RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Froonp -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/22/2008 10:50:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

Thank you for looking into this, it is always good to be sure of the interpretations of RaW. The goal of the day is complete, I have learnt something new [:)]

Hold on, I still don't have the view of the designer, which I've not given up on obtaning.
And one of us just made the same answer and argument as you did.

oscar72se -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/22/2008 4:27:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Thank you for looking into this, it is always good to be sure of the interpretations of RaW. The goal of the day is complete, I have learnt something new [:)]

Hold on, I still don't have the view of the designer, which I've not given up on obtaning.

I have read the same paragraph in RaW (for the 100th time) and noticed something which i haven't payed any attention to earlier:

Stacking applies at the end of every step and after each retreat and advance after combat (see 11.16.5). You cannot voluntarily overstack then but if it happens (whether inadvertently or unavoidably), the owner of the hex must destroy enough of the overstacked units to comply with the stacking limits. You must destroy face-up units before face-down units.

The word "then" implies that the overstacking cannot occur at the time that overstacking is checked. All of a sudden it all seems pretty clear, or? [&:]

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/22/2008 7:01:17 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have read the same paragraph in RaW (for the 100th time) and noticed something which i haven't payed any attention to earlier:

Stacking applies at the end of every step and after each retreat and advance after combat (see 11.16.5). You cannot voluntarily overstack then but if it happens (whether inadvertently or unavoidably), the owner of the hex must destroy enough of the overstacked units to comply with the stacking limits. You must destroy face-up units before face-down units.

The word "then" implies that the overstacking cannot occur at the time that overstacking is checked. All of a sudden it all seems pretty clear, or? [&:]

Not really. If you are interpretting the 'then' to mean the precise point that the step ends, well, no one is doing anything at that precise moment. Someone just says "I'm done."

oscar72se -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/23/2008 10:55:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not really. If you are interpretting the 'then' to mean the precise point that the step ends, well, no one is doing anything at that precise moment. Someone just says "I'm done."

My point is that the phrasing implies that the "voluntary overstacking bit" only applies at the time that the step ends, i.e. when someone says "I'm done." or after a retreat. That would also mean that you don't check for overstacking before the step ends.

I also like to add that I think that the game would become more realistic if the rule was to be interpreted as described above. I mean, a division of ENG could flee from a mountain range if need be (tearing down an airfield or whatever that bonus means), it's not like the pilots are keeping the engineers hostage... [:)]

Froonp -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/23/2008 11:25:21 AM)

quote:

I also like to add that I think that the game would become more realistic if the rule was to be interpreted as described above. I mean, a division of ENG could flee from a mountain range if need be (tearing down an airfield or whatever that bonus means), it's not like the pilots are keeping the engineers hostage... [:)]

The discussion is still raging on, on the MWiF Rule Discussion Group, with 25 post now.

quote:

2.3 says that voluntarily or inadvertandly overstacking is forbidden.

Situation is : An Air unit is stacked on an HQ in a mountain hex.
Question 1 : Can the HQ move, inducing the air unit destruction because of overstacking ?
Question 2 : Can the HQ move, and be replaced by another HQ or an ENG ?

At Q1 I'd answer "NO", and at Q2 I'd answer "YES". What would you say ?

Lane has the same point as you have, that is that if the answer to Q2 is "yes", answer to Q1 should be "yes" too.
But this opens up a pandora box that maybe we do not want to open.
For example, it then allows the Japanese player to overstack all his MIL in China & elsewhere, have them destroyed at the end of the movement step, and all re-appear in Japan at the start of next turn.
In fine, it happens that if you accept it is played this way, then you can delete the "You cannot voluntarily overstack then but if it happens (whether inadvertently or unavoidably)," from RAW, because you are then allowing to overstack all the time.

Also, if you answer "No" to Q1 and for consistency reasons you answer "No" to Q2, then you can't anymore exchange 2 units between two 3-stacked adjacent and surrounded hexes, which would render the game much more hard toplay in crowded fronts.

So, the best way out IMO is to say that the spirit of the rule tells us that we can't voluntarily overstack, so that moving a HQ or ENG that results in an overstack should not be permitted, except if the HQ or ENG is replaced by another before the first leave. Overstack is allowed during movement, but MUST be solved if possible before the end of the movement. In our case it can be solved by another HQ / ENG taking the place or by the HQ not leaving.

Edit : Anyway, I believe that this is the way everyone plays this rule, and there are tons of ways to deal with that smallish problems during play, so the HQ / ENG is not really stuck in place.

Zorachus99 -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (1/23/2008 5:42:36 PM)

This is consistent since you are not allowed to voluntarily destroy units.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/12/2008 12:58:37 PM)

The last/missing page for this tutorial.

[image]local://upfiles/16701/4D659E8E12894298AC7916A20D3264B5.jpg[/image]

Froonp -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/12/2008 1:40:49 PM)

quote:

The last/missing page for this tutorial.

[image]local://upfiles/16701/4D659E8E12894298AC7916A20D3264B5.jpg[/image]

Steve, what you wrote in the last paragraph is wrong.
If an US SCS or air unit with A2S factor was present, supply would NOT be cut, as long as the Japanese CP is not sunk, because 2.4.2 Option 11 is still satisfied.

Norman42 -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/12/2008 6:31:45 PM)

Patrice is correct.  The convoy in the South China Sea would have to be sunk to cut that supply route.  As long as it is still there, no number of US ships (and/or subs) will cut supply.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/12/2008 9:37:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Patrice is correct.  The convoy in the South China Sea would have to be sunk to cut that supply route.  As long as it is still there, no number of US ships (and/or subs) will cut supply.

Ah, mea culpa. I need to print RAC version 13; I was looking at my printed copy of RAC version 12, where it is ambiguous. Here is the text from version 13.

[image]local://upfiles/16701/D3A0D2846BD54D349807628935CECEF6.jpg[/image]

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/13/2008 9:01:20 AM)

How's this version?

[image]local://upfiles/16701/8F0D82CBF8AB41EB9873E44F4CB64D0D.jpg[/image]

Froonp -> RE: Tutorial #8 Zones of Control Hex Control & Stacking Limits (4/13/2008 1:19:16 PM)

quote:

How's this version?

Better IMO.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI