RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 9:53:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Watched John Carpenter's "The Fog" last night. Horror movies were scarier in pre-CGI days. Also, Adrienne Barbeau.

Yup....because lack of CGI required the storytelling to be better and just as signifigantly, to use suspense and the 'unseen' as tools to terror in the audience.

Now we have CGI and the ghosts, gouls and monsters might as well shop at a brightly lit Wallmart. "13 Ghosts" is probably one of the best early examples of this trend.

Vampires of course are a seperate issue. Like the Tshirt said in Forks WA, "I remember when Vampires used to be scary"

Now they are a world of Abercrombie and Finch teenagers who party hard and die harder. Very scary.

I heard this cool house remix on the radio. I didnt get any of the references in the video until some exited teenager asked me if I like Twilight too after looking over my shoulder at my phone screen for some odd reason. [8|]

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 9:55:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

It refers to the "2nd AIF" The 1st AIF were units of the first world war

Yes, we established that. It's Onime's point about AA units carrying the prefix but not being allowed outside of Oz that I'm confused about.

Why would they be? the 2/ designator doesn't mean the unit might not be restricted.

Well, if it is 2 AIF wasnt it expressly raised for overseas service and as such unrestricted by definition? [&:]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:01:49 PM)

Hi all,

Zsssssssss time... [>:][>:][>:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:02:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just watched a program about RAF CASEVAC flights from Afghanistan to the UK. Very heavy stuff.

T, a while back you enlightened me as to the "2/" designation on Australian units. Would you know why the AA units have the "2/" designation but are restricted to Australia?

Er, no idea. This is the first I hear of it...[&:]

With me there is always a chance I have misunderstood something. But heres a screenie. I have not clue #1 how many guns an Aussie AA regiment is supposed to have, so this could very well be the 2nd battalion of the 1st Regiment (which would make for some darn confusing nomenclature)....

[image]local://upfiles/11853/5CF4054809514FBAB295A7D8F15B7437.jpg[/image]

I am pretty sure that you have it right... this is the 2nd Battalion (or Battery) of the 1st Regiment.

In that case, it confuses my whole world view since I had always thought a battery was 4-6 guns (not 38+). Even the Russian Дивизион was a 3-4 battery formation whereas 36-40 seems about right for a contemporary artillery regiment.

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:05:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just watched a program about RAF CASEVAC flights from Afghanistan to the UK. Very heavy stuff.

T, a while back you enlightened me as to the "2/" designation on Australian units. Would you know why the AA units have the "2/" designation but are restricted to Australia?

Er, no idea. This is the first I hear of it...[&:]

With me there is always a chance I have misunderstood something. But heres a screenie. I have not clue #1 how many guns an Aussie AA regiment is supposed to have, so this could very well be the 2nd battalion of the 1st Regiment (which would make for some darn confusing nomenclature)....

[image]local://upfiles/11853/5CF4054809514FBAB295A7D8F15B7437.jpg[/image]

I am pretty sure that you have it right... this is the 2nd Battalion (or Battery) of the 1st Regiment.

Not necessarily. The 2/ prefix could indicate that the unit was raised as part of the 2nd AIF (for overseas service).

Check this link: http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/F03459/ which is the library index and description on a film of the unit's overseas service. It returned to Australia in March 1942. Once home it would have then been allocated to mainland defence, hence the restricted status.

Edit:
Oops.... Wrong unit but you can see what I mean...

I found this unit history on-line. Seems to be incomplete but covers enough to answer your question. It was assigned to mainland defence duties upon return to Australia. Interestingly it had been converted to a Light AA Unit by this time which agrees with the other info I found.

quote:

WW2Talk Forum: 6th Australian Infantry Division Artillery

2/1st Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RAA
Raised
1 May 1940 in New South Wales
Batteries
1st, 2nd, 3rd Batteries

The regiment was formed as part of corps troops with 1st Battery formed in New South Wales and 2nd and 3rd Batteries in Victoria. On 29 June 1940, half of 2nd Battery was sent to Darwin. It arrived on 1 July and moved to Larreykah Barracks with the 2nd Section at Darwin and 3rd Section at Parap Camp. It remained there until December 1940, when it was replaced by 14th AA Battery and was recalled to Sydney. It left Sydney for the Middle East in June 1941 and arrived on 25 July 1941.
In August 1941, it was converted to a Light AA Regiment and served under 1st Australian AA Brigade in Palestine. It then served under 7th Australian Infantry Division during the invasion of Syria. It returned to Australia with 7th Australian Infantry Division and corps troops in March 1942. It was sent to the Darwin area after the 19 February 1942 Japanese air raid. It had the responsibility of the AA defence of all airfields in the Northern Territory area. The 3rd Battery was sent to Port Moresby to form part of its AA defence on 11 April 1942. The regiment reformed as 2/1st Composite AA Regiment in July 1943 and became part of I Australian Corps Troops. It was located at Finschhafen in October and November 1943. It returned to Queensland in early 1944 and remained as corps troops until the for the rest of the war. It served under I Australian Corps in the Balikipan, Borneo landings from 1 July to 15 August 1945.
3rd Battery, which left the regiment when it became a Composite AA Regiment, landed with 7th Australian Infantry Division as an airborne unit at Lae-Nadzab in early September 1943. It served there until

Thanks for the link. T had solved that 2/ mystery for me a little while back, now I was wondering why some of those 2/ units are coming in restricted to Australia.

Onime No Kyo -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/2/2012 10:09:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Apparently I have a soporific effect on people. [sm=sad-1361.gif][:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 1:40:50 AM)

Good Saturday evening - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 1:42:16 AM)

Alex had 3 more fantastic tryout sessions this afternoon. Now, we're sitting at home doing the "F5" routine while we wait for the "callback" list to be posted for tomorrow's final tryout session..... [sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 1:50:52 AM)

[sm=nono.gif]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 1:55:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Apparently I have a soporific effect on people. [sm=sad-1361.gif][:D]

Again, Comrade Red Mouse-something we could have told you years ago. You shouldn't be so surprised. [:'(]

Treetop64 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 3:09:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Day of shopping with the wife.....yay

Lemme guess: Ross. Marshall's. Target.

DOCUP -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 3:50:10 AM)

Hello from work. Nothing to do, so I will get paid to stand guard and read.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 11:46:25 AM)

Mid Sunday tithe.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 2:30:37 PM)

Just got a mess from my sister telling me I'm now the proud "uncle" of six puppies. [:)] Pictures later.

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 2:46:28 PM)

Hi all,

Good day!

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 2:47:07 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Just got a mess from my sister telling me I'm now the proud "uncle" of six puppies. [:)] Pictures later.

Nice! [:)]

BTW, how are things Per?

Long time no hear / see...

Leo "Apollo11"

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 3:14:37 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

BTW, how are things Per?

Leo "Apollo11"

Hi Leo,

I've just (almost) completed my most work-heavy spring ever. During seven of the last eight weeks I've either been running exercises, or been a participant of an exercise, in Luxembourg/Belgium/France and Estonia as well as two exercises within Sweden. I've barely had time to come home and unpack before it's been time to pack the bags and go away again. I'm tired as hell by now. Ah well, now I just have to do all the admin stuff that has been neglected while I was away and do some preparation for the autumn courses, before I can take a well earned (and long) vacation. Light chores in other words.

Otherwise, how has things been on THE THREAD!!! ? Same drivel as usual? [;)]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 3:30:14 PM)

quote:

Yes. Give or take.

Good to hear you're busy with work, Per. Come back when you are bored to tears of your administrative stuff. See you tomorrow, in other words. [:D]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 3:35:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. Give or take.

Good to hear you're busy with work, Per. Come back when you are bored to tears of your administrative stuff. See you tomorrow, in other words. [:D]

Why am I not surprised? [:D]

Yup, see you later. As we all know, the lure of THE THREAD!!! beats admin stuff 99 times out of 100, so I'll be there.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 4:14:14 PM)

SS I-25 put two torpedoes into Hornet yesterday, just off the coast of Brisbane. Both shots resulted in ***FUEL STORAGE EXPLOSION*** notices too. Die Yankee gaijin dogs! DIE!!!!

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 4:22:46 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

BTW, how are things Per?

Hi Leo,

I've just (almost) completed my most work-heavy spring ever. During seven of the last eight weeks I've either been running exercises, or been a participant of an exercise, in Luxembourg/Belgium/France and Estonia as well as two exercises within Sweden. I've barely had time to come home and unpack before it's been time to pack the bags and go away again. I'm tired as hell by now. Ah well, now I just have to do all the admin stuff that has been neglected while I was away and do some preparation for the autumn courses, before I can take a well earned (and long) vacation. Light chores in other words.

RGR!

Have a nice vacation Per! [:)]

BTW, when are you going?

quote:

Same old... same old... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 4:46:04 PM)

quote:

Have a nice vacation Per! [:)]

BTW, when are you going?

In two weeks from now. After this spring, I'm not in the mood for any long travel adventures ... so I'll probably just stay within the country.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 4:53:42 PM)

Otherwise, June has started really crazy weatherwise [sm=crazy.gif]

Yesterday we had something more looking like an autumn storm here in Stockholm. Just a couple of degrees above zero, sleet and 15 m/s winds. I really felt sorry for the guys running the Stockholm Marathon.

My old man sent me a picture of how his small strawberry patch looked like on the morning two days ago.

[image]local://upfiles/18375/91D92631F186404EBB35496F8CDA652E.jpg[/image]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 4:57:09 PM)

... and ... totally unrelated to anything;

[image]local://upfiles/18375/8C6417AC5960479186466469D98377F2.jpg[/image]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 6:18:01 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

Otherwise, June has started really crazy weatherwise [sm=crazy.gif]

Yesterday we had something more looking like an autumn storm here in Stockholm. Just a couple of degrees above zero, sleet and 15 m/s winds. I really felt sorry for the guys running the Stockholm Marathon.

My old man sent me a picture of how his small strawberry patch looked like on the morning two days ago.

[image]local://upfiles/18375/91D92631F186404EBB35496F8CDA652E.jpg[/image]

[X(]

It is almost +30 degrees Centigrade here... hot like in the middle of summer...

Leo "Apollo11"

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 7:22:09 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

It is almost +30 degrees Centigrade here... hot like in the middle of summer...

Leo "Apollo11"

It's a bank holiday here, so it's raining.

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 9:00:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It refers to the "2nd AIF" The 1st AIF were units of the first world war

Yes, we established that. It's Onime's point about AA units carrying the prefix but not being allowed outside of Oz that I'm confused about.

Why would they be? the 2/ designator doesn't mean the unit might not be restricted.

Well, if it is 2 AIF wasnt it expressly raised for overseas service and as such unrestricted by definition? [&:]

IIRC....no. It represented the mobilization and establishment of an Australian force. How much was made available for overseas duty was up to the politiicians.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 9:10:24 PM)

Tithe. [&o]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 9:10:35 PM)

Must

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/3/2012 9:10:46 PM)

perform

Page: <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI