RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/5/2011 5:40:41 PM)

OK, after some experiments, I find that even though I can get the Russian translations, I can't type them in Paint.net or paste the text in.

So, the first version of the mod will feature the names from the game displayed on the map...

[image]local://upfiles/27287/1416699D37CD47DC8070C78E934D4FA7.jpg[/image]

bcgames -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 6:58:25 AM)

No worries; I can't read Russian anyway. Immersion is one thing--confusion is another.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 10:03:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

No worries; I can't read Russian anyway. Immersion is one thing--confusion is another.

Too right! You should try doing this mod :) I am confused enough as it is!

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 10:09:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GFelz

I like it. One suggestion if I may... use the same spelling as in game. Easier when following AARs etc me thinks. I like the fonts. I would use this. Will this be one large single map?

So, to confirm, I am going with your suggestion and using the in-game names. I had reached Map 23 with the 'Germanic' names but I have now re-done all of those and also completed Map 24 with in-game names only. [so, thanks :) LOL]

It can't realistically be one single map as that's not how the game's files are setup. There are 63 separate map files at the Zoom 1-3 level (the same files are used for each of those zooms) and each is 3MB in size. If I did stitch them together as a single image, it wouldn't work in the game and would be 189MB in size - too big to work for most people as a planning map and of now use otherwise.

If you did need such a map, you could easily create it from my 63 map files once they are completed...

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 10:12:20 AM)

If someone wants to help, I need an Excel table listing each town and city and indicating the population and factory level, plus the map number.

Eventually, I will have to create this myself, after I have put all the town names on the map, but it would be a great help if somebody wanted to do it themselves...

RedLancer -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 10:57:31 AM)

I'd like to say this took me weeks of work - this is a slimmed version of the city.csv file for GC41. I hope it has the info you need. Remember not every city appears on the map.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 4:07:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I'd like to say this took me weeks of work - this is a slimmed version of the city.csv file for GC41. I hope it has the info you need. Remember not every city appears on the map.

Fantastic! Many thanks :)

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/6/2011 8:00:52 PM)

Update on progress.

1. Have now completed place names for NW Russia (West of Moscow and North of Kursk).

2. Re-did all Axis territories to use black font - the names were impossible to see in the snow!

3. Names are now based on what is programmed in the game - no extra towns and no move of town locations.

I will complete all maps west of Moscow and then look at adding indicators for size 4 towns and larger, as well as factories.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/4293926D71BC41C782A2CA4C27F2322E.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/8/2011 8:40:09 PM)

Ideas for icons. Comments please?

[image]local://upfiles/27287/AF892F769A284DCE9E116CF7938DDFDA.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/8/2011 10:35:03 PM)

Western Ukraine done...

[image]local://upfiles/27287/BF72F0746AB449EDABCCD733A3A750CE.jpg[/image]

cookie monster -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/8/2011 10:48:56 PM)

icons look good

BTW Sevastapol and Simerferapol have city art but they are really pop 4 towns maybe you wanna change that

Pipewrench -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 1:43:46 AM)

icons are a very nice addition.

bcgames -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 4:05:50 AM)

Your choice of icons is very functional...easy to understand.

Texas D -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 6:47:27 AM)

The icons look great.

vilcum -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 10:18:13 AM)

You are doing a fantastic work, I īm eager for downladable version.

As for the icons, the Port one is superb in every concern , the black ones for resources,oil, etc  seems a little too big , perhaps reducing them to about same size as the port one would be in order.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 4:17:56 PM)

Thanks gents.

I tried smaller icons, but you can't really see what they are saying. An anchor is fine, but once you start trying to say 'oil rig' or 'factory' the bigger size is needed. However, I will keep playing around with that.

If anybody has examples of icons they like, for example from another game, please post them here or PM them to me.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 4:55:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

icons look good

BTW Sevastapol and Simerferapol have city art but they are really pop 4 towns maybe you wanna change that

Done, but I can't fix the CAPS in Sevastopol without access to the dev's base files. Maybe they will fix it for us.

I will complete this map when I get to it in the sequence of work.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/7BEBB44AF58740F5A052B9E639160B8D.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 5:01:31 PM)

How about just putting a number next to the name of Pop4 and above towns?

[image]local://upfiles/27287/E2D5F95E9913436792B502362EF16768.jpg[/image]

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 6:33:26 PM)

This is how it's looking in 'action'. You need to remove units to see all of the icons.

Comments on all aspects welcome!

[image]local://upfiles/27287/A92222D400F844AAB9D23319CECCB01A.jpg[/image]

JocMeister -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 7:17:43 PM)

I like it! :)

Zort -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 7:31:52 PM)

Do the numbers change once there is an evacuation?  

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 8:54:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Do the numbers change once there is an evacuation?  

I am not really sure, but I was figuring that the blizzard benefits must be based on how many houses there are and not people - unless everyone is planning to get snuggly... ;)

Anyway, at least it's an indicator that there MAY be extra beds available at that location...

Also, if the factories are evacuated, then the icons have no meaning to the Axis player, but at least they indicate objectives that should be seized quickly.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 8:57:48 PM)

I am now going for just 1 icon per hex. The + sign on some factories means that there are other items in the hex (resource production, etc.)

I am also placing the icons ON the towns and not next to them to minimize their footprint.

[image]local://upfiles/27287/3EC81F242C3E41FC802A69955BF11FC1.jpg[/image]

carnifex -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/9/2011 9:17:35 PM)

My advice get rid of the population indicators. Only useful for one side and briefly, and it clutters the map. German players facing winter will manually poll every town along the front anyway. And it's not like 4 is a magic number anyway where anything lower is completely useless.

scalp -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 2:17:45 AM)

You ve got some mistakes in russian names for cities. Simerferapol is actually Simferopol, Barvenkovo not Barenkovo. I speak russian so if you d like me to check all the spellings send me a PM.

bcgames -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 4:21:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
How about just putting a number next to the name of Pop4 and above towns?

Yeah! This is a great idea. It provides a good reminder mechanism for those learning the game; the unobtrusiveness of the idea will not offend others. Like it.

bcgames -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 4:36:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

I am now going for just 1 icon per hex. The + sign on some factories means that there are other items in the hex (resource production, etc.)

I am also placing the icons ON the towns and not next to them to minimize their footprint.

This is good stuff. I like how you are developing this mod and the sharing of your thoughts along the way. I think your approach is very helpful to a) understanding what is important to game play, and b) providing options for the graphical represention of significant game data.

Drive on!

vilcum -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 8:07:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  redmarkus4

I am now going for just 1 icon per hex.  The + sign on some factories means that there are other items in the hex (resource production, etc.)

Strongly agree with no more than 1 factorie/resource icon per hex, as for the population numbers, totally with carnifex

quote:

ORIGINAL:  carnifex
My advice get rid of the population indicators.  Only useful for one side and briefly, and it clutters the map.  German players facing winter will manually poll every town along the front anyway.  And it's not like 4 is a magic number anyway where anything lower is completely useless.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 9:39:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scalp

You ve got some mistakes in russian names for cities. Simerferapol is actually Simferopol, Barvenkovo not Barenkovo. I speak russian so if you d like me to check all the spellings send me a PM.

Thanks. I am using the spellings from the game itself, but there will be some typos for sure. I don't think I need a Russian speaker at this stage, but if you see errors in the screenies or after I upload the files, post here and I will fix them.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: My version of the 'Frontline' Mod (3/10/2011 9:40:43 PM)

OK, all comments are being taken on board and processed. Many thanks!

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI