RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Extraneous -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/10/2013 7:59:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

yes Extraneous Hartman flu 6 missions against the US airforce and shot down 6 P51 mustangs confirmed...in 4 of those missions he did not see the Enemy!
The other mission he and his wingman attacked a squadron of mustangs getting 2 but more mustangs come into the battle very keen to get the guys who just shot down there mates hartman sent his wingman home and kept the attention of his attackers..after 20mins of weaving and running his ME109 ran out of fuel and he bailed out!
his second kill of the war in 1942 was the second top ace of the USSR. he also was shotdown 14 times and not a mark on him....all in the ME109...if you want a good read the blond knight of germany.

Tigercub

Yes it was an excelent read [;)]

Hartman was the top scoring ace of any war.

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/10/2013 10:19:24 PM)

1.I delivered battalions to some of the most famous divisions

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/10/2013 11:55:21 PM)

These?

[image]local://upfiles/24497/D1BE7BF928CF4646A5309BF1A6C8EA78.jpg[/image]

ezzler -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/11/2013 12:51:01 AM)

Parachuting airman - yep, it was Udet.

May, 1918, Udet was back at the front, in command of Jagdstaffel 4. One day he got a little careless and was shot down by the gunner in a two-seater. He took to his parachute, which briefly tangled in his Fokker's tail. It shook loose; Udet dropped uninjured into no-man's-land and made his way back to his staffel that same day.

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/11/2013 1:50:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

Nepal.

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/11/2013 11:54:52 AM)

quote:

2. i am a regiment
3. my battalions fought mostly in France and north Africa
4. the regiment was nearly totally annihilated after the defeats in Singapore, Crete and France
5. one of the battalions was train as air land troops. and was part of a para drop

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/12/2013 11:28:50 PM)

The Royal Leicestershire Regiment?
4. Fought in Burma, Greece, Italy, North Africa, North West Europe and Norway
5. Exaggerated a bit, 2Bn on Crete, 1Bn Malaya/Singapore, 2/5Bn France 40 Far from nearly annihilated.
6. 7Bn was trained as Airlanding troops as part 1f 14th Brigade/Chindits but wasnt part of 14th Air Landing Bde

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/12/2013 11:39:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

The Royal Leicestershire Regiment?
4. Fought in Burma, Greece, Italy, North Africa, North West Europe and Norway
5. Exaggerated a bit, 2Bn on Crete, 1Bn Malaya/Singapore, 2/5Bn France 40 Far from nearly annihilated.
6. 7Bn was trained as Airlanding troops as part 1f 14th Brigade/Chindits but wasnt part of 14th Air Landing Bde

you are in the right country.

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/12/2013 11:40:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

2. i am a regiment
4. the regiment was nearly totally annihilated after the defeats in Singapore, Crete and France
5. one of the battalions was train as air land troops. and was part of a para drop

6. my battalions in France was not part of the Dunkirk evacuation

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/13/2013 12:31:08 AM)

Is saying the same country pushing it[:D]

As no one else is interested, is 6 clues enough?

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/13/2013 2:35:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

2. i am a regiment

6. my battalions in France was not part of the Dunkirk evacuation

7. only small parts of the division escaped France. and had to be reformed in UK

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/13/2013 4:48:33 AM)

I give up.

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/13/2013 5:11:27 AM)

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

the 7. and 8 battalion was part of the original 51 highlander division in France

the 1. battalion was part of 14th Brigade on Crete

the 2. battalion was part of 12th Indian brigade at Singapore

all 4 of them were almost completely destroyed

they started the war with only does infantry battalion. the rest of the battalions were reserve or had been converted

the 5. and 6. had been converted to anti tank and the 9. became anti air.

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (1/13/2013 6:55:35 AM)

3. Fought mostly in France & North Africa Also in Italy, Burma, Malaya, Belgium, Holland & Germany.
4. Regiment was almost totally annihilated -- The loss of a Bn or 2 at seperate times does not mean annihilation, the following list of battle honours shows it was very much alive and kicking
The Second World War– Somme 1940, Odon, Tourmauville Bridge, Caen, Esquay, Mont Pincon, Quarry Hill, Estry, Falaise, Dives Crossing, Aart, Lower Maas, Meijel, Venlo Pocket, Ourthe, Rhineland, Reichswald, Rhine, Uelzen, Artlenburg, North-West Europe 1940, 44–45, Abyssinia 1941, Sidi Barrani, El Alamein, Medenine, Akarit, Diebel Azzag 1942, Kef Ouiba Pass, Mine de Sedjenane, Medjez Plain, Longstop Hill 1943, North Africa 1940–43, Landing in Sicily, Gerbini, Adrano, Centuripe, Sicily 1943, Termoli, Sangro, Cassino II, Liri Valley, Aquino, Monte Casalino, Monte Spaduro, Monte Grande, Senio, Santerno Crossing, Argenta Gap, Italy 1943–45, Crete, Heraklion, Middle East 1941, North Malaya, Grik Road, Central Malaya, Ipoh, Slim River, Singapore Island, Malaya 1941–42

5Bn & 6Bn converted to Anti Tank Artillery (91 & 93 AT Rgt) in Nov 41 & 6Bn to 54 & 58 LAA Rgts.

5. one of the battalions was train as air land troops. and was part of a para drop ??

Some of these questions are similar to How long is a piece of string?? and are authors interpretations instead of factual.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (7/19/2014 2:33:55 AM)

found a new one the other day

Name three ways Robert E Lee's name was used in WWII

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (7/19/2014 3:09:16 AM)

The M3 Lee would be one (the easy one [:D])

David Clark -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (7/19/2014 4:51:19 AM)

1. As a proper noun.

2. Allegorically.

3. As part of an inferential argument.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (7/19/2014 1:43:43 PM)

ha, very good. I'm sure the US Army used #2 and #3 quite often.

But of course I was looking for 3 proper nouns. The tank is the easy one. I'll give you a second - The US Army Quartermaster school in WWII was at Camp Lee, now Fort Lee, Virginia (where else?)

edit: the where else was rhetorical…not a second location named after Lee.

I was also hoping some of the many new members might enjoy this older thread.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (7/19/2014 9:02:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: csiemers

Wasn't there a Robert E. Lee transport vessel?

there you go. A Type IXC U-Boat sank the Robert E. Lee (I don't think it was a USN ship, civilian), a 'passenger steamer', about 45 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi River in the Gulf of Mexico. About 45 passengers of 400-some drowned. A few minutes later the U-Boat was sunk in turn by a USN P-3 aircraft with a loss of all hands. The U-Boat wreck was recently discovered and there is an interesting set of new underwater photos circulating on the web right now.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 4:43:43 PM)

here is a sad one - what city suffered the most civilian casualties in WWII?

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 5:22:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

warspite1

I'd be staggered if its not Tokyo.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:01:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

A good guess, but no.

Centuur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:03:53 PM)

Leningrad. That's to say: if you also include casualties due to hunger.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:04:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

A good guess, but no.
warspite1

Well I'm staggered then [;)] I am assuming you are talking 1939-45.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:13:41 PM)

I would have guessed Tokyo as well, until recently.

Centuur has it correct however - a Wikipedia footnote explains it:

Walzer, Michael (1977). Just and Unjust Wars. p. 160. ISBN 978-0465037070. More civilians died in the siege of Leningrad than in the modernist infernos of Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki, taken together.

Note the "taken together" there - Leningrad civilians suffered between one million and 1.5 million fatalities, largely from starvation though with plenty of aerial bombing and artillery shelling thrown in as well. Hitler planned to raze the city to the ground, after killing ALL of the inhabitants.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:18:10 PM)

Well that was dumb [8|]. As soon as I read that question I immediately thought bombing. Didn't give any other factor a thought. When you see it the answer is so obvious its ridiculous - what a klutz [sm=nono.gif]....

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 6:32:56 PM)

Well, that is what makes it an interesting trivia question, thought the topic is decidedly non-trivial. And relatively unknown.

Centuur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 8:50:22 PM)

Tokyo doesn't even come in second. Warsaw comes in second place, with almost 400.000 casualties, mostly Jews, if one looks at confirmed figures. However, it may be that some Chinese cities even had higher casualty rates during the war, but there are no reliable figures from that country, only estimated ones.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (6/3/2016 9:04:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Tokyo doesn't even come in second. Warsaw comes in second place, with almost 400.000 casualties, mostly Jews, if one looks at confirmed figures. However, it may be that some Chinese cities even had higher casualty rates during the war, but there are no reliable figures from that country, only estimated ones.
warspite1

No, it comes in first..... if you are stupid enough to only think in terms of strategic bombing, which is what I did.

Page: <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI