RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Captain Ed -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (7/20/2008 5:27:38 PM)

Is Esquimalt Harbour on Vancouver Island on the map. We did have a rather large drydock here during the war, big enough to take the Hood if I remember.

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (7/20/2008 5:49:27 PM)

In CHS, Victoria has a shipyard - so my guess is that AE will include it as well.

m10bob -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 12:18:16 PM)

Fan of Andrews' maps from day one, I am wondering if the hexes will have a uniform distance, regardless of water or land?..In vanilla, it was fudged.(Vanilla fudge!Good band but lousy for maps.)[8D]

rockmedic109 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 1:45:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Fan of Andrews' maps from day one, I am wondering if the hexes will have a uniform distance, regardless of water or land?..In vanilla, it was fudged.(Vanilla fudge!Good band but lousy for maps.)[8D]

Also good for ice cream.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 3:00:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

In CHS, Victoria has a shipyard - so my guess is that AE will include it as well.

Yes it does.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 3:12:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Yes the scale is uniform, within the limits of the map projection, with no difference between how land and sea distances are treated.

There are two exceptions though: India and North America, which are both at the edges of the map, have been "shortened" a little to make the map more aesthetically appealing. This shortening also has the effect of making the land distances, and air ranges, in these areas more accurate, at the expense of introducing an equivalent sized error in sea distances. In the case of North America this slightly increases the distance between the US West Coast and some parts of the South Pacific, by 1 or 2 hexes. This was a compromise I was prepared to accept for having the North American continent look less "stretched" than it otherwise would have. In the case of India there is no real effect, because the affected sea distances - to bases in Africa - are abstracted, and so have been adjusted to account for the effect of the shortening. These are the only two such alterations.

Andrew

Skyland -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 6:27:13 PM)

Will New Caledonia get ressource points to simulate cobalt, chromite, iron and nickel deposits exploited at that time ?

wdolson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/1/2008 10:52:22 PM)

Joe has told me that different ideas about the map were floated.  Redoing the map in constant scale was investigated, but it would have required too big a rewrite of the core code of the game.  It was one of those things that could have affected every single display, not just the map.  So in the risk-reward evaluation, the risk was bigger than the reward.

Andrew made the map better than the original, but he was constrained by a less than ideal map engine. 

Bill

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 1:35:19 AM)

Absolultely any projection of a 3D surface onto a 2D surface will involve distortion. Regarding maps there are a few major types of projections (4 IIRC) and within those there are many variations. Andrew investigated the options and choose what he considered to be the best choice. But there is no choice that does not involve some distortion. Not until we do a real 3D map anyway! :)

JeffroK -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 2:37:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Absolultely any projection of a 3D surface onto a 2D surface will involve distortion. Regarding maps there are a few major types of projections (4 IIRC) and within those there are many variations. Andrew investigated the options and choose what he considered to be the best choice. But there is no choice that does not involve some distortion. Not until we do a real 3D map anyway! :)

At 1cm per Hex?[:'(]

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 4:01:37 AM)

At 1 nanometer per hex!
[:D]

(I'm a mathematician)
[:)]

treespider -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 4:12:05 AM)

Who needs hexes?

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 4:15:22 AM)

Well there's discrete coordinates or continuous coordinates .. but on a computer ... ultimately we are mapping to discrete coordinates ... so we're really always dealing with hexes ... only question is how many.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 1:39:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

Will New Caledonia get ressource points to simulate cobalt, chromite, iron and nickel deposits exploited at that time ?

Yes it will.

Andrew

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 1:43:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

At 1cm per Hex?[:'(]

Actually for distortion due to representing a 3D area on a 2D map, the hex scale doesn't matter - the amount of distortion is the same at the map edges regardless of the hex size. The size of the map edge distortion is a function of the area covered by the map - the bigger the area covered the larger the distortion at the map edges. The WitP AE map covers a vast area, of course, so distortion is definitely an issue.

Andrew

moose1999 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/2/2008 2:04:03 PM)

quote:

Not until we do a real 3D map anyway! :)

So, now that you've officially acknowledged that you will start working on WITP II right after AE is completed, and that it will feature a full-blown 3D map, when can we expect a release? [:)]

Around Christmas 2009 would be nice...

Flying Tiger -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/6/2008 2:06:33 AM)

quote:

So, now that you've officially acknowledged that you will start working on WITP II right after AE is completed, and that it will feature a full-blown 3D map, when can we expect a release? [:)]

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image][image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image][image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image][image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image][image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image][image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m16.gif[/image]

Who said wargamers were never optimists??

bradfordkay -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/6/2008 8:27:44 AM)

Or realists? [:'(]

kaleun -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/6/2008 8:00:13 PM)

quote:

So, now that you've officially acknowledged that you will start working on WITP II right after AE is completed, and that it will feature a full-blown 3D map, when can we expect a release?

But I won't be done with the first AE PBEM games![:(]

I won't even have finished my last WITP game (It's at August 42)[8|]

Dili -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/8/2008 5:44:41 PM)

Will it be possible to give historical or otherwise messages to players at a certain date?

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (8/13/2008 4:03:02 PM)

quote:

Not until we do a real 3D map anyway! :)

Yeah, we want AE on a 'Google Earth'-type map! [:D]

n01487477 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (9/6/2008 3:49:39 AM)

Sorry haven't read all of the last 17 pages ... but was wondering if there is a bit more room between the edge of Western Australia and the map edge. At present, this severely limits the opportunity to attack and manoeuvre in this area ...

I know I should get around to reading this whole thread ... thanks in advance.

--Damian--

Andrew Brown -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (9/6/2008 6:58:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Sorry haven't read all of the last 17 pages ... but was wondering if there is a bit more room between the edge of Western Australia and the map edge. At present, this severely limits the opportunity to attack and manoeuvre in this area ...

I know I should get around to reading this whole thread ... thanks in advance.

--Damian--

Yes, there is quite a bit of room. That was one of the main things we wanted to change for the AE map.

Andrew

VSWG -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (9/6/2008 10:32:53 AM)

A lot of room actually, considering that the map goes all the way to CENSORED.

n01487477 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (9/6/2008 10:42:47 AM)

Censored = Nowhere / the middle of the big blue sea ? [;)]

Thanks guys, I should have figured it out for myself ... if I had looked at the screen shots beforehand. I appreciate the replies and keep up the good work AB.

[image]local://upfiles/19798/B6E20BF69AD943D8A21F138435C18ADB.jpg[/image]

cantona2 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (9/6/2008 11:04:34 AM)

[&o]

rockmedic109 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/13/2008 9:06:49 AM)

In CHS, Moulmein keeps getting changed back to US control after Japanese past it on the way to Rangoon.  Has this been changed?

wdolson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/13/2008 10:14:33 AM)

In AE, if there isn't a unit in it or a friendly base, the hex ownership reverts to neutral.

Bill

rockmedic109 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/13/2008 10:23:59 AM)

Great!  Thank You.

witpqs -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/13/2008 4:50:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

In AE, if there isn't a unit in it or a friendly base, the hex ownership reverts to neutral.

Bill

There is a base in Moulmein. Does this mean it would stay in Japanese control after the last Japanese unit moves out of the hex?

Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI