RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 11:43:13 AM)

[/quote]

If Belitung used to be Belliton, and is now Belitoeng, when was it Belitung? [sm=crazy.gif]

[/quote]

Todays name is Belitung, indonesian obviously. In dutch this will translate to Belitoeng (u in dutch is oe).[:D]
But during colonial times the island was known as Billiton.[;)]

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 11:46:54 AM)

from britannica.com[&o]

quote:

Belitung
or Billiton

Island, Bangka-Belitung province, west-central Indonesia.

Lying on the Karimata Strait between the islands of Bangka (west) and Borneo (northeast), it is situated between the South China Sea (north) and Java Sea (south). It is some 55 mi (90 km) long and 45 mi (70 km) wide, with an area of about 1,850 sq mi (4,800 sq km). The main town and port is Tanjungpandan. Belitung was ceded to the British in 1812 by the sultan of Palembang, Sumatra, but Britain recognized the Dutch claim in 1824. The island became part of Indonesia after World War II. It is important for its tin mines, discovered in 1851.

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 11:51:03 AM)

Encyclopedia Britannica is quite a good source, but my subscription has ended (51$ [:@] a year)....

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 3:23:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harald Velemans
Amboina is the island's dutch name. Ambon is the main town. The KNIL and KM HQs were located at Ambon.
Sometimes the island is called Ambon too. So both are correct, but the base's name should be Ambon.
Boela is Bula's (not Bulla) dutch name.

Since you mentioned your WitP 1 map....
The then dutch name for Belitung is Billiton and not Belitoeng. Belitoeng is a present day dutch name for Belitung.

Harald

Thanks. So the base should be Ambon, not Amboina.

As for Belitung - to confirm your comment - the Dutch called it Billiton during the war, but now call it Belitoeng? Why the change?

Andrew

rjopel -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 3:52:57 PM)

To annoy future mapmakers and historians.

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/4/2008 9:08:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Thanks. So the base should be Ambon, not Amboina.

As for Belitung - to confirm your comment - the Dutch called it Billiton during the war, but now call it Belitoeng? Why the change?

Andrew

No change at all. Belitung/Billiton is the correct name for that island. But if someone doesn't know that its former dutch name was Billiton Belitung could be called Belitoeng - changing the u for an oe.

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/6/2008 10:55:05 AM)

Just rename the island BHP Billiton[8D]

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/6/2008 10:58:23 AM)

On a serious note:

In CHS 2.08, when you occupy Japan, 1 base (I think Wakkanakai) goes to a Soviet HQ control depite US Army capturing it.

Japanese bases do not allow Compter controlled resupply, design intention or bug?

Hopefully fixed for AE!

Blackhorse -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/6/2008 11:33:59 AM)

quote:

Todays name is Belitung, indonesian obviously. In dutch this will translate to Belitoeng (u in dutch is oe).[:D]
But during colonial times the island was known as Billiton.[;)]

If everybody was learned to speak good American, we would not have all these language problems . . .

[8D]

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/6/2008 11:55:17 AM)

And how many Americans can speak good American, 1 or is it 2??[:D]

Alikchi2 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/8/2008 3:26:19 AM)

So, will the new map include some of the islands missing from the original map, ie Labuan or the Paracels? Some of the larger islands in the Paracels can support airfields, as could Labuan.

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 12:27:35 AM)

Checked the DB, and... no... Sorry.

Blackhorse -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 2:53:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

All Americans speak good American . . . we jest speak diff'rent dialects, which is why no one unnerstans us, and we-all can't unnerstan each other.

treespider -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 3:20:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

All Americans speak good American . . . we jest speak diff'rent dialects, which is why no one unnerstans us, and we-all can't unnerstan each other.

Y'all ain't from 'round here.

As a fine example the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has two large cities Philadelphia in the East and Pittsburgh in the West. Pittsburgh IIRc is a 6 hour car ride to the west. People in Philadelphia refer to a carbonated drink such as Coa-Cola as "soda", whereas the fine citizens of Pittsburgh refer to the same exact beverage as "pop".

Now a person from Philadelphia who travels to Pittsburgh and orders a "soda" will receive a Coca-Cola with a large scoop of ice cream in it...whereas the person from Pittsburgh who walks into the the store in Philadelphia and asks the clerk where his "pop" is, may get into a fight because the clerk cannot understand why somebody wants to see his father....

Don Bowen -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 5:20:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Y'all ain't from 'round here.

As a fine example the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has two large cities Philadelphia in the East and Pittsburgh in the West. Pittsburgh IIRc is a 6 hour car ride to the west. People in Philadelphia refer to a carbonated drink such as Coa-Cola as "soda", whereas the fine citizens of Pittsburgh refer to the same exact beverage as "pop".

Now a person from Philadelphia who travels to Pittsburgh and orders a "soda" will receive a Coca-Cola with a large scoop of ice cream in it...whereas the person from Pittsburgh who walks into the the store in Philadelphia and asks the clerk where his "pop" is, may get into a fight because the clerk cannot understand why somebody wants to see his father....

Head a little further West and you'll find that folks call all carbonated soft drinks "Coke" - in the same manner that all facial tissues are Kleenex. I have ordered a Coke and been asked what kind - they had Coke-cola, Big Red and Dr. Pepper.

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 7:05:43 AM)

Don, I always ran into that terminology in the south, not the west (indeed, I was surprised at Treespider's not mentioning it as surely in Chattanooga they call all soft drinks "coke"). Or is it just because I lived for so many years in Georgia, which is definitely "coke" territory?

It used to be that this sequesnce would bring a lot of laughter:

"Could you get me a coke?"

"Okay, what flavor do you want?"

Nowadays the CocaCola company has so many different versions of their own drink that the joke falls as flat as a three day old Pepsi...

treespider -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 3:05:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Don, I always ran into that terminology in the south, not the west (indeed, I was surprised at Treespider's not mentioning it as surely in Chattanooga they call all soft drinks "coke"). Or is it just because I lived for so many years in Georgia, which is definitely "coke" territory?

It used to be that this sequesnce would bring a lot of laughter:

"Could you get me a coke?"

"Okay, what flavor do you want?"

Nowadays the CocaCola company has so many different versions of their own drink that the joke falls as flat as a three day old Pepsi...

I cited the Pennsylvania example because the difference exists within the same state. I attended Penn State many years ago and the "soda" vs "pop" was a topic for great debates....of course nothing was settled when the Orange Crush can was pulled out and the description on the can referred to "soda pop"

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 4:47:14 PM)

quote:

Just rename the island BHP Billiton[8D]

Hehe, this game is set a few years before BHP - Billiton merger. But the map contains the Billiton base (well, soon to be remaned Billiton - I just checked my source maps and I found that name on the very bottom corner of one of my Borneo maps. Never noticed it before [:)]), as well as Broken Hill. Both with resources present, of course.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 5:27:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

So, will the new map include some of the islands missing from the original map, ie Labuan or the Paracels? Some of the larger islands in the Paracels can support airfields, as could Labuan.

To expand on the answer Terminus already provided - The Paracels are too small to make it onto my island list (cutoff is > 5 sq km, although there are some exceptions - usually bases already included in WitP even though they are smaller. I also usually count atolls in agregate). Labuan isn't included because the way the map is drawn it doesn't get its own hex. Too close to the North Borneo coast at the map scale.

Andrew

Dili -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/9/2008 7:36:46 PM)

Damn, i cant edit a fight with Sandokan against English Armored Cruisers and Frigates...:D

Alikchi2 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/10/2008 6:40:02 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

To expand on the answer Terminus already provided - The Paracels are too small to make it onto my island list (cutoff is > 5 sq km, although there are some exceptions - usually bases already included in WitP even though they are smaller. I also usually count atolls in agregate). Labuan isn't included because the way the map is drawn it doesn't get its own hex. Too close to the North Borneo coast at the map scale.

Andrew

Fair enough. Thanks very much. [:)]

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/10/2008 4:08:31 PM)

quote:

POMALAA NICKEL MINES AND FERRONICKEL SMELTING PLANT

Pomalaa is a small town situated at the Gulf of Bone, Southeast Sulawesi Province, four hours drive from Kendari, the capital of the province, or an hour flight from Ujung Pandang, the capital of South Sulawesi.

Administratively it is under the District Administration of Kolaka, some 30 kilometers away to north. Apart from nickel, it is noted for production of cashew nut and honey

BRIEF HISTORY

In 1909 a Dutch geologist named C. Abendanon discovered nickel ore deposits in Pomalaa. Based on his reports, in 1934 Oost Borneo Maatschaappij (OBM) and Bone Tolo Maatschappij started further explorations. The samples they brought proved to have an average grade to 3 to 3.50% Ni.

After estimating a mining operation would be both technological and economically feasible, the company started building infrastructure required. All facilities and infrastructure were in place, and the company began tapping the deposits. It took about three years, however, before the company could see its first shipment of 150,000 tons of nickel ore to Japan in 1938.

When the Japan occupied the country, in 1942, Sumitomo Metal Mining Company took control of the mine, and constructed a smelting plant to process nickel ore into nickel matte. However, no single shipment of nickel matte was made due to severe defeat to Allied Forces marking the end of the World War II in 1945. The plant itself was severely leveled to earth.

After the Indonesian nation declared her independence in August 17, 1945, there were some foreign companies interested in exploring such a huge reserve of nickel ore deposits in Pomalaa. These companies were among others were Freeport Sulphur CO. from the United States , Oost Borneo Maatschappij and MMC. But it was only since 1957 the mining could run again when a private company, NV Perto, shipped the ready stock nickel ore to Japan, and then in 1959 started mining nickel deposits in Maniang Island.

Maybe some resources should be shifted from Kendari to Pomalaa.

Pomalaa is named Pomala in stock.
The dutch called it Pomela. [:D]

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/10/2008 4:09:25 PM)

forgot the link...

http://www.wirantaprawira.de/verein/div/min2.htm

Przemcio231 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 3:48:55 PM)

As far as i read there will be no Allied Production[:@][:(] is there the rep rate for the Allied planes ready?? could i see it?[:D]

And one more thing i remeber that in the Stock WITP Alor Setar in malaya was named Alor Star... i remeber reading somewhere (Bloody Shambles) that the base should be named Alor Setar not Star...

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 3:55:00 PM)

quote:

Maybe some resources should be shifted from Kendari to Pomalaa.

Pomalaa is named Pomala in stock.
The dutch called it Pomela. [:D]

I did already. Although the base is called Kolaka, rather than Pomalaa.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 3:56:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

As far as i read there will be no Allied Production[:@][:(] is there the rep rate for the Allied planes ready?? could i see it?[:D]

Yes, the Allied aircraft production is similar to stock, with some on-map factories plus a lot of off-map production. You will need to ask in the air thread about production levels.

Andrew

Przemcio231 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 4:02:24 PM)

Thanks for the answer Andy one more thing about map in my edited post above[;)]

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 4:12:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231
And one more thing i remeber that in the Stock WITP Alor Setar in malaya was named Alor Star... i remeber reading somewhere (Bloody Shambles) that the base should be named Alor Setar not Star...

Most of my sources show "Alor Star". I have yet to read Bloody Shambles so can't comment on that source.

Andrew

Dutch_slith -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/13/2008 6:01:40 PM)

quote:

I did already. Although the base is called Kolaka, rather than Pomalaa.

Andrew

Kolaka is just fine...

I've just read that Babo (on New Guinea) had some oil wells.
In stock there're none....

Flying Tiger -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (5/15/2008 6:56:30 AM)

On a slightly different topic.....

are you planning on revising some of the max values of bases? Many of the islands in the Solomons chain in particular were potentially useable airfields, but were never developed. In WitP they are almost all listed as 0:0 bases. This is a little harsh - especially considering some tiny atolls are given higher ratings. Many of these bases should have an airfield rating of 1 or more, and some also have good natural harbours which could have been developed if needed. I noticed that many of the bases in the Aleutians were changed in CHS, but the south Pacific area generally remained the same. Just because they were not developed historically does not mean they could not have been.

Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI