RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 8:29:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

The only retort I can make to such an historical flurry of fact is to point out that your games were so exciting that when the chance came to move to a new continent and start over, the population that did so seems to have dumped them "en masse" and started over. Thus did boring Cricket become exciting Baseball, and Soccer and Rugby develope into genuine American Football.[:'(]

Rugby has always been an excuse to employ thuggery..... I avoided it when I was at 'public school' through a virulent and constant complaint of 'athlete's foot' being a founder member of the coward's union. As for cricket..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

its what happens when you have an Empire and little to do... apart from bash the fuzzy wuzzies occasionally.

Roger

I guess that will offend a few people.

BTW anyone over the rest of the world catch the story about the 3 Little Pigs being banned in case it offends a religious sensibility..... something to do with pigs being unclean?

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 8:36:06 PM)

Well he and a group called Merrill's Marauders, the rest of the allied forces having been withdrawn to Alexandria so as not to get in the way!

Even so we did manage to leave some prisoners at the bridge on the river Kwai, but I recall it was another American who managed to sort that little problem out too.....

Hollywood.... don't you just love it.

I suddenly recall 'The Battle of the Bulge' final scene with two lots of Patton tanks charging each other...... oh no, now I have really started an avalanche of memories..... is it not Cross of Iron where a whole german squad get inside a Hetzer which is, of course, an APC?

Cheers

Roger

BrucePowers -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 9:06:46 PM)

[:D][:D]

Dixie -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 9:08:21 PM)

quote:

The only retort I can make to such an historical flurry of fact is to point out that your games were so exciting that when the chance came to move to a new continent and start over, the population that did so seems to have dumped them "en masse" and started over. Thus did boring Cricket become exciting Baseball, and Soccer and Rugby develope into genuine American Football.[:'(]

Exciting baseball? I must have missed that particular game. When was it? Which teams were playing? What made it exciting, did they decide to do something unusual instead of playing the game? [&:] [:'(][;)]

Terminus -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 9:59:57 PM)

Compared to cricket, baseball actually is quite exciting. But then, so is plate tectonics...[:D]

aztez -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 10:01:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Compared to cricket, baseball actually is quite exciting. But then, so is plate tectonics...[:D]

[:D][:D][:D] ...agreed.

admgrraven -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 10:49:34 PM)

I don't know why they call true football soccer. It probably got miss spelled. It should have been spelled sucker as the sport sucks!

Andy Mac -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 10:57:32 PM)

Ummmm I hate to admit it as a Scotsman but I quite enjoy Test Match Cricket -I think its a great game watching the pressure build up over the 5 days, waiting for the England middle order collapse etc etc

One of my earliest memories is watching Jack Russell hit a century in a Test match. I remember watching Borders Aussies come to England with everyone expecting a close series for the Aussies to win 5 nil I think with Merv and Alderman tearing England apart.

Not a confession I make lightly but its the only game I will actually support England for - I used to sit up at night listening to England lose another test series in Australia on Radio 5 and was always gutted.

Or watching the Windies in their heyday come and thrash England.

No I am I guess a bit of a cricket addict (and worse an England cricket Addict) - I guess that makes me the sad git of the forum [:D][:D]

Feltan -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 11:05:58 PM)

I pretty much stopped watching sports when I got out of the military. Too much frustration watching millionaires miss an easy play or field goals; followed by a vulgar comment by me; followed by the wife unit throwing something at me for saying something naughty. Nowadays, I don't even miss it -- and I could care less who wins next Sunday.

Following the primary elections though -- much more entertaining.

Regards,
Feltan

m10bob -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 11:15:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

quote:

And your overpadded, so-called "football" doesn't use the other part. Weak argument there, Scholl...

Sure it does. That's why there is a position called "running back". It's just we favor using the feet for their designed purpose, and leaving the "ball handling" to the hands.

No.....T probably DOES handle his balls with his feet..

Sorry, haven't been that nimble for a few decades...

ROTFLMFAO,T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ny59giants -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/27/2008 11:28:44 PM)

This Super Bowl is important to me as my team is playing. It can be argued that it is the single biggest sports day in America. Even if you don't watch and/or care for the game itself, many watch it as it when new commercials come out. Its like October when all the new cars models come out. Millions are spend for 30 seconds of air time. Some are good and end up as classics for years to come. Other commercials are seen during the football game and never seen again as they flop.

Mike Scholl -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 12:39:36 AM)

quote:

GOOD ONE!!![:D]

ctangus -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 12:54:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

This Super Bowl is important to me as my team is playing.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/giants_we_almost_beat_the_patriots [:D]

Go Pats!!

Terminus -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 1:12:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bakerman

I don't know why they call true football soccer. It probably got miss spelled. It should have been spelled sucker as the sport sucks!

Nobody important calls football "soccer".

wworld7 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 1:36:42 AM)

quote:

Being a die hard American football fan does not stop me from also enjoying what across the pond they call "football". I enjoy watching it and it is not boring to me.

panda124c -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 8:19:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

I ask because the traffic seems to be very minimal at the moment on the forum and I just wondered if there was some major sporting event, festival, convention that measn everyone is out doing things?

Or are we all just hibernating until AE appears or the spring comes?

Roger

They have their "football" on Sunday... [:D] it is still beyond me that something can be called football when they predominantly play it by hand... and they call our true football "soccer"... ah well... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Come, come now what could possibly be more fun than watching 22 grown men chasing a pigskin around a grid iron? Oh yea almost forgot while the spectators drink beer. [&o]

Mynok -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/28/2008 10:41:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Being a die hard American football fan does not stop me from also enjoying what across the pond they call "football". I enjoy watching it and it is not boring to me.

Same here....I actually find cricket fascinating for a an hour or so. Baseball.....two innings and I'm looking for the beer stand.

Plate tectonics......a bazillion years of boredom followed by 60 seconds of unmitigated terror. [:D]

madgamer2 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 5:46:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Most of the people who touch the ball with their feet in American "football" are non-Americans, IIRC...[:D]

Not quite...in American football, kicking is called for in two circumstances (special-a "kick-off'-opening play, an extra point, etc). The second is a move of desperation-you can't move the ball down the field, so kick it for a lesser amount of points-a "field goal" vs. a "touch down".

As far as American football being "rugby with pads", there are actually a great many differences , and you really need to play both to get it (I have , and today couldn't careless for either). An American football is flight has more in common with an artilley shell or a rifle bullet than a ball. There is a certain technique in "spining" the ball. If you don't do it correctly , it wobbles and goes all over the place. I had great fun at KAC (the colledge I went to in Hampshire) with some of the Rugby players who scorned the game. [:D]

Back in the 70's I worked at a camp i NY state and one of the guys who worked there was from England and had a rugbry ball. One of the kids in his cabin asked about this strange looking "football" and this lead to an afternoon 2 hr. period every day where the boys learned to play Rugby and did so the whole summer and they really liked it.

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 5:49:45 AM)

Heck I can remember the first and only REAL super bowl LOL With Joe Wille and the jets. Its the only one I ever watched.

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 6:03:10 AM)

Hey Andy I find it a bit strange that the English create this place for bad people way down in Oz and the bad guys ancestors end up beating the English in there own game......A kind of historical justice ya think?
Madgamer

P.S. For every sport there is at least ONE fan who thinks its the best...so don't feel bad

madgamer2 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 6:11:57 AM)

Super Bowl? Well perhaps in America but more people in the world watch the World Cup (soccer) than ever watched or will ever watch the Super bowl. In fact more Americans watched the World Cup (woman's) when the American women became the World Champion than ever watched a Super Bowl. It strikes me that football in Feb. is to strange...Ah Well

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 6:15:19 AM)

Drink beer?....well at least our fans don't start a riot or a war if they loose a football game unlike some soccer fans have done.

Madgamer

Feinder -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 6:38:36 AM)

My best friend is French (or rather was - he's naturalized now).  Used to make me watch the World Cup with him.  But geez, 4 years in between, that's a long time in between championships.  Just wake me up when you start the play-offs.

And one very important aspect of American Football is all the Fantasy Football leagues.  How on earth do you do a Fantasy World Cup league when you "season" lasts 4 years?

-F-

hvymtl13 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 7:51:34 AM)

Mardi-Gras in Louisiana. Yeah it shuts the place down pretty much.

Koniev -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 12:19:01 PM)

quote:

Similarly, Ben Affleck didn't win the Battle of Britain...

Tell me - why was he of fighting the Battle of Britain when he had Kate Beckinsale waiting for him in Hawaii?

Kate Beckinsale is the greatest British invention since the Spitfire.

Terminus -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 12:59:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koniev

quote:

Similarly, Ben Affleck didn't win the Battle of Britain...

Tell me - why was he of fighting the Battle of Britain when he had Kate Beckinsale waiting for him in Hawaii?

Well, there's probably a reason why he spent so much time with his male "friend" in that film...

m10bob -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 2:15:59 PM)

American football has this:

[image]local://upfiles/7909/BC0C7A97126D4A7FBAA6D7D6F4F6D6FB.jpg[/image]

AW1Steve -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 2:18:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

American football has this:

[image]local://upfiles/7909/BC0C7A97126D4A7FBAA6D7D6F4F6D6FB.jpg[/image]

Probably the best argument for American football ever made. Never mind the guys in helmets and pads....bring on the girls![:D]

rtrapasso -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/29/2008 4:54:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Drink beer?....well at least our fans don't start a riot or a war if they loose a football game unlike some soccer fans have done.

Madgamer

Unless it's a championship game... then they tend to riot in some cities whether they win or lose!! [X(]

RevRick -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 3:21:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

Exciting baseball? I must have missed that particular game. When was it? Which teams were playing? What made it exciting, did they decide to do something unusual instead of playing the game? [&:] [:'(][;)]

Hey, bub. You stand up at the plate when a mad pitcher throws the ball about two eyelashes from your lips at about 90 mph. Then, it will become real exciting. Or worse, try playing catcher when that same crazy pitcher throws the ball about ten feet shy of the plate. Then it get exciting for the catcher. I'll never forget the sound of the ball hitting the cup. It hurts, it does.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI