RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 6:31:37 PM)

2/12/44

Carousel: Deliberate attack will take place tomorrow. I'm very interested in seeing whether there are signs of a shaky defense. See map for other theater details.

Burma: John is reinforcing Taung Gyi, where a second para-assault didn't succeed (the troops are 100% prepped but suffering from high disruption). The unit will rest tomorrow while the air force targets the enemy units there and in the adjacent hex.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/777E7F5DAF4E4FEDA996DE21ABA72800.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 7:46:26 PM)

Nice bombardment - he's not going to be able to hold very long, it appears.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 7:53:06 PM)

It appears that you are going to have very large bases for bombing the crap out of his oil very, very soon.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 8:03:03 PM)

With those bombardment results from two cruisers and some DDs, I am sure he has almost no forts built.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 8:35:13 PM)

Clear terrain, too.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/7/2016 10:31:12 PM)

2/13/44

Carousel: The Japanese defense of Makassar collapsed on the first assault. The Allies take this important base. Most of the details are on the map.

Makassar suddenly became a target a month ago almost entirely due to John's forward-thinking defense. At the time Horn Island fell, I intended to move Death Star into the Coral Sea. But John had KB posted in the Solomons. There was no need to force a battle since recon showed lots of opportunities in Celebes and the islands to the south. So, on the same day that Horn Island fell, 4th Aus. Div. switched prep to Makassar and re-embarked on transports. I had previously switched 1st Aus. Div. at Merauke to Makassar. So after 4th loaded, the amphibious TF went to Merauke to pick up 1st. Then they moved on Celebes.

The other "casualty" of John's forward thinking is that he spent time and ships, effort and men, to bolster Gove's defenses. By doing so, he secured that base for some time to come, but he'd have been better served, IMO, attending to the rear rather than to the front.

He's in the difficulty position of having X needs but only .5X assets and time. He can't be everywhere at once, but his forward thinking has been working to his detriment.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/8EE17EDC3EEF43EA809029A9AA64F730.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/8/2016 2:14:39 AM)

2/14/44

Carousel: See map for details.

KB: See following map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/BACD6B935DF04181B970530F5EB2311F.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/8/2016 2:15:34 AM)

2/14/44

KB: Could be out near Marcus, though not enough info to rise even to "hunch" level.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/C88D3CA070214FDEA6B1A5516E802708.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/8/2016 5:46:29 AM)

If John thinks you will be coming back to Marcus soon and fall into his trap he has really fallen into wishful thinking! He must know that you are watching for signs of KB and will not venture there without DS!
Meanwhile -his fuel stocks go up in smoke ...

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/8/2016 3:52:01 PM)

A week or two back, I mentioned that I had finally made a decision on the most important question I faced. At the time, I was afraid that I would experience "buyer's remorse," but as the days and now weeks have passed, I'm increasingly certain that I made the right call.

The question was how to merge Death Star and Death Star Junior leading into Fun House without subjecting them to defeat in detail. That's why I had wanted John to commit KB into the DEI. When it became clear that John wasn't going to cooperate, I had to come up with another way. The failure to grab Marcus two weeks ago complicated matters, because Japanese patrols will pick up DS Junior much earlier than I'd like.

My preferred method was for John to post KB in the DEI or in the South China Sea, which is still possible. If so, I'd keep Death Star in the DEI and, at the right moment, utilize it in a sudden strike to the north (probably Taulad Eilenden, north of Manado). This would pin John's attention there, allowing DS Junior to make it's approach from Hawaii (and Marcus in Allied hands would've made this considerably easier).

I tinkered with a dozen variations of that plan until one struck me as "best" a few weeks back. I like it even more now than I did then.

Fun House will move out on schedule. Part of this depended on getting the Big Tent Herd back to Hawaii in good order and on time. The lead TF is only 35 hexes out of Pearl now; the trailing TF is near Noumea. This "sub-op" has gone well.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/8/2016 6:19:22 PM)

2/15/44

A good, productive day without any adverse developments. I'll leave the storytelling to the map.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/E3FF306D0E1049C2BB485B4BAD6C2BF0.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 2:33:07 AM)

2/16/44

Burma: Taung Gyi falls today to 77th Chindits. This may be more important than you'd think. John's all but conceded the air space, allowing 2EB and 4EB to hammer his airfields, industry and ground troops. He's got to recommit or withdraw. I think he'll do the latter.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/C7C8FA9C66264ECFA40D10C8D28E26AE.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 2:34:30 AM)

2/16/44

Fun House and CenPac: Another quiet, unmolested, productive day. The map will provide the SitRep.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/3018E7D7EA774206AA2731DE7C3E9132.jpg[/image]

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 2:57:55 AM)

5900 casualties at Makassar -- partial repayment for the losses at Palembang.[sm=00000036.gif]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 3:18:24 AM)

Arg, you mean Sabang! I think I lost 125,000 troops there. 8k points right there.

bradfordkay -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 3:30:44 AM)

So you have been using 4E bombers against his troops in Burmese bases? Isn't that within the HRs you guys negotiated?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 2:36:41 PM)

The HR prohibits using 4EB against ground units in non-base hexes, so I am free to use them against troops in bases.

I didn't use my SEAC bombers from spring '43 until January 2, 1944. When they resumed, John at first contested the airspace with good fighter squadrons, but not a lot of them. Within a few days, most of the oil and other good industry in the area was destroyed. At about the same time, Allied fighter sweeps seemed to really get the best of John's fighters. He withdrew them. Possibly the losses were distasteful to him or possibly he had higher priority uses in the DEI. So, for the past 30 days, Allied fighters and bombers have had unfettered access to Japanese bases and troops. Most of the airfields are shut down now. Most of his Burma divisions are in bases, meaning they're been taking an awful pounding. John didn't comment until yesterday.

He has two viable options - one is to contest the air space by using his fighters. If that doesn't work, or if he prefers to use his fighters elsewhere, he has to begin phased withdrawals to put space between his troops and my big airfields. It will take me time to move engineers and aviation personnel forward, so he can buy time in return for space. I think that's what he'll do.

GetAssista -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 6:14:06 PM)

I wonder why John does not use his fighters in Burma. At that point Allies do not yet have an overwhelming tech and airframe production advantage, and he has capable enough airframes online (Franks etc). Playing over own bases would train the pilots and attrite allies, layered CAP is ok against your limited Jugs, and railroad network is nice for airgroup rotation. Maybe he has not trained enough fighter pilots? Or too small production?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 9:38:32 PM)

Just a guess that he's not flush with good pilots and good airframes and deems the DEI a higher priority.

Dirtnap86 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 10:55:28 PM)

Yeah he may have bet too heavily on a late war plane. He does have A6M8s and has for a while.

What does the air war look like anyways right now CR? How many frames has he lost

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 11:01:16 PM)

John's lost 19,300 aircraft. I've lost 12,700.

It's hard for me to judge whether that's a lot for Japan. My impression is that Japan can produce an unlimited number, though it does impact his supply level at some point.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 11:06:29 PM)

2/17/44

Carousel: Another quietly productive day as Death Star and the Herd make for Normanton.

Fun House: All quiet as the massive behind-the-scenes logistical work continues.

Burma: John may be trying to reclaim Taung Gyi, but he'll probably have to shift a division this way. That, in turn, exposes units to attack by my 4EB. I'm seeing movement dots on a number of IJ units. I'm not positive yet whether they're moving forward to attack or retiring. My money is on the latter.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/BB572240C254461BB6F95730CC9DD3D0.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/9/2016 11:44:26 PM)

Death Star left Pearl Harbor in October, four months ago. She's been at sea ever since. The carrier TFs are running low on fuel but wear-and-tear is remarkably low. This TF is representative.

That's one huge benefit of not going off at flank speed to chase any of the juicy enemy TF targets that were available during the operation. Far more important to just do what Big Tent was designed to do.

The lack of wear and tear is even more remarkable when considering that Death Star left San Fran in June '43 for the Hokkaido invasion (changed to the Aleutians) and has been at sea ever since, except for one brief interlude after the Great Naval Battle of Wake Island.

Logistics isn't everything, but man it's critical.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/5CBAC150996245299A6A64F8ED1665AF.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/10/2016 8:10:59 AM)

I'd say the benefit is more moving at the speed of the merchants. I don't typically run mine at flank (it's been many months), but they still accumulate a reasonable amount of Sys damage just from sailing around at mission speed, 8 hexes per turn. When you're moving 4-6 hexes per turn, or less....

Flicker -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/10/2016 6:29:36 PM)

I'm going to try some of your sys damage limiting techniques rather than sending fleets to a point halfway around the map.

Glad to see Horn Island free from Imperial oppression. Also like using troops to mop up what are now rear areas. IMO the Aussie division plus some smaller units could turn much of the Japanese-held areas in the South Pacific around fairly quickly. Take away the abandoned and weakly held areas then use the Oz hammer when needed.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/10/2016 8:16:14 PM)

Having Horn Island helps me sleep better.

I think Fun House will clear SoPac and eastern CenPac of enemy ships. I'll have to remain on guard, as John will look for chances to gang up on smaller TFs, but that's when I'll begin some mop up operations. I'm leaving some troops, good amphib ships, and about 12 CVEs in theater (four CVE in SoPac, eight in CenPac). Some bases are weakly held now, some still strongly held. I don't know if the latter are a matter of John determined to hold out or if he just hasn't had the time and ships to make withdrawals yet.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/10/2016 8:18:35 PM)

2/18/44

I'll let the map speak to events.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/9EB06A5DDB054092A9969E5112D6023A.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 12:48:31 AM)

I'm leaving town tomorrow on a family vacation. I hope to get one more turn in before then, if John's in a position to send one tonight. At the moment, though, he and his family are out Christmas caroling. In the meantime, y'all stay warm, ya hear? I'll think of you while I'm in sunny South Florida, the place I was born and raised (but that seems like 14 lifetimes ago now).

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 1:07:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm leaving town tomorrow on a family vacation. I hope to get one more turn in before then, if John's in a position to send one tonight. At the moment, though, he and his family are out Christmas caroling. In the meantime, y'all stay warm, ya hear? I'll think of you while I'm in sunny South Florida, the place I was born and raised (but that seems like 14 lifetimes ago now).

14 lifetimes?!! How many AARs have you done! [:D]

Have a great vacation and a joyful Christmas.

[image]local://upfiles/35791/1683FDA89B4A4B78985A6F562BA7A3D8.jpg[/image]

adarbrauner -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 1:35:13 AM)

What's the AAR report's name of the opponent John?

Page: <<   < prev  272 273 [274] 275 276   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI