RE: A few newbie questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (9/29/2010 4:43:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

I have now 2 huge convois for Perth (guess over 100000 fuel) is there danger of spoilage in Perth? Also send some of the AKs from Perth to Capetown, if they really should draw the fuel toPerth. But as you explained already the rail line isnīt the biggest one in reality, so probably is this transport problem in the game realistic.

I can help with this one: no danger of spoilage so long as the airfield + port sizes are greater than 10.

Misconduct -> RE: A few newbie questions (9/29/2010 8:15:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

quote:

Very much so. You haven't played to the end yet, but by 1944 logistics will be 70+% of your job, not fighting. I don't know if you use Tracker, but if you do look ahead in the very bottom tab at total forces in the game for each side. You'll be managing several thousand ships.

A lot of Japanese players complain about how much work the economy is--and they're right--but the Allies have a lot more labor in total. Every base you take back has to be managed; after the first year the Japanese player's duties there get smaller and easier. And the number of LCUs, planes, and ships the Allied player gets dwarfs the total Japanese OOB. By mid-1945 you might have 300 merchants or more just sitting, waiting for someplace that needs servicing. Then, after VE Day, you have to haul all of the European theater troops and gear across 5000 miles of water. Moving a million tons of supplies will happen a couple of times a week. If 1945 is the major leagues, by comparison 1942 is single-A ball.

I am beginning to think that this "game" is so time consuming even now (I am now at the 1st of May 42) but if this is true what you write I probably cannot play this one very far.

Are there any more tipps (or a forum link) for logistics also in later stages ? I know the auto convoi system and CS, but there should be some more, or ?

Anyway, I just assembled most of my US fleet to make a stand finally in the Fiji/NG area. Maybe it will be a disaster all carriers sunk, then problem solved - guess I am not hard enough to see the rest of my fleet go down and the Japs conquer AU + India. However this also might be fun, maybe in a 2nd live I can restart the game with better experience as Allies. And in the 3rd live I can play the Japs [X(]

I have now 2 huge convois for Perth (guess over 100000 fuel) is there danger of spoilage in Perth? Also send some of the AKs from Perth to Capetown, if they really should draw the fuel toPerth. But as you explained already the rail line isnīt the biggest one in reality, so probably is this transport problem in the game realistic.

Spoilage is based on the port size, however Perth rails the excess fuel to melbourne, so you don't have spoilage there. Some places you would have Spoilage is for example islands with small port sizes, the Manual best describes the minimum size for supplies/fuel and the maximum amount you can have.

Misconduct -> RE: A few newbie questions (9/29/2010 8:23:21 PM)

Fuel Over 1000 + ((port + airfield size) * (port + airfield size) *200 suffers spoilage.

Supplies over 5000 + ((port + airfield size) * ( port + airfield size) * 3000 ) suffers spoilage.

Shark7 -> RE: A few newbie questions (9/30/2010 3:55:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Fuel Over 1000 + ((port + airfield size) * (port + airfield size) *200 suffers spoilage.

Supplies over 5000 + ((port + airfield size) * ( port + airfield size) * 3000 ) suffers spoilage.

Also while the formula is great to help determine spoilage, you will note that some bases have a fuel and supply limit. These bases will suffer penalties if the supply or fuel level exceeds this limit.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/2/2010 2:31:40 AM)

A question on moving troops around pre war--so many are restricted but are not helpful where they are. In many cases it is just about getting on a ship--the Australians and Kiwis have territory that needs to be defended, but can't go there by ship. The same problem exists in the DEI and Philippines. Do the more experienced players effect these moves by air transport, or just accept the starting positions?

bradfordkay -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/2/2010 5:23:50 AM)

I definitely use air transport for those units that are in exposed locations and can't have their HQ changed to an unrestricted one. It's not going to save the DEI, but it might give your opponent a nasty surprise... 

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/4/2010 5:02:23 AM)

Two questions regarding air units:

1. Many of my squadrons are short of aircraft. I would like to disband my restricted units (which based on my reading of the manual means they come back in 120 days) to free up their airframes for the groups in combat. However, sometimes I get a message that I will lose the pilots and planes, while sometimes I'm told they will be returned to the pool. Does anyone know what makes the difference?

2. There are a lot of impossibly small units in the game. What is an airgroup of 3 torpedo bombers going to accomplish? I guess the only thing you can do is stack a bunch of the little units together to generate some combat competence?

rockmedic109 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/4/2010 5:59:29 AM)

1.  Some of the units are slated for europe.  Those units will leave when disbanded or withdrawn.  Some of the restricted units have early withdrawal dates and are permanently restricted so that you cannot change their command.  I think that if they are too far from a command HQ then the planes are lost if the unit is withdrawn.

2.  Some of the smaller units are actually pieces of a larger unit.  Check the Unit OOB button {if there is one}.  If you get all the units together and they are of the same command HQ then a "Rebuild Unit" button will be displayed which will combine the smaller fragments into the larger parent formation. 

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/4/2010 6:51:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

1.  Some of the units are slated for europe.  Those units will leave when disbanded or withdrawn.  Some of the restricted units have early withdrawal dates and are permanently restricted so that you cannot change their command.  I think that if they are too far from a command HQ then the planes are lost if the unit is withdrawn.

2.  Some of the smaller units are actually pieces of a larger unit.  Check the Unit OOB button {if there is one}.  If you get all the units together and they are of the same command HQ then a "Rebuild Unit" button will be displayed which will combine the smaller fragments into the larger parent formation. 

Thanks, that OOB answer worked.

I'll play around some with the disbanding/withdrawal portion, but after trying a few units out that seems to have something to do with it.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/6/2010 5:15:29 AM)

Another question if anyone is around to help...

Airfield overstacking--I don't seem to be getting expected penalties. For example, Singapore is a size 6 airfield. I have an Air AQ with a command radius of 3 there, which in theory could add to the airfield size for a value of 9 which is free from stacking limits.

However, the Air HQ is of a different command, so according to the manual it should not apply. That leaves Singapore at a level 6. I have a lot more than 6 air groups there flying combat related missions, but I'm not getting any penalties. Am I missing something?

witpqs -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/6/2010 5:21:00 AM)

What HQ it reports to should not have an impact. If the manual says it should then AFAIK the manual is wrong on that point.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/6/2010 4:26:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

What HQ it reports to should not have an impact. If the manual says it should then AFAIK the manual is wrong on that point.

It does--in any event, I assume the * next to overstacked airfields is accurate, and so long as that doesn't appear I am fine?

witpqs -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/6/2010 4:30:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It does--in any event, I assume the * next to overstacked airfields is accurate, and so long as that doesn't appear I am fine?

As far as I know...

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 6:48:06 PM)

One more question....

Air transporting engineering and infantry units. How do you estimate how many aircraft you will need to transport these in a day?

(I've read that for supply the equation is "load divided by 2000").

AZKGungHo -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 7:12:50 PM)

I'm one of the guys who bought during the recent sale. And as recommended I'm playing Coral Sea.  I played it once and got a draw, in my second game now. Unless I'm totally missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to plan and launch air strikes at the enemy. In both games my carriers attacked the Japanese and I knew nothing about it till the attack was actually in progress!

It seems strange to me that in a game famous for detail and micro-management, I seem to have zero control of how, when and where I attack the enemy!  Is this true or have I, like a true green horn, completely missed something here?  This seems to be the case for surface warfare as well, I put my guys in the way of the Japanese and they did clash, I did very well, but again no real control over what happened.

I'm also wondering about battle damage reports. I assume they are often wildly inaccurate?  Because otherwise I see no way those Japanese ships could still be a float!

VSWG -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 7:17:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

Unless I'm totally missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to plan and launch air strikes at the enemy. In both games my carriers attacked the Japanese and I knew nothing about it till the attack was actually in progress!

Correct, you cannot select a target for naval attacks. However, you can select the (maximum) number of planes flying, their range, ordinance, and altitude.

VSWG -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 7:18:49 PM)

quote:

I'm also wondering about battle damage reports. I assume they are often wildly inaccurate?  Because otherwise I see no way those Japanese ships could still be a float!

Ships rarely sink during the air attack itself. That doesn't mean that ships still afloat after the attack will survive the day.

AZKGungHo -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 8:58:52 PM)

Okay - their sinking later makes sense.  Too bad there's no way to verify that. 

I can set the number of planes and the altitude at which they fly/attack, but can't tell them when or where to attack?  I like the idea of automating this, as late in the game as the US player I'm sure you need it.  But I find it very, very strange in a game with this much detail that I can't launch attacks if I want too.

Color me surprised!

VSWG -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/7/2010 9:56:23 PM)

quote:

I can set the number of planes and the altitude at which they fly/attack, but can't tell them when or where to attack?  I like the idea of automating this, as late in the game as the US player I'm sure you need it.  But I find it very, very strange in a game with this much detail that I can't launch attacks if I want too.

TFs appear and disappear between turns. Do you really want to order your planes to attack enemy TF X, only to have that TF move out of range, while enemy TF Y moved into range and is not attacked?

A lot players want a way to prioritize naval target, i.e. "attack transports, not battleships", or "attack carriers only". It has been debated to death, and it is highly unlikely that a change like this will make it into AE.

Banzan -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/8/2010 10:24:14 AM)

quote:

Okay - their sinking later makes sense.  Too bad there's no way to verify that. 

Instead you will see a lot of reports like "Previous reports of sinking of xxx incorrect. Ship sighted and engaged at xx,xx" [;)]

wdolson -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/8/2010 11:57:14 AM)

If FOW is off, the reports will be accurate.  If it's on, the ships sunk list will update over time.  The Ops report will give you most of this information.  At the beginning of a turn, I check the Ops report, then the Combat Report.

Bill

Shark7 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/8/2010 3:01:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

Ships rarely sink during the air attack itself. That doesn't mean that ships still afloat after the attack will survive the day.

You'll notice the same thing with sub attacks. AE does have a nasty habit of letting you know though...after the sub attack takes place, you will hear the 'sinking ship'sound if the ship actually sinks. It really should remain a mystery.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/8/2010 4:58:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

You'll notice the same thing with sub attacks. AE does have a nasty habit of letting you know though...after the sub attack takes place, you will hear the 'sinking ship'sound if the ship actually sinks. It really should remain a mystery.

Breaking up noises are RL. Very easy for even a rookie sonarman to hear and distinguish. This part of the game is good to go IMO.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 9:38:55 AM)

I'm trying to form an ASW fleet with some HDMLs parked in Rangoon, and I'm not getting the option of an ASW fleet. Can these ships not form ASW fleets, or am I doing something wrong?

ckammp -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 11:04:40 AM)

quote:

I'm trying to form an ASW fleet with some HDMLs parked in Rangoon, and I'm not getting the option of an ASW fleet. Can these ships not form ASW fleets, or am I doing something wrong?

You can not put HDMLs in an ASW fleet.

In the manual, appendix 20.1.2.1 (pages 280-284) lists all TFs by ship class.

Lifer -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 1:44:44 PM)

Reading the later part of the thread has me wondering...  Am I missing a lot if I'm playing with sound off.  My computer is in the same room with the TV so computer sound is off and TV sound is on.  I tend to make a few assumptions and usually err on the side of the target survived.  One torpedo probably survived, two is sunk if a noncombatant.  Bombs pretty much the same.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 4:37:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckammp

quote:

You can not put HDMLs in an ASW fleet.

In the manual, appendix 20.1.2.1 (pages 280-284) lists all TFs by ship class.

Thanks, good to know. It seems odd though that the manual says they are variations of the YP, which can form ASW fleets. I'm not sure what to do with very small craft with depth charges, but I guess I'll find something.

bradfordkay -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 4:37:32 PM)

The only important sound you are missing is the infamous "We've spotted enemy carriers" report that comes up when a carrier TF is sighted (yours or an enemy). So if you regularly check every sighting on your operations report this isn't that important, but if you don't do that you might be missing something truly important. 

Mac Linehan -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 6:04:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I'm sure I'm completely missing something, but I didn't think you got oil in Abadan or Capetown. At least neither shows refinery or oil industries. Does oil appear as a part of out of game industries?

Be careful. Move FUEL to OZ, never oil. Don't move oil anywhere as the Allies. Fuel organically appears in Abadan; it comes to CT either because you bring it from the US East Coast, or in the CD auto-convoys that can also bring supplies and devices for the pools. (Look in the LCU arrival queue to see when and where the CD convoys arrive.)
Supply Perth with fuel from CT and/or Abadan. Supply Sydney, Brisbane, etc. from either the US west coast, or Perth. Supply Darwin from Perth or Sydney/Brisbane.

Don't move oil. After the DEI falls, about the only source you have is Los Angeles, and it needs what it has to make fuel. As the Allies, forget oil even exists. It's one of the few simplifying rules for the Allies.

Moose -

I am playing my first DBB GC game as the Allies (the dark side...?). There was an earlier post months ago (IIRC) that explained the why and what to do with the CT device convoys. To my embarrassment, I have searched and been unable to find that post. Could I trouble you to give a rundown on what should be done with these convoys?

Thank You for your help!

A not so sure in Denver Mac

Smeulders -> RE: A few newbie questions (10/9/2010 6:08:54 PM)

Basically, they arrive, withdraw a couple of days later (no player intervention required) and dump all the devices they have in the pool. Tanker and Merchant devices drop supplies or fuel at their location when they withdraw.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI