RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Morval_slith -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/20/2008 7:53:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Q3: Just before Operation Overlord, what unit did the Germans think Patton commanded, and why did this have am impact of the German plans during Overlord?

An US Armoured Corps. It was a decoy of wooden and inflated ballon tanks in fact.
Defend the Pas de Calais.

Not correct.

Patton had command of the "fake" 1st US Army Group, whose goal was making the Germans believe the landing was coming at the shortest point across the channel at Calais.

This plan had a name but I don't remember it.

It was part of a larger plan called Fortitude North I think. It also involved deception plans for landings in Norway and Denmark (and probably somewhere else).

Cheers, Neilster

Operation Fortitude (only part of the huge deception plan to mask the Normandy invasion) had two components. Fortitude North, directed at Norway, was built around a fictitious British Fourth Army based in Scotland. Patton's "First US Army Group" was part of Fortitude South which was the feint against the Pas de Calais.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/20/2008 9:43:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Q1: What name is the Dornier Do 200 more known under?

Q2: What was the primary function of a Sherman Crab?

Q3: Krupp made two 800mm railroad gun that were named what?

Q4: What name was the Me 163 known under?

Q5: What part of the British armed forces was refered to as the Senior Service?

Q5: The Royal Navy

Cheers, Neilster

aye

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 12:27:57 AM)

Q1 - What was the fate of the HMS Campbeltown?

Q2 - What was known as the "Flying Porcupine"?

Q3 - What were the names of the last 3 factories that the Soviets held in Stalingrad against the Germans in Oct 1942?

christo -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 1:02:02 AM)

1) fitted with a delayed action time fuse and used to blow up the largest dry dock for repair of the ? Bismark. Think it was St Nazaire (apologies for the spelling)

2) Short Sunderland flying boat

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 4:48:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christo

1) fitted with a delayed action time fuse and used to blow up the largest dry dock for repair of the ? Bismark. Think it was St Nazaire (apologies for the spelling)

2) Short Sunderland flying boat

1) Correct (it was the potential drydock for the Tirpitz that the commando raid on St. Nazaire was targetting).

2) Correct

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:07:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Q3 - What were the names of the last 3 factories that the Soviets held in Stalingrad against the Germans in Oct 1942?

Warspite1

Q3 There was a tractor factory, Barrikady? amd something else...

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:08:51 PM)

quote:

Warspite1

Re Q1: What was the code name for the raid on St Nazaire?

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:14:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Red October? It's something typically revolutionary like that I think.

Cheers, Neilster

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:20:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Operation Chariot. I always remember that one because I think the St Nazaire raid was a real classic. It would make a brilliant subject for a new movie with killer CGI etc but it'll never get made due to the lack of Americans involved. Hrrumph!

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:23:02 PM)

1. What was the ultimate fate of the light cruiser USS Phoenix?

2. Which much maligned aircraft was responsible for the sinking of the German cruiser Konigsberg in April 1940?

3. How many of the battleships sunk or damaged at Pearl Harbor never re-entered service with the USN?

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:25:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Damn - I think you`re right - should always go for something revolutionary sounding!! Oktober is always a favourite....

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 9:29:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Operation Chariot. I always remember that one because I think the St Nazaire raid was a real classic. It would make a brilliant subject for a new movie with killer CGI etc but it'll never get made due to the lack of Americans involved. Hrrumph!

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Correct - and I echo the sentiment. Nothing against the US who at least honour their heroes, but the UK film industry that is too full of right-on left wing intellectuals for whom such deeds of self sacrifice and heroism is sooooooo passee darling. [:@]

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/21/2008 11:20:10 PM)

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

It was made into a movie: "Attack on the Iron Coast" released in 1968, starring Lloyd Bridges. It was a bit of a turkey.

quote:

Correct - and I echo the sentiment. Nothing against the US who at least honour their heroes, but the UK film industry that is too full of right-on left wing intellectuals for whom such deeds of self sacrifice and heroism is sooooooo passee darling.

...and it was made in the UK.

Orm -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 12:31:09 AM)

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Oh, Neilster. Have faith in Hollywod and American movies. I am sure they can come up with a movie that portraits an epic assault on St. Nazaire. And in the end scene the 2 captured American officers standing ing on HMS Campeldown slay the evil nazists and escape just before the ship blows up.

-Orm

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 2:53:54 AM)

Here is great WiF applicable quote - "There are only two rules in war. Don't invade Russia. Don't invade China." Who said it?

Didn't Avalon Hill make a game out of the St. Nazaire operation? Or maybe just a scenario of ASL with it's own special board? Somehow I seem to remember this making the cover of the General? Or maybe my memory of 20 year old issues of game magazines is getting fuzzy.

Espen -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 7:10:39 AM)

quote:

Wasn't that Red Barricades? That's the name of an ASL-campaign...

composer99 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 2:08:04 PM)

quote:

Here is great WiF applicable quote - "There are only two rules in war. Don't invade Russia. Don't invade China." Who said it?

Stillwell, I believe.

csharpmao -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 3:37:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

Stillwell, I believe.

I think it was Montgomery.

monkla -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 5:43:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Didn't Avalon Hill make a game out of the St. Nazaire operation? Or maybe just a scenario of ASL with it's own special board? Somehow I seem to remember this making the cover of the General? Or maybe my memory of 20 year old issues of game magazines is getting fuzzy.

Definitely was a game in its own right. I don't own a copy but I have played it. I seem to recall it was even a solitaire game.

Sewerlobster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/22/2008 9:21:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Espen
quote:

Wasn't that Red Barricades? That's the name of an ASL-campaign...

That would have been my guess.

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 12:25:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Correct 2 out of 3. Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory, and Barrakady Arms Plant.

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 12:27:48 AM)

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

And correct for the 3rd one. Red October Steel Mill. (Kraznyy Oktbreskiy)

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 12:35:34 AM)

quote:

Didn't Avalon Hill make a game out of the St. Nazaire operation?

Yes, Raid on St. Nazaire was the title. I own it and it is one of my all time favorite bookcase games. Its a solo game where you play against the ever growing German patrols and searchlights, and it is quite a nail biter when the full alert happens, your last commandos heroically die and you tally up your score to see if you matched the historic action.

The game ends with a final dice roll(modified by how long your comandos held out) to see if the HMS Campbeltown explosives destroys the sea locks or not, tipping you over the win tally.

Great, great game.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 4:50:10 AM)

hmmm sounds like a good candidate for computerization

it was Montgomery who said the quote about two rules in war.

Here is a question ... what model aircraft was produced in the greatest numbers in WWII? We'll go with model # and letter variant, with further subvariants all counted together. So if it was a Acme PQ-17, the PQ-17a and PQ-17b would all count the same.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 6:15:53 AM)

quote:

2. Which much maligned aircraft was responsible for the sinking of the German cruiser Konigsberg in April 1940?

3. How many of the battleships sunk or damaged at Pearl Harbor never re-entered service with the USN?

Warspite1

No takers for these?

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 9:32:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

No takers for these?

Q3 - 1 (Arizona)

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 9:51:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

No takers for these?

Q3 - 1 (Arizona)

Warspite1

Arizona is of course correct - but the number you quote is wrong

michaelbaldur -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 10:18:25 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

3. How many of the battleships sunk or damaged at Pearl Harbor never re-entered service with the USN?

Warspite1

No takers for these?

Q3 - 1 (Arizona)

Warspite1

Arizona is of course correct - but the number you quote is wrong

2 the other was the Oklahoma ...it was raised and scrapped

Norman42 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 3:46:46 PM)

quote:

Royal Navy Sea Skuas operating from shore if I'm not mistaken.

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (8/23/2008 3:57:04 PM)

quote:

Here is a question ... what model aircraft was produced in the greatest numbers in WWII? We'll go with model # and letter variant, with further subvariants all counted together. So if it was a Acme PQ-17, the PQ-17a and PQ-17b would all count the same.

109s ?

Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI