RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

RevRick -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 3:24:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Hey Andy I find it a bit strange that the English create this place for bad people way down in Oz and the bad guys ancestors end up beating the English in there own game......A kind of historical justice ya think?
Madgamer

P.S. For every sport there is at least ONE fan who thinks its the best...so don't feel bad

you mean, like synchronized swimming, curling, or tiddley winks.

marky -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 3:41:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Possibly resting up for the "Super Bowl". Or in shock as the Holiday "Master Charge Billing" arrived.

wats the super bowl?[&:]

JK [:D] tho i hate sports

Charbroiled -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 4:53:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I'll never forget the sound of the ball hitting the cup. It hurts, it does.

It is a lot better sound then what is made if the cup wasn't there.[X(]

Mike Scholl -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 6:06:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

quote:

Possibly resting up for the "Super Bowl". Or in shock as the Holiday "Master Charge Billing" arrived.

whats the super bowl?[&:]

You must live in Wisconsin. Only someone with a big cheese covering his eyes and ears could possibly avoid the "hype" attached to the event....

HansBolter -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 6:37:53 PM)

I am a bit of an enigma as Americans go.

Long before the explosion of youth "soccer" in this country and the appearance of the ubiquitus minivan driving soccer mom, I discovered and fell in love with the game.

Back at the turn of the 1970s it was actually a "letter" sport in junior high school, but there was no program in high school. There were no organized amatuer leagues, but most moderately sized cities had a mens "club" team that ocassionally traveled to other cities to play the "club" team there.

A good friend talked me into playing on our junior high team in the 9th grade. The coach was an old Dutchman who really didn't teach us anything and simply sent us out onto teh field to chase the ball around.

One of the referrees of that league, a German immigrant, was the star player on the local men's club team who was studying to get a dgreee in physical education. The summer between 9th and 10th grade, he formed and coached a youth club team to be junior to the mens club team and took us along from town to town to play against other ccitie's youth club teams. He actually taught us the German style of play consisting of clockwork precision of support and passing. We quickly came to dominate most other youth teams around our state.

Pele had recently led the Brazil National team to it's third World Cup victory in 1970 and our coach obtained 8mm movies of some of the games for us.
We wore the Brazil National teams colors and Pele quickly became my idol. I also managed to secure the coveted number 10 for my team uniform!

A few years later, when the Tampa Bay Rowdies had become a sports marketing phenomenon and the New York Cosmos was luring retired and semi-retired international players to their ranks in an effort to popularize the sport here, I had an oppurtunity to meet my idol. I had drawn a pencil portrait of Edson Arantes do Nasimento, better known as Pele, from a photo on the cover of a soccer magazine.

I took the portrait to the Rowdies business office and asked if they would give it to him for me. Being the astute marketeers they were they quickly recognized the publicity value in having me present it to him myself. They told me to attend an upcoming press conference to make the presentation. I had no idea just how huge the press conference would be as it was heralding the arrival of Franz Beckenbauer to join the ranks of the Cosmos. So, at this international press conference, I had the oppurtunity to meet and present my protrait to the greatest football player of all time.

It was definitely one of the highlights of my life and I like to humor myself in thinking that my portrait hangs in his gallery alongside Leroy Nieman's.

VSWG -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 10:23:46 PM)

Great story! [:)] So there's a picture of you and Pele in your family's foto album?

Terminus -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 10:25:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I'll never forget the sound of the ball hitting the cup. It hurts, it does.

It is a lot better sound then what is made if the cup wasn't there.[X(]

And less loud...

marky -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/30/2008 10:38:37 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

whats the super bowl?[&:]

You must live in Wisconsin. Only someone with a big cheese covering his eyes and ears could possibly avoid the "hype" attached to the event....

i do [:D]

super bowl and sports are stupid, waste of money that this country needs

wat is it now 50 million without insurance? people burning down their own houses cuz they cant pay for them? people robbing banks and stealing to have a better life?

like homer simpson once said, DID WE LOSE A WAR?!?!?!

Charbroiled -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/31/2008 1:37:31 AM)

quote:

i do [:D]

super bowl and sports are stupid, waste of money that this country needs

wat is it now 50 million without insurance? people burning down their own houses cuz they cant pay for them? people robbing banks and stealing to have a better life?

like homer simpson once said, DID WE LOSE A WAR?!?!?!

Marky,

People will rob banks and steal no matter what. It is because it is easier then actually working. As far as insurance goes (I assume you mean Health insurance), I don't think my parent or their parents before them every had health insurance.

Sporting events are no different then movie theaters, computer games, or dancing girls in Vegas....they are all entertainment. Plus, major sporting events (or any entertainment venue) creates jobs. You may not like seeing someone make millions of dollars playing a sport, but the wages are being paid be the ticket revenues, which based on the fact that most professional sporting events are usually sold out, people are willing to play. People in the lower income bracket don't usually go to professional sporting events, so it doesn't really effect them. Also, when communities "help" pay for construction of a sporting facility, in a short time, that community will generate more money they they have put in (usually).

HansBolter -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/31/2008 3:51:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Great story! [:)] So there's a picture of you and Pele in your family's foto album?

Sadly enough no. I later contacted my local newspaper and discovered their photograhper only had a photo of Pele hoilding the portrait and not one of the two of us together. I obtained that photo, but never contacted any other publications in an effort to find other photos.

For pencil portraits I used a technique of creating a rough sketch on newprint and then transferring the outline of the sketch to a heavy rag stock paper by coating the back of the newprint with graphite and using a pressure trace technique for the transfer. After experimenting with a few different, hatch, crosshatch, rub/blend techniques for shade and shadow on the newsprint I would be ready to render the portrait in detail on the rag stock. So I had the original newsprint sketch to be able to prove to people that the portrait he was holding in the photo was drawn by me.

Unfortunately, I had taken the photo and sletch to work to share and forgot I still had them stashed under the desk when I left that firm and changed jobs. My former employer cleaned up and threw out everything at the desk wihout realizing they were throwing away some of my most cherished momentos.

What is that French saying about life..........

Micah Goodman -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (1/31/2008 4:10:51 PM)

The reason American Football is called Football is simple, when it first started it was more like rugby.  You couldn't pass down the field, you could toss it sideways in relation to where the ball started.  Basically, it was a running game.  A very violent running game.  After numerous deaths and maiming injuries passing became more common.  The biggest reason I believe, that Soccer (European Football) is more popular world wide is one simple reason.  It's cheaper to play.  All you need is a relativly flat surfice and a ball, shoes are optional.  American Football requires pads.  Theses pads are expensive.  Most of the countries where Soccer is so popular are poor.  The biggest reason why Soccer will never reach the popularity in the US that it has outside the states is simple.  TV commercials.  Football starts and stops at regular intervals.  Soccer goes on and on and on and on and on and on and... well you get the point.  Soccer fans have been predicting an explosion of Soccer popularity in the US sense the mid 70's when Pale' came here and prompted the sport.  Major American television networks are never going to have an event that runs for two hours or more with no commercial interruptions.  Can you imagine the out cry of Soccer fans if the one score in a championship game was scored when there was a commercial on for Maxipads?

Here is a further illustration of how Soccer struggles in the US.  Houston recently had a major league Soccer team move here.  They have won the Championship for the last two years in a row.  To raise money for charity and to raise publicity for the team they allowed on lucky fan to bid on the trophy.  The winner would then get to take the trophy home for roughly a 24 hour period.  Can you imagine the Lombardi trophy going home with Bubba after the game?  I doubt it.  The other reason I WILL NEVER watch a soccer game is political correctness.  When the team moved here from where ever, they named the team 1836, in honor of the year that the city was founded.  I know, perhaps the lamest name for a sports team ever, other than the Houston Texans, (Houston's Professional American Football Team).  That's like naming a team the London England’s.  Blach... anyhoo back to my point.  Apparently, 1836 remained Houston's large illegal Mexican population of the year that Texas won it's independence from Mexico.  So, the name was changed.  I just feel sorry for the poor players.  American Football players are pulling down huge contracts and endorsements and these poor guys get stuck with a pair of scissors cutting a ribbon and saying things like, "Shop smart... shop S-Mart."

Sabre21 -> RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? (2/1/2008 4:16:12 AM)

Well I don't even have a TV so I don't watch sports at all..period. If it wasn't for a few who mentioned the teams..I wouldn't have a clue on who was playing..not that I care. Living up here in the mountains..all I've been doing it seems over the last couple months is shovel snow and more snow..lol. Looks like we are going to beat the 1915 record snowfall here in northern idaho this season.

But as for what is the most watched sporting event..I guess it depends what year. It seems the Super Bowl beat all others in 2007 according to the data below. I got this off of televisionpoint.com .

"Initiative's global sports consultancy division, Initiative Sports Futures, has published its 2007 ViewerTrack global trends report, ranking the world's most watched live TV sports events. The top 10 events, drawn from a pre-selected list of 15 events viewed worldwide, are chosen for both their sporting importance and commercial value.

Leading the field as the most watched sports event of 2007 is the NFL Super Bowl with a total live viewership of 142 million people. Even though more than 90 per cent of its global TV audience comes from one single country – the US – it is consistently the world's most watched TV sporting event in odd-numbered years.

In even-numbered years, it gets beaten in terms of TV audience by at least one event from among the FIFA World Cup Final, UEFA European Championships Final and the IOC Summer and Winter Olympics opening ceremonies; none of the other quadrennial or annual events can compete with the unique appeal of the NFL Super Bowl. An average live global audience of 97 million people watched the Indianapolis Colts defeat the Chicago Bears in 2007.

Last year's Brazilian Grand Prix managed a podium finish along with the UEFA European Champions League Final (AC Milan vs Liverpool). The two events managed an average global live viewership of 78 and 72 million, respectively. Rugby (the IRB World Cup final), athletics (the IAAF World Athletics Championships – men's 100 metres final), baseball (the MLB World Series game 4), handball (the IIHF World Men's Handball Championship final), golf (US Masters) and tennis (Wimbledon: men's singles final, Roger Federer vs Rafael Nadal) take the next six places, followed by cricket.

The ICC World Twenty20 Championship match between India and Pakistan features, has emerged in the 10th place with an average live global audience of 20 million people."

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI