RE: Newbie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

hgilmer -> RE: Newbie (6/5/2007 5:20:13 AM)

A lot of good information here for newbies!  Some of this parallels what I knew from PacWar.  Allied subs - No good at first but become deadly as time goes on.  I always used the Big Base for Supplies theory - I start by sending it to Pearl then on to other bases as needed.  It took a lot of micromanaging. 

My ASW patrols claim they are attacking but nothing ever comes of it.  I'm trying to get my planes in India/the big Ground place up north to attack ground missions to gain exp but they don't seem to want to fly.  It took me several turns to figure out how to get ground troops to march.

So, if you put 3 CVs (allies) in one TF, does that give you a penalty on sorties?  Let's say you have 2 CVs and you are attacked and they put into the air 40 fighters.  Then for same type of attack with three CVs they might only put 54 fighters into the air?

terje439 -> RE: Newbie (6/9/2007 12:48:33 PM)

This thread is disappering too fast, so I'm back! [;)]

In my PBeM game my P40s are strafing at 100 feet against naval targets, but my question is this, how much damage do they really do? All I get on the reports are something like "DD Somename - 4 shell hits, AP Whatsitsname - 6 shell hits etc".

So do the P40s do any damage or is it like me trying to sink the USS Iowa by throwing bricks?

Terje

pauk -> RE: Newbie (6/9/2007 2:14:26 PM)

bricks.

jwilkerson -> RE: Newbie (6/9/2007 6:08:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer

A lot of good information here for newbies!  Some of this parallels what I knew from PacWar.  Allied subs - No good at first but become deadly as time goes on.  I always used the Big Base for Supplies theory - I start by sending it to Pearl then on to other bases as needed.  It took a lot of micromanaging. 

My ASW patrols claim they are attacking but nothing ever comes of it.  I'm trying to get my planes in India/the big Ground place up north to attack ground missions to gain exp but they don't seem to want to fly.  It took me several turns to figure out how to get ground troops to march.

So, if you put 3 CVs (allies) in one TF, does that give you a penalty on sorties? Let's say you have 2 CVs and you are attacked and they put into the air 40 fighters. Then for same type of attack with three CVs they might only put 54 fighters into the air?

Allied CV penalties do not affect CAP - only offensive strike missions.

rtrapasso -> RE: Newbie (6/9/2007 6:15:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

This thread is disappering too fast, so I'm back! [;)]

In my PBeM game my P40s are strafing at 100 feet against naval targets, but my question is this, how much damage do they really do? All I get on the reports are something like "DD Somename - 4 shell hits, AP Whatsitsname - 6 shell hits etc".

So do the P40s do any damage or is it like me trying to sink the USS Iowa by throwing bricks?

Terje

They can do some damage to unarmored targets, and the usual employment is to try to take out barges, PTs, etc. Alas, the latter can cause the replay bug.

Machine-gun armed planes are not great for this task, but sometimes desperata measures are called for.

Planes with cannons (P-39s, etc.) do better in this tactic.

dtravel -> RE: Newbie (6/9/2007 8:56:51 PM)

Bombers making low altitude (100 foot) attacks are also supposed to be much more accurate with their bombs according to the manual but I don't know if anyone has actually verified that this is correct.

CaptDave -> From an Effective Newbie to the Real Ones (6/10/2007 12:45:02 AM)

I've been playing the game almost since it became available, but have managed not to devote my life to it -- in terms of experience, I'm still at the newbie level. That said, here are a couple things based on previous posts.

1. General advice: when playing against the AI, do your best to ignore the rampant comments in the forum about what the AI will not do. In my mind it's unrealistic to be fully aware of the enemy's specific short- and long-term intentions, but more important, you don't want to get into a rut and then switch to PBEM. A human player has infinitely more creativity than the AI!

2. Similarly, I try to base my plans to some extent on what knowledge was available in real life, as well as what has become known in the game. When setting strategy for 1942, I try to forget what we now know happened for real. This sort of goes along with #1, since the AI will (as I understand it) pretty much follow the original script to the extent that it can.

3. I seem to be luckier than most with my submarines, although I certainly have my share of dud torpedoes. The point here is simply not to write them off as worthless.

4. Likewise, I do pretty well with my ASW air patrols, at least around Hawaii (the surface patrols do better, of course). I tend to set both my search and my ASW patrols at 6000 feet, with a combination of PBYs and otherwise-useless bombers (A20?) on ASW. Most of the PBYs go into search, and they drop the occasional bomb, as well, but the ASW patrols are the real killers here.

5. Just to reiterate #1, in a slightly modified way, forget your own experience of exactly what the AI will do and concentrate more on what it could do -- in other words, focus on your enemy's capabilities more than his intentions, just as you would on the real battlefield (of course, you still have to estimate the probability of his intentions, since your resources aren't unlimited).

6. Most important of all: have fun!

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI