RE: Schwerpunkt Games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Alan Sharif -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/30/2014 8:46:59 PM)

I cannot resist. This is on my list for 2015 for sure.

MisterBoats -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/30/2014 10:40:07 PM)

Map66,

If you've played AGW or RGW, how would you compare the new game to them? I bought both of them, but the interface was really off-putting. I probably did not put enough time into either to get used to all of the processes, but getting through a turn seemed like a real chore. I hope this one is much better. If so, I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for all of the info. I wish I had had posts like yours available 20 years ago! A whole lot of my pay was wasted on bad boardgames, followed by bad PC games.

Rosseau -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/30/2014 10:40:40 PM)

Baloo, if you have the time, let us know if the AI just sits there or what [;)]

Thanks

marcpennington -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/31/2014 3:12:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MisterBoats

Map66,

If you've played AGW or RGW, how would you compare the new game to them? I bought both of them, but the interface was really off-putting. I probably did not put enough time into either to get used to all of the processes, but getting through a turn seemed like a real chore. I hope this one is much better. If so, I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for all of the info. I wish I had had posts like yours available 20 years ago! A whole lot of my pay was wasted on bad boardgames, followed by bad PC games.

I actually never bought either of the early two--- I had only a vague knowledge of Schwerkpunkt previously. That said, I bought this based on a blog post, and yes, utterly hated the interface for the first few days--- while also seeing enough potential in the system to keep going. And it has warmed on me quite a bit (admittedly not completely), especially after disabling auto-scroll and cursor assisted moves, and it is (emphasis) almost starting to feel natural now. All that said, I think the fun in the game and the elegant board game design (let alone the scenario selection, which is a non-issue as I'm just replaying learning scenarios at the moment), has won me over (OK not minor) interface concerns. And, for the record, Ron has been responding extremely quickly to interface suggestions, and already released one patch with a control left click center on the current map which is a huge improvement.

So short answer, seems hopeful.

And as far as AI questions go, defense seems reasonable (aka bad, but it's an ai), still haven't tried an offensive ai scenario, but let's be honest, I've barely played any of those over multiple decades of wargaming in any system....

Edit: and just too be clear, this game was released in what is essentially a beta state. The developer is supporting very quickly and extremely responsive, but it is worth mentioning. Plus, seems like a very good guy per his forum posts. That said, again, it is a system I have a very good feeling about, even if it's not nearly 100% there yet.

baloo7777 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/31/2014 7:55:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Baloo, if you have the time, let us know if the AI just sits there or what [;)]

Thanks

rosseau,

I will. Keep in mind that I struggle against the AI+ in ATG! So i like to play, which should not be translated into I play WELL! [8|]

I found the Schwerkpunkt forum listed below VERY HELPFUL!

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163

baloo7777 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (12/31/2014 7:57:29 PM)

original:map66

quote:

And as far as AI questions go, defense seems reasonable (aka bad, but it's an ai), still haven't tried an offensive ai scenario, but let's be honest, I've barely played any of those over multiple decades of wargaming in any system....

Edit: and just too be clear, this game was released in what is essentially a beta state. The developer is supporting very quickly and extremely responsive, but it is worth mentioning. Plus, seems like a very good guy per his forum posts. That said, again, it is a system I have a very good feeling about, even if it's not nearly 100% there yet.

+1

Rosseau -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/1/2015 2:24:59 AM)

I've always considered my lack of skill a blessing against weaker AI's. I remember installing AGW twice and finding the mere moving and attacking with stacks intolerable. It did not seem that way with RGW and the really old games before it. I could play WitE out of the box, but poorly, of course.

The new UI seems more workable. Or are the AAR'ers just smarter than me? With the great support, however, I will probably get it after a few patches. Thanks all for the info.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/1/2015 1:19:41 PM)

I found , the AI in RGW acceptable, but not the AI in AGW, hence my original question. Must say, this is looking positive where this game is concerned. I am already playing RGW again in preparation. :)

MisterBoats -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/2/2015 1:30:22 AM)

quote:

I actually never bought either of the early two--- I had only a vague knowledge of Schwerkpunkt previously. That said, I bought this based on a blog post, and yes, utterly hated the interface for the first few days--- while also seeing enough potential in the system to keep going. And it has warmed on me quite a bit (admittedly not completely), especially after disabling auto-scroll and cursor assisted moves, and it is (emphasis) almost starting to feel natural now. All that said, I think the fun in the game and the elegant board game design (let alone the scenario selection, which is a non-issue as I'm just replaying learning scenarios at the moment), has won me over (OK not minor) interface concerns. And, for the record, Ron has been responding extremely quickly to interface suggestions, and already released one patch with a control left click center on the current map which is a huge improvement.

So short answer, seems hopeful.

Thanks! I may just go ahead and get it. I'd like to support a designer who is willing to put in that much effort, and who is good to his customers.

spelk -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/5/2015 6:18:39 AM)

Ron has kindly allowed me to post up his list of Tips for playing World War II Europe (WWIIE)

http://sugarfreegamer.com/world-war-ii-europe-tips/

oldspec4 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/5/2015 9:46:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spelk

Ron has kindly allowed me to post up his list of Tips for playing World War II Europe (WWIIE)

http://sugarfreegamer.com/world-war-ii-europe-tips/

Excellent..exactly what I needed to better understand the game concepts.

An AAR actually using the various tips would also be useful for my mediocre game playing skills.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/5/2015 11:30:59 AM)

i got Russo German war - the interface was a little counter intuitive at first, but once i just learned which key does what, its pretty easy to use and i kind of find it easier than War in the East - but i guess thats just me, as i like turn based games which break things down into phases. Plus the RGW also has alot of scenarios

i have got the lates WW2 Europe one and it combineds both games really but with also grand campaigns and more and whats better is that the interface is better in that you can do everything via mouse and there are lots of details on screen - such as the game status window, which not only indicates turn phase but details what actions are available to you in each turn specifically - i have found this very helpful to allow me to get into the game far easier than War in teh East - though i do like War in teh East also and will get War in the West when i have the funds

Templer_12 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/6/2015 8:40:08 AM)

There is an update v1.0.2 now

1. Changed German flag on Axis Win and Stalemate graphics (end of scenario).

2. WWIIE now enforces stack limits on ground, air and naval stacks (max is 6 units each type).

3. WWIIE now enforces max number of attacks by the Computer Opponent.

4. WWIIE now saves files for the last 12 Saves (end of each phase, or player selected). Files are
numbered WWEcurrentxx.wwe where xx varies from 1 to 12. Files are time tagged to show the sequence.

5. WWIIE now allows Air ops by the Computer opponent during rain weather.

6. Increased the defense modifiers for digin, entrench and fortified (DEF). Was +1/8, +1/4, +1/2 DF.
Is now +1/4, +1/2, +1 DF. Also fixed display of calculated DF on units to include DEF.

7. Eliminated UNDO operation for Air Recon operation.

Ostwindflak -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/7/2015 7:29:34 PM)

I have been following this thread and went to Schwerpunkt Games to check these titles out. The World War II Europe is appealing. I was wondering from some of you guys that play these games if it is similar to the Advanced Third Reich board game or is it something else entirely?

Bamilus -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 12:20:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I have been following this thread and went to Schwerpunkt Games to check these titles out. The World War II Europe is appealing. I was wondering from some of you guys that play these games if it is similar to the Advanced Third Reich board game or is it something else entirely?

Never played ATG but based on my knowledge of ATG it is not. WWIIE is much more detailed and there's no grand campaign scenario that covers all of Europe, but Ron will be releasing bigger scenarios later such as West Front and East Front. I bought the game but haven't played much as I'm waiting for the other scenarios to be released and waiting for some things to be added (right now it is my understanding that HQ's don't really do that much and it's on Ron's list to fix that). Otherwise the game's interface is definitely not the easiest to use but it is simple and the counters are beautiful. The game also has like 50 scenarios right now and the plan is to have around 100 when Ron releases them all. The attention to OOB and detail in the scenarios is awesome. And its great to have a game where you can play so many scenarios of different sizes using the same engine (just like TOAW III). Highly recommended!

Ostwindflak -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 2:37:41 PM)

Just curious Bamilus. In your response are you referencing Advanced Tactics Gold (ATG) or are you referring to the board game Advanced Third Reich?

Bamilus -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 3:16:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Just curious Bamilus. In your response are you referencing Advanced Tactics Gold (ATG) or are you referring to the board game Advanced Third Reich?

Woops....ATR. Sorry. But the game isn't like ATG either [:D]

barkman44 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 8:16:27 PM)

I just purchased thru paypal but how do I get the game?Did not receive any email from schwerpunkt
and there are no instructions on how to dl.
I hope I did not just make a contribution.
Will wait awhile then contact paypal.

operating -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 8:25:04 PM)

This store has advertised the game for 15 years that I know of nws-online@nws-online.net

Bamilus -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 8:28:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

I just purchased thru paypal but how do I get the game?Did not receive any email from schwerpunkt
and there are no instructions on how to dl.
I hope I did not just make a contribution.
Will wait awhile then contact paypal.

Ron will send you a download link. It might take a day or two cause he works a real life job. It is not a scam, you will get your game. Just be patient.

quote:

This store has advertised the game for 15 years that I know of nws-online@nws-online.net

Those are the old games. NWS Online does not sell World War 2 in Europe.

Bamilus -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/8/2015 8:30:09 PM)

n/t - please delete

Rosseau -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/13/2015 10:38:14 PM)

I have a copy of the WW2e manual and was disappointed to learn the editor will not be included until all 102 scenarios are done - whenever that will be? Could be six months realistically.

I go back to when Ron would ship his first games in paper envelopes. But AGW was unplayable to me. And the WW2e tutorial is a wall of text in the manual. I simply refuse to work that hard to play any game. WitE was my limit.

Bamilus -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/13/2015 10:48:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I have a copy of the WW2e manual and was disappointed to learn the editor will not be included until all 102 scenarios are done - whenever that will be? Could be six months realistically.

I go back to when Ron would ship his first games in paper envelopes. But AGW was unplayable to me. And the WW2e tutorial is a wall of text in the manual. I simply refuse to work that hard to play any game. WitE was my limit.

I'll admit the WWIIe manual isn't the best but honestly it was written in a pretty no-nonsense approach. There's some stuff that is a bit confusing but I thought the game was actually pretty accessible. Just my opinion but I play WITP/WITE/WITW and this game is maybe 1/20th as complex as them. I'll grant that there are some things that are annoying because the interface isn't the best but I've definitely seen worse. I would say comparing this to AGW would be a mistake because many of the mechanics are similar but the interface is much more improved.

Your point about the 102 scenarios and editor is correct. To be fair the game is probably more of an early access type thing, but not in terms of bugs. The game is very stable, all the mechanics work, the only thing missing is half the scenarios, the editor, and a few tweaks like making HQ's more important. Still fully playable with great depth.

Templer_12 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 12:04:09 PM)

[sm=character0229.gif] For a very first look, there is a YouTube video now:

-> Schwerpunkt's World War II Europe wargame Introduction

MrsWargamer -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 12:59:16 PM)

That video is one of the best game explanation videos I have seen in a long time. Excellently executed, a very advisable watch.

This will easily perform as well as any demo could hope to accomplish. If you still need a demo after watching this, then I doubt the demo would do you any good either :) And no, if your machine won't run it, you might want to get rid of the machine eh.

Ostwindflak -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 3:46:55 PM)

Curious if anyone knows how the other scenarios will be made available once they are completed. Are they sending them to people who own the game via postal service or through a download option which I do not see on their web page?

oldspec4 -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 4:13:19 PM)

Newly completed scenarios have been made available through download for those who have purchased the game. I believe that I have downloaded two new scenarios by this method, Uranus and Zitadelle.

Ostwindflak -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 4:15:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

Newly completed scenarios have been made available through download for those who have purchased the game. I believe that I have downloaded two new scenarios by this method, Uranus and Zitadelle.

Thank you for the response.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 10:52:04 PM)

Truth be told, I have WANTED to like AGW for a long time (I have had it since it came out), but the UI always defeated me.

The video sure makes a difference, and might get me to get this one. I've always liked Ron's unapologetic 'make it look like a board game wargame' stance.

This is more the game I have wanted, than Gary's in a lot of ways. I am not saying Gary's is better or worse, it is just how I saw them matched against each other.

Rosseau -> RE: Schwerpunkt Games (1/14/2015 11:30:00 PM)

Lots of hits on the Wargamer forum for this game. Waiting to get my download link now. Thank you Bamilus, for your opinions.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI