RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Shark7 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/20/2008 3:48:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

quote:

So what do you suggest when one side is in a 3 - 3 base and the other guy is in the same hex...but no fighting occurs today ...but it does on Wednesday...but not on thursday and maybe resumes on Saturday?

Try to picture the reality of the situation.... if opposing units are occupying the same lump of coral then they can be considered 'in combat' even if they are not actively shooting at each other - the guys are forced to spend their days and nights sitting in foxholes or on patrol and a a result getting bitten by mozzies, eaten by scorpions, and generally feeling irritated - thus a morale penalty. If on the other hand the particular lump of coral is secure then the majority of personnel can be assumed to NOT be 'suffering' in this way - thus no penalty. Make sense?? 

Or in more simplistic terms, think trench warfare from WWI. When the zone is hot, you end up sleeping in a muddy hole in the ground waiting to get shot. When the zone has a few bad guys still roaming around, but you aren't expecting a major attack, you are still sleeping in muddy hole in the ground, just not as worried about getting shot.

Basically, it's the muddy hole in the ground that affects morale the most. No one likes trench foot.

Now then, if you are in a well built base in a very secure area, well you are sleeping on a cot in a barracks, not in a muddy hole in the ground.

Feinder -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/20/2008 5:51:47 AM)

Will there be indicators on map for the various strategic targets?  I saw some maps that had a red dot for rersources, black dot for oil, etc...  Will there be something like that?  Or perhaps a toggle to show/remove them, like the ZOCs of units?

-F-

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/20/2008 2:10:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Will there be indicators on map for the various strategic targets? I saw some maps that had a red dot for rersources, black dot for oil, etc... Will there be something like that? Or perhaps a toggle to show/remove them, like the ZOCs of units?

-F-

No. But if I get time I might make such a map, with some symbols showing major locations of oil, resources and production.

Andrew

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/21/2008 2:52:07 PM)

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/pacific_islands_1943_1945.html[:)]

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/26/2008 10:51:09 PM)

Some questions regarding Dutch East Indies.

Will Teloekbetoeng be renamed to Oosthaven?
Will Buitenzorg and Kalidjati on the Map?

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/31/2008 3:04:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/pacific_islands_1943_1945.html[:)]

Thanks again!

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/31/2008 3:06:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harald Velemans

Some questions regarding Dutch East Indies.

Will Teloekbetoeng be renamed to Oosthaven?

I have left it as "Teloekbetoeng" because the Dutch map I have shows both names, but "Teloekbetoeng" is the larger of the two according to the map symbols. What is your opinion?

quote:

Will Buitenzorg and Kalidjati on the Map?

Yes.

Andrew

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (3/31/2008 11:37:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
I have left it as "Teloekbetoeng" because the Dutch map I have shows both names, but "Teloekbetoeng" is the larger of the two according to the map symbols. What is your opinion?

Definitely Oosthaven!

Every dutch reference book (and I own more than one) on the Dutch East Indies/Pacific War campaign mentions Oosthaven, Teloekbetoeng isn't mentioned at all. Teloekbetoeng is the dutch version of Telukbetung (former name of Bandar Lampung). Oosthaven was the most important port in southern Sumatra. Most Troops evacuating from Sumatra to Java used this port.

Harald

treespider -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/1/2008 1:50:04 AM)

I have a UK history of the campaign that refers to it as Oosthaven....

The War Against Japan, Vol 1, by Maj General S. Woodburn Kirby

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/1/2008 3:17:27 AM)

quote:

Definitely Oosthaven!

Oosthaven it is then.

Thanks,
Andrew

Alikchi2 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 1:24:08 PM)

Quick query. Why 40 mile hexes specifically? Why not 30 or 20? Not a criticism, just interested to hear the theory behind this.

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 1:47:21 PM)

Think it was a compromise between detail and sheer size of the map and hex definition file, but Andrew will know for sure.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 1:49:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

Quick query. Why 40 mile hexes specifically? Why not 30 or 20? Not a criticism, just interested to hear the theory behind this.

The reason the map wasn't made in a smaller scale than 40 (nautical) miles per hex is a simple one - it would have been too much work. Even reducing the scale to 40 NM/hex involved a doubling of the number of hexes on the map. Reducing the scale to 30 NM/hex would have doubled that number again.

Andrew

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 1:50:07 PM)

Well there you go, then.

Alikchi2 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 2:08:53 PM)

quote:

The reason the map wasn't made in a smaller scale than 40 (nautical) miles per hex is a simple one - it would have been too much work. Even reducing the scale to 40 NM/hex involved a doubling of the number of hexes on the map. Reducing the scale to 30 NM/hex would have doubled that number again.

Andrew

Ack! I can definitely empathize with that.

How has the larger map affected gameplay so far?

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 2:17:56 PM)

Too early to tell. It's slowed down a bit in testing, but a big part of that is also that the .exe hasn't been fully optimized for speed yet.

treespider -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 3:44:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

Andrew

One of the other considerations that was taken into account was that if you start to get into much smaller hexes you would need an entirely new engine for Naval Combat...you have to consider that the main guns on some of the Battleships have ranges of circa 20 miles.... plus the physical horizon for spotting would start to come into play.

You would then have to design a system capable of handling engagements between TFs in adjacent hexes.

witpqs -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/4/2008 7:27:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Too early to tell. It's slowed down a bit in testing, but a big part of that is also that the .exe hasn't been fully optimized for speed yet.

Speaking of speed (different kind), current max TF speed is 6/6. What is it with the 40 mile hexes? Did you go with 9/9, or slice it a different way?

Q-Ball -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/11/2008 11:41:15 PM)

Please move this if it's not the place for a Japanese Production Question.......and I apologize if already asked/answered.

Will there be a "Master Switch" to turn on/off aspects of the Japanese Industry? Or a handy quick screen to quickly turn factories on/off? Right now it's a pain to search for all the various production lines and turn factories on/off constantly. It would be nice to have a reference for what is on, what is off, and where it all is exactly.

witpqs -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/12/2008 1:08:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Speaking of speed (different kind), current max TF speed is 6/6. What is it with the 40 mile hexes? Did you go with 9/9, or slice it a different way?

Bump

pad152 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/12/2008 3:11:18 AM)

When can we see some pics of the full map?

2ndACR -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/12/2008 4:46:02 AM)

Just think.........the new WIR is supposed to have 10 mile hexes...............god it will be huge.

Speedysteve -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/13/2008 10:00:22 PM)

[8D]

Menser -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/16/2008 3:12:57 AM)

Andrew,
I remember from Pacwar a utility I found extreamly useful ...and would be extramly useful here with the smaller view of the theater screen. It was a button you hit to show the max ranges of possible (hypotheticle?) enemy LBA ranges. Could that utlity be included on?

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (4/22/2008 8:56:28 PM)

Hi Andrew,

in vanilla/stock the only base on Madoera is Pamekasan. But all the dutch troops on Madoera were located at Bangkalan. Maybe you could move the base west. If the Japanese invade Soerabaja, they must pass through Bangkalan (and take some fire from the artillery batteries located there). Situation is the same as in Manila.

There weren't any Oil wells at Ambon (Amboina in stock), but in Boela (Bulla in stock) on Ceram.

cheers
Harald

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/3/2008 4:43:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Menser

Andrew,
I remember from Pacwar a utility I found extreamly useful ...and would be extramly useful here with the smaller view of the theater screen. It was a button you hit to show the max ranges of possible (hypotheticle?) enemy LBA ranges. Could that utlity be included on?

Unfortunately this isn't included.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/3/2008 4:43:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

When can we see some pics of the full map?

That is up to Matrix, not me.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/3/2008 4:47:04 PM)

quote:

Hi Andrew,

in vanilla/stock the only base on Madoera is Pamekasan. But all the dutch troops on Madoera were located at Bangkalan. Maybe you could move the base west. If the Japanese invade Soerabaja, they must pass through Bangkalan (and take some fire from the artillery batteries located there). Situation is the same as in Manila.

Unfortunately the map in this area is not good - it suffers from the large'ish scale. Bangkalan is actually drawn as part of the Soerabaja hex itself. This is one place that I might be able to tweak in the future, but no promises.

quote:

There weren't any Oil wells at Ambon (Amboina in stock), but in Boela (Bulla in stock) on Ceram.

cheers
Harald

Thanks Harald, I have taken note of this bit of info. By the way - which do you think is more correct (I have seen both used)? Amboina or Ambon? I do use Boela (as I do on my WitP 1 map)

Andrew

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 1:38:28 AM)

quote:

Thanks Harald, I have taken note of this bit of info. By the way - which do you think is more correct (I have seen both used)? Amboina or Ambon? I do use Boela (as I do on my WitP 1 map)

Andrew

Amboina is the island's dutch name. Ambon is the main town. The KNIL and KM HQs were located at Ambon.
Sometimes the island is called Ambon too. So both are correct, but the base's name should be Ambon.
Boela is Bula's (not Bulla) dutch name.

Since you mentioned your WitP 1 map....
The then dutch name for Belitung is Billiton and not Belitoeng. Belitoeng is a present day dutch name for Belitung.

Harald

Blackhorse -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 6:44:50 AM)

quote:

Since you mentioned your WitP 1 map....
The then dutch name for Belitung is Billiton and not Belitoeng. Belitoeng is a present day dutch name for Belitung.

Harald

If Belitung used to be Belliton, and is now Belitoeng, when was it Belitung? [sm=crazy.gif]

Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI