RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 4:21:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

No, to the best of my knowledge, none of my contributing writers is a Forumite. But crsutton is a reader!

Yeah, Dan is pretty low key about his magazine on this forum but I am not above doing a little "pimping" for him. You don't have to be from Georgia to enjoy it. It is full of history and color, and his contributors have some pretty nice stuff to say. Plus, it is a fairly inexpensive investment. Reminds me that is is time to renew my subscription. The guy is a true renaissance man hiding out on a forum full of war game geeks...[:D]

AcePylut -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 8:33:34 PM)

What's the name of the magazine?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:00:47 PM)

It's Georgia Backroads, but we get phone calls for Georgia Backwoods, Georgia Blackwoods, Georgia Blackroads, and just about every other iteration that you can imagine. Our demographic is elderly too. Ninety percent of callers say they wish to order a "prescription."

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:05:07 PM)

quote:

It's Georgia Backroads, but we get phone calls for Georgia Backwoods, Georgia Blackwoods, Georgia Blackroads, and just about every other iteration that you can imagine. Our demographic is elderly too. Ninety percent of callers say they wish to order a "prescription."

[:D]
Sayyy - what kind of paper are you using? Can you smoke it?

Xilana -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:18:22 PM)

CR:

I have been enjoying your exploits from the sidelines as always. I've opted to function as an Allied observer only as I find the omnipotence one garners from reading both threads make it less fun for me. Having stated all of this, let me get to my message.

Q) Have you considered any potential scenarios where you could ambush the Kaigun or at least engage at favorable odds leading to a Midway outcome?
Q) Curious as to why Leyte hasn't yet fallen? Does John have a large garrison in place? Are the bases there build-able to high levels? Seems to me it would be a potential nice place to give you another interlocking base for your net.

Observation, I've had the opportunity/pleasure of traveling through much of the Philippines. If you ever go, Palawan was beautiful, unspoiled, and relatively sparsely visited (c2009). The central islands are nice, I liked Cebu, Boracay, and Leyte. I find it fascinating to read the electronic exploits of my old stomping grounds, both in the PI as well as the carolines, mariannas, okinawa, yap. Places I almost made it were the Marshalls on a dive trip (notoriously expensive) and Iwo with a Marine corp family related to a WW2 vet but it fell through. I'm going to hit the Solomons, NG and some other venues on my next trip.

EDIT: I forgot (and how could I forget) to add Palau to my list of have visited. Yet another wonderful location worthy of a visit!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:21:53 PM)

I wouldn't expect anybody to subscribe to Georgia Backroads unless they had a particular interest in Georgia history and/or simply loved reading this kind of material. So I seldom refer to the magazine here, because it generally doesn't mean much to folks in Manitoba, the UK or Singapore. The great majority of the forum can better us $27 to buy a new game!

But let me close by saying this. We've been in publication since 1984. We're the same dimensions, page count, and paper quality today as we were then. Our subscription prices haven't changed since 2004. And we carry less advertising than we did in 2004 by design.

I think we're the only magazine in the nation that can come close to making those claims. Many have shrunk and adopted weird "themed" issues for advertising revenue (Time). Others have vanished (Newsweek and US News and World Report). But we're just puttering along doing the same thing we've always done.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:26:58 PM)

V3, thanks for reading and chiming in.

Fun House is unfolding on schedule and as planned. I haven't completed taking bases yet, but my focus was on taking the lightly held or vacant bases first, with the exception of Cebu. Leyte is on the agenda, but Baybay is defended modestly and Tacloban probably by a mixed brigade. I have a division broken into three RCT that are prepping accordingly - one is at 100% for Baybay, the other two at about 35% for Tacloban. I'll move on those bases if I clear KB out of the way or if KB stays away.

My plan to draw Kaigun into battle is simply to force John's hand by taking territory until he concludes he has to either fight or lose. I think we're getting there, but John is pretty stubborn in his devotion to his ships. He's doing his best to find some other way than "banzai!"

Xilana -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 9:40:43 PM)

quote:

How about changing it to Georgia Peach :) I guarantee you'd get all sorts of baseball aficionados calling at that point. Certainly OT, but I'm happy to see the last 2 bios on him are relying less on Al Stump. They have definitely built up from the older Alexander standard.

Reg -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/3/2017 10:40:37 PM)

quote:

My plan to draw Kaigun into battle is simply to force John's hand by taking territory until he concludes he has to either fight or lose. I think we're getting there, but John is pretty stubborn in his devotion to his ships. He's doing his best to find some other way than "banzai!"

You've rapped him over the knuckles often and hard enough every time he ventures near that I think that has become very leery of confronting your massed strength. I suspect he will only act if he perceives a weakness.....

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/4/2017 5:00:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: venividivici10044a

quote:

How about changing it to Georgia Peach :) I guarantee you'd get all sorts of baseball aficionados calling at that point. Certainly OT, but I'm happy to see the last 2 bios on him are relying less on Al Stump. They have definitely built up from the older Alexander standard.

I think Georgia on my Mind would be better..

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/4/2017 7:07:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: venividivici10044a

quote:

I think Georgia on my Mind would be better..

Nice title, but I am sure there would be royalties to be paid for using it!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 12:04:26 AM)

The magazine was founded in 1984 as North Georgia Journal magazine, a good name with a big following. Around 2001, the owner decided to make the magazine statewide. He considered many new names and had selected Georgia Geographic. At the time, I was merely an occasional freelance writer, but I felt strongly enough about it to urge him not to choose that name. I just didn't like it. So he went with his second choice, Georgia Backroads, which I think works well.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 12:09:49 AM)

4/22/44

Fun House: A good and productive day as the Allies work to advance and solidify their grip on Sulu Sea bases bordering the South China Sea. See map for details.

I don't think John will allow this to continue. His emails have been particularly interesting of late - more for what he doesn't say than what he says. He seems to be particularly irritated or troubled, either by the game situation or perhaps some aspect of the game that isn't sitting well with him. He hasn't said anything, but he hasn't been his usual self the past few days. It could be purely my imagination, though, so I'll just monitor for now.

I think he's going to bring in his BBs from the Bay of Bengal and KB from CenPac. I think he'll try to work a combined attack with kamikazes and LBA. At this point I don't think he has much of a choice.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/B1FC3EF25BD44C0DA5D71271B440A67A.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 1:32:06 AM)

Did the BB TF refuel at all? To my knowledge, infantry units leaving hexes don't affect bombardment orders.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 1:38:21 AM)

It was set to "Do Not Refuel," had plenty of ammo, and had expended no ops points. It was set to go. Very strange, but I think I've encountered this before. This turn, I set it to bombard a different hex before re-setting it to bombard Atimonan - just to see if that shakes it free of its lethargy.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 3:54:18 AM)

quote:

It was set to "Do Not Refuel," had plenty of ammo, and had expended no ops points. It was set to go. Very strange, but I think I've encountered this before. This turn, I set it to bombard a different hex before re-setting it to bombard Atimonan - just to see if that shakes it free of its lethargy.

What about threat/routing settings?

The only times my bombardments don't go in, it's because they think they can't get there in the night phase.

Also, what beta are you running? There was a slight bug before one of the ones from last summer...

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 4:40:19 AM)

quote:

Some other possibilities:

1. The DL on the base dropped too low for adequate targeting. I started having FPs do night recon of the target before the TF arrives in the target hex, and another FP set to spot for the bombardment. It definitely reduced the incidence of frozen bombardment TFs.
2. Weather
3. Mines or other threats, with the TF set to normal routing rather than absolute

palioboy2 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 4:56:26 AM)

How exactly does one set a FP to spot for the bombardment?

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 5:49:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: palioboy2

Set to recon mission. You typically want them set to night time, as almost all bombardments go in at night. Despite the message in the combat report saying it's just spotting for 1 ship, it spots for all after the message shows up.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Some other possibilities:

1. The DL on the base dropped too low for adequate targeting. I started having FPs do night recon of the target before the TF arrives in the target hex, and another FP set to spot for the bombardment. It definitely reduced the incidence of frozen bombardment TFs.
2. Weather
3. Mines or other threats, with the TF set to normal routing rather than absolute

I don't think any of these things would prevent the bombardment from going in. Poor DL would just mean poor results, weather doesn't affect ship movement as far as I know, and the TF would just run into mines.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 10:20:55 AM)

quote:

He seems to be particularly irritated or troubled, either by the game situation or perhaps some aspect of the game that isn't sitting well with him.

[image]local://upfiles/31520/10755EA7C7854C31B7FB037E937F7347.jpg[/image]

HansBolter -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 12:27:21 PM)

quote:

Set a float plane squadron from a ship in the TF, any ship will do, to recon the targeted base. Set it for daytime recon for a daytime bombardment and night recon for a night bombardment.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 3:16:19 PM)

quote:

To add to what Lokasenna said, it seems to work best if you set the FP with 0 range and no target hex. I guess if you set a target hex it just does recon, but leaving the target blank frees it up to do spotting.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 3:24:44 PM)

DL is essential for bombardments of troops in non-base hexes, so why wouldn't it affect bombardment in a base hex. The fixed location of the base is known but you want to be able to hit something worthwhile, not just throw shells in that direction.

And weather can obscure the target and coastal reference points, aborting the mission. I never said the ships did not move - I think they went to Atimonan, couldn't do the deed and returned still (frozen) in bombardment mode.

I have seen other ships balk at entering a hex with enemy mines, ships or in range of enemy aircraft. Low aggression and cautious routing orders seem to cause that.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 3:55:20 PM)

Dan, would you post a screenie of your top pilots? I asked John to do the same. Just curious about it.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 5:04:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

To add to what Lokasenna said, it seems to work best if you set the FP with 0 range and no target hex. I guess if you set a target hex it just does recon, but leaving the target blank frees it up to do spotting.

I don't think these things matter, except indirectly. By setting a range greater than 0, you could have planes flying missions at that range and therefore increase pilot fatigue, which could factor into whether the plane is launched for bombardment recon or not. Same with the target hex.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 5:07:46 PM)

quote:

DL is essential for bombardments of troops in non-base hexes, so why wouldn't it affect bombardment in a base hex. The fixed location of the base is known but you want to be able to hit something worthwhile, not just throw shells in that direction.

And weather can obscure the target and coastal reference points, aborting the mission. I never said the ships did not move - I think they went to Atimonan, couldn't do the deed and returned still (frozen) in bombardment mode.

I have seen other ships balk at entering a hex with enemy mines, ships or in range of enemy aircraft. Low aggression and cautious routing orders seem to cause that.

Because you are bombarding the base which doesn't move. If DL is extremely low or nonexistent, the TF will simply expend less ammo and your results will be worse (above and beyond simply firing no shots - I've seen many a bombardment that gets no hits and it just says "Firing at Atimonan"). Further, bombardments of non-base hexes strike me as a special case given how special they are to set up.

CR could check whether fuel was burned by the TF (beyond simply staying in the Naga hex), but I pretty much guarantee that if he does check he'll find that the TF did not move. If they'd gone to Atimonan, they would have bombarded. Weather doesn't matter a lick (I'm not sure it even prevents the float planes from spotting).

I don't think ships move or don't move because of mines at all, or at least I've never seen it. Particularly never from a bombardment TF. I'd also be surprised if John had mines at Atimonan - it's not really a worthwhile place to drop them.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 7:54:11 PM)

4/23/44

A quietly productive day across the map. The map shall speak to events.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/DA67E0DF52E146E1BAC26C973E2BAC84.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/5/2017 8:02:26 PM)

Here you go, Ross. I posted this screen about two weeks ago. I doubt things have changed markedly since then.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/23F39AE519794CC1AA682EBD506167C6.jpg[/image]

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 7:50:21 PM)

quote:

Here you go, Ross. I posted this screen about two weeks ago. I doubt things have changed markedly since then.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/23F39AE519794CC1AA682EBD506167C6.jpg[/image]

Sorry missed it back then. Not out of line with mine. Amazing that your top jock is flying a P40 and still alive..

Bong and Pappy Boyington only lasted a mission or two but Neale was a top gun in both of my campaigns.

Robert Neale (May 3, 1914[1] – 1994) was the top flying ace with the American Volunteer Group (AVG), amassing 13 victories.[2]

He left his studies at the University of Washington to enlist in the United States Navy in 1938.[1] He became an aviator, receiving his wings in 1939, and was a dive-bomber pilot on the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga (CV-3), flying the Curtiss SBC Helldiver and Douglas SBD Dauntless.[1] Ensign Neale resigned his commission to join the AVG of the Chinese Air Force in June 1941.[1]

He took over the AVG's 1st Squadron (the "Adam & Eves") after its commander, Robert Sandy Sandell, was killed, and was decorated by the British government with the Distinguished Service Order for his exploits in the defense of Burma. Neale was one of the AVG pilots who volunteered two weeks' additional service in China after the group was disbanded; during that interim, he commanded the U.S. Army's 23rd Fighter Group—as a civilian—pending the arrival of the designated commander, Colonel Robert Scott. He declined a commission as a major in the United States Army Air Forces.[1] The AVG records credit him with 13 air-to-air victories, making him its top-scoring ace.

After returning to the United States, he served as a civilian transport or ferry pilot for Pan American World Airways. He was running a Camano Island fishing resort at the time of his death in 1994.[2]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 7:56:50 PM)

He's not flying P-40Ks today - he's in a P-47. The "Top Pilots" screen must show the plane a pilot was in for most of his kills or for his most recent kill. But Neale has been in a Thunderbolt for many, many months now.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/46C18E0A719F4FC0B8EFBFF525C13431.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI