RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

larryfulkerson -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 12:30:46 PM)

Here's the one I use:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

Here's the weather in KFCX:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?region=fcx

What would be cool is if we could somehow get the game to read the real weather for the Pacific and plot the real weather in our game. Flight Simulator does that for me.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/B137D4928BD14639BED839B5D1B83032.gif[/image]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 12:32:56 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's the one I use:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

Thanks Larry but I think this is USA only... [;)]

BTW, still playing WitE and WitP-AE?

I haven't seen you posting much recently...

Leo "Apollo11"

larryfulkerson -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 12:41:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
...still playing WitE and WitP-AE?

HI there Apollo11. I love the moniker by the way.

Um........I've got two WITP-AE games going and I'm doing AAR's on both of them. I just a few minutes ago posted something in one of them:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3109795&mpage=4&key=�

And here's the other one:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3102178&mpage=6&key=�

I've sortof given up on WITE at the moment. Having way too much fun doing WITP-AE stuff now. I bought WITP-AE about 6 months ago and was tinkering with it moving a unit or two and learning how to do things. And about a month ago started a PBEM game w/ Rob as the Allied side and me the Japs and haven't looked back. It's been funner than WITE ever was. Things have sort of slowed down on the WITW site and I've been doing WITP-AE almost non-stop all day long what with two opponents and everything. I love it.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 2:06:24 PM)

Good Friday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 3:53:04 PM)

Watched John Carpenter's "The Fog" last night. Horror movies were scarier in pre-CGI days. Also, Adrienne Barbeau.

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 3:57:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Watched John Carpenter's "The Fog" last night. Horror movies were scarier in pre-CGI days. Also, Adrienne Barbeau.

Yup....because lack of CGI required the storytelling to be better and just as signifigantly, to use suspense and the 'unseen' as tools to terror in the audience.

Now we have CGI and the ghosts, gouls and monsters might as well shop at a brightly lit Wallmart. "13 Ghosts" is probably one of the best early examples of this trend.

Vampires of course are a seperate issue. Like the Tshirt said in Forks WA, "I remember when Vampires used to be scary"

Now they are a world of Abercrombie and Finch teenagers who party hard and die harder. Very scary.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 3:58:48 PM)

Exactly. Subtlety doesn't exist any more.

SqzMyLemon -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 4:01:14 PM)

quote:

It's also not in 3D like everything else is at the moment, just a gimick. Do we really need a "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D...really?

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 4:03:37 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

It refers to the "2nd AIF" The 1st AIF were units of the first world war

Yes, we established that. It's Onime's point about AA units carrying the prefix but not being allowed outside of Oz that I'm confused about.

Why would they be? the 2/ designator doesn't mean the unit might not be restricted.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 4:14:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Wow. I kinda feel sorry for Germans right now. I just looked at a flight weather map, and it is - quite literally - raining over the 'entire' country right now. The Czech border is dry, but that's it! [:D]

Holen Sie sich Ihre Regenschirme raus!

Looking for another reason to go into Czechoslovakia.[:D]

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 6:31:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just watched a program about RAF CASEVAC flights from Afghanistan to the UK. Very heavy stuff.

T, a while back you enlightened me as to the "2/" designation on Australian units. Would you know why the AA units have the "2/" designation but are restricted to Australia?

Er, no idea. This is the first I hear of it...[&:]

With me there is always a chance I have misunderstood something. But heres a screenie. I have not clue #1 how many guns an Aussie AA regiment is supposed to have, so this could very well be the 2nd battalion of the 1st Regiment (which would make for some darn confusing nomenclature)....

[image]local://upfiles/11853/5CF4054809514FBAB295A7D8F15B7437.jpg[/image]

I am pretty sure that you have it right... this is the 2nd Battalion (or Battery) of the 1st Regiment.

Treetop64 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 6:40:06 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

I just looked at a flight weather map, and it is - quite literally - raining over the 'entire' country right now. The Czech border is dry, but that's it! [:D]

What map do you use? URL?

Leo "Apollo11"

I used Jeppensen. Could only find localized U.S. weather with URL.

I confused the Czech border with the Austria/Swiss border in my post, though. [8|][:-]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 8:57:15 PM)

We're getting very, very close to the weekend here..... [:)]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 9:07:41 PM)

Tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 10:53:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day;
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way.

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town;
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain;
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you;
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

just heard the starting gun...rum/beer/whiskey time...[8D]

[sm=00000436.gif]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/1/2012 11:16:14 PM)

+1[sm=00000436.gif]

Reg -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 1:08:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just watched a program about RAF CASEVAC flights from Afghanistan to the UK. Very heavy stuff.

T, a while back you enlightened me as to the "2/" designation on Australian units. Would you know why the AA units have the "2/" designation but are restricted to Australia?

With me there is always a chance I have misunderstood something. But heres a screenie. I have not clue #1 how many guns an Aussie AA regiment is supposed to have, so this could very well be the 2nd battalion of the 1st Regiment (which would make for some darn confusing nomenclature)....

I am pretty sure that you have it right... this is the 2nd Battalion (or Battery) of the 1st Regiment.

Not necessarily. The 2/ prefix could indicate that the unit was raised as part of the 2nd AIF (for overseas service).

Check this link: http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/F03459/ which is the library index and description on a film of the unit's overseas service. It returned to Australia in March 1942. Once home it would have then been allocated to mainland defence, hence the restricted status.

Edit:
Oops.... Wrong unit but you can see what I mean...

anarchyintheuk -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 1:23:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

quote:

Wow. I kinda feel sorry for Germans right now. I just looked at a flight weather map, and it is - quite literally - raining over the 'entire' country right now. The Czech border is dry, but that's it! [:D]

Holen Sie sich Ihre Regenschirme raus!

Looking for another reason to go into Czechoslovakia.[:D]

Worth it. Great place to visit.

Reg -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 1:55:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not necessarily. The 2/ prefix could indicate that the unit was raised as part of the 2nd AIF (for overseas service).

Check this link: http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/F03459/ which is the library index and description on a film of the unit's overseas service. It returned to Australia in March 1942. Once home it would have then been allocated to mainland defence, hence the restricted status.

Edit:
Oops.... Wrong unit but you can see what I mean...

I found this unit history on-line. Seems to be incomplete but covers enough to answer your question. It was assigned to mainland defence duties upon return to Australia. Interestingly it had been converted to a Light AA Unit by this time which agrees with the other info I found.

quote:

WW2Talk Forum: 6th Australian Infantry Division Artillery

2/1st Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RAA
Raised
1 May 1940 in New South Wales
Batteries
1st, 2nd, 3rd Batteries

The regiment was formed as part of corps troops with 1st Battery formed in New South Wales and 2nd and 3rd Batteries in Victoria. On 29 June 1940, half of 2nd Battery was sent to Darwin. It arrived on 1 July and moved to Larreykah Barracks with the 2nd Section at Darwin and 3rd Section at Parap Camp. It remained there until December 1940, when it was replaced by 14th AA Battery and was recalled to Sydney. It left Sydney for the Middle East in June 1941 and arrived on 25 July 1941.
In August 1941, it was converted to a Light AA Regiment and served under 1st Australian AA Brigade in Palestine. It then served under 7th Australian Infantry Division during the invasion of Syria. It returned to Australia with 7th Australian Infantry Division and corps troops in March 1942. It was sent to the Darwin area after the 19 February 1942 Japanese air raid. It had the responsibility of the AA defence of all airfields in the Northern Territory area. The 3rd Battery was sent to Port Moresby to form part of its AA defence on 11 April 1942. The regiment reformed as 2/1st Composite AA Regiment in July 1943 and became part of I Australian Corps Troops. It was located at Finschhafen in October and November 1943. It returned to Queensland in early 1944 and remained as corps troops until the for the rest of the war. It served under I Australian Corps in the Balikipan, Borneo landings from 1 July to 15 August 1945.
3rd Battery, which left the regiment when it became a Composite AA Regiment, landed with 7th Australian Infantry Division as an airborne unit at Lae-Nadzab in early September 1943. It served there until

warspite1 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 8:13:42 AM)

Chaps the draw for the semi-final of the Australian Beauties competition has just been completed.

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:19:13 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:20:22 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

...still playing WitE and WitP-AE?

HI there Apollo11. I love the moniker by the way.

Um........I've got two WITP-AE games going and I'm doing AAR's on both of them. I just a few minutes ago posted something in one of them:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3109795&mpage=4&key=�

And here's the other one:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3102178&mpage=6&key=�

I've sortof given up on WITE at the moment. Having way too much fun doing WITP-AE stuff now. I bought WITP-AE about 6 months ago and was tinkering with it moving a unit or two and learning how to do things. And about a month ago started a PBEM game w/ Rob as the Allied side and me the Japs and haven't looked back. It's been funner than WITE ever was. Things have sort of slowed down on the WITW site and I've been doing WITP-AE almost non-stop all day long what with two opponents and everything. I love it.

RGR Larry!

And WitW (you showed up and then disappeared)? [;)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:21:13 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just looked at a flight weather map, and it is - quite literally - raining over the 'entire' country right now. The Czech border is dry, but that's it! [:D]

What map do you use? URL?

I used Jeppensen. Could only find localized U.S. weather with URL.

I confused the Czech border with the Austria/Swiss border in my post, though. [8|][:-]

Thanks for info!

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:30:28 AM)

Hi all,

How are things Robert?

Tottenham was 4th this season and still it missed the Champion League... [:(] the Arsenal match was fatal... just one single point and what a difference it makes...

In immortal words of one fan:

"It's the Spurs way... to always f**k it all up, bring hope and deliver misery..."

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:44:18 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

Watched "World War II: The Last Heroes" last night on National Geographic... very very good... surprisingly so...

Here is series info when it was shown on UK Channel 4:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/world-war-ii-the-last-heroes/episode-guide/series-1

Leo "Apollo11"

warspite1 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:44:41 AM)

quote:

Hi all,

How are things Robert?

Tottenham was 4th this season and still it missed the Champion League... [:(] the Arsenal match was fatal... just one single point and what a difference it makes...

In immortal words of one fan:

"It's the Spurs way... to always f**k it all up, bring hope and deliver misery..."

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

I'm very well thanks Leo - trust you are too?

Yeah we missed out on the CL - all entirely our own fault so could not be too upset ultimately when Chelsea won the CL, beating the Germans on penalties, and with a German missing the vital penalty in Germany [:)]

Even having thrown away a ten point lead over the Arse, we still had it back in our hands when Arsenal drew with Norwich with two games to go. All we had to do was beat Aston Villa...but couldn't even do that.....[8|]

I see Dynamo Zagreb won the title again so maybe more CL for you next year - hopefully if you qualify, you will do a little better than last time [;)]

On the General Discussion forum I will be running a Euro 2012 footie competition (simple guessing of results (with extra points for correct score)). Dixie has said he will enter - do you fancy it too?

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:56:52 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I'm very well thanks Leo - trust you are too?

All OK (more or less)...

quote:

Yeah we missed out on the CL - all entirely our own fault so could not be too upset ultimately when Chelsea won the CL, beating the Germans on penalties, and with a German missing the vital penalty in Germany [:)]

Even having thrown away a ten point lead over the Arse, we still had it back in our hands when Arsenal drew with Norwich with two games to go. All we had to do was beat Aston Villa...but couldn't even do that.....[8|]

Ahhh... [:(]

I wonder if the Modric, Kranjcar and Corluka will stay for next season...

quote:

I see Dynamo Zagreb won the title again so maybe more CL for you next year - hopefully if you qualify, you will do a little better than last time [;)]

I was bloody disaster... the worst ever team in "Champions League" ever... [:(] [:@]

quote:

On the General Discussion forum I will be running a Euro 2012 footie competition (simple guessing of results (with extra points for correct score)). Dixie has said he will enter - do you fancy it too?

I will take a look! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 5:11:56 PM)

Day of shopping with the wife.....yay

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 9:44:15 PM)

Ummm...hello. [:'(]

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 9:45:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

wow......i just realized that the shootings yesterday in Seattle occured at a Cafe i've gone too a couple times. The name hadn't sparked the memory as its not one I frequent alot. Then i saw the video still and instantly recognized the interior. Jesus. Nice place.....good coffee and live music. F'd up world we live in. [:(]

Indeed.

The WU had directed my attention to a strange spate of events that can only be described as disgusting and extremely bizarre recently. First was some guy in FL high on "bath salts" who was chewing off people's faces. Then some guy in NJ who eviscerated himself and threw pieces of his own intestines at the police who were trying to subdue him (at least thats what I understood from her explanation, hadnt read the story myself). That was followed by this body parts thing in Canada....

[:(]

Welcome back from your self-imposed exile, Comrade Red Mouse.

I'd say that your news article is clear evidence of the Zombie horde recrudescence. Just in time for the end of 2012 too. All hail our new CHUD overlords! [&o]

I've been practicing by playing Fallout. [sm=00000106.gif]

I saw a great picture of a sign outside a boat dealer. It read, "buy a boat....zombies can't swim" [:D]

But they can, theoretically, survive underwater indefinitely so make sure your boat is in a deep body of water. [:-]

Page: <<   < prev  216 217 [218] 219 220   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI