RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/16/2012 11:31:40 AM)

Not on defense.

Armor is also very tough to dislodge from swamps. And urban, for that matter.

If Pelton had any armor west of Smolensk to breach the Rhzev-Vyazma sector, Moscow would be in some trouble here. But the armor needed for that job is still up by Leningrad, presumably. (Or pounding its way through the Valdai.)

He's not going to take Leningrad I don't think. He would have been better off making an orthodox direct drive on Leningrad proper, the right hook turned into a fiasco for him and accomplished virtually nothing. Now he is behind schedule up north and in no immediate position to disengage and shift PG4 south, unless he's willing to write off Leningrad. So both Moscow and Leningrad are safe here in all likelihood.

He's going to take the Donbas with time to spare, though, that's just the way it is down south.

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/16/2012 1:34:52 PM)

Pelton has in his T13 pulled some Mech units from Leningrad and the Valdai (he has left 3 Pz and 4 Mot xx's at Leningrad) and they are now siting behind the lines between VL and Smolensk, maybe some or all have HQBU. I suspect this is where 2nd and 5th Pz will arrive on T14 as well. This forms a new and powerful Pz Gp on the direct line to Moscow. I will bring in more troops to this area. I may well hold out in Leningrad, fingers crossed. Moscow is a good chance as well. He only has 4 clear turns left now.

janh -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/16/2012 4:01:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
If Pelton had any armor west of Smolensk to breach the Rhzev-Vyazma sector, Moscow would be in some trouble here. But the armor needed for that job is still up by Leningrad, presumably. (Or pounding its way through the Valdai.)

He's not going to take Leningrad I don't think. He would have been better off making an orthodox direct drive on Leningrad proper, the right hook turned into a fiasco for him and accomplished virtually nothing. Now he is behind schedule up north and in no immediate position to disengage and shift PG4 south, unless he's willing to write off Leningrad. So both Moscow and Leningrad are safe here in all likelihood.

He's going to take the Donbas with time to spare, though, that's just the way it is down south.

Seems Pelton has adjusted towards a direct route to Leningrad now and given up his right hook. Fiasco pretty much nails hit, given the ready numbers of Panzers his Armored Divisions probably don' pack the punch anymore they benefit from at this late stage.

His mistake might offer you the opportunity to hold Leningrad. Your chances after this delay are pretty good, although given the number of units he brought up there, he still has a reasonable chance to bully his way in there. But he probably could clear much space towards the east, so maybe some hot blizzard battles might ensue if he tries to grab it?
How are the chances he pull some of this Panzers off and towards an autumn rush to Moscow? Your defenses look thin, and he must certainly note that from recon as well?

Zonso -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/16/2012 10:02:43 PM)

It doesn't seem enough credit is given to the masterful job (thus far) Michael T is doing against Pelton, one of the best German players period. Instead some are trying to downplay it? I can't recall such an AAR from two highly skilled players. Granted, I personally thinking pocketing is so much better than grinding but against certain Soviet players there is no other alternative but to slug it out as creating encirclements will not be possible. I am very interested in how the Soviets conduct their Blizzard offensive as simple numbers alone does not determine success. The tipping point in this game may very well not come until late summer 1942.

janh -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/17/2012 10:31:45 AM)

No question Michael is playing a skillful game, and it seems more and more that he might truly get to Berlin.

His stopping Pelton south of Illmen was conducted well: early with a decisive effort. Had he delayed with less effort, Pelton's hook might once again have succeeded. Yet had Pelton not made this effort or feinted it, but gone for LG directly instead, his AGN Panzer might now be well on the way to Rshev and LG occupied -- which Michael might have delayed, but not as skillfully bloodied Pelton's divisions in the Valdai hills. Much as Micheal plays an excellent campaign, much of this is also just possible because Pelton got to focused on a tactic that will only bear fruits when unexpected, but else would seem uneconomical and slow, and against a prepared player like Michael a clear mistake. Once Pelton chose that route, Michael outplayed him there, and skillfully, no question.

He did a Sir Robin where the situation and terrain did not favor or even allow forward fighting (like before Pskov or against AGS after Lvov), but chose to fight only on the terrain and in the situation of his choice. This in conjunction with the opportunity Pelton offered him has left him in much better shape than the typical game against an excellent Axis player. If he doesn't make it to Berlin know, I will be quite surprised. He has better chances now that everyone before, I guess.

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/17/2012 1:24:35 PM)

I don't see Berlin happening for a long while here. We'll see if Pelton can do anything in 1942. It's hard for the Red Army to work up any kind of head of steam before 43, even in games where the German does poorly in 41. Red Army 1.0 hasn't got the chops to do much outside of the blizzard (and I expect Pelton to get past that more or less intact, he knows how to manage a blizzard at this point), and version 2.0 doesn't kick in until 43.

Michael's done well and as I've already stated responded absolutely correctly to Pelton's present strategy. He wasn't afraid to go all in on Leningrad in direct response to Pelton's all in. My only criticism at this point is that Michael's c&c looks a bit too technicolor for my taste. Really don't like having all these fronts mixed up the way he's doing, at least up in the north. But this may come down to a matter of taste; I'm completely cool with overloading Front commands in 41-2 and maintaining Front integrity, and near as I can tell he very much dislikes overloading them and is being forced to mix commands in order to avoid that. My own view is that Front capacity will sort itself out over time and that it's perfectly ok to overload them with up to 5 armies. (But anything more than that is too much.)

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/19/2012 2:25:27 AM)

T14 Update.

AGN. The assault on Leningrad has stopped! It appears the invaders could no longer stomach the losses they were suffering against the valiant defenders of Leningrad. The Mech units have been withdrawn. All seem to be heading towards the Rzhev/Vyzama sector.

AGC. A mech group pushes in a few hexes towards Vyzama. The Tula Mech group beat up a few front line INF units and return to their start lines?

AGS. The Mech group push a few hexes toward Rostov and then retire to their start lines? What is going on?

The game is with Pelton again. Report plus screen shots next turn. Some curious moves by Herr Pelton.

I am most pleased with the Leningrad situation. I hope I am not counting my chickens before the eggs hatch but it would appear the Soviets will hold Leningrad, who would have thought this possible?

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/21/2012 11:11:24 PM)

End Soviet T15 (25 Sept 1941)

AGN: It is safe to say Leningrad will not fall in 1941. There have been no attacks in this sector for 2 turns. The enemy has even withdrawn from their incursion just to the south east of Lake Ilmen. No Mech units remain in the area and many enemy INF divisions have been withdrawn or are now in the process of heading south.

AGC: There is a Pz Gp (5 Pz & 3 Mot) to the east of Tula that have for the past two turns simply demolished the Russian front line and then returned to their start lines.

There is another Pz Gp, which is all of the formerly unsuccessful Leningrad group plus the 5th and 2nd Pz (total 9 Pz & 7 Mot) that have thrust in a north east direction between Smolensk and Vyazma towards Rhzev. The lead units (1st and 20th Pz) were successfully counter attacked and thrown back 40 miles due to over stacking. They lose over 4000 men. The Red army swarms the sprearhead with as many units as possible.

AGS: The Mech units (5 Pz and 4 Mot) are content to smash my front line in front of Rostov and limit their advance to 1 or 2 hexes. His INF grind away.

I am not sure what Pelton is up to now. Clearly he has given up on Leningrad. I don’t think he is really trying for Moscow either. I think he may be just trying to chew up as many Soviet units as he can with the remaining clear weather. But I sense he is in position to take advantage of any opportunity that may present itself. So I am still very wary. Perhaps he is playing the same game in front of Rostov as well. This turn the Soviet OOB topped 5 million men. Really, I could not have hoped for a better position at this point in the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Pelton’s T16. He has turned turtle. He has withdrawn from his bulge that was heading to Rhzev . He has abandoned Tula and is forming defensive lines across the entire front. Looks like the summer campaign is over. More maps T17.

[image]local://upfiles/22630/FC8C34D34DD44068855B13B562255AA1.jpg[/image]

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/21/2012 11:12:37 PM)

The Rhzev thrust.

[image]local://upfiles/22630/73FE26B21FDC487F90FA10362DD0DAB5.jpg[/image]

M60A3TTS -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/22/2012 12:51:53 AM)

Outstanding job. Tist has to be one of the best, if not the best 1941 performance against a highly skilled Axis player that we've seen in an AAR.

randallw -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/22/2012 12:54:35 AM)

Yeah, Pelton's in trouble. [:D] Wonder how long this one will go.

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/22/2012 2:22:22 AM)

Pelton should at least grind here and force Michael to burn through his armaments. But he did the same thing to me when we played, just gave up the ghost early and started digging in way too early. I had 300k armaments in the pool going into mud in our game and was also over 5 million and starting to blow up. There's no reason to stop this early. The Wehrmacht can conduct punishing deliberate attritional attacks almost all the way to blizzard, and maintain a sky high loss ratio even if it doesn't move the lines forward much or pocket anything.

By stopping so soon Michael might well reach 6 million come blizzard.

janh -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/22/2012 11:42:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw
Yeah, Pelton's in trouble. [:D] Wonder how long this one will go.

Yes, he probably has strong headaches whenever he gets a turn back from Michael. The Rshev thrust alone looks like a blunt spear (though Flavius is right), but look at the Panzers gathering near Tula. Maybe Pelton can come up with one of his famous surprises still?

Klydon -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/22/2012 2:23:31 PM)

Outstanding job by Michael. I think Pelton got a bit too predictable from his earlier games and Michael thought up some counters for it and took a chance Pelton would continue to roll out basically the same plan. I am sure Pelton will have learned a lot from this game and try to come up with some other strategies for the future where he is not so predictable.

It is interesting as I happen to have a German vs AI game going and what the AI has a tendency to do is to pack the Leningrad area with troops and sort of leave the south open these days. I got there a little too quick and did a direct thrust to spoil the strategy, but another turn or two more and it would have been very ugly indeed. I also probably throw a few more troops at Leningrad than most people do since PG4 gets an extra panzer corps and the entire AGN line starts at the north edge of Lake Ilmen and goes north from there.

I also agree with Flaviusx that Pelton should at least grind some on any Russian troops he can find to weaken moral and cause high losses because of low moral already.

Pelton also likes to bring offensive action to a close early to set up his winter line though, so that may be what he is working on too. Either way, he is going to face a very harsh blizard counteroffensive at this point.

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 10:51:33 AM)

End Soviet T17 (9 Oct 1941)

Well, as can be seen from the map Pelton has withdrawn a long way from the Russian front lines right across the map. I must admit his strategy from T15 to now has me scratching my head as to what he is up to. I honestly expected a much harder fight for survival in 1941. The failed right hook has had an even greater affect on his plans than I thought. He seems to have given up any hope of delivering a telling blow in 1941 from about T14.

I do not expect I will be able to do much to him in the blizzard as I suspect he will just run. By the start of the blizzard I should be close to an OOB of 6.5 million. Maybe I will have 7.5 million by the start of summer 1942. I guess he is banking on a great 42 summer campaign, he will need it. Otherwise maybe he is going to go defensive from now on. Either way this game is well within my grasp and I expect to win it quite handsomely. But it will take some time. I have no real offensive capability until 1943. It just depends on where on the map I start the drive back to Germany from.

More maps at the end of the mud turns (T21)

Stats

Sov OOB 5.33
Sov Cas 2.06
Sov Dis 0.748
Sov Man 2660
Tr Pool 228
Tr Units 141
Tr Repair 31

Ger OOB 3.39
Ger Cas 0.502
Ger Dis 0.325
Op AFV 1468

[image]local://upfiles/22630/A124F4D62F864EC799279FBC5C7FAAB6.jpg[/image]

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 12:08:34 PM)

Wow.

Red Army is just going to blow up now. You might even run into supply issues in 42, try not to lose any more HI.

I think sitting tight is the right way to go. Frankly, you don't even need to run a full bore blizzard counteroffensive. That's just going to get you out of your forts and terrain features and strain your logistics. Keep the rifle divisions sitting tight and send out your cavalry and tank brigades forward to maintain contact with him and encourage him to keep retreating. When March hits, your mobile units can fade back to the interior and make him waste time taking back this buffer zone. You won't get many guards this way, but whatever. He's not going to get anywhere either, and then you just wait until 43 to roll out Red Army 2.0.

Pelton just doesn't get the attrition or grinding part of the game at all. Axis can easily maintain 5:1+ loss ratios until blizzard in 41 if they just keep pounding away. Deliberate assaults with the landsers are no joke. The worst thing you can do is what he's doing and give the Soviets a free ride. He's not pressuring your replacement situation at all. Your armament pools may never bottom out, either.

timmyab -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 4:25:34 PM)

Wow, this looks really bad for Pelton.
I do think he was way too passive in the center here.As in chess you should usually aim to take control of the center early on.Going all out for Leningrad when it's heavily defended is like driving your army into a cul de sac.
The main thing this game illustrates for me though is the urgent need to address the Soviet run away tactic in the South and to a lesser extent the center.It's far too powerful a tool.
Still well played Michael.

juret -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 5:22:59 PM)

subscribed. great game

i am sure pelton got some plans. Dont underestimate him.

42 will be fun

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 6:50:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

Wow, this looks really bad for Pelton.
I do think he was way too passive in the center here.As in chess you should usually aim to take control of the center early on.Going all out for Leningrad when it's heavily defended is like driving your army into a cul de sac.
The main thing this game illustrates for me though is the urgent need to address the Soviet run away tactic in the South and to a lesser extent the center.It's far too powerful a tool.
Still well played Michael.

Yeah, and if the Soviet doesn't run away in the south, what then? I'm not seeing anything here about the urgent need to address the stupid Lvov opener.

The only thing the Soviet can do in the south is run. Against a good German opponent a forward defense is suicide.

What this game illustrates for me is that the right hook is a bad idea against a player who is prepared for it. And also that you can't put all your eggs in one basket and ignore the attritional grind. There is absolutely no reason for this early withdrawal and wrapping up operations several turns before mud. Michael has played well, but this particular error is completely unforced and purely a decision, and a bad one, on Pelton's part. He just gave up. He indeed did the exact same thing when I played him. (And let me hold a line up north as far west as Pskov-Velikiye Luki.) You can't stop pounding on the Soviet Union this early. It will grow by 100,000 men a turn if you leave it alone. That can be kept down to a dull roar with set piece attacks (which also will burn out the armaments pool) even if you cannot pocket or destroy units. Sheer grinding will prevent the Red Army from blowing up.

janh -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 7:12:23 PM)

quote:

Going all out for Leningrad when it's heavily defended is like driving your army into a cul de sac.

You say it yourself: A cul de sac. I think Pelton repeating this strategy again was unwise. And with that knowledge Michael flatly outplayed him. This Lake Ilmen right hook never stroke me as a brilliant idea because it offer SHC pretty much all possible advantages on a silver tablet: excellent defensive terrain, slow going and unsuitable for armor (needs less depth in defense, allows stronger main BTLs), a rather tight corridor that offers options only after going quite a distance and allows a constricted line of defense (unlike in the south, where the center of an offensive can slip some 10 hexes anytime)...
With the moment of surprise on his side, with some ruse or such that keeps the SHC off-guard, this tactic has allowed Pelton already spectacular successes. But without it yet inherent disadvantages...

The withdrawal in the south to more defensible terrain or more defense-worthy targets just mimics what an Axis player does in winter in the same area, and what is probably wisest with the present rules. So I wouldn't complain without knowing what the corresponding demand would be...

Besides Pelton has won spectacular victories with similar Russian withdrawals in place, but other strategies on his side. This one is a really un-Peltonish game. I really didn't expect him to retire already on 10/7/41...

janh -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 7:15:46 PM)

quote:

Sheer grinding will prevent the Red Army from blowing up.

Keep it from blowing up too fast... But causing 100k casualties with deliberate attacks isn't that easy, or is it? AI can do it with 120% moral setting, then its combat efficiency allows to make up for the lack of large pockets. But without benefits causing 100k in direct combat around LG, Rshev, Tula? Maybe better in the south? The lines look thin there, but maybe Pelton doesn't realize how thin? Or is demoralized? He could still shuffle his Panzers to the Kharkov-Rostov region and try to harvest a few small pockets in much better terrain until blizzard?

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 7:30:22 PM)

Basically, the Axis can count on 2k losses per division retreated on average. Sometimes more if they rout. (And here it can pay to select a stack of defenders lacking a retreat path, as they will probably rout if forced to vacate the hex, and yield a rich haul of up to 10K losses. That's practically losing a whole division.) It may not be possible to arrange enough attacks to reach the 100k threshold, but I think they can get easily get half that. These are attacks designed strictly to grind the Red Army, bear in mind, not to set up pockets or whatever. Deliberate attacks, possibly supported by offensive reserves. 15-20 of those in a turn will produce 50k+ losses and at least slow down the growth of the Red Army.

At least as important: it forces an armament crunch on the Soviets. That crunch won't happen by itself, it must be forced on the Soviet by combat. When I played Pelton he left me with 300k armaments in the kitty going into mud. James had me bottomed out in the game I played against him at the same time, and he wasn't pocketing anything, he just kept slamming into my lines and grinding away and the Red Army was living hand to mouth on whatever armaments were produced each turn, forcing drastic economies even if manpower was available.

timmyab -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 7:41:32 PM)

quote:

Yeah, and if the Soviet doesn't run away in the south, what then? I'm not seeing anything here about the urgent need to address the stupid Lvov opener.

I think you'd probably have to do the two things together.I play both sides so I'm wanting a balanced, exciting and historically plausible game.
You could avoid the worst of the Lvov opener just by adjusting the opening setup slightly.I'm not so certain how to force the SU to fight forward though under the current game system.A couple of ideas, speed up rail conversion if enemy is more than a certain distance away from the rail head.Increase the cost of railing industry.

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh
The withdrawal in the south to more defensible terrain or more defense-worthy targets just mimics what an Axis player does in winter in the same area, and what is probably wisest with the present rules. So I wouldn't complain without knowing what the corresponding demand would be...

Yes, I'm all in favor of forcing the Axis to fight forward in the blizzard as well.

Klydon -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 7:57:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

quote:

Going all out for Leningrad when it's heavily defended is like driving your army into a cul de sac.

You say it yourself: A cul de sac. I think Pelton repeating this strategy again was unwise. And with that knowledge Michael flatly outplayed him. This Lake Ilmen right hook never stroke me as a brilliant idea because it offer SHC pretty much all possible advantages on a silver tablet: excellent defensive terrain, slow going and unsuitable for armor (needs less depth in defense, allows stronger main BTLs), a rather tight corridor that offers options only after going quite a distance and allows a constricted line of defense (unlike in the south, where the center of an offensive can slip some 10 hexes anytime)...
With the moment of surprise on his side, with some ruse or such that keeps the SHC off-guard, this tactic has allowed Pelton already spectacular successes. But without it yet inherent disadvantages...

Besides Pelton has won spectacular victories with similar Russian withdrawals in place, but other strategies on his side. This one is a really un-Peltonish game. I really didn't expect him to retire already on 10/7/41...

Just about any strategy is going to be unwise when your opponent plans on you doing what you did. Don't you think the French would like a do-over from the 1940 campaign? They made assumptions about tanks and poor terrain and got torched when the Germans did the unexpected.

What Pelton did with the right hook was not only not unexpected, but actually hoped for and planned on by Michael T who knew Pelton's tendencies from previous games.

You simply can't repeat the same strategy over and over again and expect it to keep working like it did when it was initially employed and the enemy was surprised to see it.

The Germans loved the double evelopment manuver. It worked great early in the campaign. As time went along, it became less and less effective. Zhukov saw it coming in the Germans last gasp offensive of 1941 and reenforced his wings accordingly. Given how much the Germans loved this manuver, it wasn't hard to figure out that Kursk would be a major target for any German offensive in 1943. It failed miserably.

The right hook works well when it is unexpected. The huge issue here was it was expected and planned for by Pelton's opponent. Pelton tried it anyway and got his butt kicked for his troubles. Michael has shown it is possible to stop a German player that is predictable in making Leningrad a big 1941 target. Time will tell if the German players can come up some ideas to either make Leningrad a bit more unpredictable or to punish a Russian player who decides to go for the all out defense of Leningrad to the detriment of most anything else.

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 10:07:28 PM)

I intend to chase him now with everything. Force him to retreat as far as possible and then try to hold as much ground in 42 as I can. I have so many trrops and arms that I can afford a stubborn resistance in 42. I doubt I will have to run again. I think his reterat in the North and Centre from the good terrain he had is a mistake. I won't under estimate him, even in the coming snow. The Red Army will be truely monsterous come 1943.

Flaviusx -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 10:40:16 PM)

There's some good terrain in the center and north worth grabbing, but advancing past the Narva and Pskov seems problematic to me once the weather turns. In the center unless you can push him all the way back to the landbridge you could end up in the open near and around Smolensk and this isn't an amazing place to defend in.

Down south is where things get dangerous once the weather clears up unless you can push him all the way back to the Dnepr. And that's a very long ways indeed.

If you go all out, you will burn through trucks like crazy, and trucks are going to be scarce in 42.

Bear in mind that unless you occupy the forts you have now they will decay amazingly fast in inclement weather. And digging in that weather is very tough now. That's what makes the south so dangerous: there's no real terrain there to help you once you're out of the fort belt.

The game has changed. I don't think the blizzard counteroffensive is as important now as it used to be. You can do amazingly well in it and still throw the game away in 42. (Look at Kamil's present game.) You're in a splendid position and need not take undue risks in the blizzard, besides taking some good defensive terrain up north (say, a line running from Pskov to Vitebsk, wich grabs back a lot of swamps and forests for you) it may be best to develop your present position and force him to crack it. Elsewhere, I'd pursue with just enough stuff to make him retreat, and most of it mobile forces that can scoot back. He wants to pull a Manstein on you is my guess, and it seems to me you don't need to hazzard this possibility.

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/24/2012 10:58:56 PM)

I will play it by ear. A cautious advance up to the snow. See what he does. Reassess at the start of the blizzard. My instinct is to go for the throat, but I must be wary until at least the blizzard starts. I want to maintain contact with him so I must pursue him. At this point I am confident I can drive him back to the Dniepr in the centre. The south will depend on a few things.

mmarquo -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/25/2012 3:27:00 AM)

Michael,

My current Axis opponent did exactly what Pelton is doing except I lost Leningrad. I suggest you flog him relentlessly during the blizzard - no mercy. Be careful towards the end of the blizzard; my opponent caught me off guard in the spring and destroyed a large pocket of units (~100,000). However, I quickly recovered and now, in September 1943, my army is 10,000,000 strong: I have over 1,500,000 men in reserve and over 1,000,000 armaments in reserve; trucks have never been a problem. I receive over 100,000 men/week and I have so many that building more units is pointless. Roumania has surrendered, Prussia breached and it is almost all over.

The Axis player must knock out manpower locals which he has failed to do; he also failed to grind you, failed to pursue his attack; frankly you will be in Berlin by spring, 1944 and he can't stop you. During the blizzard attack his infantry more than armor even if he exposes it because of the replacement rate; do not forget to collect 500 APs so that you can build corps as soon as you are able. Another thing: he will build layers and belts of forts; the only support units which really matters are engineers. Everything else is of secondary concern; you can make a never ending mass of them and they are what is necessary to melt away the forts.

Good job.

Michael T -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/25/2012 4:27:37 AM)

My kind of thinking Marquo :)

Ketza -> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) (9/25/2012 3:54:50 PM)

Very interesting game. It seems to me the majority of Peltons success comes from newer Soviet players and whn he runs into players that have all the nuances down of playing the Soviet side down he is shut down.

In my own experience when I play as Soviets I rarely see a game go past blizzard. When I play as Axis I am attempting to break the trends of the "normal" game and am getting shut down rather quickly as most Soviet players seem to know the various ways to shut down the Axis in a rather consistent way. In a recent game I ran into a wall of Soviet stacks on he landbridge with CVs between 50 and 75 in level 2 entrenchments on turn 4. Still scratching my head over that one!

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI