RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

US87891 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/26/2012 7:05:29 PM)

1966, Jiri Menzel, "Closely Watched Trains". Czech. Academy Award, Best Foreign Film, 1967.

Regards. Matt

Nikademus -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/26/2012 8:53:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I don't know how you could say that, Pirates of the Caribbean is clearly the best naval warfare movie and it's American made. [:D]

Matched by our Cousins who portrayed the Greatest War of All time between Daleks and Time Lords. How can you trump winning a battle only to have the other side go back 15 seconds before you won and steal the victory from you therefore rewriting time? That is until the other side then trumps your trump and goes back 15 seconds before the 15 seconds the other side went back and re-rewrites history again giving them back the victory.

This explains the British need for frequent Tea Breaks. Its also allows aspirin to be consumed while thinking about it.

[image]local://upfiles/452/0BB898916D3E416B89A0A67BAE1E007B.jpg[/image]

danlongman -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/27/2012 1:29:28 AM)

For StK...... you probably shouldn't ask an American about the ACW. The chance of an unbiased answer
seems to me to be pretty small. Maybe if his mother was from New York and his father Virginia
and the person in question Maryland or Missouri. Otherwise the answers seem to be heavily biased
by state of birth. It was a civil war after all and not everyone agrees on the cause to this day.
There have been so many revisionist takes on it your head will spin. I no longer live in the USA
but because of family ties in Minnesota and Michigan I have a hopelessly one-sided view of events.
Going back even further the Irish contribution to the Union side is frequently stressed but the Irish
were present in alrge numbers on both sides. Anyway for all its flaws Gettsburg is a damn good movie.
Das Boot is in a class of its own. And then there was that incredible POS movie with Jon Bonjovi in a
USN submarine doing a bunch of stuff that was actually done by the Royal Navy and the RCN.......
U-571 it was forgive me if I think all those people should be put to death along with Michael Bay.
I will keep Kate Beckinsale as a hostage against a remake if that's okay.

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/27/2012 4:27:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I'm going to add:

In Which We Serve http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034891/

Watched this last night for the first time, sprior. Very introspective character-driven movie, quintessentially British. Good movie...

Apollo11 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/2/2012 6:39:34 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

I just watched "Das Boot" again, which in my opinion is simply the best movie about naval warfare (nevermind it's only about subs). It's a shame that the english dubbing is in no way up to the german original though.
Are there any movies like it out there? (without the overdone heroism crap, action scenes that no one really needed except the box office, ... you get my point)

Btw when did the Americans forget how to make really A-class movies? I mean just look at it there is "the longest day", "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and the likes of the old days and then theres stuff like the movie which in this forum I'm not allowed to name (which is a good thing. It doesn't deserve a name)

I have long (uncut) version of "Das Boot" and I alway watch in original German (but with English subtitles)... [:)]

BTW, for me one of the best war movies (and it was not mentioned here as far as I saw) is the:

"Aces High" (1976)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075627/

Leo "Apollo11"

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/3/2012 8:09:43 PM)

@Apollo11
thx for the tip.

regarding your signature: Viribus Unitis - Croatian WW1 Battleship? The nationality you gave the ship seems... creative.
(The ship was handed over to the Yugoslavian State on the 31st October 1918, was renamed to Jugoslavija and one day later sunk by Italians [8|] ).

terje439 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/3/2012 8:55:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Der Untergang and Stalingrad is as LoBaron says perhaps two of the best war movies ever made. Along with Das Boot that is.

If you move away from WW2 there are some very good war movies about the Vietnam war. I know little about this war besides reading "We were soldiers once" so that might be why I enjoy the movies. That movie sucked though. Come to think of it almost everything with Mel Gibson does... But Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill and Apocalypse now are excellent. Especially Apocalypse Now!

Btw, Anyone seen Galipoli? Been trying to get my hands on that but never found it. Ordered it from Amazon once but they cancelled it. Is it worth trying to find?

The one with Mel Gibson? If so, NO!
Not a war movie, more a love story placed in a WWI setting. I atleast was very disappointed.

Terje

abulbulian -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 5:11:51 AM)

Not sure if it was mentioned already in this thread, but Sam Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron' was another decent WWII movie. Not enough good movies about the eastern front unfortunately, other than Stalingrad.

Apollo11 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 7:36:53 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

regarding your signature: Viribus Unitis - Croatian WW1 Battleship? The nationality you gave the ship seems... creative.
(The ship was handed over to the Yugoslavian State on the 31st October 1918, was renamed to Jugoslavija and one day later sunk by Italians [8|] ).

Not really... all is historically correct... "Viribus Unitis" sunk with Croatian flag (i.e. as depicted)... and, BTW, Yugoslavia never existed before 1929... [;)]

If you want more info on Austro-Hungarian battleships please visit:

Tegetthoff Class Dreadnoughts

Stories and information about Viribus Unitis class battleships, built and used by Austro-Hungary in World War I.

http://croatian-treasure.com/main.html

Leo "Apollo11"

Empire101 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 11:38:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Not sure if it was mentioned already in this thread, but Sam Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron' was another decent WWII movie. Not enough good movies about the eastern front unfortunately, other than Stalingrad.

Two great films!![8D]

Olorin -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 11:58:43 AM)

Not sure if it's mentioned already, but I watched The Hunt for the Red October yesterday. A solid sub movie, depicting a somewhat realistic modern warfare scenario.

Schanilec -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 6:14:43 PM)

If I hadn't already mentioned this. A very good tactical combat movie 'Pork Chop Hill'. Another very good ASW movie 'The Bedford Incident'.

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/4/2012 7:04:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Two great films!![8D]

warspite1

Yes to Cross of Iron [&o]
No to Stalingrad [>:]

Oh and btw, Warspite's counter is still bluer than Yamato's [8D]

Wirraway_Ace -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/5/2012 7:05:52 AM)

quote:

Btw when did the Americans forget how to make really A-class movies? I mean just look at it there is "the longest day", "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and the likes of the old days and then theres stuff like the movie which in this forum I'm not allowed to name (which is a good thing. It doesn't deserve a name)

Great movies like great songs gain their power and inspiration from strong emotion. There is very little strong emotion for WWII left in the US. Very few vets of the war live, and gone with those who have passed is the hatred earned on the battlefield. There is also no angst as a nation about the war for a screenwriter of director to plumb, except the use of the atomic bombs and the strategic bombing campaign. These might still be fertile teritory, but not the war in general. The US won the war. By that I simply mean it accomplished its national objectives with a minimal number of dead, manageable debt, and ended the war with an overwhelming economic and strategic position. Bottom line: there is no market in the US on the scale of a major movie for a gritty, detailed depiction of most of the things this forum's members find interesting about WWII.

That being said, as an old infantryman, the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan is the most powerful scene of any war movie I have yet experienced.

Their is plenty of emotion to work with still in the US about Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and the war against Al Qaeda.

Footslogger -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/6/2012 4:12:46 AM)

Did anyone mention "The Desert Fox" made in 1951? Here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=185vCvsvEP8

Reg -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/6/2012 10:52:39 AM)

I was just given a copy of "The Thin Red Line", the 1964 B&W version starring Jack Warden and Keir Dullea.....

I'll have to let you know what it is like. [:)]

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/6/2012 2:35:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Has anyone seen Operation Daybreak? One of my favourite war films. Great soundtrack, tragic story, superb film.[&o][&o]

Sadly the soundtrack is not available [:@]
Warspite1

Has no one really seen this movie? [&:]

Maybe some have, but in the US this film has been released under the title "The Price of Freedom".

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

A German buddy once let me borrow a great Soviet WWII movie (probably shot in the 70s) that was quite realistic. They even actually hit a cow with an MG42. Maybe someone knows the name.

Have seen it as well - a shocking movie. It is called "Come and see" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

EDIT: The cow statement by Cdr Cody may sound a bit odd without further explanation. The showing of the film on tv was followed by a "making of" docu. The "making of" describes the filming of a scene where the main character - a teenage Russian Partisan - attempts to steal a cow from a village occupied by Germans. He is discovered and the Germans fire machine guns at him and the cow. For this scene, the film makers actually used live machine gun bullets and shot dead a real living cow - while the boy was crouching low, taking cover behind the body of the cow (they told the boy actor not to move and not to raise his head or anything). So much for the level of realism of the film - and special effects Russian-style. The fim is the most brutal and disturbing war movie I have ever seen. The worst thing about it is that it accurately portrays historic events.

US87891 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/6/2012 10:06:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE
I see all the war movie things and war book things on the main forum. Ok, but rather sad.

Next door neighbor boy wants to learn about Europe (used to want to learn about Oceanography); probably doesn’t know what he really want’s to learn about. But he want’s to know about Europe, so I gave him my copies of “The Age of Voltaire”, “Rousseau and Revolution” and “The Age of Napoleon”.

We’ll see if he really wants to learn European History, toot suite. If he does, I’m holding “The Age of Reason Begins” and “The Age of Louis XIV” in the bookcase.

Understanding history is a monumental task. Those that wish to undertake it, in the spirit in which it was performed, have my most sincere admiration and support.

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 6:49:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

I see all the war movie things and war book things on the main forum. Ok, but rather sad.

Next door neighbor boy wants to learn about Europe (used to want to learn about Oceanography); probably doesn’t know what he really want’s to learn about. But he want’s to know about Europe, so I gave him my copies of “The Age of Voltaire”, “Rousseau and Revolution” and “The Age of Napoleon”.

We’ll see if he really wants to learn European History, toot suite. If he does, I’m holding “The Age of Reason Begins” and “The Age of Louis XIV” in the bookcase.

Understanding history is a monumental task. Those that wish to undertake it, in the spirit in which it was performed, have my most sincere admiration and support.

Warspite1

This is a Movies thread - why the post from JWE here? Isn't he banned?

quote:

"I see all the war movie things and war book things on the main forum. Ok, but rather sad".

Sorry, but can you possibly be more condescending?

quote:

"Next door neighbour boy".
How old is he?
quote:

"wants to learn about"
suggests he's what? a teenager and starting out in the subject. If so, I'm surprised you would give him The Age of Voltaire to read. I read the opening couple of paragraphs and put it straight down.

quote:

We’ll see if he really wants to learn European History, toot suite.

Maybe the kid is a genius, but trying to get my head around that even now would put me off the subject for life. Surely if you want to really encourage someone young in a subject you would start out in a general way - big colourful reference books with pictures and maps - and build up over time?

Oh, and by the way, why does European history revolve around the French and such a limited timespan?

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 6:37:42 PM)

As a stridently anti-Soviet teen growing up in the US, I thoroughly enjoyed "Red Dawn" in the 1980s. Saw it in the theatre even.

It probably wouldn't translate well to other non-stridently anti-Soviet viewers outside of the US, but I loved it then. I'm debating whether I'll see the new one in the theatres just for old time's sake. [;)]

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 6:43:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

This is a Movies thread - why the post from JWE here? Isn't he banned?

quote:

"I see all the war movie things and war book things on the main forum. Ok, but rather sad".

Sorry, but can you possibly be more condescending?

quote:

"Next door neighbour boy".
How old is he?
quote:

"wants to learn about"
suggests he's what? a teenager and starting out in the subject. If so, I'm surprised you would give him The Age of Voltaire to read. I read the opening couple of paragraphs and put it straight down.

quote:

We’ll see if he really wants to learn European History, toot suite.

Maybe the kid is a genius, but trying to get my head around that even now would put me off the subject for life. Surely if you want to really encourage someone young in a subject you would start out in a general way - big colourful reference books with pictures and maps - and build up over time?

Oh, and by the way, why does European history revolve around the French and such a limited timespan?

Warspite1

BTW. Just to be clear about the above post. I have admiration for anyone that can read, understand and enjoy books like The Age of Voltaire. The point I was making was simply that it, along with the others mentioned, seems strange choices to give a boy starting out on a subject - nothing against the works themselves...or indeed the French.

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 7:16:56 PM)

@ warspite1,

Agree completely. The topic at hand is films / cinema / movies. It has very little to do with ancient literature preferences. I can't think of a better way to turn off a new 'student of history' than to give them some impenetrable tome like Voltaire.

My initial foray into military history was by reading Crane's Red Badge of Courage-the graphic novel-when I was 10. Transfixing. That was my gateway drug into more detailed military esoterica.

Sorry for hijacking this movie thread further. Back to the cinema!

Orm -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 9:33:53 PM)

Several pages and no one have yet mentioned "The Sinking of the Laconia". In my opinion it is well worth viewing since it tries to get most of the historical facts right.

Thanks to the previous pages I now have several movies I need to find and watch. [:)]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_of_the_Laconia

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/7/2012 9:55:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
Have seen it as well - a shocking movie. It is called "Come and see"

Thanks for the heads up LST. I've added this to my Netflix cue. The wife really oughta like it. [;)]

Alas, can't find 'The Price of Freedom' or 'Operation Daybreak' on Netflix. I'll have to broaden the search a bit...

stuman -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/8/2012 3:36:40 AM)

Funny story about Das Boot and its effect on my life. It had recieved good reviews and I was excited about seeing it. I was in my second year of Law School, and had started dating a very nice girl. We went to the movie, and I was enthralled. I thought it was great. My date on the other hand hated it. Would not even discuss it afterwards. Oh well. Two months later I went out on a date with another girl, and we have now been married almost 30 years ! And she watches war movies with me ! As do our kids !

So as sad as Das Boot is, it has made me a very happy man.

P.S. Cross of Iron is gritty and good. I watch Zulu every year. And I also like They Were Expendable.

inqistor -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/8/2012 7:56:54 AM)

quote:

1966, Jiri Menzel, "Closely Watched Trains". Czech. Academy Award, Best Foreign Film, 1967.

Regards. Matt

Errrrrm, seriously? I have seen it few years ago, and I do not even recall any Germans there. There was like ONE pistol, and ONE explosion at the end. And this is all war-themed parts.

If someone wants to see Czech "ambitious" war-movie, he should check I_Served_the_King_of_England. It have lots of Germans, and LOTS of boobs.

Anyway, speaking of Czech movies. There is quite a new movie Dark_Blue_World, about Czechoslovak pilots in WWII. With standard plot (two guys, a girl, TMTSNBN, this Korean one also have similar plot btw)

Skyros -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/10/2012 2:42:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

quote:

Regards. Matt

Errrrrm, seriously? I have seen it few years ago, and I do not even recall any Germans there. There was like ONE pistol, and ONE explosion at the end. And this is all war-themed parts.

If someone wants to see Czech "ambitious" war-movie, he should check I_Served_the_King_of_England. It have lots of Germans, and LOTS of boobs.

Anyway, speaking of Czech movies. There is quite a new movie Dark_Blue_World, about Czechoslovak pilots in WWII. With standard plot (two guys, a girl, TMTSNBN, this Korean one also have similar plot btw)

And they escape from a nazi prison by making a glider and bombing v2 sites before crossing the channel[:D]

MineSweeper -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/24/2012 7:28:20 PM)

This is a cool flick relatating to WW II South Pacific
The Last Bullet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113606/

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/24/2012 7:50:13 PM)

How about this "classic" ? [:D]

[image]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l304/Sterntaenzer/62566c3cb6b3f4a10554ba6891d83929.jpg[/image]

Deceicive battle in Africa 1942

King Tigers at El Alamein !!!!!!!

But tbh I dont see a King Tiger. First tank is a Panther and the second looks more like a Pershing or so to me O.o

So many typical tanks for the North Africa theater......

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (9/24/2012 7:57:11 PM)

Grafin,

I don't speak German-is Entscheidungs schlacht German for "absolute fantasy TOE"? If so, it's not that far from the mark...

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI