RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:04:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

There isn't. It's a real police force, with real cops, chartered by a real city, trained and accepted by a real state. The only thing that makes it different is it's paid for by donation , not tax payers. Unless you also have a problem with volunteer fire departments? (Not the tax funded...the old fashined ones totally doantion funded). [:)]

Very different situation, volunteer fire departments. No police powers.

Treetop64 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:14:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64
quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
quote:

Boxing accident. After sparring I shadow boxed in the corner. While doing this I turned and threw a jab...
...I underestimated the reach of my jab.

Candidate for the Darwin Awards

Good news is that the wall was wooden and gave a little, and I didn't feel any pain at all for almost half an hour. Thought I was OK. But when I did start to feel it, oh boy!

First and second Metacarpals are fractured, and the Carpals were slightly relocated. Fingers are fine.

Did you at least get a TKO on the wall?

No, but there's a small dent. Does that count?

Hey Tree dude, I really hate it when that happens. I hate to hear about anything suffering. Or anyone. I'd help you if I could. Just know that you're in my thoughts. I'm sending healing vibrations your way.

HA! I thought I recognized your avatar! It is a small world!

Thanks for the vibes. I'm not suffering, though, I was being an idiot. I'm not even any good at boxing, I just do it to stay in shape and keep my spirits up.

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:16:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

There isn't. It's a real police force, with real cops, chartered by a real city, trained and accepted by a real state. The only thing that makes it different is it's paid for by donation , not tax payers. Unless you also have a problem with volunteer fire departments? (Not the tax funded...the old fashined ones totally doantion funded). [:)]

Not as many perhaps. But on rare occassions they may be called upon to exercise similar powers. As in the case of destroying private property for public good. (IE , dynamiting a house to stop a conflagration , or create a backfire). In the USA police and fire departments generally receive their powers from the legislative bodies in the same document. Which also allows health inspectors,code enforcement officers , animal control officers (which the "Animal Cops" truly are) and similar organizations and positions. Many communities can't afford either animal shelters or animal control officers , but have them due to private donations or the SPCA. [:)]

So really as, I've said before, the only real difference is the source of funding. Tax payer versus donation. Are you one of those folks who belive that all good things must come from the government? They DO control these cops, administrate and hire them.

In my small town , it was not unusual for local merchants or private citizens to donate to the local police department. Once a car dealer even paid for a squad car , complete with equipment. Is this improper? [&:]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:26:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

One would think that would be a medical issue, and not something for the police to bother with.

I would assume that depends on how the animal sustained the burn. For example if someone held a hot iron or some other instrument to the dog to deliberately harm it, then yes, it's a crime. (Some of us feel that should be a capital offense). [:@]

He didn't say "out-of a dogs burn", he said "out-of a dogs bum". [:D]

Thanks for the correction. [&o] But the point I was trying to make to our friends who might not have seen the show was that the cops are SCPA COPS (Society for the Prevention of cruelty to Animals) and I've never seen an episode which didn't involve either cruelty or abuse. Or both. (Not that I've seen every episode...I'm afraid I don't have much stomach for the horror they show).

That's the purpose of the show. SPCA is a private organization that campaigns against hunting, but in some places they actually have been granted special police powers, etc. Very strange and not a good situation.

Cruelty is certainly bad.

Most local SPCAs are what you think of when you think of animal shelters. Many of them have agents with some limited police powers. Typically, they can write citations or subpoena, but need local police departments to arrest. These powers vary municipality by municipality, state by state. Generally speaking, SPCAs try to keep out of the politically-charged arena, as their mission generally is more local and relegated to animal care and running an animal shelter. I support my local SPCA.

These local SPCAs are often confused with HSUS, PeTA and a number of other NGOs that are focused on banning animal use in research, anti hunting agendas, mandated vegan diets and the like. PeTA has a cozy relationship with ALF (Animal Liberation Front) that is on the top of the FBI's domestic terrorist list, as this group has proudly burned down research labs, home subdivisions and has been implicated in other unsavory behavior. These organizations couldn't care less about individual animal cruelty cases or running a shelter, but benefit from people's confusion about their names ("Humane Society of the United States" MUST support local shelters, right? Nope.) and their real agenda. I do not support or condone the activities of these schmucks.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:28:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not as many perhaps. But on rare occassions they may be called upon to exercise similar powers. As in the case of destroying private property for public good. (IE , dynamiting a house to stop a conflagration , or create a backfire). In the USA police and fire departments generally receive their powers from the legislative bodies in the same document. Which also allows health inspectors,code enforcement officers , animal control officers (which the "Animal Cops" truly are) and similar organizations and positions. Many communities can't afford either animal shelters or animal control officers , but have them due to private donations or the SPCA. [:)]

So really as, I've said before, the only real difference is the source of funding. Tax payer versus donation. Are you one of those folks who belive that all good things must come from the government? They DO control these cops, administrate and hire them.

In my small town , it was not unusual for local merchants or private citizens to donate to the local police department. Once a car dealer even paid for a squad car , complete with equipment. Is this improper? [&:]

Not at all. My opinion is that that's the way it should be. We have a local fund drive for a replacment for a local police dog that's retiring. The fund is to find and train his replacement as a tribute for his years of dedicated service to the police force. I like that sort of thinking.

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:29:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boxing accident. After sparring I shadow boxed in the corner. While doing this I turned and threw a jab...
...I underestimated the reach of my jab.

Candidate for the Darwin Awards

Good news is that the wall was wooden and gave a little, and I didn't feel any pain at all for almost half an hour. Thought I was OK. But when I did start to feel it, oh boy!

First and second Metacarpals are fractured, and the Carpals were slightly relocated. Fingers are fine.

Did you at least get a TKO on the wall?

No, but there's a small dent. Does that count?

Hey Tree dude, I really hate it when that happens. I hate to hear about anything suffering. Or anyone. I'd help you if I could. Just know that you're in my thoughts. I'm sending healing vibrations your way.

HA! I thought I recognized your avatar! It is a small world!

Thanks for the vibes. I'm not suffering, though, I was being an idiot. I'm not even any good at boxing, I just do it to stay in shape and keep my spirits up.

A number of years ago I was in a training class with a guy who was a serious martial artist and had (his word) "excelled" at Muay Thai at one point. He was working in personal protection and was in fantastic shape. As part of his every-morning workout he used a heavy punching bag filled with sand (as usual) but with something extra. In a few spots, making them hard to locate while the bag was jumping around from being hit, he placed 2x4s right against the outside of the bag (but on the inside, held firm by the sand). That way, when he hit one if his punch was not in good form it would hurt like a mother. If he hit it correctly I figure it still hurt, but would also condition his fist. Yes, he was doing that bare-handed.

One of the drills I partnered with him on had to do with knocking away incoming strikes. When I was feeding strikes for him to parry his contact was not like the other guys. Aside from being lightning quick, when he struck it was like being smacked with a steel bar.

So work the wall into your routine! [:D]

PS: Glad it wasn't any worse.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:29:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Really! I've never heard that. Must be different up here.

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of local advocacy campaigning is different in different places.

This is true.

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:35:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not at all. My opinion is that that's the way it should be. We have a local fund drive for a replacment for a local police dog that's retiring. The fund is to find and train his replacement as a tribute for his years of dedicated service to the police force. I like that sort of thinking.

That's totally different, and BTW I like that too. The advocacy group thing associated with police powers is bad, IMO. They are even called (as Steve noted) "SPCA Police" or some such. Call them "Animal Control" or "Animal Cruelty Prevention" or some such, but don't present the specter of a political advocacy group with police powers, that's my point. It would not prevent donations, involvement of any qualified personnel, etc.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:37:05 PM)

Man, I wish I had access to my "PETA Dish" picture that is saved at home! [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:46:26 PM)

quote:

don't present the specter of a political advocacy group with police powers, that's my point.

Well I totally agree with you here.

I do think there is a role for dedicated Animal Cruelty police per se in some jurisdictions. Some areas (particularly urban areas that are well known for their dog fighting arenas) have more than enough animal welfare / illegal gambling / cruelty issues for dedicated "Animal Cops". But these should be police personnel dedicated to (and trained for) animal issues rather than NGOs empowered by the government with police powers. I think we're saying the same thing.

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:52:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's totally different, and BTW I like that too. The advocacy group thing associated with police powers is bad, IMO. They are even called (as Steve noted) "SPCA Police" or some such. Call them "Animal Control" or "Animal Cruelty Prevention" or some such, but don't present the specter of a political advocacy group with police powers, that's my point. It would not prevent donations, involvement of any qualified personnel, etc.

I'm guessing that SPCA requires as the price of funding , the name as recognition, to aid in donations. They can say "we funded this". And prevent some low grade hack of a politician from taking the money and claiming he did it. BTW , did I mention that the police cruiser that was donated had a small strip on the rear fender that said "donated by XXX dealership". You are right that some people are uncomfortable with a private name being involved. But in many places in this country many people are concerned that government must do everything that's good for the public. A good charitable organization ensuring that it receives the credit it's do , versus that same organization getting screwed so that some politician can steal the credit? That's a tough one. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing every single highway , road, school and public privy (if you can find one) being used as a monument to a politician, so I'm not all that offended by a NGO recieving credit for what it does. Which btw , included blame if it fails. By the same standard, public buses and transportation should not carry advertising. Good luck on changing that. [:D]

And let's not forget that both fire departments and police departments began as PRIVATE organizations. For that matter , so did libraries. Many public institutions are either private corporations that are contracted for services by municipal , state or federal entities. Or a combination of both. Like hospitals . I'd much rather allow a charitable organization to take credit , than a for profit company. [:)]

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:54:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

don't present the specter of a political advocacy group with police powers, that's my point.

I do think there is a role for dedicated Animal Cruelty police per se in some jurisdictions. Some areas (particularly urban areas that are well known for their dog fighting arenas) have more than enough animal welfare / illegal gambling / cruelty issues for dedicated "Animal Cops". But these should be police personnel dedicated to (and trained for) animal issues rather than NGOs empowered by the government with police powers. I think we're saying the same thing.

I've never seen the SPCA endorse a candidate. PETA and other yes. Political action makes all the difference.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 4:57:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've never seen the SPCA endorse a candidate. PETA and other yes. Political action makes all the difference.

You're right. I've not seen SPCA do that either. But they walk a fine line at times, at the risk of biting the hand that feeds them.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 5:29:12 PM)

Evening tithe. National Day celebrations winding down.

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 6:08:47 PM)

quote:

I've never heard that the SPCA was against hunting. My mom and friends started the chapter up here about 35 years ago. Do you mean PETA? I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals.[:)]

Found this for you.

quote:

Hunting

The ASPCA is opposed to hunting animals for sport, even if the animals killed in this way are subsequently consumed. The ASPCA does recognize that wildlife management may be necessary in situations where animal and human interests collide, but urges that management strategies be nonlethal wherever possible and never include avoidable suffering or distress.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 6:10:46 PM)

Reading season is finally over, albeit it went into overtime. Just finished Samuel E. Morison's 'The History of United States Naval Operations in World War II'. Great series of books. Excellent references for planning amphibious operations in Witp-AE. And now it's time for four months of good outside weather.[8D]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 6:13:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

I've never heard that the SPCA was against hunting. My mom and friends started the chapter up here about 35 years ago. Do you mean PETA? I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals.[:)]

Found this for you.

quote:

Hunting

The ASPCA is opposed to hunting animals for sport, even if the animals killed in this way are subsequently consumed. The ASPCA does recognize that wildlife management may be necessary in situations where animal and human interests collide, but urges that management strategies be nonlethal wherever possible and never include avoidable suffering or distress.

Oh boy, I'd just love to see them exercise that opinion up here.[sm=00000613.gif] Might be hazardous to thier health.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 6:16:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

Found this for you.

quote:

Hunting

That's the ASPCA, a national body not the local SPCAs. Local SPCA organizations don't necessarily take their 'marching orders' from the ASPCA, which does tend to stray into the political arena. Don't get confused by the alphabet soup. There's also the WPCA, which is unaffiliated to either of the above.

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 6:55:41 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Found this for you.

quote:

Hunting

That's the ASPCA, a national body not the local SPCAs. Local SPCA organizations don't necessarily take their 'marching orders' from the ASPCA, which does tend to stray into the political arena. Don't get confused by the alphabet soup. There's also the WPCA, which is unaffiliated to either of the above.

It's my understanding that local SPCA chapters are part of the ASPCA (or the Canadian SPCA, etc.). I do believe/agree that local chapters will often have a different take on some things regardless of the parent org's positions.

Never heard of WPCA. Is that a Wicken outfit? [:'(] [:D]

Treetop64 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 7:02:40 PM)

quote:

A number of years ago I was in a training class with a guy who was a serious martial artist and had (his word) "excelled" at Muay Thai at one point. He was working in personal protection and was in fantastic shape. As part of his every-morning workout he used a heavy punching bag filled with sand (as usual) but with something extra. In a few spots, making them hard to locate while the bag was jumping around from being hit, he placed 2x4s right against the outside of the bag (but on the inside, held firm by the sand). That way, when he hit one if his punch was not in good form it would hurt like a mother. If he hit it correctly I figure it still hurt, but would also condition his fist. Yes, he was doing that bare-handed.

One of the drills I partnered with him on had to do with knocking away incoming strikes. When I was feeding strikes for him to parry his contact was not like the other guys. Aside from being lightning quick, when he struck it was like being smacked with a steel bar.

So work the wall into your routine! [:D]

PS: Glad it wasn't any worse.

I've seen guys do that before. That's hard-core.
It's not that unusual to train by hitting solid objects (held by someone or, like you said, suspended while in a bag, as to at least have some give when it's struck - not like a wall!). You're right; one is quickly reminded of his form - or lack thereof - when hitting something, and it doesn't even have to be solid. Even when using correct form it can still hurt to strike something bare-fisted, but if you go in not properly firmed up, injuries result.

Muay Thai - and other forms of Indochinese kickboxing for that matter - are for gluttons of extreme pain and punishment, and to have someone like your trainer "excel" at it, well, what can you say? I have nothing but the highest admiration for these guys.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 8:03:39 PM)

So, yeah...

[image]local://upfiles/16369/6F6A76DDB9E846A3A6BE6524B3BF9452.jpg[/image]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/6/2012 11:15:55 PM)

Nightie night.[:'(]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 1:44:28 AM)

Good night friends.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 2:21:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Good night friends.

Ummm...Viking dude? Puppy pictures please?

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 2:24:14 AM)

Oops...where are my manners? Congratulations on your Eurovision 2012 win, Viking dude! The Swedes must be very proud. [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/FCC54EC3D3034EB5AC114E6C2F795B93.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 2:28:52 AM)

Oh, what the hey...

Since you've been away for so long, Per, we haven't had a chance to grill you about the Swedish Army's breast implant policy for those 'less developed' recruits. Please do tell. [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/9134C6DBC19249BAA10B0FE40C0BBAD0.jpg[/image]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 10:11:05 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 11:46:13 AM)

Mid day tithe.

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 11:52:56 AM)

Hi all,

Public holiday here today...

Leo "Apollo11"

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (6/7/2012 11:58:11 AM)

Andre;

#1 Only recieved one more picture so far, see below. It's with mommy keeping tabs on the offspring pile.

#2 ESC; The newsies and other people seem to care far too much about that competition, so I guess there's more than a grain of truth in the comic. Wish I could say otherwise, but ... :-/

#3 Breast implant policy? Never heard about it. If we have one, it's certainly not been any big news piece here.

[image]local://upfiles/18375/A8E65972520E4855AC881C79CE364467.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI