RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Opponents Wanted

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/21/2009 10:08:01 PM)

The TU and Fr files have been reposted! Let me know if there is a problem, as I'll be close to my comuter this PM.

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/21/2009 10:10:13 PM)

How does everyone feel about a house rule vote about Insurrection?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2170984

My observations from "Another PBEM" and you can scroll down to read corroborating testimony on the part of lenin and IronWarrior from the same game that this particular game mechanic is really out of whack.

We are really early in this game so would request we consider a vote on implementing this rule:

No insurrection missions against a human power. Insurrections and coups still permitted against AI controlled minors.

The chances of success, ability to defend against it, risk/reward balance, etc are are all seriously unbalanced currently. I hope the developer will address the issue in the next patch. Its so bad I may consider a seperate petition type thread about it.

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/21/2009 10:46:13 PM)

Not having played the game long enough I have no accurate opinion on this, but if the other players feel it unbalances things I'm ok without using the insurrection function of the diplomat.

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/21/2009 11:54:09 PM)

So we are waiting on Sweden and then Spain to do his turn and merge for T12?

and2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 6:04:14 AM)

We are waiting on Sweden and then me combining the turn.

Concerning the matter of the insurrection missions, my vote would be a yes to making a house rule that states "No insurrection missions against a human power. Insurrections and coups are still permitted against AI controlled minors."

It seems unbalanced at the moment and a potential game spoiler in a PBEM game.

Kingmaker -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 8:43:37 AM)

HiHi

Monte, have you passed on B2s instructions for Sweden?

Andrew is normally very good on returns so I'm thinking maybe he's waiting on instruction.

Just a Thought

PS, you have a new Nickname 'Mouth of Suron' (from LoR) [:D]

All the Best
Peter

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 9:55:10 AM)

Ouch?

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 11:13:40 AM)

Hi Peter,
Mouth of Sauron! Nice touch. No I hav'nt heard from the Swedish player in the last couple of turns.

and2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 5:51:09 PM)

All set, just waiting for Sweden

and2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 8:57:14 PM)

Turn 12 processed, Poland is getting carved up piece by piece :)

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/22/2009 11:15:59 PM)

Guys please chime in with your vote for an insurrection house rule. Only 2 votes for far (I dont know isnt a vote montesaur).

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 12:23:52 AM)

I vote we not use the insurrection function of the Diplomats! Though it places the peaceful non conquering Turkish peoples at a disadvantage in not being able to use this function! [;)]

IronWarrior -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 12:36:02 AM)

You already have my opinion on the matter, I'm for the house rule.

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 1:12:07 AM)

French turn again turned in with the report file in a text format inside the email instead of attached as a .rep file.

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 2:39:12 AM)

Epic fail monte. Still didnt attach the .rep file correctly.

[:-]

Kingmaker -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 8:11:43 AM)

HiHi

Fraid I'm the odd one out, but obviously I will go along with the majority decision.

However my own personal opinion is dead set against the introduction of ‘House rules’ except where it involves a recognised Bug or involves an issue that gives clear advantage to 1 nation.

My reasoning is this is “a game” and any problems with game play that do occur should be flagged for the Devs to sort out in the next patch in the meantime the probs affect everybody so just get on with it, faults and all.

As I understand it, there are random elements built into the game whereby seemingly shocking events do take place, eg Movement will not always go as you plan, Trade deals will not always go as you plan, Ships will not always go to sea when you order them to, Diplomatic actions will not always come off as planned etc. etc.etc.

But, because there is a random element in the game some events may well come on top of each other, in the case of Insurrections & Coups nobody has seen fit to mention that there is also long, long periods where Diplomats fail time after time after time to pull anything off, also it is simply not true that there is no defence against it, eg set a Diplo to Expel/capture in sensitive provinces, of course that does mean that they can’t be used elsewhere doing glamorous stuff to ‘Reduce Moral’ or ‘Charm’, but then IMO diplomatic actions should not only be seen as offensive but defensive as well, cope with it it’s part of the Game.

But, and it’s a big But, my biggest objection to setting unnecessary ‘House Rules’ is that you set president for the introduction of HR’s further down the line when someone finds their craftily conceived concept doesn’t work, then they too want a HR as well, and then you have gaming time taken up by various discussions for & against till it devolves to the ludicrous situation of, “Voting”, on who is to be ‘Judge’ to monitor the new HR; some of you may think this farfetched, well, it’s already happened once!

Again merely my personal opinion but I want to play the game, warts and all, not get involved in time wasting bickering ‘Rule by Committee’.

Right folks, Rant over, ... guess it's now time for me to get a new nickname, how about ... “Lonely” [:D]

PS Though it places the peaceful non conquering Turkish peoples at a disadvantage in not being able to use this function! Monte raises a good point here in that it is again the smaller nations that get disadvantaged ie the complete opposite of what this game was trying to do, give the little guys a chance.

All the Best
Peter

Kingmaker -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 9:14:40 AM)

HiHi

PPS to the above, just found this from ericbabe on another Thread, it maybe helps put the Inserection thing in perspective, note the penelties involved.

I like the idea of only one insurrection per turn per minor -- it's just a little tricky to figure out which diplomat to allow to have that chance. I suppose we could search all the diplomats in the region and only allow the one with the best stats to have a roll.

Remember there is a penalty of -50 attitude with every minor power in the game for a failed insurrection attempt. We've been talking about adding a glory penalty on top of this, and possibly of giving the attempt itself a monetary cost, or perhaps a chance of one.

I think there's enough precedent in the period to justify diplomatically-motivated insurrections, though they shouldn't be as common as some people are describing on this thread -- I'd originally had in mind maybe 3 or 4 successful insurrections per game.

For instance, the insurrection attempt in Amsterdam in 1794 was motivated by French revolutionaries and organized with French assistance.

Stein and Gneisenau planned Prussian insurrection attempts against the French with British assistance in 1808, and engaged in "most careful and secret diplomatic preparations" with Austria, and they received secret funds from the British Foreign Secretary toward this. George Canning also tried to engage Russia to provide secret support for the Prussian insurrection. Stein was impressed with the Spanish resistance against French occupation and was attempting to replicate Spanish guerrilla-style insurgency against French occupied Prussia.

The British gave assistance to the insurgents in the Vendee for years.

Hofer's Tyrolian insurrection started with secret talks between Hofer and Archduke Johann in January of 1809.

I believe that Schill, who lead the 1809 insurrection attempt in Westphalia, had been in secret communication with Austria as well.

I'd also classify Murat's defection following an agreement with Austria in 1813 as a COG:EE-style insurrection. Murat also tried to regain power by holding an insurrection in Calabria.

William Hill, the British minister in Cagliari, worked with Alessandro Turri to promote insurrection in Sardinia.

The British and the Austrians had many clandestine plans for fomenting insurrection in Italy. The British funded many insurrection attempts in Italy, Dalmatia, and Tyrolia that came to no effect. They had so many failed attempts that the British began to give up home of funding a successful insurrection in Italy. Lord Bentinck, a British general, was dispatched as a diplomat to Sicily with the secret mission of attempting to foment an insurrection there. Bentinck traveled all around the Mediterranean, officially as a British diplomat, but all the while secretly engaged in attempting to foment anti-French insurrection. In 1810 Bentinck provided Francis d'Este with £100,000 (which I believe is about .5% of the entire British GDP for that year) to support an insurrection in Illyria and Corfu.

The 1813 Dutch insurrection was supported by 25,000 muskets smuggled from England and propaganda printed in Prussia.

Anyway, I don't think it's at all a-historical to have diplomats attempting to foment coups in conquered territory. A diplomat with a box of cash and maybe some smuggled muskets could, in fact, do what "special forces" often could not do.

All the Best
Peter

timurlain -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 10:20:21 AM)

Hello,

I can feel Kingmaker's pain. The more rules are in place outside the hardwired rules in the game itself the more problems. Who will check how many inserrections a month is another player doing ? What is the penalty if you make a mistake and forget the house rule (let's say you are playing a turn for someone else).

I think I would benefit more from the rule in place than not and I kind of object it. OTOH I will not make big fuss even if you apply the rule.

Kingmaker -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 11:12:04 AM)

HiHi

OK then, "Lonely (ish)" [:)]

All the Best
Peter

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 12:46:10 PM)

Peter makes some good arguments.I would like to change my vote to a let's use the insurrection rule. His arguments are good.
It does'nt make sense to conquer a dozen minors, and not have to worry about your enemies fomenting revolution.
If your going to rule the world you need to keep something around to keep things in order!

IN regards to my being unable to post the REP files. I'm not sure whats going on. I'm afraid I might have a Malware, because 95% of the time I try to attach a file my DPS comes up(data protection service) and cancels the load, and shuts shuts me down. I will take my computer in today to get it checked out.
I do believe that Barbarossa2 will hopefully be up and running, so will try to contact him today to do my turn.
Ill keep you posted.[&:]

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 2:05:12 PM)

So, I'll no longer be the mouth of Sauron!(hopefully).[:)]

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 2:33:24 PM)

Just talked to Barbarossa2. He is in the process of reloading his COGEE, and should be able to do his turn in about 3-4 hours. I will then discuss with him my turn to get mine done also. I'm hoping to have my computer back by Saturday.

MorningDew -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 2:51:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker
However my own personal opinion is dead set against the introduction of ‘House rules’ except where it involves a recognised Bug or involves an issue that gives clear advantage to 1 nation.

As a point of fact, I'm typically opposed to "house rules" as well, but it seems to me that the ease of insurrections is a bug. FYI, I think possibly the ease of coups is the same issue.

montesaurus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 3:05:21 PM)

Actually, I always thought a "Coup" was difficult to get, plus if you fail isn't there a big hit to your glory?
One question in regards to coups: if you fail, are you able to attempt it again in the same country, or is it just a one time attempt for any individual country?

MorningDew -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 6:53:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: montesaurus

Actually, I always thought a "Coup" was difficult to get, plus if you fail isn't there a big hit to your glory?
One question in regards to coups: if you fail, are you able to attempt it again in the same country, or is it just a one time attempt for any individual country?

You just keep trying until it works. Only takes a few months usually with the right diplomat, which is why I think it's easy.

and2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/23/2009 7:14:56 PM)

Hey all

I read your post, Peter, making the case against house rules, and although I generally agree that house rules is something to be avoided and only taken into use as a last measure to preserve game balance, I will in the following make the case why we do need a house rule against insurrections in another major powers territory, until WCS makes a patch.

1. Its too easy to succeed an insurrection mission.

2. The penalty for an unsuccessful insurrection mission is near non-existent. Minus 50 influence, any decent diplomat can charm that away in a month.

3. Only counter-measure is other diplomats. Garrisons, National Morale, Glory, Buildings (Art and Courts for example) has no preventive effect.

4. Success on the insurrection mission isn't influenced by anything but the "roll" of dice against the diplomat's statistics, the target nation's national morale, glory, empire status, buildings, potential garrisons, or even armies. The story about the 400.000 troops being kicked out of Bavaria, by 7.000 insurrectionists springs to my mind as an extreme example of how this game feature can spin out of control in a multiplayer environment.

5. Moreover Pandora's box is now open. Now we all know, and would be fool's not too exploit this, supposing we play the game to win, besides the other aspects of diplomacy and logistics to mention some other great reasons to play PBEM.

6. WCS acknowledges that there is a problem and talk about "I like the idea of only one insurrection per turn per minor -- it's just a little tricky to figure out which diplomat to allow to have that chance. I suppose we could search all the diplomats in the region and only allow the one with the best stats to have a roll. Remember there is a penalty of -50 attitude with every minor power in the game for a failed insurrection attempt. We've been talking about adding a glory penalty on top of this, and possibly of giving the attempt itself a monetary cost, or perhaps a chance of one. I think there's enough precedent in the period to justify diplomatically-motivated insurrections, though they shouldn't be as common as some people are describing on this thread -- I'd originally had in mind maybe 3 or 4 successful insurrections per game." End quote.

All in all this feature that works ok'ish in single player mode is overpowered in a multiplayer environment and therefore potentially a gamebreaker.

My suggestion is that we go with the house rule for now, but I have faith in that WCS will address this exploit and once WCS fixes the exploit we return to normal rules and the use of diplomats as the game allows?

Sincerely Chindits

Mus -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/24/2009 4:49:59 AM)

We are waiting on a resend of French turn 12 with the .rep file properly attacked before Spain can play and merge right?

and2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/24/2009 7:38:47 AM)

Turn 13 posted

Kingmaker -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/24/2009 9:00:46 AM)

HiHi

Grief! The last thing I wanted was a protracted debate, lets get the game rolling [:D]
As I said, Fraid I'm the odd one out, but obviously I will go along with the majority decision.

Hey all

I read your post, Peter, making the case against house rules, and although I generally agree that house rules is something to be avoided and only taken into use as a last measure to preserve game balance, I will in the following make the case why we do need a house rule against insurrections in another major powers territory, until WCS makes a patch.

Its too easy to succeed an insurrection mission. To be honest (given I may not have been paying proper attention [8|] ) in all the games I have played in ‘Insurrections’ rarely seem to succeed. As I have suggested elsewhere ‘Another PBEM’ is a pre patch game Patched up and continued, it, “may?”, therefore have scrambled codes and as such not be the best game to base Post patch games on.

The penalty for an unsuccessful insurrection mission is near non-existent. Minus 50 influence, any decent diplomat can charm that away in a month. Agreed the penalty is too low, wouldn’t mind some of these super Diplos who get 50+ ‘Charm’ every turn though [:)]

Only counter-measure is other diplomats. Garrisons, National Morale, Glory, Buildings (Art and Courts for example) has no preventive effect. OK, but that effects everybody

Success on the insurrection mission isn't influenced by anything but the "roll" of dice against the diplomat's statistics, the target nation's national morale, glory, empire status, buildings, potential garrisons, or even armies. The story about the 400.000 troops being kicked out of Bavaria, by 7.000 insurrectionists springs to my mind as an extreme example of how this game feature can spin out of control in a multiplayer environment. Not sure about all the details here so apart from the ‘Another PBEM’ patch thing I can’t really comment other than to suggest it may be on a par with the 38,000 strong English army being captured in Gibraltar by a Spanish army of c70,000, ie a random role as was suggested by Matto.

Moreover Pandora's box is now open. Now we all know, and would be fool's not too exploit this, supposing we play the game to win, besides the other aspects of diplomacy and logistics to mention some other great reasons to play PBEM.

WCS acknowledges that there is a problem and talk about "I like the idea of only one insurrection per turn per minor -- it's just a little tricky to figure out which diplomat to allow to have that chance. I suppose we could search all the diplomats in the region and only allow the one with the best stats to have a roll. Remember there is a penalty of -50 attitude with every minor power in the game for a failed insurrection attempt. We've been talking about adding a glory penalty on top of this, and possibly of giving the attempt itself a monetary cost, or perhaps a chance of one. I think there's enough precedent in the period to justify diplomatically-motivated insurrections, though they shouldn't be as common as some people are describing on this thread -- I'd originally had in mind maybe 3 or 4 successful insurrections per game." End quote. Hellfire this Insurrection stuff is just 1 of many problems with PBEM. As I see it CoG is basically designed for Solo play, the PBEM side is an add on and many of the features that work OK in solo simply do not cross over to PBEM. Again as I’ve suggested elsewhere these games we are engaged in are 1st generation “Real play” games, WCS simply do not have the resources or Beta testers in sufficient numbers to test PBEM in depth, therefore to a certain extent we can maybe be seen to be doing that, the Devs can keep an eye on these MBs and correct serious anomalies in future patches.

All in all this feature that works ok'ish in single player mode is overpowered in a multiplayer environment and therefore potentially a gamebreaker. Again, is it? I may be very wrong here (it has been known [:-] ) but we seem to be basing an awful lot around a possibly faulty platform i.e. ‘’Another PBEM’, dunno

My suggestion is that we go with the house rule for now, “If?” there is any validity in my suggestions about ‘Another PBEM then I would suggest that "may" be counter-productive but I have faith in that WCS will address this exploit and once WCS fixes the exploit we return to normal rules and the use of diplomats as the game allows? OK. But one way or another let’s get the game on the road. [:)]

All the Best
Peter

barbarossa2 -> RE: 1792 No frills PBEM (7/24/2009 11:32:23 PM)

France is disappointed in the attempted acquisition of Denmark by our good neighbours in Britain. Denying Sweden these lands is not allowing them a full voice in European affairs, and France feels strongly that the move on Denmark by British troops should be reconsidered. King Louis XVI would have been totally fine with the British acquisition of the United Provinces (including their fleet) had Sweden received Denmark (including its fleet) as we have nothing against British security. Indeed, we support it and will work to forbid any invasion attempts of the inalieable lands of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Additionally, if anyone should declare total war on Britain, France will declare war on the aggressor in our effort to maintain a stable Europe.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI