RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 12:45:37 AM)

so put the planes under him, get some excellent detection on your next target and lets see what happens. This HQ stuff is voodoo sometimes strategic bombing is not much clearer

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 12:56:00 AM)

Man, I don't have enough political points.

I have 500 saved up, by the highest priority is to buy out an Indian division.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 12:12:18 PM)

Chenault is commander of the 14th USAAF attached to the XX Bomber Command.

Half of my B-29s (all of those that arrived via Aden) are assigned to XX Bomber Command (which is under Southeast Asia HQ). The other half (all that arrived via Eastern USA) are assigned to XXI Bomber Command, also part of SE Asia HQ.

XX Bomber Command is currently at Aparri (hey, that's not far from Foochow - I can transfer it by air, if that would be helpful). XXI Bomber Command currently isn't in the game. Southeast Asia HQ is currently at Saigon.

Is the current arrangement satisfactory or do I need to do something to enhance the command of the Superforts? Should I pay PP to switch all the Superforts to 14th HQ for about 25 PP each (that'll be roughly 500 PP). Should I pay PP to switch Chenault from 14th USAAF to XX for about 140 PP? Should I do nothing and wait for people who know what they're doing to chime in?

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 1:21:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Half of my B-29s (all of those that arrived via Aden) are assigned to XX Bomber Command (which is under Southeast Asia HQ). The other half (all that arrived via Eastern USA) are assigned to XXI Bomber Command, also part of SE Asia HQ.

XX Bomber Command is currently at Aparri (hey, that's not far from Foochow - I can transfer it by air, if that would be helpful). XXI Bomber Command currently isn't in the game. Southeast Asia HQ is currently at Saigon.

Is the current arrangement satisfactory or do I need to do something to enhance the command of the Superforts? Should I pay PP to switch all the Superforts to 14th HQ for about 25 PP each (that'll be roughly 500 PP). Should I pay PP to switch Chenault from 14th USAAF to XX for about 140 PP? Should I do nothing and wait for people who know what they're doing to chime in?

I wouldn't pay PP to change air commands, unless you notice them really having trouble.

Just make sure the base isn't over stacked, or crowded, and has adequate AV support, good commanders, etc.

I would not bomb without good DL...otherwise it is a big hex!

AcePylut -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 2:17:34 PM)

I was under the impression that “any” air HQ would work for the air groups in its HQ range. I’d really like to know if there is an increase in “air group effectiveness” if the air group is part of that air HQ’s command vs “any” air HQ’s command.

Like what Canoe asked… If my Air Group is part of the XX air HQ TOE, and the XX Air HQ is at this air groups base, does the air group perform “better” than if it would if the Air Group HQ was, say, the XIV Air HQ...

...because if it does, omg there’s a whole ‘nother layer of micromanagement to be done! No longer is it “slap an air HQ at the base and roll with it”. Now it’s “make sure the air HQ is the same HQ as the planes at the base”

GetAssista -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 2:59:51 PM)

Leaders (HQa and Airgroup ones) matter for making planes fly. While they are in the air, it is weather/DL/height/skill/xp that determine your accuracy. And target size - much easier to hit large industry pieces. Aircraft factory is a small one, I doubt John has something large (100+) built up in Harbin.
Anyway, with no DL and no large raids your best bet so far is keeping John honest, making him CAP in the rear. Also port bombing

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 3:00:34 PM)

quote:

My experience is that strike coordination will be increased--I don't know how much--if every group is under the same air command. At this point in the war I'd spend PPs there before I'd buy an Indian LCU. Bigger strikes mean less disruption from CAP.

But your previous issue isn't HQs, it's bombing the wrong target at night. That isn't an HQ issue. Hitting one building at night from 10,000 feet while getting shot at is really hard in 2017. It was pretty much blind luck in 1944. I've had OK results night bombing oil fields if they're large. Very little success targeting even HI, and that's many buildings (abstracted.) In AI games where I did mass night bombing the only way I've really damaged aircraft industry targets is with fires caused by Manpower targeting. Maybe 9000-11000 feet. Above the balloons and above almost all the AA.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 3:06:58 PM)

Synchronize all... Air Command with Air Forces - with recon for high DL - with the weather and you will be dancing on clouds!

[image]local://upfiles/55056/DE61C18F10C84344A33AD67E0E9BAF35.gif[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 3:10:59 PM)

I don't think air HQ is more important than an Indian division at this point, but only for reasons that I know and you don't know.

At the moment, the air war is in good shape. Really I'm focusing only on keeping Formosa suppressed, and that's going very well: 95% of my active bombers and fighters are employed in that capacity from nearby airfields. It won't be until Formosa falls that I'll turn my attention fully to strategic bombing. At that point I'll need to make sure all my ducks are in a row. That may be a six to twelves weeks down the road.

In the meantime, I'm leaning pretty far forward in Indochina. My troops are concentrated near Saigon and near Hanoi. If John gets creative and lands three or five divisions at Moulmein or east of Bangkok, I'll have major problems on my hands. There is a chance he could sever my LOC. I do have 2nd UK Division posted at Bangkok in reserve, along with some Indian brigades and one big Chinese corps. I'll feel better once I get that next Indian division paid for an properly posted in reserve (I'm going to buy them out one RCT at a time). Allied air power should also help keep John cautious.

There is a chance he'll do something of this nature. And if he succeeded in cutting off supply to my forward units so that they had to stop or withdraw, an important part of the growing China campaign would come to an unfortunate standstill.

So PPs for an Indian division have a very high priority at the moment.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 3:15:01 PM)

Makee: Words will not suffice....

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 4:31:07 PM)

My limited experience is if all squadrons in a base are under the same command as the HQ and the HQ is in range missions will be more coheasive. So sweeps and strikes will go in in larger groups instead of fragments

HansBolter -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 4:43:28 PM)

If you're buying it out one RCT at a time you should already have more than enough to buy the first one with 500 in the bank.

Indian divisions typically only cost around 1,100 to buy out whole.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 4:45:05 PM)

This one costs about 1500 PP. I nearly have enough to buy the first RCT.

DW -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 8:06:48 PM)

quote:

If John gets creative and lands three or five divisions at Moulmein or east of Bangkok, I'll have major problems on my hands. There is a chance he could sever my LOC.

Couldn't you just ship some supplies in by sea?

It seems to me you could use your sea control to cut off his units and keep yours supplied.

More grist for the mill.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 8:07:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

I was under the impression that “any” air HQ would work for the air groups in its HQ range. I’d really like to know if there is an increase in “air group effectiveness” if the air group is part of that air HQ’s command vs “any” air HQ’s command.

Like what Canoe asked… If my Air Group is part of the XX air HQ TOE, and the XX Air HQ is at this air groups base, does the air group perform “better” than if it would if the Air Group HQ was, say, the XIV Air HQ...

...because if it does, omg there’s a whole ‘nother layer of micromanagement to be done! No longer is it “slap an air HQ at the base and roll with it”. Now it’s “make sure the air HQ is the same HQ as the planes at the base”

Back a couple of years when the forums were trying to figure out how to get better strike coordination, Nemo posted a sample of one of his strikes - perfect coordination of multiple squadrons flying different aircraft from various bases, and his sweeps came in ahead of the bombers. He wouldn't say exactly how he made it happen but the hints were that the Command HQ, Air HQs, squadron assignment to HQs, and base administration (which Command HQ they report to) were all lined up. I am sure he would also have paid attention to the Air and Leadership skills of the squadron commanders.

But the developers have also said that non-aligned HQs will also help other squadrons - perhaps moreso with admin tasks like training, repair and replacement rather than operations.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 8:12:30 PM)

quote:

I don't think air HQ is more important than an Indian division at this point, but only for reasons that I know and you don't know.

At the moment, the air war is in good shape. Really I'm focusing only on keeping Formosa suppressed, and that's going very well: 95% of my active bombers and fighters are employed in that capacity from nearby airfields. It won't be until Formosa falls that I'll turn my attention fully to strategic bombing. At that point I'll need to make sure all my ducks are in a row. That may be a six to twelves weeks down the road.

In the meantime, I'm leaning pretty far forward in Indochina. My troops are concentrated near Saigon and near Hanoi. If John gets creative and lands three or five divisions at Moulmein or east of Bangkok, I'll have major problems on my hands. There is a chance he could sever my LOC. I do have 2nd UK Division posted at Bangkok in reserve, along with some Indian brigades and one big Chinese corps. I'll feel better once I get that next Indian division paid for an properly posted in reserve (I'm going to buy them out one RCT at a time). Allied air power should also help keep John cautious.

There is a chance he'll do something of this nature. And if he succeeded in cutting off supply to my forward units so that they had to stop or withdraw, an important part of the growing China campaign would come to an unfortunate standstill.

So PPs for an Indian division have a very high priority at the moment.

A counter-strike like this requires plenty of planning and logistics prep before it goes ahead. John is aggressive enough to try such a counter-stroke but I don't believe he would invest the time required to set up the ships, aircraft and supplies needed to support such an amphib operation in your LOC.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 8:37:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

Couldn't you just ship some supplies in by sea?

It seems to me you could use your sea control to cut off his units and keep yours supplied.

More grist for the mill.

Sending supply ships to Indochina would use up a tremendous amount of fuel (full combat and carrier support would be necessary, at least for now). More importantly, the supply would probably end up disappearing into the vast network of hexes and might never reach the most needy troops.

That's an unhappy recipe right there. Safeguarding my LOC is much more certain and efficient.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 8:39:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

A counter-strike like this requires plenty of planning and logistics prep before it goes ahead. John is aggressive enough to try such a counter-stroke but I don't believe he would invest the time required to set up the ships, aircraft and supplies needed to support such an amphib operation in your LOC.

A few old timers will remember that in my WitP game against John III some 10 years ago, he invaded India en masse in 1944. I am absolutely certain he will not make a mistake like that, but I am quite certain that he's considered counterinvading in the Thailand region. I'm not saying he'll do it, but I had better be prepared; because I'm equally certain that an ounce of prevention is preferable to the pound of cure it will take to unravel things.

Jellicoe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 9:34:42 PM)

What does sigint say? One would hope at this stage of the war you might get a snifter of something. And are you tracking the big infantry divisions and tank divisions?

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 10:15:15 PM)

quote:

A few old timers will remember that in my WitP game against John III some 10 years ago, he invaded India en masse in 1944. I am absolutely certain he will not make a mistake like that, but I am quite certain that he's considered counterinvading in the Thailand region. I'm not saying he'll do it, but I had better be prepared; because I'm equally certain that an ounce of prevention is preferable to the pound of cure it will take to unravel things.

Heh, John hasn't been updating much so I am not talking out of school. My 1st thought when you said the KB vanished is that he is headed up to kill shipping in the Bay of Bengal. Not sure he would get too far away from you at this point and I don't know your dispositions but he could make a ruckus up that way

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 10:29:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Back a couple of years when the forums were trying to figure out how to get better strike coordination, Nemo posted a sample of one of his strikes - perfect coordination of multiple squadrons flying different aircraft from various bases, and his sweeps came in ahead of the bombers. He wouldn't say exactly how he made it happen but the hints were that the Command HQ, Air HQs, squadron assignment to HQs, and base administration (which Command HQ they report to) were all lined up. I am sure he would also have paid attention to the Air and Leadership skills of the squadron commanders.

But the developers have also said that non-aligned HQs will also help other squadrons - perhaps moreso with admin tasks like training, repair and replacement rather than operations.

The underlying code has changed a fair bit since Nemo's last game...especially air coordination.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 10:40:16 PM)

The only relative thing I could find in the "What's New.pdf" was...

18.Increased effect of same air hq and group leader (and removed raid leader affect) on raid coordination.

72. Gameplay Change: Command level headquarter units now behave like an Air HQ for the purpose of determining the over-stacking limits of airfields. The effect radius of a command HQ extends out to twice the command radius, but only applies half the affect when the distance to the base is more than the command radius.

and from "FAQ / Info for Newb's"

Air Headquarters -
• Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.
• Air Group stacking at a base is improved by Air HQ. The best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, or if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups. Important note: for this to work, the base and the Air HQ must be attached to the same command.
• Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions.
• Air HQ have aviation support squads, so they can provide support to air groups
• Most Air HQ have either support or motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.
• All other air strike Missions by units outside an air HQ’s command radius will have the flying planes reduced by 10%.
• Not sure if any of the leader qualities matter..

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/16/2017 10:49:17 PM)

Those reading John's AAR (or both AARs) know that he is involved in a major change involving his job, transitioning from employee to owner. It's going to take some time and it'll undoubtedly involve a fair amount of stress...and some disruptions in game play. (I went through the same thing 12 years ago and can remember waking up at 3 a.m., kind of panicky and thinking, "How is this going to work!") I hope he'll do a decent job of letting me know when a turn is coming (or not coming, which can be just as important). Other than that, I'll play 'em when he sends 'em and try to encourage him whenever possible - uh, encourage him in real life, not in the game; in the game, Japan must die.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 1:07:42 AM)

quote:

I never spend PP to switch out air unit HQs. I never had any trouble with my B29s flying missions out of the South Pacific. Coordination may suffer a bit (but I have my doubts) It is just that I never felt like I could spend PPs changing any type of HQ. Personally, I would go for the Indian Division. But if you are in mid 44 and have not bought out all Indian divisions then you need to go back to school. You have missed something. [;)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 1:12:32 AM)

I have two restricted Indian divisions still on the board.

I work the Political Points system pretty hard, especially for commanders: ground units, air units, task force, ships and subs.

That's where a disproportionate amount of my PPs have gone. Also, in this mod, I get 50 per day. John changed that to 60 per day (after considering 100 per day) for later editions of this mod.

PP are always in short supply. I just bought out an American division. One Indian division is next. Then I'll perhaps work on air HQ stuff, or perhaps that last Indian division.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 1:38:42 PM)

quote:

I work the Political Points system pretty hard, especially for commanders: ground units, air units, task force, ships and subs.

That's where a disproportionate amount of my PPs have gone. Also, in this mod, I get 50 per day. John changed that to 60 per day (after considering 100 per day) for later editions of this mod.

PP are always in short supply. I just bought out an American division. One Indian division is next. Then I'll perhaps work on air HQ stuff, or perhaps that last Indian division.

Buying out the Indian divisions is costly. I do it by disbanding one or two at any given time. I push the their much needed squads to fully fill out divisions that are already released (they all are all weak at the start) and then when the division comes back in six months buy out the cadre at a bargain and then rebuild it. You can be in very good shape by mid 1943 if you plan this. However, it the enemy invests heavily in attacking India, you have to proceed a lot more cautiously.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 1:55:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Buying out the Indian divisions is costly. I do it by disbanding one or two at any given time. I push the their much needed squads to fully fill out divisions that are already released (they all are all weak at the start) and then when the division comes back in six months buy out the cadre at a bargain and then rebuild it. You can be in very good shape by mid 1943 if you plan this. However, it the enemy invests heavily in attacking India, you have to proceed a lot more cautiously.

And you wonder why Japan fights the evil allies! Dirty tricks like this![:D]

Actually, many JFBs will buy out trashed restricted units in China pretty much doing the exact same thing! [;)]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 2:17:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

Dang! That is fiendishly clever.[:)]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 2:20:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

And you wonder why Japan fights the evil allies! Dirty tricks like this![:D]

Actually, many JFBs will buy out trashed restricted units in China pretty much doing the exact same thing! [;)]

I don't at all mind buying out trashed divisions. Disbanding one to buy out later I don't think I would do. Just YMMV.

palioboy2 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/17/2017 3:07:26 PM)

Man that's a genius idea. My opponent hasnt put any pressure on me in India/Burma but I haven't been able to counterattack because all of my PP has gone to buying units used in defending against his all out attacking Oz.

Page: <<   < prev  364 365 [366] 367 368   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI