Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

pvthudson01 -> Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 5:31:06 PM)

Looking at Horse and Musket I think that it would be cool if there was a game like that but for the time period of say something that Empire Total War covers.

I dont like John Tiller games, and I am not sure that other games listed on the Matrix Site in that category fit what appeals to me about this awesome AAR:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2142817

Crown of Glory looks way way too complicated, and Europa Universalis seems TOO Abstract.

Birth of America 2 maybe? Not sure but I really like what I see with Horse and Musket re-release. I wanted a newer game however. What do you all think?

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 6:49:20 PM)

I was going to Suggest John Tiller's Napoleonics trilogy from Matrix Games, but since you don't like his style, your best bet is probably going to be Commander: Napoleon at War. Not nearly as complicated as Crown of Glory. That being said, it's not a tactical game, its more grand strategy/operational. 

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 7:25:59 PM)

Thanks much. I was looking at that but it seemed very introductory. I still may give it a go. I really wish Horse and Musket would expand!

dooya -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 7:38:42 PM)

Did you already check out AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaigns?

V22 Osprey -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 8:09:44 PM)

Wow thats the first person i've seen who doesnt like John Tiller games.You dont want Horse and Musket, you dont want Crown of Glory, I dont what I can tell you.

Here is some other games:

Commander:Napoleon at War - http://www.matrixgames.com/products/362/details/Commander.-.Napoleon.at.War

Napoleon in Italy - http://www.matrixgames.com/products/348/details/Napoleon.in.Italy

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 8:10:27 PM)

Oh my...I did not even know about that. Wow just looking at the site it looks nice, will have to dig in further. I was really impressed with BOA2. Any thoughts on their Napoleon game ?

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 8:12:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Wow thats the first person i've seen who doesnt like John Tiller games.You dont want Horse and Musket, you dont want Crown of Glory, I dont what I can tell you.

I liked the Campaign series, does that count ? (west, east front, rising sun)

Currently looking at the AGEOD title.

Its not that I dont want Horse and Musket, I just wanted a Napoleon time era game LIKE that, with a slew of units and a miniature wargame feel to it. I wouldnt mind crown of glory if I could get some definitive impressions of difficulty or how hard the turn based combat was. I keep hearing bad impressions of it (however most from the original CoG) and I am not big on micro managing diplomacy and economics. I mean I like it but on more simplified level. BOA2 did it jsut right and so did Gary Grigsby stuff

andym -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 8:31:39 PM)

What about "Imperial Glory"?

Hartford688 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 8:35:40 PM)

If you are willing to wait (and wait..and wait...) then Battlefront's Histwar might do the trick.

But that could be a while yet...

benpark -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 9:32:21 PM)

I had always hoped that the "Tin Soldiers" series would move on to the Napoleonic era, but it wasn't to be.

This game is ancients, but there's hope about the possibility of Napoleonics somewhere down the road:

http://www.slitherine.com/games/fog_pc

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 9:36:40 PM)

Was thinking closer to AGEOD game now or maybe Advanced Tactics if it had a Napoleon Mod?

Tough call on this one. John Tiller may be the only option in the long run.

Never played Imperial Glory I have to admit.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 9:59:57 PM)

The tactical battles in Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition are a lot of fun, but you do have to learn and play the strategic game to get to those. With the new release and the simpler economy, it's really not that hard a game IMHO.

jackx -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/29/2009 10:10:18 PM)

Imperial Glory probably isn't what you're looking for - a TW style game, but quite shallow and "mainstream" (fancy graphics for its time, little depth), particularly with regard to the tactical battles. If you want something in that style, I'd recommend NTW (a bit dated, but does have SP campaigns) and NTW2 (MP only, no campaigns only battles). The developers of those mods are now working on NTW3, based on Empire:TW, not sure how that's coming along.

For good (pausable!) real-time battles (and with somewhat of a miniatures flair to them), you could have a look Breakaway games' Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest victory. Plenty of mods covering other battles for those, too.

There's nothing turn-based that I know of, though one could probably port the sprites from those games to HnM. The game itself would probably need some modding too (assault columns, movement point conversion for units that can form line and skirmish formation etc.), but for a start, you could probably get away without those.

Edit: I need to stop thinking about that, mod development is a time-sink that I cannot afford atm. :/

Hentzau -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/30/2009 4:29:20 AM)

You might try this one http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/ won't cost you anything.

IronWarrior -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/30/2009 6:05:03 AM)

I'm in the same boat as you are pvthudson. For me, my dream game would combine the miniatures rules of Carnage & Glory 2 with the C&C elements of From Valmy to Waterloo, ported to a PC game. [;)]

Like you I was disappointed with the Tillers games. Horse & Musket is promising, hopefully it will get some good support and improvements- I too am interested to see what they could do with a Napoleonic version.

COG:EE and AGEOD's NCP are both great games IMO, but are more operational or strategical rather than tactical (although you can play tactical battles in COG:EE singleplayer- but at division or brigade level and not battalion). Sounds like you are looking for a battalion level tactical game like I am though. I never found COG:EE to be too complicated, but apparently some do.

BTW avoid Imperial Glory like the plague. [:D]

killroyishere -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 12:26:40 AM)

quote:

BTW avoid Imperial Glory like the plague. [:D]

What are you talking about? Imperial Glory is a good game it may not be historically accurate for some grog, but, for gameplay fun and enjoyment and challenge it's much better than that total war garbage.

IronWarrior -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 2:58:48 AM)

Heh I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with a game like I was with Imperial Glory. I guess if you don't mind units fighting 'til the last man, an incredibly unrealistic strategic situation, generic units, an idiotic AI, a multitude of online issues causing a ghost lobby for the game, unresolved issues, balance like militia being 2 or 3 times stronger than regular line infantry, and no support due to the company shutting down (although there wasn't any before they did either lol)... this game might be for you. [:D]

Hell, even TW has morale/routing, although I can't stand that series either. I doubt the OP would like it if he's looking for something more realistic that brings back that "miniatures gaming" feel.

V22 Osprey -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 3:28:27 AM)

I dont know though, because the John Tiller bundles provide the most miniature gaming feel because the 3D with unit bases on actually look like miniatures, there are no other games that I know besides Horse and Musket that actually look like miniatures.

Walloc -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 4:03:28 AM)

If u looking for the tactical stuff Nappy age u might wana check up on this comming title.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=124&Itemid=174
Les Grognard:Histwar

Disclaimer: my opinion. I've loved AGEODs other games. NCP not so much.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 5:50:55 PM)

Oiy, I forgot about Les Grognards! I can't wait for that one to be released. 

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 9:48:10 PM)

All very good answers.

I think you guys understood what I was aiming for.

Now I hate to bring this up, but you know how Cossacks 2: Napoleon LOOKED? Something like that. Not an RTS though, but something that nice but taking a while for each battle. You know like: each turn is one hour LOL. Cossacks 2 could have been so close if not for that RTS base building and resource gathering stuff.

Crown of Glory looks cool but I just think I would be too dumb to get it. Now, I actually played Korsun Pocket and even made a reference card for it that is linked on this site somewhere I think, do you all think COG:EE is harder than KP or any thing like Battlefront?

I get WW2 games a lot easier because usually they do not involved farming, politics and running a country.

doomtrader -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 9:52:29 PM)

A little bit off-topic but in my memory always the best game will be Fields of Glory (played on Amiga)

V22 Osprey -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (7/31/2009 11:41:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

All very good answers.

I think you guys understood what I was aiming for.

Now I hate to bring this up, but you know how Cossacks 2: Napoleon LOOKED? Something like that. Not an RTS though, but something that nice but taking a while for each battle. You know like: each turn is one hour LOL. Cossacks 2 could have been so close if not for that RTS base building and resource gathering stuff.

Crown of Glory looks cool but I just think I would be too dumb to get it. Now, I actually played Korsun Pocket and even made a reference card for it that is linked on this site somewhere I think, do you all think COG:EE is harder than KP or any thing like Battlefront?

I get WW2 games a lot easier because usually they do not involved farming, politics and running a country.

I actually liked cossacks 2, you are right I hated the base building, and I just played the campaign/single battles with no base building in it.

CoG:EE, I wouldn't recommend for you.BUt you may have a shot with simple economy.I understand you though, I like being on front commanding troops in battle, not running a country.

Jonathan Pollard -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/6/2009 1:11:15 AM)

Anybody ever try Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle by BreakAway Games? It's supposed to use the same engine as Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Antietam games.

http://www.breakawayltd.com/entertainment/games/

jackx -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/6/2009 2:01:01 AM)

Aye, I recommended those earlier.  Good adaptions of a very good basic engine to the Napoleonic period, and just as with Gettysburg, plenty of community-made add-ons that'll extend their lifespan, and/or let you get away from the done-to-death battles like Waterloo.

I still wish someone re-did the Solferino mod for Gettysburg for one of those games, with proper cavalry charges and assault columns etc...

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/6/2009 3:40:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Pollard

Anybody ever try Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle by BreakAway Games? It's supposed to use the same engine as Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Antietam games.

http://www.breakawayltd.com/entertainment/games/

The best is Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory.

Played against a human opponent, it's more fun that than the law should allow.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

pvthudson01 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/6/2009 3:57:36 PM)

Sweet was just looking at those Breakaway Games titles. Now to dig them up somewhere cheap like EBAY since my wallet is a little tight.

I have been sinking time into AGEOD NCP and Crown of Glory but still want something single battle minded with a nice visual flair.

I may actually have to look into a Tiller Bundle to be honest since I really want depth as well. I do like the battles in COG:EE so far but I just want to focus on scenarios and not so much running a country

man 2001? Holy cow. I had no idea that Waterloo was already that old.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/waterloonapoleonslastbattle/images/0/1/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

I may have to think about reloading Cossacks 2 as well. So little time, so many games

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/6/2009 9:25:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

Sweet was just looking at those Breakaway Games titles. Now to dig them up somewhere cheap like EBAY since my wallet is a little tight.

Good luck with that; ANGV can be hard to find.

quote:

man 2001? Holy cow. I had no idea that Waterloo was already that old.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with WNLB if I were you. There was a lot of work put into fine-tuning ANGV to make it as representative of the era as possible. There are also a lot of mods for it, including, I believe, one for Waterloo.

redcoat -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/8/2009 4:03:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc
If u looking for the tactical stuff Nappy age u might wana check up on this comming title.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=124&Itemid=174
Les Grognard:Histwar

Someone has posted an enthusiastic preview of Les Grognards on another forum (Link).

Hartford688 -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (8/16/2009 11:13:45 AM)

Hard to believe, but Histwar does appear to be actually finally being released...for sale end September. Announced yesterday.

At this rate, even Battlefields! might get released...[X(]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI