RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

WoodMan -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/1/2011 11:36:33 PM)

Yes I can press continue, but it took a long time and I crtl-alt-del out of it, maybe if I wait longer I could quit normally.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/1/2011 11:54:44 PM)

I wait for a few seconds, but it still looks like the game's loading, however I can still cancel. If you hover the cursor over the cancel button, does it illuminate slightly?

Pulsar -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/2/2011 1:45:09 PM)

Hi Igard .Just joined the forum and yours was the first mod that caught my eye.You've done a really nice job on this [:)] . The only problem i had was when trying to switch back to my default theme and reading through these posts i noticed others were having the same problem.

This was kind of bugging me so allthough i dont know alot about modding this game i thought i would have a play and see if i could find the problem. So i backed everything up first and my first thought was to check the ship images folder you had mentioned in posts on here.I noticed there were folders in there named family 0 to 11. Then i checked the c:\matrixgames\distantworlds\images\units\ships folder and that had folders family 0-10 plus an other folder. So what i did was copy the family 11 folder out of your mod to c:\matrixgames\distantworlds\images\units\ships and copy the other folder from c:\matrixgames\distantworlds\images\units\ships to your mods ship images folder,effectively making identical named folders in both.

Then i fired up the game .Now i can switch between both the default and your mod with no crashes [8D]. I dont know if you had allready figured this one out but i thought it would be worth posting .Oh and hope it was ok to change your mod in this way.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/2/2011 2:02:04 PM)

Hi Pulsar welcome to the forums. [:)]

Thank you for reporting the problem. You can certainly remove the family11 folder and that should fix the problem. The family11 folder is only used for extra ship variant images so it won't effect the mod unless you want to start making new designs with new images. However there's no need to replace the folder with the 'other' folder from the root directory as the game won't recognise it in the customisation folder.

I'm sure this problem will be fixed when Elliot returns, I'll make a post in the tech support forum. If any of the beta testers think it's worth PM'ing Elliot then that would be great as I know this was an issue that was supposed to have been resolved post expansion. I think it's just a case of a few compatablity issues with some system configurations.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/2/2011 2:20:03 PM)

I've created a tech support thread about this. Let me know if I've missed out any info.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2674784

Pulsar -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/2/2011 2:27:55 PM)

Hi Igar based on your last post i deleted the other folder back out of your mod folder as you said this wasn't recognised ,so now the only change i have is creating a family 11 folder in c:\matrixgames\distantworlds\images\units\ships.It still switches themes 0k .so it would appear that you can't have a folder in a mod that isn't in the installation folder eg family 11. Therefore you can either create that folder in the installation folder aswell with proper images as i did or as you said delete it from the mod. Hopefully there is a way round it [&:]
but it works ok for me at the moment.

James009 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/8/2011 7:15:57 AM)

Excellent work, loving the mod. I really appreciate all the ship art you are providing :)

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/8/2011 9:13:26 AM)

Hey guys, it seems to me the best rule for using this mod and switching to other mods with it is as follows:-

If you don't really want the extra ship variant images, then remove the family11 folder in the shipImages folder. It will allow you to change theme to other mods no bother.

If you really want to use the extra ship images, then obey the following rules:-

1. When changing FROM the Star Trek theme, always switch directly to the Default theme. This way when you reload the game it should load the default theme from which you can then switch to any theme you like.

2. When you get the exception error (this should only be when switching to the default theme if you obey rule 1) try to select continue, then simply cancel your way out and exit the game normally.

3. If you can't continue at the exception error, select quit and the game will crash to desktop. If the game will not load after this, then copy all your mods from the customisation folder and put them somewhere safe (like the desktop) and then reload the game. You can then exit the game and copy back all your mods, but I would recommend not using any mods with more than the default 11 shipsets. You can of course remove the twelfth shipset (family11) from this mod if you like.

Sorry again for any inconvenience. Hopefully this'll get fixed soon. [:)]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/8/2011 9:16:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James009

Excellent work, loving the mod. I really appreciate all the ship art you are providing :)

Thanks James. [:)]

Of course I don't do the art for these ships. They were created by various modelers and artists for the Starfleet Command series games over the last decade or so. I only do some tweaking and recolouring here and there. And of course put it all together for DW. [;)]

Liking the Avatar. Is that from ST:Online? I've just started playing it, it's a really nice game, if a little bit un-canon for my liking. Then again a few of my mods are far from canon anyway so look who's talking. [:D]

Nightchill -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/9/2011 10:08:48 AM)

I will try this once I have finished my current game.

Do you have an updated recommended setup guide? (government / size / tech level)

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/9/2011 3:41:12 PM)

Hello, Nightchill. Welcome to the forums.

No problem.

Of course, I don't like telling others how to play their game so these are just guidelines to get your galaxy looking as much like the Star Trek one as possible.

Galaxy setup - relevant fields :-
Colony prevelance - normal, Independant alien life - plentiful, Expansion - Starting (to ensure all independants are minor races)
Aggression - normal/restelss (I tend to go with normal for less wars, but restless should be ok for those who like a challenge)

Races - Set up your own race according to these settings :-
I changed the Breen to a military dicatorship since there aren't enough of those around.

For the Remans you can use whatever name you like since they're a newly formed government. It's impossible to know for sure what type of government they'll have, so I went with Despotism. They could just as easily be a monarchy to depict their hierarchical structure.

The Ferengi are left as a 'random' government. This is so they default as a Mercantile Guild.

EDIT: I gave the Tholians an excellent home system as they're a non-expanding empire.

[image]local://upfiles/34469/EF3852E56482494BAF4190C951D914BE.jpg[/image]

WoodMan -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/9/2011 6:18:06 PM)

Is it not possible to choose Mercantile Guild rather than random?  Or is this the way we currently have to do this for custom races with a special government?

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/9/2011 8:44:49 PM)

You can select the special government from the players empire selection screen, but not from the other empire's selection screen. Choosing random will select the default for that race, which in the case of the Ferengi, is Mercantile G.

Probably something that needs fixed, but it's pretty minor IMO. [:)]

WoodMan -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/9/2011 8:46:31 PM)

Okay thanks Igard. [;)]

Nightchill -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/10/2011 4:49:19 AM)

Thanks Igard - this will be very helpful

James009 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/11/2011 12:14:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Thanks James. [:)]

Of course I don't do the art for these ships. They were created by various modelers and artists for the Starfleet Command series games over the last decade or so. I only do some tweaking and recolouring here and there. And of course put it all together for DW. [;)]

Liking the Avatar. Is that from ST:Online? I've just started playing it, it's a really nice game, if a little bit un-canon for my liking. Then again a few of my mods are far from canon anyway so look who's talking. [:D]

Yeah, the avatar is from ST:Online which I believe has some very decent art. It is a little un-canon for me too but I do try to enjoy it.

Anyways, I appreciate that the Starfleet Command people have been making these ships for us. I've never really gotten to enjoy that game before... maybe I'll check it out again sometime.

Also, thanks for posting that Galaxy Setting screenshot, I think it's helpful and I'll probably try using it in the future.

Lastly, one quick question, which lasers are "supposed" to corrispond to Phasers, Disruptors, and such? I'm just curious.

EDIT: The Basic Laser appears to be Phasers and Shatterforce Lasters (Long Range) appear to be Disruptors.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/11/2011 3:20:27 AM)

quote:

Lastly, one quick question, which lasers are "supposed" to corrispond to Phasers, Disruptors, and such? I'm just curious.

EDIT: The Basic Laser appears to be Phasers and Shatterforce Lasters (Long Range) appear to be Disruptors.

It's really hard to say. The Shatterforce lasers are the correct colour, but then, the Klingon design scheme will make them favour the more powerful shorter range purple one (the name escapes me).

The titan beam is a pretty good colour too. It reminds me of TOS phasers.

Perhaps for my weapons mod, I should change the colour of the Maxos Blaster to blue, so that it's more like TOS phaser effect. The Shatterforce can stay the same, the purple one can get changed to some sort of pulse cannon and the Titan beam can be a powerful phaser (red).

That all seems a little bit pointless at the moment though. Let's wait and see what new mod support Elliot comes up with next. [;)]

ehsumrell1 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/11/2011 4:28:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

quote:

It's really hard to say. The Shatterforce lasers are the correct colour, but then, the Klingon design scheme will make them favour the more powerful shorter range purple one (the name escapes me).

The titan beam is a pretty good colour too. It reminds me of TOS phasers.

Perhaps for my weapons mod, I should change the colour of the Maxos Blaster to blue, so that it's more like TOS phaser effect. The Shatterforce can stay the same, the purple one can get changed to some sort of pulse cannon and the Titan beam can be a powerful phaser (red).

That all seems a little bit pointless at the moment though. Let's wait and see what new mod support Elliot comes up with next. [;)]

I agree Igard. Remember that there "might" be tech tree modding very soon, in which you
should be able to create/name/re-name weapons and their stats in the tech tree. [8|]

NefariousKoel -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/11/2011 1:02:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Cool, I need to see more Star Trek, I've seen more Janeway they anything else, but I like all the series.

They're some kind of crystalline-rock lifeform that lives under high heat, as Igard mentioned.

I recall their unusual race weapon/equipment in SFB was the "Tholian web". Kinda like the ships spinning tractor beam-based spider webs to ensnare enemies. Cool stuff!

I love what Igard did with them. Thanks for adding them Igard! [8D]

Edit: If any of you wanna friend list me on STO, my handle is @NefariousCoal. Maybe we can get some fleet actions going sometime. [:)]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.4a (1/11/2011 1:57:15 PM)

NK, that's exactly what they're like! Chrystalline. I'd love to see a tholian web type weapon in DW.

I haven't looked into STO fleets yet, but I'd like to sometime soon.  I did go on a fleet mission even though I'm not part of a fleet. [&:] It was pretty awesome!  I'm just enjoying the solo play for now though, I'm not really an MMO person, but I'd like to get into it. I'll friend list you later today after work. [:)]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/12/2011 12:44:22 AM)

Guys, I just realised when I went to set up a new game that the Other Empires settings I posted above has some mistakes on the last 4 lines.

I've updated the image, sorry about the screw up. Some of you might be playing galaxies now with very large Tamarian empires, this wasn't intended, they're a small but technologically strong empire. The others were slightly wrong too, but the government types were correct.

Here's the updated list again. [;)]

[image]local://upfiles/34469/EF3852E56482494BAF4190C951D914BE.jpg[/image]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/12/2011 1:45:12 AM)

Another good tip for creating a Star Trek galaxy is to set your empire's policies according to what race you're playing. For example, Klingons wouldn't build a robotic troop factory as would many other races. We know also for example that the Federation doesn't use robotic troops either. They would also never condone the use of genetics to create troops. Here's the Fed's policy on planetary facilities.

[image]local://upfiles/34469/83012733AE614A5985EDC3A79BEB3FA7.jpg[/image]

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/12/2011 4:58:49 AM)

Do you really play that many starting empires at once? [sm=character0272.gif]
That is impressive...

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod vEXCELLENT (1/12/2011 5:53:43 AM)

He he.. No, but it looks like that doesn't it? I just copied as many lines from the screen as possible then joined them together with GIMP. I can still only play against 19 other empires. Which is usually more than enough! [:D]

HectorOfTroy -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/2/2011 12:05:51 PM)

Silly question, do I just download star trek v1.5zip file?

Or to play it I have to download v1.5, file, music file, st weapons replacement effects?

Pulsar -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/2/2011 1:09:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Silly question, do I just download star trek v1.5zip file?

Or to play it I have to download v1.5, file, music file, st weapons replacement effects?

you can just download the file others are optional but personally i would download them all it gives better feel to the game

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/2/2011 3:39:12 PM)

after that, you'll want even more than these files [:)]

gunnergoz -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/6/2011 12:31:52 AM)

Nice Mod! Was having fun until I selected the fleets menu on the left side of the screen and got an error message that required me to use task manager to kill the DW app. I was playing ver 1.5 with the latest patch available on the Matrix site...1.5 I think. The error message said something about list out of range IIRC. Hope this helps.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/6/2011 5:20:48 AM)

Glad you're enjoying the mod, gunnergoz. I know there was a crash problem when using the empire navigation with 1.5 (RotS) when viewing the enemy targets list I believe. That could have been it. If that's the case then the bug was fixed in the most recent beta patch so it'll be in the next official patch for sure.

Try recreating the crash if possible. If it happens again, get a screenshot of it.

Also what race were you playing at the time? I tend to think this isn't  a mod related bug, but you never really know until you've seen the bug for yourself. I'll try to recreate it myself tomorrow.[:)]

gunnergoz -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (2/7/2011 12:48:35 AM)

I was playing Federation without the Shakturi, etc checked. For now I've deleted the mod since it kept crashing the vanilla game until I cleaned up the opponents list in the starting screens...it was giving me error messages about a list problem. I snagged a jpg of the error message and could provide it if necessary. I'll wait until the next patch if need be.

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI