RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Wirraway_Ace -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (2/17/2011 1:20:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

My wife calls it "Geeky Gaming" and has asked me to promise not to teach it to our daughter, but otherwise she just asks politely if I am winning.

I don't recall if I have at some point agreed not to teach WiTP AE to our 1 year old daughter...

Wait...you don't make diving airplane sounds or explosion sounds during combat replay do you...because that would be seirously geeky. "YEEEEEEEEEEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW BOOOOOOOSH!"

You know, that kind of thing.

Now you tell me!

bradfordkay -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (2/17/2011 3:29:46 AM)

quote:

My wife calls it "Geeky Gaming" and has asked me to promise not to teach it to our daughter, but otherwise she just asks politely if I am winning.

I don't recall if I have at some point agreed not to teach WiTP AE to our 1 year old daughter...

One of my co-workers asked if I was winning my game. I told him "I don't know. Ask me again in three years."

"Three years??!!!"

They just don't understand...

Chickenboy -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (2/17/2011 4:02:20 AM)

Brad,

After receiving similar questions, I've just assumed the positive. "Yes, I'm winning. Handily." Like Tokyo Rose, who cares if it's real? Certainly not the people asking me the question. [:D]

rockmedic109 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (2/17/2011 5:57:01 AM)

I always reply that it isn't winning or loosing that is important, but the path in getting there.

Then they say "AHH!  So you are loosing!"

They just don't understant......

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/8/2011 5:46:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

One of my co-workers asked if I was winning my game. I told him "I don't know. Ask me again in three years."

"Three years??!!!"

Haha... yesss

obvert -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 11:40:11 AM)

Ummm, my girlfriend doesn't know I play this game. Yet. We don't live together. I hide the gaming laptop when she's around. This is bad, I know.

The trouble is, when do you tell them you play a game that takes years to finish?

It's hard enough getting someone to understand a game that takes 12 hours to finish.

At present I am enjoying my secret.

Erkki -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 12:02:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Ummm, my girlfriend doesn't know I play this game. Yet. We don't live together. I hide the gaming laptop when she's around. This is bad, I know.

The trouble is, when do you tell them you play a game that takes years to finish?

It's hard enough getting someone to understand a game that takes 12 hours to finish.

I have enough trouble making people understand when I say there might be, possibly, probably, "nothing happening" in a game I play for 5 minutes or longer. Let alone 80-minute online sorties in Il-2, or some "stupid map game that takes 2 years to finish when nothing happens". [:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 1:14:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

If you decide to take things to the next level, take it from someone who learned the hard way--make sure she knows. Knows it all. The time committment, the mind committment, the outside reading, the forum time. That she knows it's one of, or your only, main hobby. That it can take significant weekend hours, making girlfriends necessary for garden shows, dog shows, aimless shopping trips, and celebrity gossip. That it will cut into your availablity for co-watching stupid TV and/or chick flicks.

My ex and I played "Might and Magic I" on my trusty AppleIIe. She even kept a 3-ring binder of notes ("Sprites can kick your ass!") while I manned the keyboard. However, once we got married computer games became "stupid" and she wanted to know why I wouldn't take up golf, since that was "useful" in advancing a career.

Number 2 understands. I have hidden nothing. Our computers are in the same room (with the Tivo), and she can do her online thing and/or watch the Tivo, while I play AE and watch TV with one eye. (No sound in AE but it's a minor sacrifice.) Sometimes she'll look at the map and ask "Where is that?" "Tassafaronga," I'll say, and she says "Huh", and we continue to watch "Glee" or a home-improvement show.

And she for sure thinks golf is "stupid." Farm girl, knows acreage like that is for soybeans and sugar beets, not gopher holes.

Just be very careful. Don't invest too much time in her before She Knows. [:)]

EUBanana -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 1:20:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

My other half refers to WITP as "the bee game", because of the hex map looking like a honeycomb. [:D][:D][:D]

Some are bewildered by hexagons, others find NATO symbology overwhelming. [;)]

[img]http://pyxis.homestead.com/Nato-Tornado.jpg[/img]

[:D][:D][:D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 3:24:10 PM)

My wife knows and has always known. She thinks its stupid. Her romance novels are stupid. We agree to disagree. It is my hobby during the winter while she reads. During the summer I rarely play it and we do stuff outside. She would hang out with us at the dorms in college while we played games and she'd....read. That is her thing. We do plenty of other things together, and I find my self spending less and less time on the computer, and I am ok with that.

Just so long as she knows and is ok with it, you're fine.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 3:47:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

My wife knows and has always known. She thinks its stupid. Her romance novels are stupid. We agree to disagree.

Number 1 read romance novels, and tried to write a couple too. So I can say with assurance that romance novels are exacty like playing the Japanese--on page 1/turn 1 you know how it's going to end. Every . . . single . . . time. [;)]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 4:08:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

My wife knows and has always known. She thinks its stupid. Her romance novels are stupid. We agree to disagree.

Number 1 read romance novels, and tried to write a couple too. So I can say with assurance that romance novels are exacty like playing the Japanese--on page 1/turn 1 you know how it's going to end. Every . . . single . . . time. [;)]

Haha... it is like my Louis L'Amour books....

He kicks tail, finds the gold, and gets the girl....every...single...time..

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 4:47:49 PM)

quote:

Haha... it is like my Louis L'Amour books....

He kicks tail, finds the gold, and gets the girl....every...single...time..

Yeahbut, do HE have any Cowboy-heiress-amnesia-monkey baby plots with a Scottish time travel chaser? Huh? Does he? [8D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:03:01 PM)

He doesn't have a Rafael who actually knows what true romance is.....according to my wife....

I asked her if he was lost due to the Pilot Bug....you can guess the response.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:16:42 PM)

quote:

He doesn't have a Rafael who actually knows what true romance is.....according to my wife....

Ask her how Rafael performs on 60% Patrol, 40% Rest.

At this point you've got little to lose . . . [:'(]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:18:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

Ask her how Rafael performs on 60% Patrol, 40% Rest.

At this point you've got little to lose . . . [:'(]

Hey Liz... should I send Rafael to the reserve or TRACOM?

Chickenboy -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:22:43 PM)

Just so long as he's not set for 'replacement / request veteran' in your squadron, if you get my gist. [;)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:24:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Just so long as he's not set for 'replacement / request veteran' in your squadron, if you get my gist. [;)]

Does that depend on whether PDU is set ON?

With her as Player, if you get my drift? [:D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:24:41 PM)

[:D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:25:44 PM)

I told her once we should vacation in Pago Pago....

She said.. I don't like Africa...

[8|]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:27:01 PM)

quote:

[8|]

Then she'd LOVE Tassafaronga!!! [:)]

(Hey, this is just like a chat room!)

jeffk3510 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:29:17 PM)

quote:

quote:

[8|]

I wonder if she would rather use off map movement...

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/9/2011 5:38:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[8|]

(Reply deleted on the grounds this forum is rated PG-13.)

morganbj -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/10/2011 1:33:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[8|]

(Reply deleted on the grounds this forum is rated PG-13.)

That's what I was thinkin'

Chickenboy -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/10/2011 2:36:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Does that depend on whether PDU is set ON?

With her as Player, if you get my drift? [:D]

Alas, isn't PDU ON always set for these sorts of things?

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/10/2011 9:43:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

"Three years??!!!"

My co-workers just shake their heads in disbelief when I ritually launch WitP Classic during lunch break.

They have stopped asking "Is that the same game? Against the same opponent?" long ago.

I have started my PBEM in January 2006...

Chickenboy -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/10/2011 10:18:05 PM)

I can age myself with this game series. I remember playing turns in classic WiTP with my infant son sitting on a 'boppy' cushion on my lap. A common evening ritual for us, where he would fall asleep while I played.

My son turns 7 next month.

koontz -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/16/2011 11:56:53 PM)

Well ive have heard stories or kind of rumors that some of you have fammily and even children,,, [8|]
Anyone with an "non-understanding" GF may ive recomend http://www.passionofsweden.se/products/xl/1341.jpg

offenseman -> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? (3/17/2011 3:00:59 AM)

A week ago I caught my wife enthusiastically telling someone that I play a wargame vs a guy from London and a guy from Austria.  She understands that it is a really benign hobby compared to other things. :)

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI