RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/21/2008 12:29:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Looking at screenshots page I saw a base screen that had what I believe was a max fortifications in parenthesis. I know that there is a max limit on fortifications but my question is if we can Overbuild fortifications like we do for ports and airbases?

I believe that the max fort size value is a hard limit, with no overbuilding. This feature is mainly intended to limit the amount of fort building on small atolls.

Andrew

wgs_explorer -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/22/2008 3:36:49 AM)

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be possible--and I know this is nit-picking--to change the font in the Admiral's Edition to a different (for me, more readable) font. Some sort of sans serif font hopefully.

Bill

mussey -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/26/2008 6:11:30 PM)

I know it's too late, but for future updates is it possible to alter the orientation of the map so that Australia is almost angled 'north'? The map would rotate counter-clockwise. I quess India would then tilt 'down', USA would tilt 'up', using the S. Pacific as the axis. I get tired as the Japs fighting 'uphill' into India[:D]

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 1:07:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

I know it's too late, but for future updates is it possible to alter the orientation of the map so that Australia is almost angled 'north'? The map would rotate counter-clockwise. I quess India would then tilt 'down', USA would tilt 'up', using the S. Pacific as the axis. I get tired as the Japs fighting 'uphill' into India[:D]

As soon as you bring back Euclid Beach Park...[;)]

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 1:14:43 AM)

With this larger map, might we finally get to see the labelling of "The Bungo Straits" ala "Run Silent, Run Deep"?

mussey -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 1:59:52 AM)

Ah..the park is closed, but not forgotten. I can still see the laughing fat lady.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 12:36:28 PM)

quote:

Sorry but the map orientation is the same as stock. If another part of the map was realigned to true North then it would have just shifted the other parts around some more.

Andrew

mussey -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 5:03:46 PM)

Andrew, I know what you mean - one would have to decide what part of this map to orientate north. Some part has to be hanging (either India or West Coast USA). I love the map and I know how much work there is in coding it, there is nothing else like it in gaming and I hate to be a critic. Maybe for AE2 the places where there is the most battle (and where we would spend the most time fighting) ie Rabaul/Soloman's should be true north. Of course that would leave SF up in the air, but they can handle it![:'(] Kowabonga

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 7:06:06 PM)

On a map of this size you pretty much have to put the middle portion in the north-south orientation and then build the rest of the map around that. The only way to get it all correct would be to use a spherical map - but then you'd have to add in the rest of the world. Admit it, that's what we'd all really like to see...

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/27/2008 10:52:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

On a map of this size you pretty much have to put the middle portion in the north-south orientation and then build the rest of the map around that. The only way to get it all correct would be to use a spherical map - but then you'd have to add in the rest of the world. Admit it, that's what we'd all really like to see...

Indeed, but have you ever tried to make a 2D hex based representation of a sphere? [:)]

mussey -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 2:22:22 AM)

Hey Brad, my geology stuff I learned many moons ago is rusty. What is a spherical map? Also for AE2, is there a way for users to rotate the angle of the map while in play. Some other games already have that feature.

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 3:14:06 AM)

quote:

Hey Brad, my geology stuff I learned many moons ago is rusty. What is a spherical map? Also for AE2, is there a way for users to rotate the angle of the map while in play. Some other games already have that feature.

I believe they mean like a peeled orange..

mussey -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 3:53:58 AM)

Andrew, for AE3 or 4 we need you to configure spherical hexes for a spherical map. We keep you hopping, yes?[sm=innocent0001.gif] Never mind me.

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 8:11:29 AM)

I'm happy with the expanded map as it is, I dont want teasers of the map.

I do want the guys to proceed with as few interruptions as possible so that we actually get the game.

PS, when is "Summer 08" Ours has just finished!!

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 8:17:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Indeed, but have you ever tried to make a 2D hex based representation of a sphere? [:)]

Like a soccer ball? Just a whole lot more hexes...

and no, I don't expect you to create one - but you've got to admit that all us WITP nutcases would love to have the whole world to play with...

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 2:29:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Don't worry, we have another one at the end of the year...

Andrew

(PS: It hasn't quite finished - we still have our leap day. Edit - speaking of leap years, is there a Feb 29th in 1944 in WitP? If not that is a bug [:)])

EnricoR -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 3:44:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

Andrew

(PS: It hasn't quite finished - we still have our leap day. Edit - speaking of leap years, is there a Feb 29th in 1944 in WitP? If not that is a bug [:)])

Hi

In my game against the AI was none Feb 29th 1944.

Greets
Enrico

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 4:42:57 PM)

I'm a huge fan of AB's maps. Can't wait to see the AE version. I'm hoping there are alot more North American bases though.

Don Bowen -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 6:07:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I'm a huge fan of AB's maps. Can't wait to see the AE version. I'm hoping there are alot more North American bases though.

T'will, T'will.

During my navy days, I was stationed at a West Coast Naval Weapons Station and on two ships out of different ports. One of the ports was large and in stock, the other small and wasn't. And Naval Weapons Stations are always located far from major ports so explosions won't damage the tax base. They're all in AE, and much, much more.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 7:04:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

T'will, T'will.

During my navy days, I was stationed at a West Coast Naval Weapons Station and on two ships out of different ports. One of the ports was large and in stock, the other small and wasn't. And Naval Weapons Stations are always located far from major ports so explosions won't damage the tax base. They're all in AE, and much, much more.

This is just going to be too cool...can't wait guys.[&o]

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/28/2008 11:08:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

Andrew

So what was the 19c about yesterday??

If 44 isnt a leap year then 42 was

EnricoR -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/29/2008 12:38:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Andrew

So what was the 19c about yesterday??

If 44 isnt a leap year then 42 was

1944 was a leap year.

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/29/2008 4:51:18 AM)

IIRC the rule about leap year is

(1) If divisible by 4 it is a ly.

(2) Except if it is divisible by 100 then it is not.

(3) Except if it is divisible by 400 then it is.

So for example y2000 was a leap year. It is divisible by 4 (it is a LY) ... it is divisible by 100 (it is NOT a LY) ... it is divisible by 400 (is IS a LY).

1944 is divisible by 4 hence it is a LY.

1942 is not divisible by 4 hence it is not a LY.

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/29/2008 6:06:48 AM)

I guess that you mean "evenly divisible" as they are all divisible by any number, you just don't come up with a nice, round number as a result.

And yes, it is apparent that one part of my anatomy is smart... too bad the rest can't seem to catch up!

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/29/2008 6:07:56 AM)

Sorry, as a mathematician by training, I use the term in the technical sense. Yes, evenly divisble.

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (2/29/2008 2:16:53 PM)

Will the new hex size allow the labelling of places like Simpson Harbor?

msieving1 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/1/2008 10:42:29 PM)

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but with the 40 mile hexes, Kwajalein Atoll should be three hexes.  You've got Kwajalein Island and Ebeye in the south, Roi-Namur about 40 miles to the north, and Ebadon about 40 miles west of Roi-Namur.  The Japanese put a naval base and seaplane base at Kwajalein Is and Ebeye, and the main air base at Roi-Namur; they never developed the western portion of the atoll.

Kwajalein is the largest atoll in the world, but there are a few other large atolls that could conceivably be spread over two hexes. 

CapAndGown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/2/2008 5:21:46 AM)

I have been away for quite a while, but i do want to comment on the map: I liked AB's art work much more than the standards map. It was much easier with AB's map to tell the terrain type. I hope the new map uses the full hex type art of AB's map.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/2/2008 2:56:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Will the new hex size allow the labelling of places like Simpson Harbor?

The map is bigger but not by that much. There are not really many more labels on the map (currently) than there are on my WitP map.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/2/2008 3:04:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but with the 40 mile hexes, Kwajalein Atoll should be three hexes. You've got Kwajalein Island and Ebeye in the south, Roi-Namur about 40 miles to the north, and Ebadon about 40 miles west of Roi-Namur. The Japanese put a naval base and seaplane base at Kwajalein Is and Ebeye, and the main air base at Roi-Namur; they never developed the western portion of the atoll.

Kwajalein is the largest atoll in the world, but there are a few other large atolls that could conceivably be spread over two hexes.

You are right about Kwajalein, although due to the placement of the hex grid on the AE map it ends up covering two hexes, not three (with Roi-Namur and Ebadon occupying opposite edges of the more Northern hex, and Kwajalein Island in an adjacent hex).

The only other two-hex "atoll" on the map that I can think of is the Babeldaob/Peleliu pairing. Technically there is another one in French Polynesia, but there are so many atolls there that it makes up part of a mass of adjacent atoll hexes.

Andrew

Andrew

Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI