RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 3:21:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

What's the AAR report's name of the opponent John?

John 3rd is his handle. His AAR:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3214065

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 12:14:14 PM)

2/19/44

A quietly productive day with no major disturbances in the force. See map for nearly all details.

Burma: At Taung Gyi, the Chindits destroy a Japanese regiment. I think John is beginning to pull back his troops. We'll see.

South Florida: I'll post a time or two to let you guys know if it's too hot down that way. Back Friday to resume the war and endure the cold.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/3ABD4F7721C745FB835961F0DFF5B47B.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/11/2016 1:15:15 PM)

quote:

Canoerebel: (John's more concerned about Celebes).

When I first read that my initial thought was "Which celebs? Does anyone really care that Kanye West is taking a long-overdue mental health break?"
Then I realized the capitalization and spelling made it a different word ... [8|]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/13/2016 2:48:15 PM)

John's never shown any propensity for celebrities. I only get that vibe from my old opponent Paul (Miller). I won't go into that, though, as I covered it recently.

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning, about fifteen miles from the entrance to Everglades National Park. This is a good time of year to be down here, as the mosquitos and sand flees (aka "no-see-ums") are minimal. I grew up in nearby Miami, leaving in 1979 to go to college in Georgia. It really does seem like a different lifetime now. We'll spend the day with my mom, who just turned 87, and my stepfather, a 94-year-old WWII veteran. He was a quartermaster on a DE in SoPac, including the Solomons. He's been in the ministry since the 1950s, having at one time pastored First Baptist Church of Key West and also North Miami Beach Baptist. He's one of the finest, gentlest men I've ever known. My father, also a WWII vet (US Army, European Theater) died three years ago, but we'll spend time with my stepmother in a few days.

You gents (and ladies, if Graffin Zeppelin pops in for another of her occasional visits) have a fine day.

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/13/2016 2:57:33 PM)

Kayne West was just seen leaving Trump tower after having a conversation with him.

He got a handshake and a bro-hug on the way out the door.

We are living in the twilight zone :]

dave sindel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/13/2016 3:21:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John's never shown any propensity for celebrities. I only get that vibe from my old opponent Paul (Miller). I won't go into that, though, as I covered it recently.

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning, about fifteen miles from the entrance to Everglades National Park. This is a good time of year to be down here, as the mosquitos and sand flees (aka "no-see-ums") are minimal. I grew up in nearby Miami, leaving in 1979 to go to college in Georgia. It really does seem like a different lifetime now. We'll spend the day with my mom, who just turned 87, and my stepfather, a 94-year-old WWII veteran. He was a quartermaster on a DE in SoPac, including the Solomons. He's been in the ministry since the 1950s, having at one time pastored First Baptist Church of Key West and also North Miami Beach Baptist. He's one of the finest, gentlest men I've ever known. My father, also a WWII vet (US Army, European Theater) died three years ago, but we'll spend time with my stepmother in a few days.

You gents (and ladies, if Graffin Zeppelin pops in for another of her occasional visits) have a fine day.

Enjoy your vacation Dan. The forecast for Ohio is a high of 10*F on Thursday...

sanch -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/13/2016 4:10:14 PM)

quote:

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning ...

An old license plate of mine is on the wall at Alabama Jacks's.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/13/2016 5:41:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Kayne West was just seen leaving Trump tower after having a conversation with him.

He got a handshake and a bro-hug on the way out the door.

We are living in the twilight zone :]

Or an Outer Limits episode.

Or Bizarro World.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/14/2016 11:54:24 AM)

Big ol' full moon rose over Biscayne Bay last night, with hardly a cloud in the sky. Back home in Georgia, it was dizzling and cool. It's fun visiting down here, but I'm always glad to get home. The drive begins amid palm trees and fast cars of South Florida, transitions gradually as we make our way from Orlando up to Ocala, turns "southern" once we get to about Gainesville, and ends up amidst the just-harvested cotton fields and logging trucks of Georgia. Very different ways of life (although Miami an Atlanta aren't radically different as far as busy-ness and business and ways of life).

Y'all have a fine day. Avoid watching any news about celebrities.

adarbrauner -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/14/2016 5:15:16 PM)

quote:

Who's Graffin Zeppelin

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/14/2016 7:07:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

Who's Graffin Zeppelin

For many years GZ was the only female member on the board. She posts with a "CM Tsugaru Fan" signature picture. You can check out her profile by going to the members list (tiny text link at the top of the forum screen).

Reg -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/14/2016 7:18:54 PM)

There's a story behind that signature picture.....

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/15/2016 4:49:22 PM)

Yesterday was summertime hot and humid (to me, not to those who actually live here). We spent the day in the Everglades, including touring a Nike missile site from the Cuban Missile Crisis days. I didn't even know that there was such a thing, and I lived here then.

To keep the knife's edge sharp, I've been reading WWII books during vacation, one about 1st Marine Raiders on Guadalcanal and the second, just started today, about 1st Marines on Peleliu and Okinawa. The latter was recommended by John Dillworth about five years ago. This is my second reading of the book.

Back to Georgia tomorrow. In the meantime, y'all have a nice day.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/16/2016 8:50:25 AM)

yup, this Nike missile sites were all over the place. I'm on Long Island so we had a bunch protecting NYC. Some of he pad remains are still around if you don't mind hiking around a bit (and I know you don't). Worry not, we did not leave Georgia unprotected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_missile_sites

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/16/2016 10:47:18 AM)

Huh. Thanks for that link, John. Seems like it might make a good story.

Having cleared my own Torres Strait, it's time to make my egress from Miami to northwest Georgia tonight. We'll go from 1979 to 2016; from 80 degrees to about 50; from sunshine to overcast darkness; from busy-ness to the relative quiet of home.

John sent the turn yesterday, so I'll attend to that sometime tonight. Looks like he got more active with his air force, while the turn for the most part was quietly productive for the Allies. The most significant occurrence was a failed Japanese deliberate attack north of Watampone, Celebes, where John's little army might've skewered itself on Allied tanks and a good infantry unit. If I can push John back there, his position at Pare Pare might become tenuous, though I think he will reinforce.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/17/2016 5:42:52 AM)

2/20/44

The CiC has returned from R&R in Miami. It's late and time for bed, so the map will speak for the day's events.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/1EC7EFCC1F0743F88FBB35499219A6EC.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/17/2016 8:47:40 PM)

2/21/44

Another quietly productive day as I shift assets around in preparation for Fun House. At the moment, the only hot action going on is in Burma and at Celebes. See map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/3CCB6DC3B94244899C110F2F53833EED.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/18/2016 12:40:45 AM)

2/22/44

Burma: John's email message: "I’m pulling a trick out of Michael’s playbook.  ANNOYING as all heck to know that an aerial ambush awaits you SOMEWHERE in Burma.  Cannot keep nine AF closed all the time.  Kind of fun ‘guessing’ where you are or where your going to hit.  Sometimes works--sometimes not but it is better then a static defense." John enjoys good-natured banter, but in this case I think he's more likely worried about Burma. If he's not, he ought to be. Today, Allied bombers hit Shwebo, Mandalay and Prome pretty hard, destroying 15 Franks on the ground. Most of the other airfields are already closed. I think the only exception is Pegu at the moment. Tomorrow, though, the airforce will focus on Rangoon, Magwe (ground units) and Meiktila (ground units).

Carousel/Big Tent: A pretty quiet day. That's very good, since all the Allied sea power is temporarily far away.

Normanton: Replensiing and refueling has begun in earnest. A handful of good naval support units began arriving today (I stripped Oz of these units weeks ago to set up an expedited logistical center at Normanton).

Coral Sea: Enemy TF showed up where none has any reason to be (see map). Too, John's subs (several with Glens) have been very buys around Melbourne and Sydney for weeks. I've beefed up patrols and re-routed the few TFs still in this area.

Fun House: Just busy behind the scenes until embarkation day nears in several weeks.

SigInt: 33rd Indep. Mixed Brigade aboard xAP bound for Batavia. Makes sense.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/002C140171B34CCEACD3D8F16BC31248.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/18/2016 8:15:13 PM)

2/23/44

Fun House: The tremendous flurry of non-sexy logistical work continues. This op still looks good to go in mid March, with the invasions taking place about three or four weeks later - say April 10 or thereabouts.

Elsewhere: See map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/AEBC79F29E9F444FB46F149FDA6D2AFD.jpg[/image]

DRF99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/18/2016 8:45:34 PM)

Wow! John lost 56 Judy's on ops.

Were they shot down searching?
Did a carrier with only Judys spontaneously combust?

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 12:40:38 AM)

If they were stuck at an airfield somewhere without aviation support/supplies to repair, he wouldn't have been able to fill out the unit or "upgrade" it to another model. He likely disbanded some fragments that were trapped in this way.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 5:39:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

If they were stuck at an airfield somewhere without aviation support/supplies to repair, he wouldn't have been able to fill out the unit or "upgrade" it to another model. He likely disbanded some fragments that were trapped in this way.

Seems most likely. It can also happen if the base auto-flips because there were no troops there and all the aircraft are damaged. Just a few turns ago in my game that happened to a Japanese base - only a handful of planes though. My troops were just about to move into the base anyway.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 3:57:28 PM)

quote:

2/21/44

Another quietly productive day as I shift assets around in preparation for Fun House. At the moment, the only hot action going on is in Burma and at Celebes. See map for details.

Trying to hold Burma without control of the sea is a death trap for the Japanese player.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 4:07:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Probably right. Residue from lost carriers in the big carrier battle that flew to a base with no air support. He then disbanded all fragments into one unit so that he could rebuild the other parent units. Then with no air support he is left with no choice but to disband the one large abandoned unit so that he can rebuild it.

That or a mid sized carrier ran over a couple of mines and sunk. Or an AK or AKV or two had a collision or hit mines. The lord works in mysterious ways....

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 4:22:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

2/21/44

Trying to hold Burma without control of the sea is a death trap for the Japanese player.

Depends on where in Burma...

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 5:09:02 PM)

Experienced players understand the benefit of using current frontline activity to "suck in" enemy assets, thus leaving rear areas weaker and ripe for future attack.

I worked this strategy pretty hard prior to Big Tent, drawing John's full attention to SoPac, NoPac and the Marshalls (and he came most willingly, because he's aggressive). That left a gaping hole in the DEI (it shouldn't have; he should've attended to things there). Then, when Big Tent succeeded, John faced the enormous challenge of retrieving all the units posted at bases that were suddenly rendered irrelevant or marginal.

That's what's currently going on in Burma. I want to keep John focused way out front, maintaining his current garrison (I think he has at least five divisions there). Eventually, I will move in strength. But not yet. I don't want to push John back for perhaps another four to six months.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/19/2016 11:13:48 PM)

2/24/44

Third Ring: 3rd Australian Division upgraded to '43 and '44 devices and is now 50% prepped for Gove. It and II Australian Engineers will board APA and AKA tonight. Most of the combat ships and carriers have refueled now - all but one CVE TF and one CV TF. That will take one or two more days.

Unless John commits KB against the invasion of Gove, I do not anticipate a high-level of risk. Full Death Star will be present along with at least five bombardment TFs. Once the landings are complete, I'll have two good infantry divisions and combat engineers ashore. They'll square off against 2/3rds of 16th Div. behind four forts but lacking heavy weapons.

Celebes: John's bombers are working over Allied troops. This is annoying but I'd rather have him focused here than looking deeper. I didn't leave much in the way of combat ships to protect Big Tent while Death Star was away.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/5F4B2E8973764D2FA2F0C1E4CD30CC66.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/20/2016 5:31:28 AM)

With all his poking around the Sydney area I'd guess that he thinks you must be needing to take your CVs there for upgrades. He may have KB standing by to hit them when they go into dock in Sydney, but he's playing his hopes rather than his opponent if he does that.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/21/2016 4:21:16 PM)

Shameless plug here. Dan, I am really enjoying the latest issue of Georgia Backroads. That boy's picture on the cover is amazing. Just look at his clothes. He does not seem very sorry about putting that spike on the railroad track at all....

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/21/2016 4:40:25 PM)

Thanks, Ross. It's encouraging that you enjoy the magazine all the way up there in the Old Line State. I know you have deep roots in Georgia.

The story was written by Rebecca Bradshaw, who also sniffed out the good photos from the local history museum. Cliff Johnson, who designs the magazine, did all the work in preparing the cover. I thought it was very appealing - it's the "least colorful" cover we've ever done. Given the holiday season, that seems a bit out of character. But the somber colors stand out on newsstands filled with holiday-themed publications (or so I'd like to think).

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6B4FE44A2F9D4F5E843AF47E95A698CF.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  273 274 [275] 276 277   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI