RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

cockney -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/3/2008 6:51:45 PM)

Q3 a Goliath was a German romote controled mini tank filled with expolosives

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/3/2008 8:22:15 PM)

correct

panzers -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 8:07:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Q1: What famous American writer formed a partisan group in France after D-Day?

Q2: Why was the person in Q1 upset with his wife during operation Overlord?

Wiliam Shirer?

Q3: When talking WW2, what was a Goliath?

jesperpehrson -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 9:58:32 AM)

quote:

Q1: What famous American writer formed a partisan group in France after D-Day?

Ernst Hemmingway?

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 10:10:16 AM)

Sorry Panzers, and correct Capitan. It was Ernest Hemmingway.

jesperpehrson -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 11:05:20 AM)

hehe that was a lucky guess! :-) I remember him fighting in Spain during the civil war so why not in France?

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 2:56:45 PM)

Someone has hearded about a canadian ace pilot of WWI who did fly his airplane below the Arc of Triumph in Paris when the allies were doing the parade to celebrate the victory and the end of WWI? without permission.

Ohio Jones -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/4/2008 9:19:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Someone has hearded about a canadian ace pilot of WWI who did fly his airplane below the Arc of Triumph in Paris when the allies were doing the parade to celebrate the victory and the end of WWI? without permission.

Was it Billy Bishop? And is it apocryphal, or can it be attributed to a reliable source?

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:36:15 AM)

I will answer my remaining question as noone has even guessed.

During Operation Overlord both Ernest Hemingway and his wife both worked as a corrospondent for different newspapers. During D-Day Ernest was not allowed ashore, but his wife dressed up as a Red Cross nurse and was thus allowed ashore, where she would start writing and taking pictures. This was something her husband did not forgive her that easily.

Q1: What tank is this?

[image]local://upfiles/11504/B8B744AD645C465788193F6B5363577F.jpg[/image]

Q2: What new assignment did Himmler recieve at November 26th 1944?

Q3: The British tank A22 or Infantry Tank MArk IV was also known under what name?

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:39:22 AM)

quote:

I will answer my remaining question as noone has even guessed.

During Operation Overlord both Ernest Hemingway and his wife both worked as a corrospondent for different newspapers. During D-Day Ernest was not allowed ashore, but his wife dressed up as a Red Cross nurse and was thus allowed ashore, where she would start writing and taking pictures. This was something her husband did not forgive her that easily.

Q1: What tank is this?

[image]local://upfiles/11504/B8B744AD645C465788193F6B5363577F.jpg[/image]
Warspite1

Panther - Panzer MkV

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:42:35 AM)

aye that it is

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:44:24 AM)

Which Royal Navy ship torpedoed herself? 

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:49:07 AM)

HMS Trinidad during PQ-13(?). Gyro torps were still not top notch at the time I guess [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:52:22 AM)

quote:

HMS Trinidad during PQ-13(?). Gyro torps were still not top notch at the time I guess [:D]
Warspite1

I hope we`re not googling mr Terje[;)]

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:53:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Nope, but you are asking a NORWEGIAN about convoys... And one that comes from a long line of sailors to top it off [;)]

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 6:58:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Nope, but you are asking a NORWEGIAN about convoys... And one that comes from a long line of sailors to top it off [;)]

Warspite1

Okay - in which case I shall re-ask a question from a while back that was not answered. Who were the two Toothless Terrors - and a supplementary, which song by the Police featured these two (although they weren`t singing about the WWII versions?

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 7:04:04 AM)

ARGH! I know this...Was it not two cruisers? Think the name came from the size of the guns they carried? (so much for the "size does not matter" thingy [:D]). But the names? And not sure about the nationality. And POLICE song?? Nah THAT one I will not be able to solve for sure..

These two still stand btw:

Q3: The British tank A22 or Infantry Tank Mark IV was also known under what name?

Side note: OOO wicked post count!!!
Up the Irons!!

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 7:12:26 AM)

quote:

ARGH! I know this...Was it not two cruisers? Think the name came from the size of the guns they carried? (so much for the "size does not matter" thingy [:D]). But the names? And not sure about the nationality. And POLICE song?? Nah THAT one I will not be able to solve for sure..

These two still stand btw:

Q3: The British tank A22 or Infantry Tank Mark IV was also known under what name?

Side note: OOO wicked post count!!!
Up the Irons!!

Warspite1

Yes it was two cruisers - yes the nicknames were to do with the weaponry. I`ll leave the question open a bit longer.

Devilishly good post count! Re your last comment - does that mean you are a West Ham fan?

I don`t know much about tanks but I`ll guess Crusader

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 7:24:33 AM)

quote:

Devilishly good post count! Re your last comment - does that mean you are a West Ham fan?

No @ Crusader

Up the Irons is not for West Ham (I'm L'pool all the way), but for Iron Maiden when it is stated by yours truely [8D]

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 7:39:49 AM)

quote:

quote:

No @ Crusader

Up the Irons is not for West Ham (I'm L'pool all the way), but for Iron Maiden when it is stated by yours truely [8D]
Warspite1

V POOOOOOOR Footie club choice [:-] Especially as you`ve just nicked one of our best players.

Okay one more guess - Cromwell

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 9:28:50 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

No @ Crusader

Warspite1

V POOOOOOOR Footie club choice [:-] Especially as you`ve just nicked one of our best players.

Okay one more guess - Cromwell

Hehe been a fan of LFC since I was 5 [:)]

Nope not the Cromwell

Still unanswered:

Q3: The British tank A22 or Infantry Tank MArk IV was also known under what name?

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 11:43:14 AM)

quote:

quote:

No @ Crusader

But Iron Maiden have a West Ham connection. Bassist Steve Harris played for their youth team I think.

I'll take a guess on the tank. Valentine?

Cheers, Neilster.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 1:33:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

No @ Crusader

But Iron Maiden have a West Ham connection. Bassist Steve Harris played for their youth team I think.

I'll take a guess on the tank. Valentine?

Cheers, Neilster.

Yea "Up the Irons" can be both Iron Maiden and West Ham, but when it comes from me it will always be in reference to Iron Maiden [8D]
I'll give you correct on Steve Harris [;)] He did indeed play for the West Ham youth team (and they still try to play a football game whenever they stay long enough on one spot), and I believe his son is now playing for a PL youth team atm.

The tank is not the Valentine either. Not too many more to guess on now [:D]

Orm -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 2:56:26 PM)

quote:

Still unanswered:

Q2: Himmler was made Commander of an Army Group sometime in the Autumn 1944. Maybe that was on the 26th of November 1944?

-Orm

cockney -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 3:17:24 PM)

just seen the question, and its the Matilda, named after the duck and not the Aussie waltz.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 3:23:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Still unanswered:

Q2: Himmler was made Commander of an Army Group sometime in the Autumn 1944. Maybe that was on the 26th of November 1944?

-Orm

Correct.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 3:24:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

just seen the question, and its the Matilda, named after the duck and not the Aussie waltz.

Nope, the Matilda II was the A12, so a later tank.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 3:36:25 PM)

Q1: Roughly how many allied merchant ships were sunk in the Atlantic during the war?

Q2: What did F.D.R achieve that would later lead to an amendment to the constitution of the USA?

Orm -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 4:21:43 PM)

quote:

Q1: Roughly how many allied merchant ships were sunk in the Atlantic during the war?

Q2: What did F.D.R achieve that would later lead to an amendment to the constitution of the USA?

Q2: He was made President 4 times in an election. No other President served more than 2 terms and I belive it was traditional for the president to step down after the second term. I am sure that the change in the constitution was to put a limit on the terms a President may serve.

-Orm

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/9/2008 4:22:58 PM)

quote:

Warspite1

1. I should know this as I read it when researching my write-ups but have forgotten [&:]

2. FDR was made president for a third time in 1944? after which a limit of 2 was put in place.

3. I`m running out of C`s - Comet?

Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI