Working on Patch IV (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Hard Sarge -> Working on Patch IV (2/17/2007 11:46:04 PM)

okay, just to be sure everybody knows there is work going on and we not sitting on our butts playing EU III or anything

(hmm got to order that, hear it is a good one)

some major changes to the 2nd Campaign, I will say, it can be a real joy to play as the Union, talk about going wild, but much more of a pain as the CSA

some nice changes, Training Grounds and mustering, conscripting (think build is in there two, but I checking the CSA side this time, so not sure)

Camps are different, Pop points, can be set in the at start menu (the main idea is that most areas have double the Pop points, so no hit to production if you use them up (well not as big a hit))

we got the AI building and using stuff, stuff you don't want them using if you are the CSA

as you may have seen, the promotions are set up different now

LOL, the HARD part is it has been so long since I played the released verison, I forget that all the stuff I am used to is new and not old stuff

thought I would show off my part of the ANV and how it is gaining or losing Exp as it goes along

first shot should be in Late Dec and shows how it is set up

[image]local://upfiles/1438/1D9CFCE8E5CB4B92A5984BC35B0160AA.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/17/2007 11:51:07 PM)

which as you can see, I not overly happy with some of my boys, some of them may be a little backward, but in the end, they are all good boys

also, I seemed to of changed my mind on the unit flags, I had wanted to give all of the 3rd Corps the same flag, so I could tell at a glance that they were dogs (just in case, 2nd Corps is back in Fredericksburg)

now fighting does help out the bottom line, and since the AOK is in Virg, I getting my bottom line checked every so often

last shot was in Dec, this on e is in Jan

[image]local://upfiles/1438/48D1DBFEA2D347ADB0ABB4EDCE9EA92F.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/17/2007 11:56:50 PM)

hmmm, some of that is not the best stuff, some of the boys are going backward, guess the losses are worse then the gains have been :)

now it is Feb
which of course, it may take longer to get anything good going, but I wanted to show some of the early troops and there rateings

[image]local://upfiles/1438/D42CCA06A81447D4B75A36DC380F3C01.jpg[/image]

LarryP -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 1:18:50 AM)

Nobody replied so I removed post. Besides, I was off topic maybe...

Dasara II -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 2:24:50 AM)

This patch/upgrade is looking awesome, can't wait to play it [:)]

Two changes that I am just finding out that I am looking forward to seeing in action is the new 'camp' features and the more realistic CSA starting numbers.

To me the 'camp' is more important to the south and the new rules will make for tougher decisions.

The 'Army of Lee' still looks pretty solid for Dec 1861, I think the Union will have a tough time for the next 2 years (as it should be).

P.S. keep the screen shots coming [&o]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 3:48:38 AM)

the Army of Lee is not too strong :), that one Corps is set up to stay out of the fight if it can

it is taking me some time to get any thing built, I am under big pressure down in NO, so my builds are going on deep in the south to try and save NO

will try and get some more shots of the other goodies going on

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 4:23:55 AM)

this is what i like to see, a nice little skill gain based on combat

[image]local://upfiles/1438/279C40DEDD924A8DB27F7FA540A44776.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 4:29:41 AM)

the Army of Lee fought two battles that turn, and now, the Corps of Rejects, may make me change there name, they are starting to shape up nicely

[image]local://upfiles/1438/320C3D5FEEEC49FD8A895512A7A38463.jpg[/image]

jack616 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 4:31:15 AM)

well, with all due respect, and with no intention to rain on anybody's parade...thats great sarge.  you have a game you can play.  i'm happy for you.  really, i am.  meanwhile, the rest of us who were hoping for a historical game are left instead with a half finished, romp through a harry turtledove novel, and the promise of a patch for 30-45 days.  so whoop dee do.  have fun.  maybe i'll check back in another month for a patch. 

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 4:32:51 AM)

and just in case, thought I would show off my firepower

the Union really needs to arm them selfs with better weapons

I need to pick some up

[image]local://upfiles/1438/3926E76EF0DE4FDF810A38D427EB510D.jpg[/image]

christof139 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 9:37:19 AM)

quote:

and just in case, thought I would show off my firepower

the Union really needs to arm them selfs with better weapons

I need to pick some up

It's mid 1864 now, and all my 20,000 Indians have Minie Rifles, 1 has a miss. Rifle, both cav. have Burnsides, and I have given one Horse Arty. with Quality Horses to make up for the speed loss of the HA Attribute, 1 Inf. is an Engineer and 1 ias a Sharpshooter I think. I am buyin Attributes now for my troopies all across the board. Even my Garrisons have some type of Rifle, either Enfields and Springfields through capture from defeated Union Amphip. Ops. or purchased Minie and Miss. rifles. I even have a CSA Gunboat and Ironclad. 1 Siege and 1 Field Arty are also on the way to add to my single exisiting Siege Arty. unit, but I lost my original Field Arty unit. My existing Siege Arty. has 10" rodman Columbiads, and even my Forts are getting well equipped.

I threw a wrench in the Union Economics by taking the Counterfitting Tec. Upgrade. they have a lot of troops but aren't as well equipped as me now I do believe.

The game is working good. Here's a flag for you. checkout the Graet grandd flag Thread, because i found the Chief engineer ANV flag, plus the SC Soveriegn flag is a must for the PixelPusher and a patch, along with the 43rd Illinois Veteran Inf. Regt. flag and maybe a few others. I found a lot on a CD-R from an old HD of mine, and some new stuff on the web. I like flags because they do help you to organize your troopies.

i like your Corps of Rejects, and when I play the Union I am going to have a FAT32 Corps of Incompetence led by Fat Cat halleck or Bull Nelson or Winnie Scott or someone similar. A 3 stooges Division could be led by Sigel and some of his Marxist german and hungarian revolutionary friends. You see, the US Army at one time did have Commies in its ranks, and they were generals and colonels etc. very interesting. I should report this to Agents maxwell Smart and 99. [X(][8|]

Yup.

Chris

[image]local://upfiles/23184/0C581BC7DC414373BD4992C77F269B5A.gif[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 4:19:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack616

well, with all due respect, and with no intention to rain on anybody's parade...thats great sarge. you have a game you can play. i'm happy for you. really, i am. meanwhile, the rest of us who were hoping for a historical game are left instead with a half finished, romp through a harry turtledove novel, and the promise of a patch for 30-45 days. so whoop dee do. have fun. maybe i'll check back in another month for a patch.

well, Jack, the question I got is, how do you want me to test the patches, if I don't play the game to see if it works, some people have asked for updates on how it is going, some people like to see that work is being done and how it is comeing out

we found one bug, that only happens in one type of battle field, with out playing a lot of battles, it never would of been found or known about

it is not a one day affair, now times that vs the other things needed to be worked on it, and it takes time

Twotribes -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 5:09:22 PM)

I am all for historic starting conditions and having a "historic" scenario. I think it was a bit of a mistake to not have one at release.

BUT.... The designers have explained over and over why they thought it WAS a good idea to them at the time. And it is, as they explain it, a reasonable goal to want a BALANCED game. They simply failed to ralize a lot of us would want that Historical game too.

FURTHERMORE.... as released , except a couple bugs fixed in a couple days from release, the game is COMPLETELY playable AND able to both the balance, historic and Turtledove recreation. The designers are back at work not only giving its game what the players want, but ensuring new bugs are squashed before release. AND in their defense, they rightly have chosen to modify a few things that might have been problems in a historical game, AND adding a few features now rather than later.

One could easily modify the game as released to fit the specifications they wanted in almost every case. The direction the designers took originally was for a balanced type game, changing that lead them to find, in connection with players requests, that certain changes had to happen.

I understand the frustration but take a deep breath, step back and look at the reality. It takes time to make changes, as changes are made testing has to occur, as testing occurs other changes may become neccassary. All this at no cost other than time to the purchasers of the game.

This game is VERY sound. But every change can cause a cascade of effects unintended or simply unexpected. And to be clear the changes are things the PLAYERS want. The Game designers didnt wake up last month, slap themselves on the head and say "DAMN, this is cool, lets do this , who cares how long it takes?" The changes are because of the players demands, wishes and requests. Not because the game engine doesnt work.

MorningDew -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/18/2007 6:07:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack616

well, with all due respect, and with no intention to rain on anybody's parade...thats great sarge.  you have a game you can play.  i'm happy for you.  really, i am.  meanwhile, the rest of us who were hoping for a historical game are left instead with a half finished, romp through a harry turtledove novel, and the promise of a patch for 30-45 days.  so whoop dee do.  have fun.  maybe i'll check back in another month for a patch. 

Grow up...

Gil R. -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 3:16:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

I should report this to Agents maxwell Smart and 99. [X(][8|]

Hah! It just so happens that my new prized possession is the full set of "Get Smart" on DVD. Unlike so many of those 60's shows that I used to think were funny but aren't anymore, this one hasn't aged a bit...

FlyingElvis -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 3:52:03 AM)

This is good stuff, I'm looking forward to this patch.

Yeah, EUIII is pretty damn good.

christof139 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 5:08:08 AM)

quote:

Hah! It just so happens that my new prized possession is the full set of "Get Smart" on DVD. Unlike so many of those 60's shows that I used to think were funny but aren't anymore, this one hasn't aged a bit...

What a coincidence!!! I just saw that TV add to buy the 'Get Smart' set, and that is where I got the idea, plus I do like the blatant whackiness and it is akin to the Pink Panther series.

"I am here to fix your phooohhhn."
"What 'phooohhhn'?"
"You're phooonhhhn!! That 'what phooohhhn'!! Are you trying to tell me you don't have a phooohhhnh?? Our records indicate everyone has a phooohhhnh!! Hmmph." etc.

Chris

Dasara II -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 6:01:07 AM)

Thanks for the great pics, Sarge.

You say the Union is invading New Orleans, how's that going?

Also, with all the infantry gun upgrades, have you been able to upgrade your forts?

P.S. the 'Corps of Rejects' should be promoted to 'Corps of Try Hards' [;)]

LarryP -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 8:27:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlyingElvis
This is good stuff, I'm looking forward to this patch.

Yeah, EUIII is pretty damn good.

I'm checking several times a day for this patch release! [:@][&:]

I been playing EU3 scenario "American War of Independence" and man is it tough to get the Brits out of there!

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 8:44:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dasara II

Thanks for the great pics, Sarge.

You say the Union is invading New Orleans, how's that going?

Also, with all the infantry gun upgrades, have you been able to upgrade your forts?

P.S. the 'Corps of Rejects' should be promoted to 'Corps of Try Hards' [;)]

this is from the Southern Steel Campaign, it is very HARD to come by guns, most of my Guns have come from Runners or Raiders and combat, at times, when I get a little money, I have been able to buy some, so only the Major Forts have been upgraded so far

the Attack on NO was odd, just when it looked like I would not be able to reinforce it in time, the Union broke off and started to march north (which the Union had just started to put alot of pressure into Tenn, so I am guessing it was running out of supplies and wanted some help)

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 9:12:56 PM)

Well, the Strat AI seems to be working a bit better, it is combineing it's attacks

most of the ANV is trying to march on Pittsburg

the Union Army that has been stuck in Cleveland has moved down and attacked Wheeling, while the AOP has moved on Fredericksburg

the Div from NO has joined up with the AOW and AOI, which I just drove out of Tenn last turn

I just got the hasty Ent skill, I think that may be the only thing to save me in Fredericksburg (poor troops, poor weapons and am out numbered two to one) I got a decent set up but the AI does not just charge any more, so it is not that good with out the weapons to back it up

[image]local://upfiles/1438/A6F0DD302E0A448EA5174FD0DF7472C3.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 10:51:00 PM)

a good battle, the Union put up a nasty fight for the angle, but Stonewall and Irish were able to hold there postions, though out the fire and charges (with out the hasty I gained that turn, I would of broke) some timely sorties by my Cav to hit the troops trying to move in, and then the sortie by Leadbetters div, saved the day, just as the two Bdes were about to give up

the terrain of woods and Heights payed off, as parts of the Union forces were always blocked or hampered by the trees or lakes or Rivers

not a great battle on the Unions side, but it did a decent job, once the first assult was beaten off, the Union decided to hold off

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/19/2007 11:51:56 PM)

the battle for Wheeling, looked worse then it was, I knew going in, that the AOK had taken some heavy hits from the ANV the last few months, so was not expecting it to be too stable

I was shocked to see the two Arty Batties show up, but in the end, I Was happy to see them, as now one of them is mine

over all two nice battles, but, I got a Musket and a Minnie and 15 Exp points out of them !!!!

the Gov of Tenn has supported Musters, so I have been able to fill in the Western Divs and even got a little bit of a reserve built up

Odd, I need to get the Texas Walker Div into more action, it is the best armmed Div I have

General Quarters -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 1:04:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

the Attack on NO was odd, just when it looked like I would not be able to reinforce it in time, the Union broke off and started to march north (which the Union had just started to put alot of pressure into Tenn, so I am guessing it was running out of supplies and wanted some help)

Why would it be running out of supplies? Does it just draw them from the sea?

Hard Sarge -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 4:14:17 AM)

Sea Supply is not good

if you do a Sea Landing, it has to be quick

christof139 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 11:45:48 AM)

quote:

Sea Supply is not good

didn't the yankess have fishin' poles and nets!??! I know they shot and ate Alligators in Louisiana, and Gen'l. Pickett had his shad-bake, so what the heck is the matter with those yankees coming without their fishin' poles nd nets!??! [&:]

i just don't know anynore.[&:]

Chris [>:][>:][>:][>:]

chris0827 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 2:37:45 PM)

Sea supply was the most reliable form of supply the north had. There were no Forrests or Morgans at sea. The majority of Grant's supplies during the Petersburg campaign came by sea as did Sherman's supplies in the Carolinas.

Dasara II -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 4:00:15 PM)

Nice screen shots, Sarge, thanks again.

Any chance we can see the 'Military' Listing with just Groups select, to get and an idea of your overall troop numbers.

Also, wondering how the new 'camp' system is effecting your reinforcements? Does a more populace city with a camp produce more reinforcements?

P.S. Are my eyes correct in seeing that the 'Rejects' have been promoted to 'Leadbetters' [:'(]

christof139 -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 4:21:07 PM)

Yup, it was usually but not always good. I think I impled that in my 'fishin' pole and net' etc. mildly cynical and sarcastic yet humorous metaphor/analogy type of dealie.

There were at times serious problems with supply at sea and from the North by sea. especially along the Gulf Coast, as that was a good distance to transport supplies to, and the Dry Tortugas and other bases couldn't hold enough supplies and then there were the storms and hurricanes that wreaked havoc.

Chris

General Quarters -> RE: Working on Patch IV (2/20/2007 4:39:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Sea Supply is not good

I didn't realize that. I thought the sea could supply something the size of McClellan's army forever.

Does supply get better after you capture a city?

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI