RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

palioboy2 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 6:09:23 AM)

Is that true foe the whole war Lowpe? Or just after a certain point?

Reg -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 8:08:19 AM)

Its because the allies enter their orders after Japan.

JFBs are always moaning about it.

Itdepends -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 10:01:06 AM)

It is my suspiscion that the free movement you are referring to is now useable by both sides. I would have expected it to have been fixed at the same time that the bug that allowed the allied player to spot planes relocated to empty base hexes immediately after the japanese order phaes was fixed.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 2:48:13 PM)

Would not movement detection depend on DL or is it a bug as Itdepends mentions?

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 2:54:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Would not movement detection depend on DL or is it a bug as Itdepends mentions?

LCU movement can be detected without the normal recon or bombing that is required to raise D/L. It is somewhat random, but I think it simulates scouts or informants from the local population providing info on what they have seen.
You can definitely raise the probability of good info on movement direction by having recon, bombing or LCU contact with the enemy.

Encircled -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 2:55:54 PM)

Remember how hard it is for Chinese units to detect Japanese units movement arrows as well

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 3:48:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Remember how hard it is for Chinese units to detect Japanese units movement arrows as well

Troop quality and leadership are factors as well. Terrain too. Also, I think if you have surplus recon and set them to patrol with no target there is a chance that they will spot random units. The Chinese have to just assume that there is a Japanese unit moving at all time. Sucks but there you have it...

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 4:04:12 PM)

John's gone missing.

Yesterday morning, he sent an email that included this note: "Your turn will come back sometime today.  No idea as to exactly when but it will come."

No turn came. He was on the forum a few times during the day, but didn't send the turn nor an update.

I emailed him late last night to let him know a turn hadn't come, in case he'd tried to send it or thought he'd sent it. No reply.

I don't know what's become of the lad.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 4:20:14 PM)

He's probably declared independence. [:'(]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 4:31:06 PM)

He knows I don't celebrate Independence Day. Today is the 164th anniversary of the fall of Vicksburg and the commencement of the Confederate withdrawal from Gettysburg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvxyNmOK4ck

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 6:13:33 PM)

When Johnny Comes Marching Home...by the Andrew Sisters. Not a very southern version...but has an upbeat tempo to take your mind off no turns.[:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38Tatijd4o

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 7:38:21 PM)

9/10/44

The Japanese are jockeying for position in Indochina and China. The Allies are two days away from attacking at Takao.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/A9177F297DEA48D3A77AB5B161F7E9CC.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 7:39:16 PM)

Oops, duplicate post. So I'll use this for something exciting later.

Edited several days later to add: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmfLHXiAhA

Jean Shepherd in that role? Paulette Goddard???? Lana Turner?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 8:45:19 PM)

Intelligence Screen

[image]local://upfiles/8143/EC3EED8EB2ED47EBB752194A0A08D958.jpg[/image]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 10:02:32 PM)

An aside on VPs. If you're short of troops all you have to do to reduce his VPs in a big way is bombard away his supply on this or that island. Given his situation I doubt he can resupply them. You don't need BB bombardments to hit supply dumps. It's tedious, but it's a fair bit of VPs on the table.

From the Victory Conditions:

Control of Base - Each base has a basic VP level for Allied ownership and one for Japanese
ownership. The final victory point value that is awarded to the controlling player at the end of
the game is figured by the following formula:
»» Basic VP# x [ ( current size of port ) + ( current size of airfield x 2) ]
The basic VP and final VP numbers for each side are displayed for each base when the mouse
cursor is placed over a base (the basic VP number value is in parenthesis).

This full amount of the final VP value is only scored at the end of the game if the base has
supplies at least equal to its needed supplies. If supplies are lower than the required amount,
the VP’s scored will be less than this maximum, (the lower the supplies the lower the scored
VP’s). Bases with 0 supplies would score 25% of the full final points.

Example: Rabaul has a Basic Japanese VP level of 3. Assuming the size of the airfield is 8, and
the size of the port is 7, the Final VP level for Japanese ownership of Rabaul is 3 x [ (7) + (8 x
2) ] or 69. As long as Rabaul had more than its supplies needed, the Japanese player would
score 69. If Rabaul’s supplies were only equal to 30% of its needs, the Japanese player would
score only 33 VP’s.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 10:24:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

An aside on VPs. If you're short of troops all you have to do to reduce his VPs in a big way is bombard away his supply on this or that island. Given his situation I doubt he can resupply them. You don't need BB bombardments to hit supply dumps. It's tedious, but it's a fair bit of VPs on the table.

From the Victory Conditions:

Control of Base - Each base has a basic VP level for Allied ownership and one for Japanese
ownership. The final victory point value that is awarded to the controlling player at the end of
the game is figured by the following formula:
»» Basic VP# x [ ( current size of port ) + ( current size of airfield x 2) ]
The basic VP and final VP numbers for each side are displayed for each base when the mouse
cursor is placed over a base (the basic VP number value is in parenthesis).

This full amount of the final VP value is only scored at the end of the game if the base has
supplies at least equal to its needed supplies. If supplies are lower than the required amount,
the VP’s scored will be less than this maximum, (the lower the supplies the lower the scored
VP’s). Bases with 0 supplies would score 25% of the full final points.

Example: Rabaul has a Basic Japanese VP level of 3. Assuming the size of the airfield is 8, and
the size of the port is 7, the Final VP level for Japanese ownership of Rabaul is 3 x [ (7) + (8 x
2) ] or 69. As long as Rabaul had more than its supplies needed, the Japanese player would
score 69. If Rabaul’s supplies were only equal to 30% of its needs, the Japanese player would
score only 33 VP’s.

I was able to extend my game by running supplies into large bases like Rabaul at the end of my game...made quite a few posts about how to do it as Japan in my AAR vs Tiemanj.[:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/4/2017 10:42:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I was able to extend my game by running supplies into large bases like Rabaul at the end of my game...made quite a few posts about how to do it as Japan in my AAR vs Tiemanj.[:)]

It depends if Japan has that fuel to spare. Ships to spare (xAKs are VPs too.) And if the Allies make it enough of a Whack a Mole game they can't keep up. This won't win, but it will bleed Japan.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 12:32:59 AM)

For the Long Riders of the Pacific.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ8JIa98kAw

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 4:54:40 PM)

9/11/44

Battle of Taihoku, Formosa: John opens the battle with a surprise deliberate attack that fails and likely opens the door to a quicker Allied victory here.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/1566825898804723AFE8DD17174D06C1.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 5:06:25 PM)

9/11/44

Battle of Takao, Formosa: Will open tomorrow, with two of the four Allied divisions shock attacking.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/B4622C20A67F4DEDB2920507899AF797.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 5:08:59 PM)

As I suspected he would....he just can't not be killing something at all times.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 5:41:57 PM)

Bad luck for the Japanese X2

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 5:49:10 PM)

9/11/44

Air Losses: These Tabby losses probably came over Formosa, but I don't know if they're inbound with supply or outbound with unit cadres.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/45D6FB304AA9422D83730653D6AE0CF8.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 6:23:46 PM)

Knowing John, it's probably a little of both.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 6:24:59 PM)

9/11/44

Peep Show II & SEAC: Tomorrow, with battles known and perhaps unknown (to me) will be an important day.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/4F5780109A3243A789D2FE9D83BCD35E.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 6:34:36 PM)

John had enough Intel from the prior battles on Formosa to know that a fairly quick outcome was assured. He took a shot at crushing an armored unit knowing he was only trading away a short amount of time holding that base. A decent gamble that lost little when it didn't pay off.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 7:12:05 PM)

If John's out of supply (or very low) so that he has no hope of holding Taihoku, then the attack was a gamble worth taking. If he has supply, and if he has some forts, then he might hold against two divisions for awhile; in that case, the attack wasn't a gamble worth taking. Since I don't have that information, I don't know the answer and can't judge the providence of the attack.

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 7:43:24 PM)

Regarding China and the Japanese units approaching your bases, in open terrain, you mentioned a while back that you agreed to a house rule of no 4EB ground attacks at non-base hexes. What was the rationale for that restriction -- if there was one?

ny59giants -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 7:50:26 PM)

Strategic Bombers - Maybe there was a good Rita Haywood movie on last night! [:D]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/5/2017 8:14:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If John's out of supply (or very low) so that he has no hope of holding Taihoku, then the attack was a gamble worth taking. If he has supply, and if he has some forts, then he might hold against two divisions for awhile; in that case, the attack wasn't a gamble worth taking. Since I don't have that information, I don't know the answer and can't judge the providence of the attack.

I see your calculus but how long could they have held even with some supply? Taihoku is on the coast and the terrain otherwise favors the attackers too. Most of the Allied forces from the rest of Formosa will be available sooner than previously expected because of the forward movement to Kagi, which left Takao severely weakened.

Page: <<   < prev  372 373 [374] 375 376   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI