RE: What was the first wargames you played? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Alan Sharif -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/3/2010 10:29:26 PM)

Board Game Sinai by SPI when it was a new release mid-late 70's.  PC Atomic Games Arnham game ( title escapes me)

Chris Bisson -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/3/2010 10:42:21 PM)

Yes Wodin we do all still want to play with our plastic sodiers to this day....well for me they are now lead/pewter miniatures...fancy name for toy soldiers I know [;)] Some things never change and it drive my fiancee nuts too [:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Like I said in another thread..we still want to play with our plastic soldiers and army at break time in school....I was always the Germans;)

Arnir -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/3/2010 10:47:50 PM)

Mine was AH's Waterloo.  The first one I owned was AH's Midway.

junk2drive -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/3/2010 10:50:00 PM)

Don't marry her. You will anyway but years from now I want you to remember this post.

Find someone that shares your interests and thinks your soldiers are art and craft and keep you busy.

Chris Bisson -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/3/2010 11:00:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Don't marry her. You will anyway but years from now I want you to remember this post.

Find someone that shares your interests and thinks your soldiers are art and craft and keep you busy.

LOL [:D] It is my second one and I know what to expect.....[X(][8|]

Randomizer -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/4/2010 12:42:39 AM)

Either Avalon Hill's 1914 or Jutland, bought new in 1968, can't recall exactly which was first.  Still have both games although Jutland is long since boxless.

junk2drive -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/4/2010 5:13:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon Crusher

quote:

LOL [:D] It is my second one and I know what to expect.....[X(][8|]

I'm still on the first at almost 38 years. I told her if Al and Tipper can quit at 40... she smacked me...

stevemk1a -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/4/2010 7:13:44 AM)

My parents gave me AH Third Reich as a Christmas present in the early 80's, after that it was Panzerblitz with the geek club in the computer lab in High school after hours. Many more after that ... I have great memories of playing North Atlantic '86 vs. my brother on an Apple II clone.

:::Flanker attacks:::
:::Flanker attacks:::

I always made him play the bad guys [:D]

ilovestrategy -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/4/2010 7:30:41 AM)

quote:

The lawn mower occasionally tossed out a dismembered casualty. Good for effect.

Oh good Lord, I laughed hard when I read this. [sm=00000289.gif]
[sm=happy0065.gif]

blastpop -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/4/2010 11:32:17 AM)

I started off with "Major Campaigns and Battles of General George S. Patton", by RGI in 1973 and quickly followed up with Luftwaffe by Avalon Hill.

Man does time fly...

lordhoff -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/5/2010 5:59:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Either Avalon Hill's 1914 or Jutland, bought new in 1968, can't recall exactly which was first.  Still have both games although Jutland is long since boxless.

Q about 1914 - what did you think of it? I liked the step method of losses and it did an excellent job of mimicking the WW I style combat but units couldn't even travel the distance the IGA did in Belgium without defenders. I also liked how they handles forts. I'd like to see a PC game like that - maybe there is one already - haven't bought WW I gold yet - but I suspect its more strategic nature won't allow for such details.

baltjes -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/5/2010 8:19:14 AM)

The first board game ever I played was AH's Panzer Leader. I got triggered by reading a 'table top teaser' - a kind of AAR - in the magazine 'Militairy Modelling'. It must have been in the mid seventies of the former century (Yeh....time is flying!!). Many, very many board games followed, ranging from 'Squad Leader' to 'Campaigns for North Afrika'. About 15 years ago, I sold them all, exept 'Cobra' and 'Battles for the Ardennes'. The first computer game, I can't remember exactly; it was some ACW game that could be played on my first computer, a Sinclair Spectrum.

It all started with those nice Airfix models in the late fifties and sixties. Planes and tanks that should be glued together, eventually painted but of all: played with! In the garden behind our house, we had our battle field. From my room upstairs I had made a 'cable' along which the planes could be 'flown' over our battles. To make things more realistic, some planes (the yet-fighters) got a piece of cotton in their tail so we were able to simulate a burning plane coming down. My parents were not pleased! I can now understand that; at that time I couldn't.

Man, Where have all the good times gone....!

Hajo Baltjes

Jeffrey H. -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 1:19:22 AM)

First board game was AH Panzer Leader, this was about 1974. First computer game was Computer Ambush for the Apple II+.

Wolfe1759 -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 1:31:17 AM)

Race to the Meuse in the Wargamer, then Squad Leader - still remember the red Russian beserkers counters.

Obsolete -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 1:44:25 AM)

Axis & Allies.  Not sure if that one really counts though.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 2:43:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

First board game was AH Panzer Leader, this was about 1974. First computer game was Computer Ambush for the Apple II+.

Hrrm, on second thought, the first computer game was a dedicated console which had Pong and a few other type games on it. I think it was an Atari. Then came coin op stuff, which I guess would normally be considered a computer game.

KG Erwin -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 3:00:26 AM)

The first wargame I ever owned was AH's "Stalingrad", which my parents bought for me in 1967, when I was 10. Little did they know. My mom & dad were pretty liberal way back when, so they also bought me Beatles records. They bought me an acoustic guitar when I was 10, and I was listening to "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" when I just 11. I couldn't make barre chords, so I started picking out bass notes. A few years later I got my first bass guitar, and my life was forever changed. 40 years later, gaming and music remain my primary passions.

warspite1 -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 6:48:09 AM)

The first board game with a war theme I recall playing was Colditz - loved the coloured pieces Red - British, Blue - American, Orange - Dutch, Brown - Polish, Green - French and of course those sinister black pieces representing the Germans.

I also loved playing with Airfix HO/OO scale soldiers - they did a good selection of Napoleonic figures - Coldstream Guardsmen, Highland Infantry, Hussars, Imperial Guardsmen, Curassiers etc, and a nice model of the farmhouse at Le Haye Saint to go with them.

I then moved on to the likes of Risk, Stratego and Diplomacy, before "graduating" to Avalon Hill games - Bismarck, Panzer Leader and a Napoleonic Campaign game that I cannot remember the name of. The last board game I played (and that took over my life for two years) was ADG's World In Flames. Best.Game.Ever.[&o]

Computer games began with a Spectrum computer and Desert Rats! Am filling in time at the moment with the likes of Total War and Civilization V while waiting for the big one - Matrix World In Flames.

MajFrankBurns -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 10:54:01 AM)

Green - French? The French should have been Yellow!

MikeBrough -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 11:10:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

That's a disgraceful slur on the French. The individual French soldier fought as bravely as any other but was let down by generals who were trained to fight the last war.

If you're still in doubt, do some reading about the exploits of the French Resistance.

warspite1 -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 12:18:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

Warspite1

I assume (hope) that was a joke? - hence the exclamation mark - but I think even so, the comment was misplaced.

Perturabo -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 12:43:49 PM)

An alternative-history setting where WWII would be like WWI could be pretty cool. Especially with rayguns.

redcoat -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 3:35:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotherman

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

I found this backstreet shop in Nottingham,

Which shop? There was, back in the 80's, a wargame shop in the Broadmarsh Centre.

I am certain it was Wollaton Street.

There was a small wargames shop on Wollaton Street in the Seventies. I used to pop in to browse around when I was a school kid. This annoyed the shop owner because I hardly ever bought anything.

I started wargaming back in 1976 when I was still at school. At that time, it was a case of playing Napoleonic or WW2 miniatures with Airfix ‘plastic soldiers’. I then gave up wargaming a few years later when I was distracted by other things. I took it up again when I bought my first computer in 1998. My first computer wargames were Talonsoft’s Gettysburg and Waterloo games.

Randomizer -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 4:24:07 PM)

@ Lordhoff
Didn't want to drift off topic droning on about 1914. Please check your PM.

parusski -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 5:45:10 PM)

Ah, fond memories. In spring 1982 at the tender age of 16 I discovered board gaming. It started with Fulda Gap. I fell in love with gaming so within weeks I bought Squad Leader. Then over the next year game Panzerblitz, Panzerleader then came Afrika Korps. I still play each of those early games.

GaiusMarius -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 7:40:00 PM)

Started in '83 or '84 with AH Russian Campaign+some try on AH Flat Top, bought in the till now biggest boardargames shop I have ever seen in Italy (unfortunately has closed).
The first PC game was battleground Waterloo from Empire Interactive.

Cheers

Misty99 -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/6/2010 9:49:34 PM)

No boardgames. First computer wargame: Red Lightning from SSI on an ATARI ST. First PC wargame: Fire Brigade from Panther on an INTEL 286.

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/7/2010 2:48:44 AM)

Mine was Axis and Allies followed by Panzer General. Close Combat was my first PC wargame and the rest was history....literally.

Also I played Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool.

mo reb

ilovestrategy -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/7/2010 6:32:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Mine was Axis and Allies followed by Panzer General. Close Combat was my first PC wargame and the rest was history....literally.

Also I played Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool.

mo reb

Dungeons and Dragons. Woot! I still have my 1980 manuals.

berto -> RE: What was the first wargames you played? (6/7/2010 7:55:11 AM)

Avalon Hill's Tactics II, Gettysburg, D-Day, Bismarck, etc., ~1962.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI