RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

kokubokan25 -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:11:46 PM)

1-Any information about number of new ship class slots?
2-Seems like the ship side screen will be unchanged, that's correct?

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:14:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fremen

Oops, sorry for missing that one, fremen:

1 - Many, many, many more than today.
2 - I'm not sure what you mean?

kokubokan25 -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:18:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

I mean the art ship, the art ship side, will be the same of the original WITP.

(Fremen is concerned about re-work all the ship side art...)[;)]

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:20:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I mean the art ship, the art ship side, will be the same of the original WITP.

(Fremen is concerned about re-work all the ship side art...)[;)]

Yep, same ship and plane art format as before.

ctangus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:37:09 PM)

1. What is naval support & how does that work?

2. How are the port size restrictions implemented? In other words, what constitutes overstacking (# of ships? tonnage?) and what sorts of overstacking penalties are there?

3. A follow-up to the ship repair question: Once I have my 5 ships at Pearl prioritized is only ship #1 worked on? Or is it simply more likely to be worked on? Are their limits to the # of ships that can be repaired?

Brady -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:41:31 PM)

1) Will PT's now have to be suported by a deicated unit or tender or do they operate the same as before. Is this true for midgets as well,that is do they require a speciality base force or a tender?

2) Are captured ships now in the game?

3) Are Russian Naval assests represented? (Tie Navy?)

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:46:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

1. What is naval support & how does that work?

2. How are the port size restrictions implemented? In other words, what constitutes overstacking (# of ships? tonnage?) and what sorts of overstacking penalties are there?

3. A follow-up to the ship repair question: Once I have my 5 ships at Pearl prioritized is only ship #1 worked on? Or is it simply more likely to be worked on? Are their limits to the # of ships that can be repaired?

1. That's one of the things I'm not clear on myself. I'll go look that up.

2. Pretty simply. Every port has a maximum tonnage capacity, and anything beyond that can only anchor there.

3. All ships are worked on, but in order of priority, up to the shipyard's capacity (separate from port capacity).

mlees -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:46:43 PM)

My apologies if this has already been asked:

Ship damage modeling. I notice that in WiTP it can take a couple days for a ship to succumb to damage.

For example, U.S.S. UberWahoo can hit a transport with three torps, and the ship may not sink from the original damage effects for 2 or more days. (I am not talking about disabled, then scuttled, like RL Hornet or Hiryu.

Rarely IRL does a ship last more than several hours, if it is definately going to sink. (At least, that is my impression. I have not made a study of the issue.)

Is the ship damage & effects routine going to be modified from current stock?

Grotius -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:47:31 PM)

I noticed two numbers relating to shipping tonnage in the Hiroshima screenshot. I take it that's max/current tonnage? Is there a hard cap on the number of ships in port, or do you pay some sort of penalty once you exceed the max?

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:48:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

1) Will PT's now have to be suported by a deicated unit or tender or do they operate the same as before. Is this true for midgets as well,that is do they require a speciality base force or a tender?

1) That's still being worked on.

2) Not planned for the AE release.

3) No.

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:49:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Is the ship damage & effects routine going to be modified from current stock?

Definitely. Brand new damage and effects routine; I can't go into real deep detail at this point, but it's being extensively remodeled.

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:50:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I noticed two numbers relating to shipping tonnage in the Hiroshima screenshot. I take it that's max/current tonnage? Is there a hard cap on the number of ships in port, or do you pay some sort of penalty once you exceed the max?

Once you get to maximum tonnage, you can't dock further ships at the port, and so not refuel and rearm, etc. No hard cap on number of ships, but a set tonnage limit.

mlees -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:55:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

Once you get to maximum tonnage, you can't dock further ships at the port, and so not refuel and rearm, etc. No hard cap on number of ships, but a set tonnage limit.

Will the ships that are anchored in the "overflow" area still receive protection from the port's land based AAA?

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 6:57:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

quote:

Will the ships that are anchored in the "overflow" area still receive protection from the port's land based AAA?

I believe so, at least to some extent, but AAA is really more of an Air Team thing.

spence -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:01:23 PM)

The offensive capabilities of aircraft carriers varied from class to class based on various physical/construction attributes of the ships such as hangar space, number/size of elevators, flight deck length, whether or not the ships had arrestor gear and so forth.

In any of its present incarnations, WitP makes practically no distinction between CVs, CVLs, and CVEs other than speed and airgroup size. Is it still possible to create a CV striking force out various pieces of flotsam and jetsam (the mini-KB comes to mind but I can envision 50 USN CVE's getting together and launching anti-shipping strikes in the late war)?

Dixie -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:03:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

Cool, this should make it more worthwhile to try and take some of the islands and atols like Manus Island to use as forward bases [8D]

Brady -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:08:48 PM)

I asume thier are more weapons types field on some ship's? From research I did for CF development I found many weapons system isue with Japanese ship classes based on the stock game, many ship types did not for example have the Depth charges they should (including CA's) and many AA guns were just plane missing from ships, has this been looked at for the update?

Also some ship types that could carry and deploy mines in the stock WiTP game could not preform this function, is this now posable? a Dual mishion type? Japanese CS class's for emample can they lay mines? or Suport midget's, and or carry float planes?

bobogoboom -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:20:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I noticed in one of the screenshots that there was a link something like "Show all ships of the US Pacific Fleet". Will ships/TFs be assigned to commands (SWPAC, SOPAC, etc.) now like LCU/Bases/Etc.? Or was this more of a nationality thing (US Fleet, RN, IJN)?

Yep, all ships are assigned to HQ's now.

Is there a penalty for operating outside your hq area?

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:20:14 PM)

There's a lot changes along the lines you're talking about, Brady. I can't really go into specifics for the reasons I gave in the first post in this thread.

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:24:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I noticed in one of the screenshots that there was a link something like "Show all ships of the US Pacific Fleet". Will ships/TFs be assigned to commands (SWPAC, SOPAC, etc.) now like LCU/Bases/Etc.? Or was this more of a nationality thing (US Fleet, RN, IJN)?

Yep, all ships are assigned to HQ's now.

Is there a penalty for operating outside your hq area?

We're working on how exactly to model that.

jwilkerson -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:27:21 PM)

quote:

quote:

1) That's still being worked on.

2) Not planned for the AE release.

3) No.

The Naval OOB team is a sub-team of the Naval Team and includes Tankerace, JWE, jwilkerson and Terminus. Per Justin's earlier decision I am not including any captured ships in the IJN warship OOB (otherwise we run risk of having hundreds of ships running around with two incarnations). And as to the Soviets, I know we haven't worked on it yet, but I do know there has been some interest, so even if it doesn't make the initial release, I wouldn't rule it out forever.
But as to the omission of captured ships in the IJN OOB, we are also adding many ships that were not included in stock, so the net/net is probably at least a detectable increase in number of hulls.

bobogoboom -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:28:32 PM)

wow now we know why you haven't been spamming the thread like normal[:D]

SargeantTex -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:37:00 PM)

Will the Midway Class CVs be included?

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:41:57 PM)

I'm not sure at the moment. OOB is still being built, and it's a bigg'un! Won't promise what I don't know.

Jim D Burns -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:44:15 PM)

Do the allies still have to lose 4 CV's to get the four hulls that were renamed in the honor of lost CV's?

Jim

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:46:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Do the allies still have to lose 4 CV's to get the four hulls that were renamed in the honor of lost CV's?

Jim

That's a respawn issue, and as said previously, respawn is now something that can be turned off. At the moment, we're looking at a respawn scenario for the master grand campaign, but it's still a way's off until release.

Brady -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:48:56 PM)

COOL, so we might see some of the Japanese Army ships and sub's?

With this new smaller hex size are we going to see some representation of the Japanese woden hulled merchant marine, I know the shear size of this fleat is stagerining in terms of hulls but most front line bases were suplied in part from these ships, particularly the larger ones, to barge hubs.

Also if so modeled, or represented, will the vast woden hulled ship building industry be represented in some way? Their were woden hulled ship building yards all over the far east.

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:53:26 PM)

quote:

COOL, so we might see some of the Japanese Army ships and sub's?

With this new smaller hex size are we going to see some representation of the Japanese woden hulled merchant marine, I know the shear size of this fleat is stagerining in terms of hulls but most front line bases were suplied in part from these ships, particularly the larger ones, to barge hubs.

Also if so modeled, or represented, will the vast woden hulled ship building industry be represented in some way? Their were woden hulled ship building yards all over the far east.

There will be some of the Army types, yes. As you said, however, the Jap "water taxis" are simply too numerous and too poorly detailed in sources, plus we decided that the return on investment would be too low. So no...

whippleofd -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:53:28 PM)

quote:

2. Pretty simply. Every port has a maximum tonnage capacity, and anything beyond that can only anchor there.

SWEETNESS!

Whipple

Jim D Burns -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (12/7/2007 7:54:43 PM)

quote:

That's a respawn issue, and as said previously, respawn is now something that can be turned off. At the moment, we're looking at a respawn scenario for the master grand campaign, but it's still a way's off until release.

Sorry Terminus, I guess I should have been a bit clearer. My question is are the Essex class hulls that were historically already under construction and then renamed when current CV’s were sunk a part of the grand campaign scenario as their own ship, or do they only appear as respawns as in the current stock campaign?

Jim

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI