RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

Dunkelseele -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/1/2011 7:58:14 AM)

It certainly has it's Trek-moments apart from battling Borg, Gorn, Klingons and Orion-pirates. Some other things are of course very non-canonish, but if you are open-minded it will not bother you too much.

Killer-fact: There are tribbles! [:D]

I also wondered if you could get some good shots of ships or stations out of the game to use in DW.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/1/2011 1:37:22 PM)

I thought about taking screenshots of ships a while ago, but it's hard getting the correct lighting, so haven't tried it yet. Also, some of the ships are woefully inaccurate (like the defiant). Most of them are beautiful though.

I personally don't really like the MMO aspects of the game. Trek was never about the 'fleet', it was always about individuals. Only on a rare occason did we see Kirk or Picard team up with other captains to do a mission.

One thing I'd say to anyone interested in playing STO for the first time, give it a chance and bare in mind that they made a mess of the game when it was released (too early). They're now working through many of the missions and 'remastering' them so they're more fun.

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/1/2011 1:50:24 PM)

quote:

bare in mind that they made a mess of the game when it was released (too early). They're now working through many of the missions and 'remastering' them so they're more fun

cool, that was exactly my situation. So a game that starts poorly can become a gem, that's something to note for whoever considers DW a bad game...which is not even now....and I'm totally objective [:D]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/1/2011 7:56:30 PM)

Reading through this forum, there are very few players who complain about Distant Worlds when compared to the STO forums. They made a real mess of it early on and are still fixing the mistakes.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/1/2011 10:31:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Just talking Star Trek : Online. The Jupiter uniforms are a new range of uniforms to replace the shoddy, boring uniforms they designed for the games release.
You guys should check it out. If you're a Trek fan, then you'll like the game. And they're gonna improve ground combat! An MMO with FPS style combat! I can't wait for it.

Thank you. I am sorry that I am out of the loop on these things.

And to Mr. Data: they have yet to make the Phaser that is bigger than the light saber... [:D]
The ability to destroy a planet, is insignificant, next to the power of the Force. (I think you may have heard that before).
I am just saying...
[sm=sterb029.gif]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 1:19:47 AM)

No need to apologize, tj. You're a wargamer and that's far cooler than just playing MMOs all the time.[:)]

ehsumrell1 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 2:45:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

And to Mr. Data: they have yet to make the Phaser that is bigger than the light saber... [:D]
The ability to destroy a planet, is insignificant, next to the power of the Force. (I think you may have heard that before).
I am just saying...
[sm=sterb029.gif]

Was that a 'Force Choke' you just sent at Data TJ? [:-] LOL!

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 7:24:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
Was that a 'Force Choke' you just sent at Data TJ? [:-] LOL!

I found his lack of faith disturbing...
But I will release him, as you wish.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 7:28:36 AM)

IGard: is the Spitfire one of the AMT kits, I could not find a picture...

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 8:07:40 AM)

pfeww, that was a strong force trick....luckily i don't have a wind pipe [:D]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/2/2011 11:52:23 AM)

quote:

IGard: is the Spitfire one of the AMT kits, I could not find a picture...

It's just the AMT Defiant that I made some custom decals for. The USS Spitfire appeared in the game Star Trek: Armada, and I always liked that name for a Defiant class ship.

The AMT kit is really horrible to build. It's got huge seam gaps and they failed to include the upper pulse cannons. So it was a alot of work. Not a good choice for ones first attempt at scale model building.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/3/2011 2:00:25 AM)

IGard, many model kits are like that. I have built many models in my day.
If you run into gaps, if you have wood working clamps around, you can use those to push the seams together with the aid of modelling glue -- you leave the claps on them for 24 hours. That works pretty good. I use paper towels between the metal clamp and the plastic to keep the clamp from hurting the styrene plastic.

I had to do that to a minesweeper, and to the saucer section to the Enterprise D.

Hope that helps.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/3/2011 2:06:27 AM)

As far as Romulan models... not hope for them... :) :) :)

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/3/2011 9:49:58 AM)

quote:

As far as Romulan models... no hope for them... :) :) :)

LOL, good one

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/3/2011 12:59:24 PM)

I was able to use spring clamps along with polystyrene cement to fix some of the gaps in much the same way you described, tj. However some of these  gap seams were about 2mm wide!! So that required some putty to fill. The putty I used wasn't very fine though. I've since bought some magic sculp, which is suppposed to be much finer for a smoother finish.

It should be perfect for building this kit I've got waiting in my cupboard :- http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/jk_ddrex.htm

Sorry to say though, guys, this stuff has me way too addicted to get anything done on these mods.[:(]

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/3/2011 4:07:20 PM)

don't worry, if this stuff inspires modding instincts in the rest of us than it's well worth the effort for all

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 6:56:49 AM)

One of the neatest models I have ever seen put together across ANY kind of styrene kit was someone who did a 'kit bash' and created NCC-1017 Constellation, totally shot up like you would expect.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 1:07:19 PM)

This guy does lots of great kitbashes :- http://www.youtube.com/user/Quaralane#p/u

Just finished my second model, a little Klingon Bird of Prey.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 3:47:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

This guy does lots of great kitbashes :- http://www.youtube.com/user/Quaralane#p/u

Just finished my second model, a little Klingon Bird of Prey.

So THAT'S why certain Bird of Prey ships can cloak! [:-]

Damn Romulan influence! [:)]

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 4:00:11 PM)

Nice job on the Klingon Bird of Prey!

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 4:10:27 PM)

I'm just learning the terminology; kitbashing? who's the basher? [:)]

"For professional modelmakers, kitbashing is popular to create concept models for detailing movie special effects. " kinda reminds me how the Picard command chair was brought to life [:D]

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/4/2011 8:26:44 PM)

I'm new at this too, Data. Kitbashing, as I understand it, is taking a model kit and putting different parts on it to produce a completely new design.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

@tj, Thankyou.[:)]

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/5/2011 5:49:22 AM)

You are essentially right IGard: but it is not just one kit, it can be several.

There was someone at this website who crossed an Imperial Walker with a Pzkwn Mark IV turret... that would also be an example of a kit bash.
If I remember correctly, the USS Reliant, NCC1864 was a kitbash of some kind... I think they added some things, but it came from an Enterprise model and a couple of other things.

Data -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/5/2011 7:10:23 AM)

That quote I gave was from wikipedia's section on this. Sounds like a cool hobby, room for imagination and experimentation.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/5/2011 1:04:53 PM)

Data, Igard:
Google "kit bash" "Star Trek"... as a brother who does not want you to get into trouble, make sure you put it on "safe search" first [8D].
You will see some interesting creations.
It is a cool hobby... I do not have the money for a 3rd major hobby, or I would do it myself.

Hanny -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/5/2011 9:22:31 PM)

If your looking for sounds/images, then i can suggest the Space Empires range of mods,(http://www.spaceempires.net/forums.html) the Star Trek and B5 mods in particular.

tjhkkr -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/5/2011 9:56:57 PM)

Thank you! [8D]

Hanny -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/7/2011 8:34:30 AM)

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Stars_and_stellar_bodies

Igard, dds 60-70 star systems names to your current star trek file.

Igard -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/7/2011 1:02:58 PM)

Thanks, Hanny.

Vorian26 -> RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.5 (7/31/2011 2:03:47 AM)

Does this require the Expansion pack to play? I've tried to get it to work and i keep getting the same exception message about an error on line 43 of the races.txt. I've even tried using your other mod for the archer era mod and i get another races.txt error message. I've even tried a fresh install and download, removed the family11 folder and nothing has worked. any help would be great. thanks

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI