RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/22/2012 9:34:10 AM)

December 17th

Nothing much to report.

Wake falls. Our paratroopers in Burma defeat another attack.

Some routine sweeps over Manila.

We are moving into position for an invasion of Ambon. Its a bit scary to continue with this invasion knowing that Boise/Houston is in the area and lord knows where Force Z is right now... But I have one CVL and two CVEs together with 4 BBs and a handful of other combat ships. I really cannot wait for better aircover and I really cant say I need more surface cover with 4BBs already here.

Around Singapore/Palembang things are quiet right now. My ships have returned to Cam Rahn Bay to refuel and replenish ammo. Singapore is more or less neutralized so I think I own the SLOCs between Saigon and Palembang right now. There are several SCTFs of mine patrolling between Sumatra and Borneo so I dont think there will be any raids into my waters up here.

The march down Malaya is slow but steady. Cannot advance faster than the troops can march. The troops should arrive at Singapore in mid/late-January. Unless I can pull off a surprise, we shall see. It depends on how the battle for Burma is going.

I have a full division on Mindanao. After the two holdouts are taken, the division will attack Balikpapan/Tarakan. The surface ships at Cam Rahn Bay will provide surface protection for this operation.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/2D5F5657AD6C4015BA970D88ACB2D13E.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/22/2012 11:06:27 AM)

China

I know many people have asked for my China strategy, but it is too early to talk about the offensive plans for China since they will depend heavily on what sort of defense Canoerebel is planning.

Most allied players focus alot on the Changsa-region with the central core of 4 bases. Together with Sian and Kweilin/Kweiyang the three areas form a sort of "main defensive line". That is all fine and well, but China is all about logistics and supply.

On its most basic level, China is about supply and manpower, the focus of any jap strategy must be the 350 squads per mont they recieve as replacements. Killing more than 350 squads per month means the chinese army is decreasing, killing less means the chinese army is growing. And a growing chinese army is never a good thing for the japs. Same with fortifications. Having to defeat 2000 AV in a single hex is bad. Having to defeat 2000 AV behind lvl 5 forts is a nightmare.

So, during the first months of the war, while Im waiting for the chinese defensive line to form, my goal is to kill more than 350 chinese squads per month and via airattacks keep the bases supressed so they cannot build too high fort levels.

obvert -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/22/2012 11:17:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

China

I know many people have asked for my China strategy, but it is too early to talk about the offensive plans for China since they will depend heavily on what sort of defense Canoerebel is planning.

Most allied players focus alot on the Changsa-region with the central core of 4 bases. Together with Sian and Kweilin/Kweiyang the three areas form a sort of "main defensive line". That is all fine and well, but China is all about logistics and supply.

On its most basic level, China is about supply and manpower, the focus of any jap strategy must be the 350 squads per mont they recieve as replacements. Killing more than 350 squads per month means the chinese army is decreasing, killing less means the chinese army is growing. And a growing chinese army is never a good thing for the japs. Same with fortifications. Having to defeat 2000 AV in a single hex is bad. Having to defeat 2000 AV behind lvl 5 forts is a nightmare.

So, during the first months of the war, while Im waiting for the chinese defensive line to form, my goal is to kill more than 350 chinese squads per month and via airattacks keep the bases supressed so they cannot build too high fort levels.

I agree. Too many options for the defender to know where you're going yet. That said, any drive to get up the road to Sian early will help as troops in those woods building forts are also a nightmare that the IJAAF can't suppress. Anything to the south in the plains is meat if he tries to defend it and can be contained and taken later if necessary.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/22/2012 11:19:38 AM)

Here is a list I have written down to keep in the back of my head during the first 4 months of gameplay.

Yorktown - Jan 1942
Hornet - March 1942
Wasp - July 1942

Long Island - May 1942

Indomitable - Dec 1942
Formidable - Feb 1942
Illustrious - Apr 1942

New Mexico - Jan 1942
Idaho - Jan 1942
Mississippi - Feb 1942
North Carolina - Jun 1942

Royal Sovereign - Jan 1942
Reolution - Feb 1942
Revenge - Feb 1942
Ramilles - Feb 1942

Chinese build 350 Squads per month + 40 cav squads

PaxMondo -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/22/2012 11:34:29 AM)

Killing the 350 CHI squads is setting the bar too low in '42 IMO.  Parity isn't good enough.  Granted, you need to be flexible in your axis of attack, but removing CHI from the war by mid-43 is a really good and mostly achievable goal.  It secures a flank and frees up so many units for IJ and its defense in 44/45 that this is a tough strategy to pass up.

I know that many here have declared this an undoable strategy IRL.  I've never been overly convinced.  I think too much emphasis has been made on the logistics and far too little on the politics of the era.  But I digress, since you have no HR against it, I would go for China as a solid strategy to carry the war into '46.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 9:00:00 AM)

December 19th

I thought Id go over the fronts, one by one.

Here is the situation in the lower NEI. Ambon just fell to the 4th Division, I will bring in airunits to provide cover for the next step ahead. 4BBs and the mini-KB is in this area to provide surface cover.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/7D3D10DA55A54904BB3084C46DC1F270.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 9:07:59 AM)

Mindanao

16th Division has just cleared most of the remaining pockets of resistance. Just some mopping up left, and then the division will move on to Borneo.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/AA59C187B66B4DD09246D79BF071A408.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 9:54:42 AM)

PI

I have about 1700 AV in this theater. Probably not enough to capture Clark, but should be enough to lock the defenders in place.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/B7313B9804B44B1E9E25070590E8DBAD.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 9:58:07 AM)

Malaya
Roughly 2000 AV in this theater. Most are in strat mode at Alor Star waiting for the railline to open. About 250 AV down at Mersing cutting the railline for retreating British units.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/626CE44C41474405A5E548ECB16623F9.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:01:39 AM)

Upper NEI

About 500 AV in this theater. Air HQ in place at Palembang, and an initial landing on Java, just to stir the pot. I will use fighters from Palembang to sweep the skies above Batavia and the Jap landings, I hope this will force the Dutch airforce to fight. I will try to reinforce the landings, and also drop another SNLF at Merak soon. I hope to use small units like this to avoid a Normandy-style landing in a couple of weeks that might be faced with both Force Z and US/RN Carriers.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/6E47A40FA9FD47B2BEEB6C9FB2ED1F1C.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:04:59 AM)

Burma

Still not decided whether that paradrop is our Arnhem or our Crete. We have over 100 AV on the ground right now, but supply is low. As you can see the land forces are far far away and will not be a factor in that battle for at least a month.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/E56877B5F45747BF883F630DDD3658E3.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:11:32 AM)

Northern Pacific

As you can see I have heavy forces up here. Most of the 2nd Division are in the area together with KB and 2 BBs. Some might say this is a distraction, but I disagree.

Reasons
1) From his earlier AARs, Canoe likes this area. I think he sees this as his back yard, and also a stepping stone to the first counterattacks into Japanese held territory. I think this might lead to him being very agressive in his attempts at recapturing it. That means I can dictate a defensive fight on my terms in early-mid 42 in an area close to Japan. It is much better to have the battle of attrition here than around Guadalcanal.

2) I have already secured Palembang, the main objective in the NEI is already achieved. What remains now is to clear the SLOCs between Palembang and Japan. There is no hurry in that, I will clear the NEI and there is not much he can do about it in this stage of the war. I dont need the KB in the NEI right now. I will need the KB over there in a month or so when it is time to take Darwin and Port Moresby, but not now.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/B731847615AD407FBB46F315B815099D.jpg[/image]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:16:22 AM)

Rabaul/Port Moresby

Here is the unwanted stepchild of my plans. As you can see, there is not much going on here. It is a result of the KB being up north. I simply do not dare send troop convoys to this area. The US CVs are probably in this area, together with large surface forces no doubt. So, we will wait for a while down here. I might send in a few ships to try to take some bases just for show.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/C71C6AF86C9343259AD6584B5EC9F995.jpg[/image]

Captain Cruft -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:33:48 AM)

I like it.

obvert -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 10:40:15 AM)

Any idea of going all of the way to Kodiak? With a division it seems like you could pick it up fairly easily at this point as long as there is not much air power up there yet. Maybe after the winter rules are up.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 12:33:37 PM)

Ive been thinking about Kodiak, but if I go all the way there, I might aswell go for Anchorage too. Kodiak is a single base inside range from 3 or more US bases around Anchorage. It seems Im just setting myself up for being on the recieving end of countless of B17 runs.

Ive been looking at the Aleutians trying to figure out where a good place to stop is. Any ideas?

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 12:54:31 PM)

Ive been wondering over the lack of RAF airpower over Burma, so I decided to look a couple of things up.

I have attached an image of total airlosses so far.

[image]local://upfiles/1562/C538FB04C47C444A8AC449FDB49B916D.jpg[/image]

Now, compare the RAF losses with the on map forces at game start:

Buffalo I
100 on map at game start + 39 in pool

H81A3
80 on map + 18 in pool

B339
25 on map + 15 in pool

75A7 Hawk
13 on map

CW21B Demon
17 on map + 4 in pool

So, if these numbers are correct, there are about 30 Buffalo Is left on the entire map for the RAF. No doubt some of these are damaged. Pilot morale must be in shambles aswell with the entire on map airforce wiped out.

Another interesting thing is that the AVG can still field over 50 fighters. I have not seen the last of them in other words. One unit of the AVG is confirmed in Singapore. Another one was seen in China. I suspect the third one is around Mandalay.

But, the important thing to take from all this is that the RAF is in very dire straits right now and for the rest of December they will not be a factor. I think the Hurricanes start appearing in January 42.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 1:03:07 PM)

Forgot the reinforcements
16 Hurricane IIb arrive at Cape Town on the 19th of December
Then from mid-januari alot of Hurricanes start appearing in Aden.

obvert -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 2:35:12 PM)

quote:

Ive been thinking about Kodiak, but if I go all the way there, I might aswell go for Anchorage too. Kodiak is a single base inside range from 3 or more US bases around Anchorage. It seems Im just setting myself up for being on the recieving end of countless of B17 runs.

Ive been looking at the Aleutians trying to figure out where a good place to stop is. Any ideas?

Cold Bay is so far my stopping point. All bases that are useful behind that have been garrisoned and forts built. Some fields. Obviously point invasions could take one but the idea is to bleed any Allied forces moving into the area, and I feel at this stopping point forces are concentrated enough and close enough to support throughout the chain that we can respond quickly and with force.

obvert -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 3:21:59 PM)

repeat --

PaxMondo -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 3:32:53 PM)

quote:

PH, I take Adak and stop. It builds up great and you only have to worry about Unmak which can get a good AF, but has lousy port and so hard to keep in supply. I like to put an AS, AD, and an AGP there. Then I can support pickets and keep a good number of subs up North on short legs. I might also stick a few AV + Jakes up there going east from Adak (Unmak, etc) just as trip wires.

The only purpose for me is to deny the Northern route to the allies.

Also as you note, if the allies want to fight somewhere in '42, I like the Aleutians IF I have Adak. I'll have the best port/AF base in the area, close to HI. I can cycle Zekes through pretty easily so I can wear out his few 4E groups and his P-38's if he wants to commit them. I'll lose planes, but not pilots. He'll lose both. Gives me a free hand everywhere else. Mike (NYGiants58) thinks this is a mistake. Maybe he'll stop in and give his view why this is a bad move.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/25/2012 8:39:14 PM)

quote:

Take Juneau, and use Betties to bomb Seattle. Guaranteed to distract him from counter-moves in the NEI!

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 7:58:19 PM)

That is not a bad idea actually. Im pretty sure it would throw him off balance completely if I landed in mainland Alaska.

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 8:02:39 PM)

Since I have the 2nd Division up there already, perhaps I should press on into Alaska. I dont think he has much defence up there now, and since he knows the KB is in the area, I doubt he dares any reinforcement convoys. Does anyone know what starts in Anchorage?

Historiker -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 8:02:50 PM)

[:D]
Holy Crap!

I'd stop at Cold Bay. I plan to do that myself up there in my GC as Japan

BTW:
Horrible strike on PH! 25 TT hits on my BBs! [X(]

Hortlund -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 9:33:56 PM)

Im starting to like this idea. I have overwhelming naval and air superiority, and one division of infantry. Two of his CVs are way out of position, the other is unknown. He might have 2 BBs in the region too. Does anyone know where the Yorktown appears? I think she might arrive within a couple of weeks.

What starts at Anchorage? One regiment? Is there anything that possibly could oppose me?

Mundy -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 9:41:00 PM)

York shows up in San Diego.

Ed-

desicat -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 9:53:09 PM)

You not only have to consider what is on site but if any reinforcements (US and/or Canadian) would be triggered by landing on the Alaskan mainland.

ckammp -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/26/2012 11:31:32 PM)

quote:

Im starting to like this idea. I have overwhelming naval and air superiority, and one division of infantry. Two of his CVs are way out of position, the other is unknown. He might have 2 BBs in the region too. Does anyone know where the Yorktown appears? I think she might arrive within a couple of weeks.

What starts at Anchorage? One regiment? Is there anything that possibly could oppose me?

Initial OOB:

Dutch Harbor
1 x USN BF AV-10
1 x CD Bn 6 x 155mm guns

Kodiak
1 x Inf Rgt AV-100
1 x CE Bn AV-20
1 x USN BF AV-10

Seward
1 x Inf Bn AV-35
1 x CD Bn 6 x 155mm guns

Anchorage
1 x Inf Rgt AV-125
1 x FA Bn 6 x 155mm howitzers
1 x CD Bn 6 x 155mm guns
Air units: 20 x P-36A, 12 x B-18A

Juneau
1 x USN BF AV-0

Possible reinforcements:

Seattle/Tacoma
1 x US Inf Div (41st) AV-285(381 full strength) Temp. restricted
1 x Inf Bn AV-35 Temp. restricted
1 x Mtn Rgt AV-30 Temp. restricted
Air units: 13 x B-18A
Navy units: BB Colorado SYS damage-20/ENG damage-20, BB Warspite SYS damage-20, 4 x DD

Canada
1 x Inf Bde AV-100
3 x Inf Bn AV-30

Eastern US
Air units: 70 x p-39D, 40 x B-26

San Fransisco
Navy units: 9 x DD, 5 x SS

San Diego
Navy units: CV Saratoga, 1 x CL, 6 x DD, 6 x SS

Arriving units:
3 x Inf Rgt AV-125
Navy units: CV Yorktown (30 Dec, San Diego)

Captain Cruft -> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel (4/27/2012 1:57:34 AM)

There is nothing there to stop you except a small number of CD guns and the weather.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI