RE: Next quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/8/2010 7:23:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Unusual? Her name?

HMS Victorious.

Renamed the USS Robin, she embarked US aircraft and aircrew, and with the Saratoga swept the Soloman Islands, whilst Saratoga embarked all the strike squadrons including the Fleet Air Arm 832 Squadron Avengers.

Resuming her former name, HMS Victorious returned to the Home Fleet at Scapa Flow towards the end of 1943 and in early 1944 her aircraft participated in the attack on the Tirpitz.

Correct [:D]

What an unusual story !!! It rings a bell, now that Josh have written it, but I did not remember.
Why did the Americans did rename the HMS Victorious as the USS Robin ? Why not keep the name ????

Extraneous -> RE: Next quiz (8/8/2010 8:25:32 PM)

Probably due to wanting to confuse the Japanese. And the US aircraft and aircrews.

HMS Victorious

Refitted at Norfolk Navy Yard USA, winter 1942-43, after which she was loaned to the US Pacific Fleet until being replaced by USS Essex. Despite its massive industrial muscle, the United States still found itself short of carriers in the Pacific, the only American carrier available in the South Pacific was USS Saratoga. HMS Victorious sailed to Pearl Harbor to join USS Saratoga's Battle Group, Task Force 14. She arrived and took up duties under Task Force 14 in the the Southwest Pacific on 17th May 1943. Renamed the USS Robin, she embarked US aircraft and aircrew, and with the Saratoga swept the Soloman Islands, whilst Saratoga embarked all the strike squadrons including the Fleet Air Arm 832 Squadron Avengers.

In May-June 1943, at Noumea, New Caledonia, the light cruiser USS San Diego joined USS Saratoga, and carrier HMS Victorious in support of the invasion of Munda, New Georgia, and of Bougainville. During this period Victorious operated 60 British and American Wildcat fighters for air cover. The two carriers sailed on 27th June, the carriers took up position and in the next few days put up 600 sorties against little opposition. The aircraft were reassigned to their parent carriers on 24 July, and the force reached Noumea the next day.

Resuming her former name, HMS Victorious returned to the Home Fleet at Scapa Flow towards the end of 1943 and in early 1944 her aircraft participated in the attack on the Tirpitz.

Josh -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:49:53 AM)

Yeah I was afraid I might be correct, because now I haven't got a clue as what to do [&:]
Ask a question you guys may find hard to answer, right?

Here goes; what fortified position in the Netherlands was able to stop the Germans till the cease fire was signed (after the bombing of Rotterdam)?

Hint in this linky here

paulderynck -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 6:01:29 PM)

The Grebe line. This was also the line the Canadian Army stopped at in late April 45 (attacking from the east as well since by then the Rhine had been crossed and the German army in western Holland was cut off). A cease fire was negotiated so that food could be brought in to the Dutch.

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 8:57:26 PM)

quote:

Yeah I was afraid I might be correct, because now I haven't got a clue as what to do [&:]
Ask a question you guys may find hard to answer, right?

Ask a hard question or a question about something you find fascinating about the war. Or just find fun or weird or....

In fact, any question at all is welcome. [:)]

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:01:37 PM)

This is the only part of Norway not occupied by Germany during WWII. It played an significant role during WWII and Germany sent about 200 bomb missions here. Any idea on what part of Norway this is?

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:02:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

This is the only part of Norway not occupied by Germany during WWII. It played an significant role during WWII and Germany sent about 200 bomb missions here. Any idea on what part of Norway this is?

Bear Island ?

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:15:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Bear Island ?

No. The Bear Island is not an integral part of Norway, or Kingdom of Norway. The part of Norway I ask for is actually a integral part of The Kingdom Of Norway.

The Bear Island is under the sovereignty of Norway but is not part of Norway. The Bear Islands status is governed by the Svalbard Treaty. For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Treaty

Josh -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:18:42 PM)

That's easy: Spitsbergen.

But anyways, my original question hasn't been answered yet. [;)]

And the Grebbeline was a good guess, but not the right one, because it was breached after heavy fighting.
Another hint, it was in the northern part of Holland.

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:21:15 PM)

quote:

That was my second guess.
Spelled that way : Spitzbergen

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:22:42 PM)

quote:

No not Spitsbergen either. No part of Svalbard is the correct answer.

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:26:41 PM)

quote:

quote:

OK. Third Guess : Kirkenes.
I heard it was one of the most bombed places during WW2.

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:36:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK. Third Guess : Kirkenes.
I heard it was one of the most bombed places during WW2.

No. Kirkenes was occupied by Germany and actually an important German base during WWII. And since you mentioned the bombing I did a quck search on it and found out that it was indeed bombed alot.

"Reportedly Kirkenes keeps a second place after Malta on a list of european towns experiencing air-raid alarms and attacks, with more than 1000 alarms and 320 air attacks." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkenes

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:42:44 PM)

North Cape ?

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:46:17 PM)

quote:

Since I got so many answers so fast I will give you another hint.

It had the British codename "Island X". During most of the war the station here sent an updated report every 3rd hour. All around the clock. It was these reports that Germany tried to stop with their bombings but after about 200 bombings with no success they abandoned their efforts in silencing the radio reports.

Josh -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:46:28 PM)

Not Spitsbergen?

gasp.

FAIL!

Well I give up.

@FroonP. uh no, it's actually written as Spitsbergen, with an "s". Not that it's important though.

warspite1 -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:49:50 PM)

quote:

Not Spitsbergen?

gasp.

FAIL!

Well I give up.

@FroonP. uh no, it's actually written as Spitsbergen, with an "s". Not that it's important though.

Warspite1

In best pantomime dame stylee:

"Oh no it isn't!" [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:51:49 PM)

quote:

Warspite1

Faroe Islands?

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 9:56:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Faroe Islands?

No. The Faraoe Islands is not part of Norway. It is (was) part of Denmark.

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 10:00:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

It had the British codename "Island X". During most of the war the station here sent an updated report every 3rd hour. All around the clock. It was these reports that Germany tried to stop with their bombings but after about 200 bombings with no success they abandoned their efforts in silencing the radio reports.

From 1943 to 1946 USA had a base here as well called "Atlantic City".

Edit. A picture of the remains of the main Norweigan base during WWII.

[image]local://upfiles/29130/12BD52AAFE1D4E6795E2D4A776467DB6.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 10:06:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

From 1943 to 1946 USA had a base here as well called "Atlantic City".

Edit. A picture of the remains of the main Norweigan base during WWII.

[image]local://upfiles/29130/12BD52AAFE1D4E6795E2D4A776467DB6.jpg[/image]

Warspite1

Good question - I've just looked it up - I've read about that place a hundred times when reading about the Russian convoys but didn't put two and two together - well done [:)]

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 10:10:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

Jan Mayen ?

Orm -> RE: Next quiz (8/9/2010 10:15:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jan Mayen ?

Indeed. [:)]

Jan Mayen is the correct answer. The meteorological intelligence from here was a big help for the artic conwoys as well as many other aspects of WWII, including operation Overlord.

Extraneous -> RE: Next quiz (8/30/2010 12:17:38 PM)

Name the tank (Its British).

[image]local://upfiles/29440/B85B56349BAA4C4DBEFD4B91CA3BEB92.jpg[/image]

zeal4u -> RE: Next quiz (8/30/2010 7:05:13 PM)

Vickers Light Amphibious Tank

Extraneous -> RE: Next quiz (8/31/2010 1:51:00 AM)

Yup well done [:)]

Extraneous -> RE: Next quiz (9/8/2010 4:03:09 PM)

The traditional ship prefix in the Polish Navy is ORP.

What is the English translation for the meaning of ORP?

micheljq -> RE: Next quiz (9/8/2010 7:52:03 PM)

quote:

HMS for Her Majesty Ship.

warspite1 -> RE: Next quiz (9/8/2010 9:07:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Warspite1

Poland was a Republic...[;)]

Froonp -> RE: Next quiz (9/8/2010 9:12:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Warspite1

Poland was a Republic...[;)]

So, in "ORP", "RP" must mean "Republic of Poland".

Does "ORP" mean "Of the Republic of Poland" ?

Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI