RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (10/1/2009 12:47:34 AM)

Alright, it's been a long time since i posted an update. I did some thinkering today with the mod and finally found a fix for the trainstation problem. I'm testing it to ensure there is no unwanted effects to it and may post the new version once i'm ok with the results. Also, i improved the AI a bit so it waste less time trying to shoot through walls or allies, it greatly speed up battles. 

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7 (10/1/2009 2:35:44 AM)

The new version is up. Please report any bugs or quirks you run into. 

Reinforce -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7 (10/1/2009 3:21:18 AM)

Ooo looks good will we need to start a new game? Thanks for the update too. ^_^ *hugs*

Much love,
Reinforce

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7 (10/1/2009 3:19:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reinforce

Ooo looks good will we need to start a new game? Thanks for the update too. ^_^ *hugs*

Much love,
Reinforce

If you have started a game since v1.5, there should be no problems with saved games. This version has no major changes to it that could cause crashes.

Anthropoid -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7 (2/6/2010 3:45:00 PM)

You guys still playing this game?

Have not played Hired Guns for a long time, and was thinking about DLing the latest mod and givin' it a go! [:D]

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7 (2/9/2010 3:06:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

You guys still playing this game?

Have not played Hired Guns for a long time, and was thinking about DLing the latest mod and givin' it a go! [:D]

Have fun then. I haven't played it for a while too, let alone work on this mod. It's sad, this game has a lot of potential, but it has been left unfinished and i doubt it will ever be. There is a lot that can be done to improve it mod wise, but lots of content is missing and only the original devs could do it.

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (2/26/2010 3:17:23 PM)

quote:

quote:

I can also confirm james_austintx 's comments about the AI. It's not just non-combatants like on Safari--I just finished playing through the DAM. Had two mercs crossing the bridge, covering at the nests. Two enemies were at the end of the bridge. Kneeling inside the nests meant enemies couldn't get a line of fire. So they would walk back and forth at the end of the bridge, kneeling and standing up, ad infinitum. Many other enemies also did this on the map when they didn't have a clear line of fire, rather than moving to a concealed position or charging me--either of which at least would have given them a fighting chance.

I too have seen this-also a rather amusing one taking the airport where Bogges was aiming a serious cannon and it woulda landed me in a BAD way range/kz etc, but every time he had his turn he'd line up, aim, shake a bit(like aim adjust), then get up and do static pirouette (like icekateer git or smthng), this guy would do this until AP drained. Some turns he'd continue, others he'd snap out of it & try finding me again---are these guys recruiting ballerinas now or does this one guy have neuro-dysfunction? So I let him go to 3rd act & then poured forth my applause.

Mb a new elite tactic? Think running compromises LOS, try dancing...you'll DIE laughing

Problem is I ran 'nilla, patch & MOD varieties, so can't say for sure what one was running when this happened, it was only once I had a 'dancer' but this dude was right outta some Indian music video or something...tres drole!

Anthropoid -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (2/28/2010 5:33:34 PM)

I had some real fun with this game until I had it fully figured out and then started bumping into those AI glitches. Shame that this one is not going forward. It had/has real potential.

Anyway, fun for a while!

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/1/2010 1:09:41 AM)

quote:

I had some real fun with this game until I had it fully figured out and then started bumping into those AI glitches. Shame that this one is not going forward. It had/has real potential.

Anyway, fun for a while!

Well, my desire to keep working on this mod has dried up from the lack of interest/feedback i received for it. I also had to reinstall my OS recently and the game has been removed from my computer. Modding this game can be tedious, especially when it comes to the AI (difficult to debug with trial and error). Hammering the bugs was the most tedious and annoying part of modding this game, and without feedback it's an extremely slow process. I don't need much to keep me interested in modding, but knowing people like what i do does give me the fuel to keep going...

So if anyone want me to go back to mod this game, post something!

Anthropoid -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/1/2010 10:50:58 PM)

I don't think I ever DLed the last version of your Mod Foraven. I will try to do that and do a replay, and provide some feedback.

The main limitation from my standpoint of the game was that there is no map editor. The AI glitches only seemed to become a problem once you had learned the game and did well at it.

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/2/2010 12:22:27 AM)

quote:

I don't think I ever DLed the last version of your Mod Foraven. I will try to do that and do a replay, and provide some feedback.

The main limitation from my standpoint of the game was that there is no map editor. The AI glitches only seemed to become a problem once you had learned the game and did well at it.

Well, i did work a lot on the AI, it should work a lot better than the stock one. At least it can switch weapons and pick target better, and don't "dance" as much before shooting.

Anthropoid -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/2/2010 1:05:51 AM)

I had definitely DLed an earlier version of your Mod, and had played a lot with that, but never finished my game, i.e., finishing the whole map and was waiting to DL the latest version of your Mod till I did that. Then I lost interest in the game.

I fired it up the other day, and it seemed very sticky on my big screen TV. I think I might need to tweak the display settings to get it to be playable. I probably had them changed when I was playing the game last summer.

Is this the only Matrix game you play?

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/2/2010 1:36:46 AM)

quote:

Is this the only Matrix game you play?

No, i did not try any other games from Matrix so far.

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/4/2010 10:55:21 PM)

I've tried this MOD before but would have to see if my vers is even the newer one.
As far as I've seen it's really good stuff, Foraven (Q&A...you AKA'Raven' I've seen on other forum(s)? Just curious)-so by all means don't give up unless you believe you're finally at the end of the long modding road. I got some stuff I'm doing myself, but will try to play a bit to see if I run into any issues\report them back. May be a while tho-
actually getting to\testing etc.

Not sure if it was yours alone (ran a few mods into each other/'doublin up' style, but I did notice at one point in time Airport's helicopter gear was missing...usually 2types gren lnchr in my game, if I remember right, the box was gone entirely and couldn't even be explored.

But I'm very unsure if this was from YOUR mod or another I'd also had in place. Yours focused solely on AI issues, right? Either way, SOLID work! Keep it up, you KNOW the enemy will...

"Um...Todd, you've got some nacho cheese on the end of your johnson"
"So I DO...It is but a small price to pay...for victory"-Code Monkeys

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (3/6/2010 3:56:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: blemishednicely

(Q&A...you AKA'Raven' I've seen on other forum(s)? Just curious)

Nah, it's not me.

quote:

-so by all means don't give up unless you believe you're finally at the end of the long modding road.

For now i ran out of ideas for this mod.

quote:

But I'm very unsure if this was from YOUR mod or another I'd also had in place. Yours focused solely on AI issues, right? Either way, SOLID work! Keep it up, you KNOW the enemy will...

I guess you must have mixed up some files when installing the mods. The way the game works we end up overwriting files when we mod, if you try to run several mods that alter the same files, you end up with a messed up game. Also, if you patched the game after installing the mod, you will also break the mod as the patch would reset some modded files. My mod alter a lot of things in the game, not just the AI.

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (4/4/2010 9:09:35 PM)

I easily may have...also meant to say MOSTLY not solely...forgot about it 'till now also (didn't see it mentioned prior), but has anyone else had issues with the M2Carbine? I stopped trying to use it (deleted it entirely) 'cuz if I remember right I could buy IT, but NOT the ammo to go in it...EVERY time I click on the "box" it's in (shop screen) the game crashes HARD! As far as I can tell, this was the only big problem I ran into. If I'm all on my own here I may have somehow botched it, though I'm sure this was an issue with the MOD as I haven't been able to use it PERIOD. Still damn fine work though, good on you, Foraven!

"Death and Poverty are SO rife in the lands that peasants are forced into having children, simply as a cheap alternative to Thanks-Giving dinner!" -Black Adder

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (4/7/2010 2:01:33 PM)

Hum... I thought i had fixed all the ammo bugs from the mod. It's quite possible it is a corrupted save game issue because a lot of things get crammed in the saves, so even if you use the fixed mod files the bug will still happen. I don't have the game installed to check though, will have to reinstall (if i find where i put it).

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (4/30/2010 11:13:26 PM)

Maybe, but I'm fairly positive I tried it fresh even (obliterated ALL traces of game/no saves & reloaded MOD). As far as I could tell the ammo for the rifle wasn't even unusable, you couldn't even LOOK at it in the shop to GET it to begin with- the second you click on it, the game blows you out to desktop...REALLY wish I could remember the error script it gives, that'd maybe help narrow it a bit...still you didn't even build that one so if you've no clue, can't really shout aloud now, can I? Besides it's not like your MOD only did a thing or two, bigger pile of tweaks than a meth-den AND functional, too-not bad AT ALL! If it can't be figured oh,well-it's ONLY 1 gun...still GREAT work Foraven-VERY WELL DONE! And thank you would never be enough, but it's all I got-LOLS

"Between you, me and the gay-Pope, in his-to-ry it's great-whites I hate most"-Reveal (T.H.C./The Hate Club)

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (5/11/2010 1:31:40 AM)

Better late than never, i did check out the mod files today and could not find any typos or visible mistakes that could cause any problem. But i don't have the game to try it out, i can't find my copy to reinstall it. The m2 use my new 7.62x33 caliber, but it's the only gun using it... It's possible one of the file is corrupted, but more than likely more than just one gun would be bugged. But as you pointed out, it's only one gun. But you could modify the caliber of the gun in the weapons*.xml files to use 5.56 mm ammos instead, then it would work.

Harry Renquist -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (5/16/2010 3:52:58 PM)

I tried to look into modding for Silent Storm and 7.62 but found out you either have to hard code an editor, use a plugin for 3dmax(which developers won't release) or sometimes use hardcoding with a map editor like;

http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi

or

http://www.torquepowered.com/products/constructor

I havn't examined the files yet for Hired Guns but suspect it's some proprietory thing, too bad I've always wanted to mod maps and objects like buildings, vehicles etc.

To include a map editor costs the publisher more money so they ususally don't.

Does anyone know if they are going to make Hired Guns 2 or an expansion?

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (5/18/2010 2:56:41 AM)

I really doubt they will ever make an expansion or a follow up. Matrix game got it from Russian developers who intended that game to be Jagged Alliance 3. But for some reason they had to drop the project, and Hired Gun is pretty much what they had done minus all the Jagged Alliance names and story. I don't even know if someone is still working on the patch, last i heard about it was months ago...

I don't think they used any proprietary stuff to make that game. From what i know from Russian developers, they don't reinvent the wheel when it comes to coding. They can make pretty good games but won't innovate code wise.

Harry Renquist -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (5/18/2010 3:35:30 AM)

What I meant by propietory was they write code for their own editor and write a plugin script for 3dmax from the 3dmax sdk. The UFO series; Ufo Aftermath;Aftershock;Afterlight; a bunch of people asked the developers about a map editor and they replied that it was part script part code but it was basically a plugin for Gmax or 3dmax and required a $30,000 license fee in order to distribute it to the modders; so thats why. The editors rarely get included with games atleast not in turn based squad level games like these; which are my favourite. I saw someone once edit the maps and everything for the silent storm engine but stopped. I later learned he was a game developer.

Hired Guns was never supposed to be Jagged Alliance 3; atleast that's the news I've read over the last 4 years. I believe it was made by GFI;Game factory or Peter Games I can't remember.

As for Jagged Alliance 3(Which strategyfirst owns the license to) its been handed to a number of developers including F1 and who knows what. Now as I guess you know; Bitcomposer is the current developer for JA3.

http://www.bit-composer.com/www_en/newsarchive.aspx?newsid=9e87d356-8529-45b5-a49f-8a814749efc9

I myself liked Xcom the best; Rumour had it 3 years ago 2K was going to be the developer; which it now is public knowledge; but their version is a FPS; instead of turn based squad level game. But there is also the rumour that Firaxis was handed the job of making a turn based squad level version of the New Xcom. Atleast that's the rumour.

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (5/18/2010 4:25:52 AM)

But as someone who did dig into the code of Hired Guns, i can say that they DID intend to make it a JA 3. They just renamed most of the characters and entities in the game, but in the code/database it still refer to the original names. Just look yourself in the code and you will find a lot of reference to Jagged Alliance. I did read an article about this long ago, but unfortunately, i can't find it on the net (don't remember how i found it back then).

Edit : Finally i found what i was searching for : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_%28series%29. HG was intended as J2 in 3d, but the project got dropped due to disagreements between SFI and GFI. Hired Guns is just an attempt to salvage the code, it was never a finished product and most likely never will be.

Harry Renquist -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (5/18/2010 3:18:53 PM)

Is there Russian mods for Hired Guns out there? The Russians usually do alot of modding for games like this.
I searched the net but couldn't find any.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya, you were right. Strategy First hired GFI who then hired Mist land to make a JA3 game. But for some
unknown reason. SF pulled the plug and cancelled. So Mist land was left with a partially finished game and renamed it African Alliance, then Jazz Hired Guns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed your mod right after installing the game. I notice alot of ammo at Dickie Jays has no description. There is a picture of the ammo but no item description of what type of ammo it is? Is this your mod or the game's bug?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found this interesting article on a Russian website about Mist Land's JA3 version. Apparently the reason why Strategyfirst cancelled was that the Mistland version had smart pause mode in it? Duh ! Smart pause is alot better than rigid turn based for this game. Anybody who's played Aperion games longer than five minutes would know this. The tactical screens for one are larger than JA2, also smart pause has options to allow you what to pause and not to pause on. It ends up with alot smoother gameplay and of course faster encounters. Also I found you don't need to reload a save game(unless it has CTD bugs). In Aperion games when aiming it tells you the chances of hitting target;low;bad;good;outstanding etc etc. So you know whether to waste ammunition or not. In Hired Guns your guys frequently miss the target or hit it for 2 hp of damage? and everyone dies and you have to reload a save game. Its very poor game design if you have to reload any save.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.ag.ru/articles/interviews/hired_guns_the_jagged_edge/3743&client=firefox-a

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (6/12/2010 11:00:36 PM)

Right on, I'll have to try that once I'm motivated again. 2nd period of this year has been just AWEFUL on pretty much EVERY front! I only just noticed your reply, but I didn't even try to do anything with the M2-figured it was totally busted...I THOUGHT it was odd having only one gun with issues-beyond the occasional name/description/photo missing. That's kind of WHY I was beginning from ground-up...if I ran into any such issues, figured it'd be easier to catch/ID & fix one at a time instead of in a bulk-load of data (DL'd MODs). Maybe it's just an issue with the ammo as you suggest, possibly then I can "rework" the ammo it's slotted to use, or failing that go with 5.56 as per your post here. Thanks for the tip-I admit I hadn't even considered it that far beyond just "broken". If I CAN get it functioning, ESPECIALLY with the special ammo it's listed to use ('steado 5.56 or mb even with), I'll upload it or PM it to you (if I CAN PM it-never tried anything but a .PNG) if you want. THANKS, FORAVEN!!!

"For every one person with a spark of genius, there are one-hundred others with ignition troubles"

blemishednicely -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod V 1.6c (6/12/2010 11:15:53 PM)

I can't remember WHO but someone in the MOD forums for HG here was using irfanview to smooth the gradients on the map borders/skirts, but I haven't checked it out enough yet to see if it's ONLY good for the skirt edges, or IF the map itself can be effected. Even though compatibility may be an issue, I wonder if there are any "homebrew"/other app's outside of what developer's used, or if it's possible to find a SIMILAR style/coded game w/map editor that can be adapted (skipping $30,000 licence fees and such)? Problem is good luck figuring out WHAT they even used to begin with for a base comparison. Good news is even the licenced program didn't come out of a genie's bottle, so there still HAS to be a way to do this-you just gotta find/figure it...who likes a challenge?

"set your goals ridiculously high. That way even when you fail, you will fail above all others successes."-James Cameron (I HATE that guy...but spiffy quote, so here it is)

rakun -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (7/17/2010 8:34:12 PM)

your mod is absolutely fine.i really hope u can get together with Tidus97 and Renforce to activate the H.E.R.C site and reskin armoured soldiers so they can be viewable.all in all you have done a great job.have u ever been on the Bear Pit JA2 community.Hired Guns just needs a few tweaks to become the true Jagged Alliance 3D.Those russians should have the source code out by now,but maybe its in russian.Please all JA lovers if someone knows russian make the dream come true.

MVP7 -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (8/16/2010 11:14:47 PM)

This mod looks very good but I'm having some problems with it: New weapons and items don't have names or descriptions in shop.

I have only downloaded this file http://www.gamemodshosting.com/showfile-52/fine_tuned_17.zip' and succesfully unzipped it on original folder (no problems there). Should I have downloaded something else? Is this file just patch instead of standalone? I have steam version of the Hired guns but I doubt it matters. Size of the file at gamemodshosting.com is only 1.74 MB should it be larger? [&:]

Sorry if this has been discussed already, I didn't read the whole thread.

Foraven -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (8/20/2010 5:24:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MVP7

This mod looks very good but I'm having some problems with it: New weapons and items don't have names or descriptions in shop.

I have only downloaded this file http://www.gamemodshosting.com/showfile-52/fine_tuned_17.zip' and succesfully unzipped it on original folder (no problems there). Should I have downloaded something else? Is this file just patch instead of standalone? I have steam version of the Hired guns but I doubt it matters. Size of the file at gamemodshosting.com is only 1.74 MB should it be larger? [&:]

Sorry if this has been discussed already, I didn't read the whole thread.

Sorry for the late reply, i hardly come to this forum since i no longer have the game installed. Your problem there is you are using a non english version of the game, meaning all the renamed/added stuff isn't in the right folder... As for the file size; most of the changes are in text, that's why it's small. I did add some skins and weapon pictures, but that don't add that much to the file size.

MVP7 -> RE: The Fine Tuned mod (8/20/2010 1:31:50 PM)

Thanks for reply. Do you have any idea what folders I should change? My game isn't actually non-engish but it has a locale folder 'english' when the mod is made for 'usa'. I fixed that but still can't see the names or descs on any new items. is there something else localized?

EDIT. Ok, problem solved. For some reason, I had to extrack the locale files to "russian" folder that was there with english folder (even though I'm playing game in english...). But I think I also used TFT rar that I had downloaded some weeks earlier but never installed it before, it was slightly different size than the newer one, dunno if that's because I might have edited the rar while strugling with this problem. Many thanks for this mod Foraven [sm=00000436.gif]

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI