(Closed) My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding

Redmarkus5 -> (Closed) My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 5:06:24 PM)

New thread started at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2755516&mpage=1&key=�

I downloaded and installed the Frontline map mod, and it's a fantastic piece of work.

However, I do have a couple of issues with it, the keys ones being:

1. The use of Caps for town names.

2. A lot of towns being added to the map, which are not actually treated as towns by the game (a bit confusing) plus some in-game towns being moved on the map, thus now being treated by the game as swamp or woods, etc.

So, I have started work on an adaptation of the mod, only using in-game towns and a lowercase font. I've made a few other changes, but all kudos to Frontline for his work! Players will just have another mod to choose if they wish.

Here's a sample - all comments on the alternative approaches are welcome. I haven't yet decided whether I will add actual frontlines. I have been thinking that I need a Zoom 5 front line for each major phase of the war, rather than the details of each month... I'll give this some thought.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/14B32D5B992849EAB379FA6416F11D14.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 6:15:14 PM)

A bit less 'busy' and with port indicators that stand out when units are showing on-map. Should reduce the number of 'why did the enemy rout across the water' posts :)

[image]local://upfiles/27287/1C25B5D3E17C4AC8B49533E75C447300.jpg[/image]

GFelz -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 7:15:34 PM)

I like it. One suggestion if I may... use the same spelling as in game. Easier when following AARs etc me thinks. I like the fonts. I would use this. Will this be one large single map?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 7:25:54 PM)

Thanks.

Well, the point of the map is to supply 'German' spellings on-map to help people find locations that have German names in various histories, I believe. So, players will have both names available, one on the map and the other via search or mouse-over of the hex...

I will think about a second version with the original in-game names. It could be installed to the 'with hexes' folder, given another option that can be toggled in the game preferences...

cookie monster -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 7:35:32 PM)

Maybe you could highlight the pop 4 towns on the map

for there First Winter sheltering properties

GFelz -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 8:02:11 PM)

Do the pop for towns not change based on the pop evacs during play?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 9:03:05 PM)

Can you give me a list of towns that should be highlighted? Could use the help :)

Also, how about highlighting the factory locations, maybe like this:

[image]local://upfiles/27287/1D084EE4B38D4EE3A2FB0F5E49FEF183.jpg[/image]

cookie monster -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 9:39:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Can you give me a list of towns that should be highlighted? Could use the help :)

Ive got it. Open up the game on Russian Turn One.

Open the CR. Go to locations tab.

Filter population.

You then have a list of 4 pop plus towns.

Factories look ok. I don't have a better idea. Most ideas would clutter the map too much, such as coloured hexes etc.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 9:44:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

quote:

Filter population.

Factories look ok. I don't have a better idea. Most ideas would clutter the map too much, such as coloured hexes etc.

Thanks, but I know that. I meant a list outside of the game that I can easily use to copy/paste from, such as Excel list. The game lists require me to alt-tab back and forwards twice for each town - and there are a LOT of towns... :)

cookie monster -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 9:53:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

quote:

Filter population.

Thanks, but I know that. I meant a list outside of the game that I can easily use to copy/paste from, such as Excel list. The game lists require me to alt-tab back and forwards twice for each town - and there are a LOT of towns... :)

Maybe plot them on one of the planning maps which are available, and then edit the map file as you have them open

cookie monster -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/2/2011 11:13:24 PM)

I notice you have a white background against your anchor.

If you opened a tga file with background as transparent then you could copy the anchor onto no background.

You could then copy visible and paste ONLY the anchor as a layer.

TGA will allow you to save with transparent background.

I dont know what image program you use but paint.net and gimp support this.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 6:19:27 PM)

I'm using Paint.net and I have the names in one layer and the anchors in a third layer, with the base map image below. This way I can easily change a name or change the anchor images without messing up the original map.

I used transparency with the factory icon, but the white background around the anchors was deliberate - they don't stand out very clearly if you just display them as anchors. There were some shiny gold ones available online, but not to my taste...

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 6:20:32 PM)

Maybe it needs a thin black border around the white background?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 7:02:56 PM)

How about this approach to indicating the larger towns (see Grodno and Byalistok down south)

[image]local://upfiles/27287/D09F42D076784C10A62AAB39432FD285.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 7:12:34 PM)

with larger font as well, for emphasis

[image]local://upfiles/27287/705733973E1B4A40860D48234B65E881.jpg[/image]

carnifex -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 7:21:13 PM)

quote:

Thanks.

Well, the point of the map is to supply 'German' spellings on-map to help people find locations that have German names in various histories, I believe. So, players will have both names available, one on the map and the other via search or mouse-over of the hex...

I will think about a second version with the original in-game names. It could be installed to the 'with hexes' folder, given another option that can be toggled in the game preferences...

quote:

Thanks.

quote:

Thanks.

I'm in the in-game names camp. Looking at towns deep inside Russia that have Germanized names doesn't seem right.

goranw -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/3/2011 8:04:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

quote:

Thanks.

quote:

Thanks.

quote:

Thanks.

I'm in the in-game names camp. Looking at towns deep inside Russia that have Germanized names doesn't seem right.

Hi!
As I see it its not right or wrong. At least 50% of the used maps looked that way.
What we should have is also a Russian language map. But that is more difficult to achieve.
GoranW

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 6:46:55 AM)

I agree. I have been thinking about how to get Russian-looking names on the map. For example, if you use Google's Language Tools and translate 'Vilnius' to Russian, it gives you '(deleted - see below)' which would look good, but nobody would know what it said, unless they can read Russian. How many would use it?

So, maybe we just need the same English-German spelling, but with a different font?

Votes? Comments?

[image]local://upfiles/27287/69F7C402AE2641E593645E5CB17C38E9.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 6:49:07 AM)

Actually the Russian it gave me was this.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/F69CB7163EDD4EB2B58BB63CEC8BD0C4.jpg[/image]

laska2k8 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 8:00:56 AM)

is there a version ready to download and test ?

max

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 10:48:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: laska2k4

is there a version ready to download and test ?

max

Not yet :)

I am on Map 21 out of 60+. If I get a good amount of time to work on it over the weekend, I should be able to finish, but it depends on my great leader (wife) and the Politburo (kids) LOL

I will ask Cookie Monster to host at his Wiki site. If you want the first 20 maps, let me know here. We could maybe provide them in zip files of 10 maps each, one file every day or two. Having names on the northern maps alone looks fine to me in may game - it just makes me want to finish the rest faster!

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 10:51:21 AM)

quote:

I am thinking that the Russian version would actually look quite cool. I need to see if I can get translations for all town names via Google. Is there a Russian speaker in the forums who would be willing to check the correct spelling for me?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 10:51:56 AM)

Another thing we need is a 'Map Master' that shows on the Zoom 5 level which areas are covered by each Zoom 2 map. I am thinking of making this, but maybe there is already one out there? Does anyone know?

goranw -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 12:28:38 PM)

quote:

Another thing we need is a 'Map Master' that shows on the Zoom 5 level which areas are covered by each Zoom 2 map. I am thinking of making this, but maybe there is already one out there? Does anyone know?

Hi!
A suggestion;
At the same time, on the Zoom5 map, also what areas are covered by each Zoom4 map.
Goran

Josh -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/4/2011 2:01:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

I am thinking that the Russian version would actually look quite cool. I need to see if I can get translations for all town names via Google. Is there a Russian speaker in the forums who would be willing to check the correct spelling for me?

I think 76mm is from Moscow.
Don't know about Russian townnames though... It certainly would *look* cool, but uhm, I'm afraid we would kind of get lost on the map... I know I would.

goranw -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 9:59:57 AM)

Hi!
Here is a typical Soviet ww2 map. Scale 1:2,5 milj.
Russian naming.
Some resemblence otherwise with the WitE map.
Goran

[image]local://upfiles/4588/2B4D6B5635B44DF1BFC21D65A45DC53D.jpg[/image]

Rasputitsa -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 11:34:27 AM)

Nice map, thanks, do you know the date of the original. [:)]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 12:10:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

quote:

I agree - Russian-looking, but readable for an English speaker is probably the best objective. Another choice is to show as 'English (Russian)' - both names on the map...

I think 76mm is from Moscow.
Don't know about Russian townnames though... It certainly would *look* cool, but uhm, I'm afraid we would kind of get lost on the map... I know I would.

Maybe a version that shows the names in both English and then Russian?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 2:21:33 PM)

Location of Zoom 2 maps... Not 100% accurate, but pretty much on target.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/F39801A0CB0740CB85D01299EEC2ABDC.jpg[/image]

goranw -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 3:23:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Nice map, thanks, do you know the date of the original. [:)]

Hi!

Officially from -44 but that cant be true.
Perhaps reprinted then.
The reasons for this are that the borders are not the official ones from-44 and
that the railways are not updated to -44. Ex no rail Cherson - Chrimea.
The map has the borders from 26.6-40 against Germany occupied territory
(Ex Soviet has Cernauti)), but Hungary has not yet gained areas in Rumania and that
happened 30.8.40.
Goran

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI