RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Schlemiel -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/5/2012 1:34:51 PM)

Shipping fuel from Abadan to Karachi is almost trivially easy, so Indian HI is quite easy to feed.

Hanzberger -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/5/2012 2:40:10 PM)

I feel like I know the game, but at times I feel like a total noob. I still don't see why the IJP feels the need to go for this Northern route towards Sian right away. I understand the cut-off aspect but it's tough terrain to fight through and your supply line via land is already open.
Still would like to see a shot of W. China, IMO this is where you should be fighting.
Tojo will make a nice addition, shouldn't you be getting the Helen also? And if playing Scen 2, I am assuming that you will have multiple factories of these. Assuming again, you will instantly convert some to the next model and keeping some for now. If keeping some for now I would still try to bomb his Oil and Hi centers in NOPAC with the additional planes and groups. This could have huge implications on the entire game and I don't think he would be able to keep up with the attrition at this point, but you are running out of time.
BANZAI [sm=00000028.gif]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/5/2012 6:33:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

I feel like I know the game, but at times I feel like a total noob. I still don't see why the IJP feels the need to go for this Northern route towards Sian right away. I understand the cut-off aspect but it's tough terrain to fight through and your supply line via land is already open.

Im trying to cut off center China from all external supply sources, after that, I will start attacking for real.

It is very hard/impossible to just mass the Japanese army into a huge stack and try to take the Chinese bases one by one. You would be fighting several hundred thousand troops behind lvl 4 forts all the time...or worse.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/5/2012 8:45:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

Oh...that was somewhat unexpected.

Is there any reason to go after the HI anyway? Im thinking supply production, but on the other hand, there isnt enough fuel in India anyway to use all those HI, right?

Supply from the Calcutta metroplex is useful in-theater, but the real bag is excess HI points to be banked for late-war. You won't affect Allied supplies or HI production to any meaningful measure due to the dominance of Bombay and the rest of the west coast industry and the ease of getting fuel into Karachi from where it flows where it must.

In other AARs I believe Calcutta has been supplied with needed Fuel from the Sabang/Medan complex, but in those cases I believe Ceylon was already neutralized. Perhaps Q-Ball's game with CR had more details; I don't recall, or recall if you're prohibited from reading of CR's old games.

I believe Calcutta's region and terrain modifiers make it an excellent anchor for a sub-theater center of gravity. If you plan to progress past there on the ground I would again invite you to read Q-Ball's AAR where he details how much he brought to the party in order to roll to the gates of Karachi.

You might also examine Calcutta's potential role in attriting British, Aussie (maybe) and Indian device pools so they can't be used somewhere else, such as Singers. This of course if CR offers combat there or near there.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/6/2012 10:28:29 PM)

I am not sure I can take Calcutta against a real defence. I only have 2k AV in India, and I hesitate to bring more. Another 800 are at or enroute to Port Blair to clear that island out but after that I would rather use them to capture Singapore instead of risk getting dragged into some form of trench warfare at the far end of a shoestring supply line.

I think this Indian endevour will be the last offensive operation outside China for me for a while. From here on, we will start digging in.

desicat -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/6/2012 11:10:50 PM)

Have your found a place where you are planning on getting into a land based air battle of attrition to wear down his air forces, ie.. airframes and pilots (an advantage in Scenario 2 for Japan)?

PaxMondo -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 5:42:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Oh...that was somewhat unexpected.

Is there any reason to go after the HI anyway? Im thinking supply production, but on the other hand, there isnt enough fuel in India anyway to use all those HI, right?

Supply from the Calcutta metroplex is useful in-theater, but the real bag is excess HI points to be banked for late-war. You won't affect Allied supplies or HI production to any meaningful measure due to the dominance of Bombay and the rest of the west coast industry and the ease of getting fuel into Karachi from where it flows where it must.

In other AARs I believe Calcutta has been supplied with needed Fuel from the Sabang/Medan complex, but in those cases I believe Ceylon was already neutralized. Perhaps Q-Ball's game with CR had more details; I don't recall, or recall if you're prohibited from reading of CR's old games.

I believe Calcutta's region and terrain modifiers make it an excellent anchor for a sub-theater center of gravity. If you plan to progress past there on the ground I would again invite you to read Q-Ball's AAR where he details how much he brought to the party in order to roll to the gates of Karachi.

You might also examine Calcutta's potential role in attriting British, Aussie (maybe) and Indian device pools so they can't be used somewhere else, such as Singers. This of course if CR offers combat there or near there.

And read rader's AAR against GJ. He got a lot of HI out of India as he also captured a lot of fuel.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 3:17:12 PM)

Looks like Canoe might be trying a counterattack in central China.

Im not really sure how this will end. I have almost 2k AV in the hex he is attacking, behind lvl 2 forts. On the other hand there really is no telling how many corps he is sending across that river. Being a river crossing, they will automatically shock attack too.

This could be a real game changer, either way. If he wins, he will have broken through the southern defences and there really is no stopping the avalanche of troops he can launch at me. If I win, he will have crippled his defences in this sector for a very long time.

Perhaps it is time to leave a blocking force at Nanyang, forget Siam for now, and move those 5k AV to the center. Im not sure. The attack could come tomorrow, or else the day after.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/1DAAD5E32F4E40F091262D0BC4B6D5C7.jpg[/image]

Also, the USMC went into action in India. The 8th Marines were defeated by Jap paras in northern India.

Ground combat at 59,37 (near Tezpur)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 4114 troops, 94 guns, 45 vehicles, Assault Value = 143

Defending force 1316 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 63

Allied adjusted assault: 13

Japanese adjusted defense: 151

Allied assault odds: 1 to 11

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
115 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
308 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 44 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
8th Marine Regiment

Defending units:
Yokosuka Assault SNLF

ny59giants -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 4:02:24 PM)

Double check the quality of your leaders in China which may be attacked. Then, I would let it play out. If he comes across with not enough, you can quickly counterattack his troops and destroy lots of Chinese squads. The Chinese have very few good leaders, so they will hurt him.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 5:46:39 PM)

No attack today. IJAAF sortied and disabled 40-50 infantry squads. Leaders have been checked and replaced, all are in the mid-70s. I think the odds favour the Japs here, but on the other hand, he can throw 4-5k AV at my troops if he wants to.

I did a successful ambush over Canada a couple of days ago. I had moved in my first Ki45 unit, and together with 40 Zeros they ambushed the US heavies doing milk runs over one of my bases. My Ki45 unit got 5 kills. B-17Es and LB-30s. That is an amazing result for any Jap airunit at any point in the war.

The last Dutch defenders of Java capitulated today. That frees up another 500 AV to be used elsewhere. Not sure where they will go yet.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 7:34:01 PM)

40th Brigade from Java will help clear out the rest of Sumatra. 56th Division is about 4 days out from Port Blair.

We will order another attack at Bataan today, I think the base will fall this, or the next attack.

I think he lost his nerve in China, that stack is heading somewhere else now.

2nd Division cleared out the last defenders in Alaska, the area is now secure. 2nd Div will start preparing for defensive operations.

Dacca should fall tomorrow, Canoe seems not to be defending in this area.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 7:34:59 PM)

Just two days left of the amphib bonus, I wonder if Canoe is waiting for that day to come...

zuluhour -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 8:53:00 PM)

My calculation is 5,166 unadjusted AV or enough to not shock attack. Support squads are only 1/10 an AV and are included in the total here as one. I would imagine his supply to be 75% there so he would get a .8 mult for that to. So I think his adjusted AV to be around 3900. Something says to me he will not be forced to shock attack.

newb 2cent

something I found very usefull from Alfred.
There are several variables which modify unadjusted assault values. Two of the key ones are how much supply the unit has on hand organically and the fort level of the unit.

Unit Supply

a unit with 100% supply has its unadjusted assault value multiplied by 1
a unit with 75% supply is multiplied by 0.8
a unit with 50% supply is multiplied by 0.6
a unit with 25% supply is multiplied by 0.4
a unit with zero supply is multiplied by 0.25

Fortification Level

fort level 0 = 1x unadjusted assault value
fort level 1 = 1.1x
fort level 2 = 1.25x
fort level 3 = 1.5x
fort level 4 = 1.75x
fort level 5 = 2x
fort level 6 = 2.25x
fort level 7 = 2.5x
fort level 8 = 2.75x
fort level 9 = 3x

The divide by 30 rule only gives you an idea of the enemy's unadjusted assault value. I'm not so certain that you have to match that estimate, which is before modifiers and the effect of the fire phase in combat, with a close estimate of your own adjusted assault value.

Alfred

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/7/2012 9:46:59 PM)

Yeah, that is useful. Thanks.

Bataan failed, so now we wait for another couple of days. I have 16th Army HQ marching through the Jungle to help with their support troops. By the looks of things, the defenders will not last much longer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Bataan (78,77)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 34335 troops, 452 guns, 278 vehicles, Assault Value = 854

Defending force 31833 troops, 524 guns, 361 vehicles, Assault Value = 468

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 326

Allied adjusted defense: 337

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1688 casualties reported
Squads: 27 destroyed, 80 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 26 disabled
Vehicles lost 23 (4 destroyed, 19 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
745 casualties reported
Squads: 76 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 44 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 29 (10 destroyed, 19 disabled)

Assaulting units:
10th Garrison Unit
11th Garrison Unit
16th Division
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
2nd Mortar Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
21st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
31st PA Infantry Division
4th Marine Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
11th PA Infantry Division
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
2nd PA Constblry HW Regiment
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
Provisional GMC Grp
Manila Bay Defenses
Far East USAAF
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
301st Construction Battalion
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
1st USMC AA Battalion
192nd Tank Battalion
USAFFE
202nd PA Construction Battalion
201st PA Construction Battalion
Cavite USN Base Force
4th PA Constabulary Regiment
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
1st PI Base Force
Bataan USN Base Force
Asiatic Fleet
91st PA Infantry Division
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 10:57:57 AM)

April 1st 1942

Nothing special to report.
The 8th Marines repulsed an attack by the 5th Division in northern India. Manuevering continuing in China. Japanese forces are slowly going over to a defensive stance on most places of the map. Time to plan the defence of central and north pacific. KB will re-unite in Tokyo as soon as Port Blair falls. After that, the defence of the supply-lines to northern India will be taken over by land-based air and surface combat forces. KB will prepare for action in the north pacific.

Helens move into production, I will switch all bomber production to Helens, which should improve the state of the IJAAF. Tojos are close to 30% R&D with 40-something R&D-factories in operation, and another 50 repairing. As soon as the Tojos come online, all army airunits will upgrade, and then the attrition battles will begin. Im aiming at producing 200 Tojos/month from May and forward. Next research will focus on the N1K1 George.

Here is a picture of the submarine picket line that will hopefully alert me if something is about to happen in the India-region.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/B60CE8407FB2436589F4B07787C4FCA5.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 3:49:38 PM)

April starts bad.

CL Helena raids Port Moresby, and for some reason my SCTF just sits and watches as the US ships tear two convoys apart. Mostly empty ships, but the loss of 10-something xAKs is very annoying.

At Port Hedland a Jap CL tangles with the Boise and the result is a draw with very little damage inflicted.

Two successful attacks in China, we capture Yenan, and we are pushing back two Chinese corps just outside Changsa. While we failed to reach 350 killed squads last month, this month starts ok with 110 killed chinese squads.

8th USMC Rgt is beaten back in India, taking heavy losses. That unit should be out of the fight for a good while now. Our troops pursuit the Marines towards Tezpur.

khyberbill -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 4:59:08 PM)

quote:

Here is a picture of the submarine picket line that will hopefully alert me if something is about to happen in the India-region.

Submarine picket lines are not well known for siting much of anything unless you have a few there with float planes.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 5:27:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Submarine picket lines are not well known for siting much of anything unless you have a few there with float planes.

I disagree, the detection level of the subs gives enough information to know something is in the area.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 5:29:21 PM)

2nd April
Another 150 Chinese squads dead, meaning we are only 100 from the monthly target. Other than that, nothing much. 56th arrived at Pt Blair and will attack tomorrow together with the 38th. Attack on Bataan is coming up in a couple of days.

The units in Java head to Rabaul. Time to shore up the defences in the south.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/8/2012 9:26:15 PM)

3rd April

Port Blair falls. Troops redeploy to Singapore.
Tojo research now at 28% and 85 R&D factories online.

Another go at Bataan tomorrow.

1EyedJacks -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 4:55:05 AM)

Regarding your picket line:

Have you considered placing then every other hex with reaction @ one? and maybe every other sub with a Glen?

I think you could cover roughly the same area 2 deep like a checkerboard and get better results...

crsutton -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 6:17:39 AM)

quote:

April starts bad.

CL Helena raids Port Moresby, and for some reason my SCTF just sits and watches as the US ships tear two convoys apart. Mostly empty ships, but the loss of 10-something xAKs is very annoying.

At Port Hedland a Jap CL tangles with the Boise and the result is a draw with very little damage inflicted.

Two successful attacks in China, we capture Yenan, and we are pushing back two Chinese corps just outside Changsa. While we failed to reach 350 killed squads last month, this month starts ok with 110 killed chinese squads.

8th USMC Rgt is beaten back in India, taking heavy losses. That unit should be out of the fight for a good while now. Our troops pursuit the Marines towards Tezpur.

Actually, if you take Changsha and Sian the supply situation becomes so dire that the Chinese units stop taking replacements. It got to the point where I had over 1,000 squads in my pools.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 10:08:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Have you considered placing then every other hex with reaction @ one? and maybe every other sub with a Glen?

I think you could cover roughly the same area 2 deep like a checkerboard and get better results...

Good idea, and it would make it almost watertight. But I have almost all my Glen subs in the pacific.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 3:28:18 PM)

April 7th
CL Boise is sunk off Port Hedland. After a night engagement against CA Haguro, Boise was retreating west when Kates from Zuiho caught her.
Bataan survives yet another assault, unmodified AV for the yanks is now down to 200, and we will attack again tomorrow, despite heavy fatigue and disruption.

Crackaces -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 3:28:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

Good idea, and it would make it almost watertight. But I have almost all my Glen subs in the pacific.

That does bring in another factor-- agression. The current deployment, with I assume some vertical movement to sweep the area like a "boy scout search", will test only Naval skill and a random die roll if the two objects meet in a 46 mile hex. The suggested configuration does brings into play a 'or' equation meaning if 'a' reacts or 'b' reacts we get a contact ... It has been my antidotal experince playing agasint the scripts to learn the game that the checkerbaord configuration does rely on Glens since the IJ subs do not have RADAR like the Allies after April 42 to get the naval reaction algorithum in play ... . ... Just my .02 ...

It has been a very exciting and unique game so far!

witpqs -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 3:55:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

That does bring in another factor-- agression. The current deployment, with I assume some vertical movement to sweep the area like a "boy scout search", will test only Naval skill and a random die roll if the two objects meet in a 46 mile hex. The suggested configuration does brings into play a 'or' equation meaning if 'a' reacts or 'b' reacts we get a contact ... It has been my antidotal experince playing agasint the scripts to learn the game that the checkerbaord configuration does rely on Glens since the IJ subs do not have RADAR like the Allies after April 42 to get the naval reaction algorithum in play ... . ... Just my .02 ...

One thing that was confirmed a long time ago by the developers and I've never seen contradicted by experience:

Setting a TF to "Remain on Station" also wipes out any "React" setting. In other words it makes React = 0 because you are telling the TF to stay in the hex it is ordered to.

If you want React to work then you must use either "Retirement Allowed" or give ti a "Patrol" setting. Even a Patrol area of a single hex works fine (I mean technically works fine, I am not recommending any specific patrol setting).

You didn't specify if they are set to Remain on Station or on Patrol so I thought I would point out that issue.

1EyedJacks -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 4:03:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

One thing that was confirmed a long time ago by the developers and I've never seen contradicted by experience:

Setting a TF to "Remain on Station" also wipes out any "React" setting. In other words it makes React = 0 because you are telling the TF to stay in the hex it is ordered to.

If you want React to work then you must use either "Retirement Allowed" or give ti a "Patrol" setting. Even a Patrol area of a single hex works fine (I mean technically works fine, I am not recommending any specific patrol setting).

You didn't specify if they are set to Remain on Station or on Patrol so I thought I would point out that issue.

I'm away from home right now but I thought reaction played off of detection level. If an enemy TF tries to push through the checkerboard the Glens or other subs have a chance of detecting the enemy TF. As detection levels increase and based on some roll(s) of the dice, ships in the area can "react" to the enemy presence and attempt an intercept.

witpqs -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 4:24:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm away from home right now but I thought reaction played off of detection level. If an enemy TF tries to push through the checkerboard the Glens or other subs have a chance of detecting the enemy TF. As detection levels increase and based on some roll(s) of the dice, ships in the area can "react" to the enemy presence and attempt an intercept.

Apples and concrete. AFAIK what you wrote is correct. What I wrote is that setting "Remain on Station" orders the TF not to react (confirmed by developers more than once and borne out in practice).

So if the TF is close by and there is a good D/L on a target TF, you get the TF commander sitting there as the target goes by thinking "I hope Admiral Dumbbell knows what he is doing!"

1EyedJacks -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 5:37:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Apples and concrete. AFAIK what you wrote is correct. What I wrote is that setting "Remain on Station" orders the TF not to react (confirmed by developers more than once and borne out in practice).

So if the TF is close by and there is a good D/L on a target TF, you get the TF commander sitting there as the target goes by thinking "I hope Admiral Dumbbell knows what he is doing!"

Ahhh - I C what U're saying - thanx 4 explaining. Can you get by this problem by setting a patrol of the same hex for either two or all three patrol locations?

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (8/9/2012 5:59:16 PM)

Amazingly Bataan survives yet another day. Im standing down my units for a couple of days now. Tojo research is approaching 40%.

Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI