RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 11:52:22 AM)

Denmark's very own Mr. Burns, Mærsk McKinney Møller, has died. He was not a nice man.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 1:29:37 PM)

Good Monday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 3:06:10 PM)

Good raining, getting JeffK3510s weather leftovers, morning tithe.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 4:15:02 PM)

Snow to the north and west. Rain to the south and east. Just ool and windy.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 4:46:47 PM)

"ool", eh? Is that a North Dakotan thing?

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 4:56:10 PM)

Is there no snow on dirt roads in Belgium, or are there no dirt roads left? No comment about their guide from San Diego. [8|]

quote:

4/15/2012 11:42:00 PM
When a road trip turns into a disaster...
Paulden residents rescue stranded tourists

Lorenzo de Lichtervelde pushes the mired minivan as Laurence Delle Vigne tries to drive it out of the mud on Forest Road 492. The tourists did their best to move the van, but were unsuccessful until Jeff and Jesse Bivins showed up.
Courtesy photo.
Scott Orr
The Daily Courier

PAULDEN - It was intended to be a fun road trip to see the Grand Canyon and then a national park in Utah.

But the fun ended on March 18, when a massive snowstorm struck northern Arizona and the six tourists-five Belgians and one American-driving from San Diego in a minivan, became stuck on an unpaved road.

Lorenzo de Lichtervelde said the group found I-40 closed due to the snow, with police directing traffic to return to Prescott.

"Unwilling to lose time and our hotel reservations," he said, "we made the very bad decision to try to reach Williams, despite road closures, by taking detours through roads starting near the Drake cement plant" near Paulden.

It wasn't long before the minivan was stuck in deep mud on Forest Road 492. Panic began to set in as the sun dropped lower and lower on the horizon.

"It was scary," said de Lichtervelde. "It was getting cold and dark."

The group sent two women on foot to go to the plant for help, and the remaining tourists, two men and two women, tried to free their vehicle. They ended up covered in mud and cold, wet snow.

In the dark, the small group began to realize the magnitude of their situation. The minivan was not going anywhere and they were trapped on a remote dirt road with no way to get help.

Just when they had given up hope of freeig the minivan, a big pickup truck driven by two men appeared.

Jeff Bivins and his nephew, Jesse, had seen them from a distance and headed over to rescue the tourists from the mud.

"They were quite glad to see us," Jeff said. "They were tiptoeing around in the mud."

"What surprised me the most," said de Lichtervelde, "is that instead of judging us and scolding us, as I would have expected, these two men were infinitely nice."

The pair set about pulling the minivan and another vehicle mired nearby out of the mud.

"(Jeff) even crawled under our car, in two feet of freezing mud, to attach a rope to the frame," he said.

"It was really, really, really cold out there," said Jeff's wife, Ronnie. "They probably would have frozen."

She said Jeff returned home "covered in mud from his head to his toes."

"I don't think they realized what kind of trouble they were in," said Jeff.

Once back to the paved road, the Samaritans invited the group to their home near the cement plant, where they found the two women who had gone for help, covered up in blankets and holding warm drinks.

Ronnie "offered us blankets, drinks, and food as well, and even offered to let us stay the night in their home," de Lichtervelde said.

De Lichtervelde said the group tried to give them money, but they wouldn't take it.

"They certainly saved our trip," he said, and "very possibly our lives."

"It's good for karma, I think, " said Jeff. "Maybe someday when I need help, God will send someone my way."

[image]local://upfiles/14248/796CD00A2427445C9E978D269DA2B7AB.jpg[/image]
quote:

Lorenzo de Lichtervelde pushes the mired minivan as Laurence Delle Vigne tries to drive it out of the mud on Forest Road 492. The tourists did their best to move the van, but were unsuccessful until Jeff and Jesse Bivins showed up.
Courtesy photo.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 5:19:21 PM)

You can't fix stupid. [8|]

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 5:20:48 PM)

Of course you can. With a bullet through the brain.

Nikademus -> looog (4/16/2012 5:57:09 PM)

mondays.......oy.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 6:02:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No. It's a Bohonk thing.[:'(]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 6:05:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

There have been so many tornadoes today

The Air Force flew thier KC-135's out of Nebraska and Kansas here to get out of harms way.

Mundy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 7:57:08 PM)

Well, McConnell AFB got smacked by a twister way back when. Was probably the biggest blow SAC ever took.

Ed-

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 8:57:57 PM)

Yeah, groin. The ISF is kicking us in the keester. The big boys in Finns, have six different sticks and at least two sets of sails for every stick configuration. The boats, themselves, aren't all that different, just the motors have more gears.

Ainslie and Postma are both on the sailmaker's A list, so they get stuff/attention that nobody else does. Sad but true. We get the best that Ullman Sails can pull out of the box, and a bit from Bill Shore, but nothing like the "condition specific" recuts that the big boys get. Even so, Alvaro handed Pieter-Jan his head (with help from Ioannis Mitakis) at Scarlino.

Have to say, though, Ben Ainslie (Finn Class, GB) is my pick for his fourth consecutive medal in sailing. That would put him at the top of the Paul Elvstrom hall of fame. A really nice guy, too.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 9:12:29 PM)

Had some elk roasts last night. Heaven.[8D]

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 9:47:26 PM)

monday tithe...[&o]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 9:50:07 PM)

quote:

Reminds me of a sign I've seen at some private pools that expect children to attend:

"Welcome to our ool. You'll note there's no "p" in it. Please keep it that way."

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 9:51:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Had some elk roasts last night. Heaven.[8D]

A place off of the Baltimore Pike south of Philadelphia had Elk Wellington (they called it Elk Whelkington, of course) that was superb...

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 11:10:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Reminds me of a sign I've seen at some private pools that expect children to attend:

"Welcome to our ool. You'll note there's no "p" in it. Please keep it that way."

Years ago I saw a set of drawings for a new public pool with the 'l' omitted from public.

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/16/2012 11:26:52 PM)

Hi all,

For those of us who are a bit older and remember that there was something before the Internet... [8D]

[image]http://media.bestofmicro.com/google-bbs-norbert-landsteiner,S-1-334081-13.png[/image]

http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

http://www.masswerk.at/bingBBS/

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 8:26:29 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 2:29:49 PM)

Good morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 2:55:54 PM)

Well, Bataan and Singapore just fell (021542 and 022142, respectively), but on the plus side of the ledger, the Akagi was sunk. 9 bombs from my SBD's and then she sailed in the front of the USS Plunger, whose Mk 14s designed to work properly that day. Whee![sm=Cool-049.gif]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:13:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

For those of us who are a bit older and remember that there was something before the Internet... [8D]

[image]http://media.bestofmicro.com/google-bbs-norbert-landsteiner,S-1-334081-13.png[/image]

http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

http://www.masswerk.at/bingBBS/

Leo "Apollo11"

Lite Brite!

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:31:32 PM)

End of an era:

[image]http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/nashvillen/DiscoverybeingflownintoDulleson17Apr2012fortheSmithsonian.jpg[/image]

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:32:09 PM)

I am promised better photos tomorrow.

treespider -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:46:31 PM)

Lunch time tithe from the office.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:51:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

End of an era:

Kind of sad, isn't it? I used to really want to buy a Saturn car like the one in the foreground there, but since GM folded their operations...[:(]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:52:33 PM)

Late morning tithe...[&o]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:52:56 PM)

Better close the door...

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/17/2012 4:53:07 PM)

Ex nae on the og-lae.

Page: <<   < prev  171 172 [173] 174 175   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI