RE: A few newbie questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/11/2010 4:52:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I don't think you can load planes on an AG, or an AP for that matter.  I've only had luck loading them on AK type ships.

Too bad. Thanks for the answer though.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/11/2010 7:27:20 PM)

quote:

I don't think you can load planes on an AG, or an AP for that matter.  I've only had luck loading them on AK type ships.

You can Transport planes on both xAPs and AGs. You can't Air Transport on either. The planes have to be broken down. I didn't test APs.

Bradley7735 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/11/2010 7:45:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

You can Transport planes on both xAPs and AGs. You can't Air Transport on either. The planes have to be broken down. I didn't test APs.

LST's work as well.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/11/2010 9:02:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

LST's work as well.

Never tried them. Good tip.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/13/2010 4:26:54 AM)

I know that the sunk ships list isn't reliable with FOW on. But is the number of sunken ships on the victory point counter accurate? I've noticed that the number of sunken ships per the victory point counter is different than the sunk ships list.

Or are they both BS, just independently calculated?

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/13/2010 5:41:28 AM)

Another question I had is what to do about my LCUs getting bombed. Their disruption and fatigue seems to go off the charts. How can I get this to stay at reasonable levels? Which would be better, to rest them or make them reserves?

John Lansford -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/13/2010 4:00:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

I know that the sunk ships list isn't reliable with FOW on. But is the number of sunken ships on the victory point counter accurate? I've noticed that the number of sunken ships per the victory point counter is different than the sunk ships list.

Or are they both BS, just independently calculated?

I've seen ships disappear off the "sunk" list, but if they've been on there for several months you can probably assume you did sink them.

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 3:47:29 PM)

got a question bout strategic moves. most of the units i set to strat move and then give a destination lose their movement order the next turn and i dont know why.

start movement is mainly designed for rail right? well the units in question on the malayan peninsula are all on rail hexs with a direct line to singapore. no combat took place in any of the hexes.

John Lansford -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 3:55:13 PM)

Strategic movement can also take place along roads.  If there's a 'break' in the rail line the units won't be able to strat move to the destination.  Also, the size of the rail line affects how quickly the unit moves, so if they are switching from a large rail line to a smaller one they might get delayed.  I haven't seen one lose its movement order unless there was combat adjacent to them.  Btw, did you check to make sure you did have control of all the hexes?

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 4:39:59 PM)

just played another turn and its still happening.

im playin as allies and and tryin to move all units in sumatra and malaya south as soon as possible. two such units are based in subang as the most northern part of sumatra where there are no japanese forces. ive had them on strat move for the last 3 turns (2 day turns) and each time i give them a movement order it defaults to 'no march order' on the next turn. the same thing as happening to all the other units as well.

what gives?

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 7:24:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonedog

got a question bout strategic moves. most of the units i set to strat move and then give a destination lose their movement order the next turn and i dont know why.

start movement is mainly designed for rail right? well the units in question on the malayan peninsula are all on rail hexs with a direct line to singapore. no combat took place in any of the hexes.

How long should you give ships to show up on the log before you know you didn't get them? I've torpedoed a lot of ships that aren't on the list. I'm hoping this is FOW because invariably my ship crews end up swimming for shore within a couple days of a torpedo hit.

Puhis -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 8:05:13 PM)

quote:

im playin as allies and and tryin to move all units in sumatra and malaya south as soon as possible. two such units are based in subang as the most northern part of sumatra where there are no japanese forces. ive had them on strat move for the last 3 turns (2 day turns) and each time i give them a movement order it defaults to 'no march order' on the next turn. the same thing as happening to all the other units as well.

what gives?

Are you absolutely sure there's no japanese units blocking the rail line? If fog of war is on, you might not see them.

Misconduct -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 8:34:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

quote:

what gives?

Are you absolutely sure there's no japanese units blocking the rail line? If fog of war is on, you might not see them.

This is a common issue I run into, I tend to leave my Recon units to recon without a given target, hoping to figure a watch to spot these ghost units a little more often, however yeah if you don't have adequate recon you can sometimes miss these units that are along the rail link which disrupt movement.

only once I "notice" these units, I recon the hell out of them and keep an eye on them, seems they disappear and reappear other turns when they have moved.

One question i'd like answered, how exactly are these units spotted? I am only guessing at random "recon"

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 9:51:23 PM)

theres is absolutely no way the japs have landed anywhere on sumatra and java. on java there are dutch bases every 2 hexes so surely they would show up. every unit ive set to strat move has had its orders cancelled on the next turn.

i thought at 1st maybe the units are static but the units set to 'move' seem ok.

i would attach the save game file here it but seem unable to.

USSAmerica -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/14/2010 10:37:05 PM)

Tonedog, if you create a thread in the tech support subforum, it allows attachments large enough to accept save files.

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/15/2010 12:21:53 AM)

cool will do. just wanted to check here 1st in case there was some game mechanic i was missin.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/15/2010 1:12:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Is there an air superiority check for strat moving into such a zone? I've only strat moved units AWAY from trouble on Sumatra.

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/15/2010 3:22:01 AM)

i could kinda understand that in malaya but in sumatra and java there is zero japanese activity. what do you guys do with troops in malaya, sumatra and java when playin as allies at the scenario start, do you strat move or just set to 'move'?

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/17/2010 8:39:39 PM)

quote:

How long should you give ships to show up on the log before you know you didn't get them? I've torpedoed a lot of ships that aren't on the list. I'm hoping this is FOW because invariably my ship crews end up swimming for shore within a couple days of a torpedo hit.

Thanks again for everyone's help, this thread is a tremendous help. I don't want to beg for an answer, but if someone wants to take at the question above, I won't complain. I'm getting ansy that I haven't been sinking very much. [8D]

Also, I of course have a new question. What determines if I can reinforce an understrength airgroup that has planes of its type available in the pool (note, I have automatic reinforcements turned off). Sometimes they can reinforce, sometimes they can't. And sometimes I can add a plane or two, but not bring the airgroup to full strength.

Ossian -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/17/2010 9:31:32 PM)

quote:

quote:

Thanks again for everyone's help, this thread is a tremendous help. I don't want to beg for an answer, but if someone wants to take at the question above, I won't complain. I'm getting ansy that I haven't been sinking very much. [8D]

I had confirmation in Dec 44 of a ship I sunk in October 43. That was a recent one, (in Jan 45 now,) but I'm sure the oldest one I've seen was about 18 months. These were merchies, though. I don't know whether warships would turn up faster.

cato13 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/20/2010 11:44:56 AM)

hi,

couple more questions lads.

i have 12 b17's in cagayan (port level 2) that im tryin to transfer to a TF of 3 AKL's. ive docked the TF and changed the planes to a non restricted hq but when i click transfer to docked ships the TF doesnt appear on the list.

the TF is loaded (4290 out of 5250) with fuel, is there not enough space?

i also noticed that the actual base is in a restricted hq, is this the reason?

bout torpedos,

are torpedos at bases abstracted into supplies or are they listed separately somewhere how many a base has?

John Lansford -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/20/2010 12:15:03 PM)

Torpedoes are listed in the main screen for Air HQ units.  The screen will say "Torpedoes xN", where N is a number.  The HQ maintains that number of torpedoes for aerial use as long as it has sufficient supplies.  If you're out of supply, or nowhere close to a HQ, then your torpedo bombers won't be able to use them.

Now, if you're talking about naval torpedoes, they can be reloaded on a ship only at large enough ports, or if you've got an AD or AS with supply at the port.

As for how long it takes for a ship to show up on the 'Sunk' list, the best answer is "it depends".  If you have ships or planes in the area when it sinks, the ship will show up quickly. If the ship sinks on the way home nowhere near one of your ships or planes, you may not hear of it for months.

crsutton -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/20/2010 2:59:32 PM)

quote:

hi,

couple more questions lads.

i have 12 b17's in cagayan (port level 2) that im tryin to transfer to a TF of 3 AKL's. ive docked the TF and changed the planes to a non restricted hq but when i click transfer to docked ships the TF doesnt appear on the list.

the TF is loaded (4290 out of 5250) with fuel, is there not enough space?

i also noticed that the actual base is in a restricted hq, is this the reason?

bout torpedos,

are torpedos at bases abstracted into supplies or are they listed separately somewhere how many a base has?

You need to "load" them onto the transports, you cannot transfer to regular merchant ships. Click on the TF, make sure it is designated as a "transport TF", then click on "load troops" You then should be able to load one unrestricted air group on each AKL in the TF. Note, I would not use AKLs for this mission if you can avoid it. They are too easily sunk. But the need may dictate........

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/20/2010 3:27:40 PM)

As we move deeper into January my campaign, my situation is falling apart. [:(]

Is there a way to save the planes at Clark Field? The airbase has been pounded into submission, and the airgroups based there are basically permanently broken. If you move damaged planes by the road, do they die? At this point, should I just save my pilots and write off the airgroups? (ouch that would hurt)

Also, how can I get my ASW assets to attack enemy subs? I have an identified enemy sub off the coast of LA, and I have an ASW fleet set up with a patrol zone of 2 (one of which is on the enemy sub). No attacks for several turns. I think this is the way to do it, but I'm not getting many attacks in general, so I figured I'd ask now.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/25/2010 3:48:26 PM)

Hey guys, sorry again for all the questions, but the search function on the forum doesn't seem to be working and I think these may be critical.

1) How do I stop LCUs in non base hexes from building fortifications? I'm worried these units in China are going to obliterate my supply.

2) How do I get pilots into the general reserve? Specifically, I want to get my guys stuck at Clark Field and Manila out of there, but the only option I have once getting them to the group reserve is to make them active again.

ckammp -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/25/2010 4:26:01 PM)

quote:

Hey guys, sorry again for all the questions, but the search function on the forum doesn't seem to be working and I think these may be critical.

1) How do I stop LCUs in non base hexes from building fortifications? I'm worried these units in China are going to obliterate my supply.

2) How do I get pilots into the general reserve? Specifically, I want to get my guys stuck at Clark Field and Manila out of there, but the only option I have once getting them to the group reserve is to make them active again.

To get the pilots out of Clark Field and Manila, you have two options:
1) Transfer them to General Reserve
2) Transfer them to another squadron

For option 1), you must add pilots to the squadron until there is more pilots than the maximum number of planes +1 (ie- if the squadron has 25 planes, you must have 27+ pilots).
Once you have enough pilots, you will be given the option to transfer pilots to General Reserve.
Please note, you must keep the number of pilots above the maximum number of planes +1 in order to continue transferring pilots (ie- if you added 3 pilots, then transferred 3 pilots, you must again add 3 pilots).
IMHO, this method is tedious and time-consuming, and should be avoided.

For option 2), you must place all the pilots in Group Reserve (ie- click once on the pilots' names).
Once all the pilots are in Group Reserve, go to another squadron (preferably one that is not scheduled to withdraw) and use "Request Veteran" to pull the pilots out of the squadrons on Clark Field and Manila.
This option is much faster, and you can send the pilots to General Reserve from the new squadrons.

Please note, the above options also apply to any squadrons that have withdraw dates.

edit:
In response to your first question, AFAIK, there is no way to prevent LCUs from "digging-in", and creating fortifications in non-base hexes, but in my experience the supply cost is minimal; again AFAIK LCUs will only create forts of level 1-2.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/25/2010 8:17:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckammp

quote:

To get the pilots out of Clark Field and Manila, you have two options:
1) Transfer them to General Reserve
2) Transfer them to another squadron

For option 1), you must add pilots to the squadron until there is more pilots than the maximum number of planes +1 (ie- if the squadron has 25 planes, you must have 27+ pilots).
Once you have enough pilots, you will be given the option to transfer pilots to General Reserve.
Please note, you must keep the number of pilots above the maximum number of planes +1 in order to continue transferring pilots (ie- if you added 3 pilots, then transferred 3 pilots, you must again add 3 pilots).
IMHO, this method is tedious and time-consuming, and should be avoided.

For option 2), you must place all the pilots in Group Reserve (ie- click once on the pilots' names).
Once all the pilots are in Group Reserve, go to another squadron (preferably one that is not scheduled to withdraw) and use "Request Veteran" to pull the pilots out of the squadrons on Clark Field and Manila.
This option is much faster, and you can send the pilots to General Reserve from the new squadrons.

Please note, the above options also apply to any squadrons that have withdraw dates.

edit:
In response to your first question, AFAIK, there is no way to prevent LCUs from "digging-in", and creating fortifications in non-base hexes, but in my experience the supply cost is minimal; again AFAIK LCUs will only create forts of level 1-2.

Thanks so much.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/28/2010 10:29:13 PM)

Does anyone have an idea why my torpedo bombers at singapore are attacking naval targets with bombs? There is an air hq with torpedo supply present.

My guess is that the targets are low value, or I've attacked too high (10000 ft).

ChezDaJez -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/29/2010 2:01:23 AM)

quote:

Does anyone have an idea why my torpedo bombers at singapore are attacking naval targets with bombs? There is an air hq with torpedo supply present.

My guess is that the targets are low value, or I've attacked too high (10000 ft).

First, make sure that the torpedo planes are set to use torps vs bombs. The only targets that won't be attacked by torps from aircraft are subs, barges and landing craft. Indeed, barges and landing craft can only be attacked by fighter bombers and attack aircraft AFAIK.

Altitude doesn't matter as the bombers will drop down to 100' to launch them.

Chez

Alfred -> RE: A few newbie questions (12/30/2010 12:26:36 AM)

quote:

Also need to attack only within normal range, not at extended range.

Alfred

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI