RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Dirtnap86 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 9:06:36 PM)

Yowza, 327 kills for that squadron, hooboy. I take it they were one of the ones that attended Sabang?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 9:23:15 PM)

Yes, that's right. Long-time readers will recall the intensity and length of the Sumatra campaign. I was able to transfer in P-40Ks F4Fs (and some other fighters) via Ramree Island (range 23 hexes). And my carriers also provided staging points for fighters, though eventually I moved the flattops out of harm's way. I didn't have enough pools to sustain the fight, but the Warhawks, Wildcats and Lightnings really performed well. As a result, a number of LBA and carrier fighter squadrons have high kill totals and very good pilots.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 9:25:19 PM)

4/24/44

A fine day. Most of the details are on the map, but highlights:

Fun House: Landings at Taytay are unopposed.

Burma: The enemy left flank is showing signs of collapse, though John may be able to reinforce and stabilize.

CenPac: KB sighted at Truk, giving me info needed to act on.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/7597122730EE42D29829C6E38B9D88DC.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 9:43:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

Yowza, 327 kills for that squadron, hooboy. I take it they were one of the ones that attended Sabang?

That's it?!? [:D]

mind_messing -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 9:49:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

Please, I don't even want to know...

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/6/2017 10:34:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Please, I don't even want to know...

I made a mental note to post some screenies of my own later. [sm=innocent0009.gif]

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 12:36:40 AM)

I wonder if if would be worthwhile to fly some paratroops into Cabanatuan? It does seem to give access to the road and rail routes -- if there's a lightly defended base on the north coast of Luzon, you might be able to bypass Manila and starve it for a couple of months before cleaning up. (If John continues his current level of inactivity [:-])

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 12:49:49 AM)

Interesting how you distribute your pilots. I rarely put a pilot in a group with an air skill below 70-69. Have plenty enough in the pool by mid 43. Though your pilot experience is high, I always pull experienced pilots with air skills below 69 out of units and send them to train.

DW -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 2:06:04 AM)

It might be useful to delve into the rules covering a base auto-flipping.

As you noted, Cabanatuan's flip seems unusual given the size of the Japanese force next door.

Depending on what the rules are, it could reveal some information.

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 2:55:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

Are there any? Based on this example I'm not so sure! [;)]

bradfordkay -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 2:56:42 AM)

The prisoners and Filipino guerrillas must have fomented an uprising.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 4:46:37 AM)

quote:

As you noted, Cabanatuan's flip seems unusual given the size of the Japanese force next door.

Well, it means the place was empty... and also that maybe CR has more AV present nearby than John does. That's the general pattern I've noticed, anyway.

Yakface -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 9:03:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Interesting how you distribute your pilots. I rarely put a pilot in a group with an air skill below 70-69. Have plenty enough in the pool by mid 43. Though your pilot experience is high, I always pull experienced pilots with air skills below 69 out of units and send them to train.

Also, I notice some of the defence values of those pilots are very low - twenties and thirties. Do you not find that compromises their performance?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 2:59:17 PM)

4/25/44

Burma: The Allies take Toungoo, and the Japanese MLR may be crumbling. See map for details.

Fun House: A quietly productive day, as Death Star moves SE out of the Sulu Sea (see next map for details). However, the Allied reinforcement TFs at Boela declined to leave port (probably one TF hadn't finished loading). This will slow things down a bit.

KB: No sign of it today, though recon didn't fly Truk due to weather.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/17E18E322BE24EAD91BB2D0D1321E6BC.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 3:06:39 PM)

Fun House

[image]local://upfiles/8143/29BF596F4FE9457AA82A17C7DF5B46C3.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 3:12:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface
Also, I notice some of the defence values of those pilots are very low - twenties and thirties. Do you not find that compromises their performance?

I would benefit from an aide-d'-camp that could point out all the little housekeeping chores that need attending to.

Despite the low defense values for many of the pilots in this squadron it performs very well in combat.

For the most part, Burma has been quiet since mid 1943. The Allies stood down all aircraft from the late spring through the end of the year. When I resumed the bombing campaign on January 2, 1944, John chose not to commit his fighters. He's changed that recently, bringing some in every now and then, but they've mostly gotten chewed up, either in aerial combat or on the ground.

The DEI has been the most hotly contested air space, so more top-notch squadrons and pilots are found there. The same holds true for the Philippines, though to this point the air war hasn't really started. I have 200+ fighters at Legaspi to protect the base, but John isn't attacking.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 3:16:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

Well, it means the place was empty... and also that maybe CR has more AV present nearby than John does. That's the general pattern I've noticed, anyway.

Even if John has stripped Manila of all assault value (I don't think he has, but it's possible) it would still be impossible to make use of Cabanatuan. He has tons of infantry nearby. Any Allied landings in northern Luzon would be surrounded and probably destroyed.

He's showing reluctance to advance on Legaspi/Naga, which I think is a good call for him. But I believe he has 150+k in Luzon, just waiting for a chance to pounce. So I won't airlift troops to Cabanatuan nor will I be invading Aparri or San Fernando or nearby bases anytime soon.

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 3:22:30 PM)

That looks like nice progress in Burma. It would sure be sweet to get Rangoon. Fair warning: Rangoon can be built up to a very high level fort. In my AI game the Japanese built it up to level 8! But as you said, if you take Pegu then Rangoon will, eventually, be cut off.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 4:00:45 PM)

Both sides can claim victory in Burma, I suppose.

John did a good job of creating that MLR from Prome to Toungoo. It held for something like six or eight weeks.

And I'm advancing with a small army, using mostly air power, and drawing in enemy assets (LCU, LBA, and even BBs) that John could use better elsewhere.

The objective is pretty much to just keep applying pressure so that John will respond by committing his assets here.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 5:28:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

I would benefit from an aide-d'-camp that could point out all the little housekeeping chores that need attending to.

Despite the low defense values for many of the pilots in this squadron it performs very well in combat.

For the most part, Burma has been quiet since mid 1943. The Allies stood down all aircraft from the late spring through the end of the year. When I resumed the bombing campaign on January 2, 1944, John chose not to commit his fighters. He's changed that recently, bringing some in every now and then, but they've mostly gotten chewed up, either in aerial combat or on the ground.

The DEI has been the most hotly contested air space, so more top-notch squadrons and pilots are found there. The same holds true for the Philippines, though to this point the air war hasn't really started. I have 200+ fighters at Legaspi to protect the base, but John isn't attacking.

Those pilots look like recently-arrived replacements. They have a low mission count. They could be sent back to the pools and replaced using the "Request Veteran" option.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 5:59:24 PM)

4/26/44

A fine day all cross the map, as a Japanese shock attack in Burma fails, Japanese LBA strikes against Allied shipping in northern Oz fail, KB is sighted at Truk, Death Star strikes an enemy merchant TF, the DEI reinforcement TFs make good time steaming north, and all this has riled up John, which is good for game progress.

Fun House: See this map.

Burma: See following map.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/2E52C3F8B3AE49D682D33BE7829524D9.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 6:00:28 PM)

Burma

[image]local://upfiles/8143/B66D1AB668D94F86AE4C9594CBFBB7DA.jpg[/image]

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 6:09:48 PM)

What was on those ships near Jolo? Troops, or supply?

Things are looking very promising for the Allies, both in Burma and the PI. Good work!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/7/2017 6:10:49 PM)

No troops aboard those ships. They were bound from the Makassar Strait north, so possibly carrying fuel or supply or resources.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/8/2017 4:45:21 PM)

4/27/44

The Allies move forward in Burma and the Philippine Sea in preparation for the next round of assaults. See map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/CD2447D84B5B4F50BBD55B62AB1DC727.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/8/2017 8:49:14 PM)

Nearly all of my posts are tactical and operational updates. Strategic thoughts and planning are generalized, marginalized, or avoided. Here's an update:

Operation Peep Show is the "next big thing" following Fun House. The objectives were selected at the same time, back in the early autumn of '43. The timeline calls for Peep Show in early autumn, though timing is dependent on Fun House progress or lack thereof.

There will be other major operations in the Pacific (mainly important mop-ups) and in the DEI (to seize key bases that John needs for oil or that have high points for eventual auto-victory determination). Troops are prepping and, in some cases, already moving. I have plenty of good units available for these duties, but I don't yet have the shipping to provide adequate security. John is and has been champing t the bit to bushwhack juicy TFs bound for the Coral Sea or Marcus. I think that's where KB has been all this time - at or near Truk, awaiting an expected Allied move on Marcus or Eniwetok. Until KB is dealt with, I'll have to proceed cautiously with the mop-up operations.

Overall, my priorities remain: (1) targeting the Kaigun; (2) interdicting enemy oil bases/LOCs; and (3) taking airfields that can be used in an efficient strategic bombing campaign vs. the Home Islands.

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/9/2017 2:43:28 AM)

Peep Show sounds a bit ... kinky. [;)] Wonder what area you're targeting.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/9/2017 2:58:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Peep Show sounds a bit ... kinky. [;)] Wonder what area you're targeting.

A clandestine geisha hangout...?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/9/2017 3:06:37 AM)

The first page of any Operation Peep Show paperwork features this:

[image]local://upfiles/8143/FC984EADDC46434AA12486B1C4424409.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (2/9/2017 3:07:42 AM)

Or this, depending on the mood of the originator of the paperwork.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6C2E53354DD642E09937FCE916AED70E.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI