RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/7/2009 11:57:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

quote:

I assume Cromwell is a trick question - and you have to give a clue on "municipality" surely??

Sure, old comrade.
For Cromwell think of First Lord Churchill. For the municipality, think of the Battle of the River Plate.

Warspite 1

Okay you got me on Cromwell - never heard of her. The municipality is a one in three chance so I`ll go for Exeter as she took mopst of the pain that day.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning...[:)] ...it smells like, victory.

Churchill had a HUGE (well, considering the disputants) arguement with King George V over Churchill's repeated insistance on naming one of the Queen Elizabeths, HMS Oliver Cromwell. Churchill wanted to name the ships King Richard I, King Henry V, Queen Elizabeth and Oliver Cromwell. (The fifth ship in the class had been paid for by the Federation of Malay States and recieved the name Malaya.) The arguement got so bitter that the King is reported to have said, "...absolutely not,... not while I am King of England." This was remarkeable considering that Churchill was a Royalist of almost medieval loyalty. Churchill was eventually persuaded to drop his insistance, and the Cromwell was christened the Valiant. Also of interest is the fact that a late war C Class destroyer was eventually named Oliver Cromwell. I wonder why King George VI let it through? Warspite, any ideas?

Warspite1

I`d be interested to know the source of that - What did he want to call the sixth ship then?

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/14/2009 1:43:47 PM)

Warspite1

During which which naval engagement was an army sergeant awarded a Victoria Cross at the suggestion of a German naval officer? The naval battle is small scale and has no name, but came about at the end of a larger British operation. I will take the larger operation name as the answer.

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/16/2009 4:09:06 PM)

quote:

Warspite1

During which which naval engagement was an army sergeant awarded a Victoria Cross at the suggestion of a German naval officer? The naval battle is small scale and has no name, but came about at the end of a larger British operation. I will take the larger operation name as the answer.

Huhhh how can a german naval officer suggest that a sergeant be awarded a british medal? very strange indeed.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/16/2009 5:24:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Warspite1

Huhhh how can a german naval officer suggest that a sergeant be awarded a british medal? very strange indeed.

Maybe it had to do with the gun the sergeant was holding to the German's head?[;)]

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/16/2009 10:12:02 PM)

Warspite1

Very strange indeed; but true nonetheless. This is an extract from my write-up of HMS Campbeltown - star of Operation Chariot - the Commando raid on St Nazaire;

...........One other motor launch had made it out of the Loire, but ML306 ran into five German torpedo boats. Lt Henderson, commanding ML306, refused to surrender to the enemy and the crew of the British vessel opened up against the Germans with everything they had. Henderson was killed and most of the crew wounded, after the arrival of the German destroyer Jaguar, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Paul. Again the British were requested to surrender. This request was met with fire from the motor launch`s twin Lewis guns, manned by Army Sergeant Thomas Durrant. Despite being mortally wounded, Durrant refused to give up and continued firing against impossible odds until he died at his post. The remaining British left alive on ML306 then surrendered. It was Paul that mentioned this episode to Lt-Colonel Newman when they met at a prison camp in France a few weeks later. Sergeant Durrant was given a posthumous Victoria Cross for his actions that day.

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/18/2009 8:10:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Maybe it had to do with the gun the sergeant was holding to the German's head?[;)]

I think happened in the Far East as well, after enemy reports were read and the full extent of the actio became known.

Walloc -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/21/2009 1:10:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

I am not trying be clever here, but wasn't the Pz III produced in greater numbers than the Pz IV? My assumption is based on the fact that germans used the Pz III chassis for their StuG IIIs, which essentially means that they equipped their tanks with a different gun and renamed them. The StuG III was by far the most common german assault gun during WW2. If I remember correctly however, the Pz IV was the most common panzer during WW2.

But assault guns weren't tanks. The question was about tanks. No turrent...no tank. Them's the rules [:-] [;)] Not that I care really.

Cheers, Neilster

Correct, or almost correct. To get a 100% it should have been revolving turret [:)]

Ehh, i wouldnt say this out loud in Sweden. They consider(ed) the S tank(Strv 103) very much a tank. It is classified as such back then by NATO, the Russian and for example Janes too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103

Kind regards,

Rasmus

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (2/22/2009 4:52:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

I am not trying be clever here, but wasn't the Pz III produced in greater numbers than the Pz IV? My assumption is based on the fact that germans used the Pz III chassis for their StuG IIIs, which essentially means that they equipped their tanks with a different gun and renamed them. The StuG III was by far the most common german assault gun during WW2. If I remember correctly however, the Pz IV was the most common panzer during WW2.

But assault guns weren't tanks. The question was about tanks. No turrent...no tank. Them's the rules [:-] [;)] Not that I care really.

Cheers, Neilster

Correct, or almost correct. To get a 100% it should have been revolving turret [:)]

Ehh, i wouldnt say this out loud in Sweden. They consider(ed) the S tank(Strv 103) very much a tank. It is classified as such back then by NATO, the Russian and for example Janes too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103

Kind regards,

Rasmus

From JGN
What defines a Tank or Assault Gun is the mission of vehicle not whether it has a turret or not.

Remember the first tanks in WWI used by the British did not have a turret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank

A tank is a tracked, armored fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat which combines operational mobility and tactical offensive and defensive capabilities. Firepower is normally provided by a large-caliber main gun in a rotating turret and secondary machine guns, while heavy Armour and all-terrain mobility provide protection for the tank and its crew, allowing it to perform all primary tasks of the armored troops on the battlefield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_gun

An assault gun is a gun or howitzer mounted on a motor vehicle or armored chassis, designed for use in the direct fire role in support of infantry when attacking other infantry or fortified positions.

Please note the KV-2 was the assault gun version of the KV-1 tank and had a turret.

Yes I looked this up but only to clarify the differences.

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/2/2009 7:55:23 AM)

A new question. Which British Army Commander in WWII supplemented his income between the wars by writing magazine articles using the pseudonym Andrew Mills?

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/3/2009 7:36:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

A new question. Which British Army Commander in WWII supplemented his income between the wars by writing magazine articles using the pseudonym Andrew Mills?

Bill Slim?

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/3/2009 9:17:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Bill Slim?

100% Keee-rect. Awesome! [&o]

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/14/2009 7:15:23 PM)

So ? No more quiz ?

composer99 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/15/2009 12:13:28 AM)

I certainly can't imagine we've exhausted the scope of Second World War trivia with a mere 34 pages of forum text.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/15/2009 3:35:02 PM)

Ok, so I will give you guys some Qs then (I'll allow googling on the first one!!)

Q1: What cargo did the ship D/S Skjerstad carry from Trondheim to Kirkenes in the period April 9th - April 26th 1942? (It is a very strange cargo [;)])

Q2: Who did the actual planning of "Weserübung"?

Q3: In accordance with the "Treaty of Versailles" how many soldiers were Germany allowed to have in her armed forces?

Q4: What was the nickname of the aircraft Fi 156?

Q5: Were helicopters in use during WWII?

Grymme -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/15/2009 6:27:40 PM)

Terje439.

Ill take a stab at those i think i might know about.
Q1. Heavy water?
Q3 100 000 i think.
Q5 Yes. 1 prototype used by a nazi leader (forget who) who in 1945 used it to escape from the city where he was the designated commander. Was it Breslau?

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 12:39:15 AM)

Q2  Falkenhorst?

Q4    Storch

Seeing as you pushed in[8D]

Which Allied Commander, was in command of 3 different divisions with 1 week??????

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 1:41:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Terje439.

Ill take a stab at those i think i might know about.
Q1. Heavy water?
Q3 100 000 i think.
Q5 Yes. 1 prototype used by a nazi leader (forget who) who in 1945 used it to escape from the city where he was the designated commander. Was it Breslau?

3+5=correct
1=nah [:D] Weirder cargo [:D][:D]

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 1:41:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Q2  Falkenhorst?

Q4    Storch

2+4=correct

JeffroK -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 1:57:13 AM)

Q1    Interesting, we might learn something from the answer

Kaletsch2007 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 9:43:30 AM)

With google it is an easy one.
The original Skjerstad was taken over by the RN in 1940 to ship troops and was sank by the Germans.
Because the insurance covered such an event, the former German ship Hansa was bought and renamed Skjerstad.
In April 1942 she transported 500 (even she was only certified for 250 people) arrested teachers from Trondheim to Kirkenes.

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 12:12:51 PM)

German WW2 helicopters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SrUyNG4fYA

Cheers, Neilster

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 5:25:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

With google it is an easy one.
The original Skjerstad was taken over by the RN in 1940 to ship troops and was sank by the Germans.
Because the insurance covered such an event, the former German ship Hansa was bought and renamed Skjerstad.
In April 1942 she transported 500 (even she was only certified for 250 people) arrested teachers from Trondheim to Kirkenes.

Correct.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 5:45:30 PM)

Ok, google-mode set to off then [:D]

Q1: The British submarine commander Jimmy Launders achieved two milestones in submarine warfare. What two feats did he and his crew accomplish? (The two are quite similar with a small but significant difference.)

Q2: The "Congressional Medal of Honor" is a well known award. Are the following claims true or false?
a) WW2 saw the highest number of MoH's awarded if any armed conflict?
b) No persons were awarded the medal twice during WW2?

Q3: The Doolittle raid was launched from which carrier?

Q4: The German counterattack in the Ardennes in the period Dec 1944 to Jan 1945 is often referred to as "Battle of the Bulge" in english, but what was its German codename?

Q5:Sepp Dietrich, the German commander, was not really named "Sepp", what was his real name?

Orm -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 6:41:50 PM)

quote:

I posted this picture on the forum some time ago. Since I did not know the name of the carrier before I searched the net for this picture I censor myself from answering. But since it is such a nice picture I can't resist from posting it again.

An Army B-25 Mitchell bombers takes off from the deck of the XXXXXXXX on its way to take part in the Doolittle Raid

[image]local://upfiles/29130/20A08D702B1B4FED8AC418C317C25E27.jpg[/image]
Photo credits: U.S. National Archives

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 6:59:53 PM)

As rendered for Splash Screen #1 in the game:

[image]local://upfiles/16701/9C9DE52AA79D401AA67D7E0DD1FDC729.jpg[/image]

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 7:21:47 PM)

quote:

I think it's the Hornet.

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 7:54:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

I think it's the Hornet.

Sure, it is.

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 7:55:36 PM)

quote:

Q2: The "Congressional Medal of Honor" is a well known award. Are the following claims true or false?

b)

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 8:52:47 PM)

quote:

Q1: The British submarine commander Jimmy Launders achieved two milestones in submarine warfare. What two feats did he and his crew accomplish? (The two are quite similar with a small but significant difference.)

Q4: The German counterattack in the Ardennes in the period Dec 1944 to Jan 1945 is often referred to as "Battle of the Bulge" in english, but what was its German codename?

Q5:Sepp Dietrich, the German commander, was not really named "Sepp", what was his real name?

Q2. I expect that the American Civil War saw more CMoH (assuming it existed then).

macgregor -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (3/16/2009 9:30:11 PM)

Q4: Would that not be 'wacht am Rhein?' I don't know if the spelling is correct. The term is misleading as it refers to a more defensive posturing. No?

Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI