RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/11/2012 3:42:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

Good hour earlier than I want it to be morning tithe. I hate daylight savings time!

Have you guys already switched?

Last night was the switchover for those states that still have this practice. Good early/late morning tithe...

Ahhh... you don't have this whole federal state wide? [X(]

But how this translates into 4 time zones mainland USA has if separate state can decide for itself whether it has daylight saving or not... [&:]

Leo "Apollo11"

More than just separate states. Separate counties in - I think it is - Indiana. In Arizona, the Navajo Reservation does switch while the rest of us do not.

Most likely it does not save anything at all since the widespread adoption of air-conditioning.

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/11/2012 3:55:08 PM)

The authors noted, "Consistent with Benjamin Franklin's original conjecture, DST is found to save on electricity used for illumination, but there are increases in electricity used for heating and cooling."

quote:

3/10/2012 10:02:00 PM
Why Arizona doesn't observe daylight saving time

Nicholas DeMarino
The Daily Courier

A minute after 1:59 a.m. Sunday, most Americans sprung an hour forward to 3 a.m. for daylight saving time.

Most Arizonans didn't.

"There's a Navajo saying about it," said Marshall Trimble, Arizona's State Historian, "That only the U.S. government could believe that when you chop the top off a blanket it and sew it on the bottom, you have a longer blanket."

Despite the brickbat, the Navajo Nation does celebrate daylight saving time throughout its stakes in the Four Corners area. That includes Arizona, which hasn't practiced synchronized clock tinkering since the late 1960s.

Some tribes, including the Hopi and, locally, the Yavapai-Prescott Tribe, don't spring forward in Arizona, but others do.

This creates time zone pockets within time zone pockets, potentially instigating cluster headaches for travelers in northeastern Arizona.

"Depending on where you're coming from, you could change your watch, drive a few miles, change it again, drive a few miles and change it again," said Trimble, who's lectured on the subject in academic settings.

It begs the question, why does anyone bother with daylight saving time in the first place?

The rationales and histories behind the practice are more convoluted than first glance, and Arizona, it turns out, has a messier tale to tell than most.

War time

Benjamin Franklin is widely credited with coming up with the concept of daylight saving time.

The 18th-century icon espoused the idea in a satiric essay, as he was wont to do, advocating a later sunset to decrease use of fuel for artificial lights.

More than 100 years later, countries around the world got on board to conserve resources during World War I.

The U.S. Congress passed the first daylight saving time legislation on March 19, 1918. Originally, the hour shift was from the second Sunday in March through the second Sunday in October. After some state and federal push-me-pull-yous, Arizona and other states returned to standard time during the last third of 1919.

On Feb. 9, 1942, the nation went back on "war time." Arizona went along again, although there was a string of proclamations and repeals and re-appeals in 1944.

Arizona didn't enter the fray again until the late 1960s.

Sunrise, sunset

During the mid-20th century some states continued observing daylight saving time, while others did not.

The federal Uniform Time Act of 1966 established a national daylight saving time from the last Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October. Per the bill, states could opt out, but Arizona didn't, and residents adjusted their clocks, both mental and ontic, in 1967.

That year, on June 21, the sun set at a record-late 8:41 p.m. in Arizona.

"I remember reading the commentary in the paper," Trimble said. "One of the pundits said something to the effect that we've got enough sunshine without the extra hour."

Business owners, in particular, claimed it was hurting sales, and the state Legislature took up the issue, yet again.

The following brief from The Associated Press appeared on the front page of the Prescott Daily Courier on March 21, 1968:

"The Arizona Legislature today sent to the governor a bill to exempt Arizona from daylight savings (sic) time without any public referendum on the issue. The measure was approved 49-1 in the House and 25-3 in the Senate."

That was pretty much the end of Arizona's hot-cold relationship with daylight saving time.

Dubious benefits

In 2005, a federal bill extended the length of daylight saving time from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November beginning in 2007. This didn't affect non-participating states and U.S. territories, which include Arizona, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

In 2008 the U.S. Energy Department released a report showing the extended hours in 2007 saved roughly equivalent of 0.5 percent in total daily electricity saving, or "0.03 percent of electricity consumption over the year."

That's just the extension, though, and what few other studies about daylight saving time exist have conflicting results.

Also in 2008, a working paper using data from Indiana was published by the National Bureau of Economic Research that showed daylight saving time actually increased electricity use. The authors noted, "Consistent with Benjamin Franklin's original conjecture, DST is found to save on electricity used for illumination, but there are increases in electricity used for heating and cooling."

Their findings showed an average household cost of $3.29. Still, that's just one study in Indiana.

Within and without

So what happens locally without daylight saving time? According to many business promoters and city and town officials in Prescott area, not much.

"Folks in our visitors center who are looking to move here rarely mention it," said Marnie Uhl, C.E.O. of the Prescott Valley Chamber of Commerce. "When they find out, they usually find it nice because it's not complicated. I don't think it's ever come up on the business end of things."

Over at Prescott's Tourism Department, Director Don Prince said it's never come up.

"I think everybody knows Arizona is a little different that way," said Robert Coombs, Prescott's visitor information center manager. "I've never heard anything about it."

And Yavapai-Prescott Tribe land? That's not a problem, as the tribe doesn't observe daylight saving time.

But, when dealing with musicians from outside the state, it can sometimes enter the equation.

"Every now and again, I'll get a call from a band running late because of it," said Bobby Joe Kolar, who does the booking for Prescott's Lyzzard's Lounge. "I'm a lifelong Arizonan, though, and I find the whole daylight saving time thing kind of confusing in the first place."

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/11/2012 10:56:01 PM)

Hi all,

Zssssssss time... [>:][>:][>:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 8:54:11 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 11:39:09 AM)

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Afternoon tithe... Hi Guys, I have just received this rather interesting correspondence from this interesting-sounding fallow. [sm=terms.gif]

01 Bp 266, Ccp No: 34-167
Cotonou, Republique du Benin.

Greetings.

I am Dr. Vincent Hoffarth, principal treasury officer with my bank. I have decided to contact you through this medium based on a business proposal, which will be of mutual benefit to both of us.

I know you will be surprise to read my email I got your contact from your Email domain, apart from being surprise you may be skeptical to reply back to me due to what is going on in the internet world today one has to be very careful because a lot of scammer are out there to scam innocent people and this has made it very difficult for people to believe anything that comes through the internet but my proposal is a different case.

I am the personal account manager to one of our late client, a national of your country, who used to work with SOCIETE BENINOISE D’ENERGIE ELECTRIQUE (SBEE) here in Republique du Benin as an engineer and a contractor on Energy Maintenance, my late client made a numbered time (fixed) deposited for twelve calendar months, valued at $18,500,000.00 (Eighteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in my branch. Upon maturity, we sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but got no reply.

After a month, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from his contract employers, SOCIETE BENINOISE D’ENERGIE ELECTRIQUE (SBEE) that my client died from an automobile accident. On further investigation, I found out that he did not leave a will and all attempts to trace his next of kin were fruitless. I therefore made further investigation and discovered that the deceased person did not declare any next of kin in all his official documents, including his bank deposit paperwork with our bank.

This sum of ($18,500,000.00) is still sitting in our bank and the interest is rolled over with the principal sum at the end of each year. No one will come forward to claim it. According to the Republique du Benin law, at the expiration of 5{five} years, the money will revert to the ownership of the Benin government if nobody applies to claim the funds.

Consequently, my proposal is that I will like you as a foreigner to stand in as the next of kin to deceased person for the fact that you have same last name with him so that this money will not be reverted by the government. If this request matches with your inward intention for success and greatness, then you are urged to make a quick response indicating your interest and readiness to participate and work with me to make this transaction successful to your account.

Please observe utmost confidentiality, and rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us because I shall require your assistance to my share for investment in your country. In your return mail, please do forward me your following information if you are willing to complete this deal with me, to enable me put the total funds in your name for claim as the next of kin to the deceased person:

Your full name:

Your contact address:

Your phone number:

Your age:

Awaiting your urgent reply for more details on claim process in your name.

Yours Brotherly.

Dr. Vincent Hoffarth.

Des I think this is bogus... [:D]

It would be OK if they asked for your bank number and photo of your passport... then it would be reasonable legit request... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

You can have fun with these if you're careful. I have an alter ego who converses with these guys on a fairly regular basis. Obviously it's a safe email address removed from anything else to do with me. G-mail even scrubs all the IP data from the emails you send out so they can't find out anything about you [:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 1:59:42 PM)

Good Monday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 4:09:29 PM)

Yesterday 56F. Tied the record. Rain today. It has been a long time since I've seen rain. Maybe 70F. this coming Saturday.[8D]
There were Northern Lights Saturday night. They were above the northern horizon. The trees in my neighborhood obsured my view. Chain saw time.[sm=00000055.gif]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 7:35:18 PM)

Hi all,

Dear Lord... has anyone here tried Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/indepth-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview

I thought that Office 2007 / 2010 was bad interface wise (stupid decision to remove classic menus) and now we got this strange Windows 8 with "Metro" interface and no "Start Menu"... [X(]

Who is thinking at Microsoft I wonder... it looks ugly... it feels bad... it is not intuitive... [&:]

BTW, Microsoft Windows Phone operating system look the same way (i.e. new "Metro" look)... you an imagine the "success" it enjoys compared to beautiful Apple iOS and Google Android... some decisions are really strange by Microsoft... [8|]

Leo "Apollo11"

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 9:10:58 PM)

Contro+Shift+Hammer[:D]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/12/2012 11:54:00 PM)

Hi all,

Zsssssssss time... [>:][>:][>:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 12:00:42 AM)

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 12:01:00 AM)

quote:

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 12:02:05 AM)

don't know if i've ever seen bookend "goodnight" and goodmorning" posts with nothing in between...

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 8:50:42 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 8:51:13 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

don't know if i've ever seen bookend "goodnight" and goodmorning" posts with nothing in between...

It happens sometimes... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 2:46:30 PM)

Just so it doesn't happen again, Good Morning Tithe.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 2:52:22 PM)

Good morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 3:44:39 PM)

Dudes! S'up? Morning tithe...

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 3:49:51 PM)

Hi all,

Time to go home after work tithe...

Leo "Apollo11"

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 4:02:14 PM)

At work, building Mr.Sid tile composites all day Tithe. (Yeah, it doesn't sound fun, and you would be right!)

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 4:04:13 PM)

Good beautiful morning.[8D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 5:06:04 PM)

Have you beat Mike....at the dentist getting a filling as we speak ..

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 6:09:01 PM)

No turning back. Spring is here. I just saw about 80 Canada's fly over the office.[8D]

I was at the dentist last week. Just a cleaning.

Nikademus -> LOG! (3/13/2012 7:57:02 PM)

One more reason not to live in Texas......

Getting struck by lightning while walking the corgi.

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 8:02:37 PM)

Hi all,

Good evening!

Leo "Apollo11"

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 9:17:52 PM)

Dont drop it, don't drop it, for Thread's sake, don't drop it...

[image]local://upfiles/16369/893B44469CED45FC88C40D789AEFACDA.jpg[/image]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 11:35:22 PM)

AHHHHHH-CHOOOOOOO![sm=dizzy.gif]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/13/2012 11:46:13 PM)

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/14/2012 3:56:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Dont drop it, don't drop it, for Thread's sake, don't drop it...

[image]local://upfiles/16369/893B44469CED45FC88C40D789AEFACDA.jpg[/image]

what the hell is that? a dangerous IBoot?

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (3/14/2012 3:56:31 AM)

and by the way

Page: <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI