RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 7:48:25 PM)

quote:

I suspect John doesn't realize how much the game pretty much ends once the Allies get in Bomber range of the Home Islands.

Indeed....or at least it does until the next mod......War in the Pacific....The Night Fighter edition. All kidding aside the Philippines and Formosa were sold much too cheaply by the empire. Some bad die rolls in Formosa for sure, and Dan had a great plan....but the IJN did little to delay the bold interior moves

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 8:22:20 PM)

10/23/44

The stars had aligned this morning: important turn, arrived at the right moment from John, family all away all day, and I just took my time with it. Much fun.

Fancy Pants: Perhaps the last post for this busy day.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/720AAAAA89E6488B934DCD413FD40B60.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 9:05:07 PM)

Again, John is in serious trouble & he doesn't even seem to realize it. I believe you've lulled him into a false sense of security - since your Strategic Bombing efforts have merely been pin-****s thus far.

Not realizing that you are focusing on developing Size 8 & 9 airfields, in an interlocking matrix, all in range of most of his industry - as soon as you as ready, there will be hundreds of bombers per night turning his cities to ash.

He's entirely focused on trying to come to grips with your ground forces, which, at this point in the war, are almost irrelevant to the end-game (focused on strategic bombing).

Once you're ready, leaping at his remaining carriers will be merely a sideshow to what is about to occur.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 9:16:59 PM)

I think the next model of the B-29's are rolling out now. Takes quite a while to move them over but the groups are bigger and there are lots of groups. add the B-24's and the allies are about to bring the pain big time. The Allies can just rack up points now so the games is winding down. Maybe go to Korea if bored

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 9:39:10 PM)

Actually, how easy is it going to be to shut down the supply spigot to the Japanese forces in China?

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/5/2017 10:42:49 PM)

quote:

Actually, how easy is it going to be to shut down the supply spigot to the Japanese forces in China?
Does China generate and supply for Japan or does it all come form the Home Islands? Got tho think Shanghai is about to be closed. If John has supply issue the fact that the Chinese units are filling out is going to be double trouble.
BTW, how many B-24's do you have and how are the pools looking?

Jellicoe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 9:23:53 AM)

Given Mr. C's key bases, which would be the quickest way to get those groups to the front? I believe they all appear on the East Coast of the US. Ship to Aden and thence AK to India or rail to San Francisco and boat to Aus or fly from San Fransisco to Pearl and thence Marshalls and Aus?

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 9:44:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Given Mr. C's key bases, which would be the quickest way to get those groups to the front? I believe they all appear on the East Coast of the US. Ship to Aden and thence AK to India or rail to San Francisco and boat to Aus or fly from San Fransisco to Pearl and thence Marshalls and Aus?

I went West Coast to Pearl to one of the island bases to Australia to final base. The bigger the base (with support) the faster they will move. I don't wait for the whole group to repair. Just keep moving them and let the stragglers catch up. It's an annoying and time consuming click fest

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 11:39:06 AM)

For the B-29s, I usually send them: San Fran: Midway: Manila.

John used to frequently send emails that he would send another turn on a particular day "without issue." Without fail, the turn wouldn't come that day. That got to be such a sure thing that I mentioned it here. A little mouse (I think I know who) must've whispered this to John, because he then abandoned that word after using it regularly for ten years.

Yesterday at lunchtime, John asked me to send a turn during the day. He said he planned to run a turn sometime during the day. The next I heard from him was in the early evening hours, when he wrote this: "Will tackle this turn before bed.  PROMISE!"

No turn.

ny59giants -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 1:30:35 PM)

You should go back to playing the AI after this game to avoid being disappointed Dan. As a parent you should be more understanding and less critical. Add in John's role at two Subway stores. I get cut off by both frequently.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 1:40:34 PM)

This is not unusual for John in this AAR. Something happens that he was not expecting, he has an "oh s#^t!" revelation,and he takes a few days to figure out where he is at, what to do next and get his brain back in the game. Been a rough few days in rough week in a rough month in a rough year game wise and maybe personally. He always comes back, but it might be a few days here.
Lots of corrections for spelling because I am not smart enough to post with an iPhone

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 1:42:37 PM)

Every game has surges and eddies; every player habits and peculiarities. In noting that I didn't mean to come across as critical of John. It's just part of the ebb and flow of my games with him. Always has been. Like "Banzai!" and "Fur Ball!" I've come to know his language and his body language.

Lovejoy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 1:56:52 PM)

I'm sorry if you have addressed this already, but do you intend to try and invade the Japanese Mainland at some point?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 3:05:35 PM)

I won't invade Honshu. There's a small chance of a limited invasion of Kyushu or Shokaku. There is a decent chance of a limited invasion of Hokkaido if the game goes long enough - to take an airfield or two that can handle John's northernmost airfields, ports, and industry. Troops have long since 100% prepped for the latter, but I don't see that happening until probably late winter or spring '45.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 3:29:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Does China generate and supply for Japan or does it all come form the Home Islands? Got tho think Shanghai is about to be closed. If John has supply issue the fact that the Chinese units are filling out is going to be double trouble.
BTW, how many B-24's do you have and how are the pools looking?

There is some supply generation in China and Manchukuo but nowhere near enough to sustain Japanese forces in garrison/building ops, let alone combat ops. Shipping supply to Fusan or Shanghai would be the normal flow.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 3:31:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

This is not unusual for John in this AAR. Something happens that he was not expecting, he has an "oh s#^t!" revelation,and he takes a few days to figure out where his is, what to do next and get his brain back in the game. Been a touch few days in rough week in a rough month in a rough yeast game wise and maybe personally. He always comes back, but it might be a few days here

Yeast game? Is that how Subway views it's bun making?[:)]

Lovejoy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 4:10:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I won't invade Honshu. There's a small chance of a limited invasion of Kyushu or Shokaku. There is a decent chance of a limited invasion of Hokkaido if the game goes long enough - to take an airfield or two that can handle John's northernmost airfields, ports, and industry. Troops have long since 100% prepped for the latter, but I don't see that happening until probably late winter or spring '45.

Thanks for the Reply!

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 4:23:04 PM)

quote:

My guess long ago was that you would go for Hokkaido/Shikuka to put him in a vice. I was wrong as usual :]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 7:10:12 PM)

That would've been a viable strategy. My concern was that I'd have to detach Death Star for quite some time - probably at least a month - leaving Formosa and Coastal China rather vulnerable. But there will come a day that those positions are self-sustaining.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 7:18:18 PM)

10/24/44

Peep Show: Enemy opposition collapses at Hengchun, Formosa. Peep Show is over.

Fancy Pants: The Japanese army is on the move, responding to the new crisis at Ningpo. But a deliberate attack by three IJA divisions near Amoy is disastrous. A lot going on.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/08BD8A854F644F19A99B7EB32D1DBD94.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/6/2017 7:43:46 PM)

10/24/44

Long Term Thinking: If I had to wager, I'd guess that the game will end before the conditions would be right to invade Hokkaido. But units have been prepping towards that end, and preliminary planning has been underway, a long time.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/8D907FD9D6BC41CBA498BF2E1E827694.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 1:08:36 AM)

Those PTs heading for Nanking won't make it - their fuel range is 12 hexes and the zig-zag on the river makes it seven hexes from Ningpo.
If you have a ship that can refuel them in the hex NE of Shanghai they can make Nanking.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 1:10:06 AM)

Taking some bases on Hokkaido also reduces the sea room for John to hide the IJN remnants. Hope you can mount the op.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 2:21:17 AM)

quote:

As a parent you should be more understanding and less critical. Add in John's role at two Subway stores. I get cut off by both frequently.

The point is not whether there are good excuses. The point is that, if you know you may be prevented from keeping a promise, you shouldn't make that promise.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 2:49:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

As a parent you should be more understanding and less critical. Add in John's role at two Subway stores. I get cut off by both frequently.

The point is not whether there are good excuses. The point is that, if you know you may be prevented from keeping a promise, you shouldn't make that promise.

I agree with what you say, but there may be some mitigating circumstances.
I think John is one of those people who is unable to make accurate time estimates for his to-do list. He also seems to be unable to say "No" and takes on too much stuff for the time he reasonably has. IOW, he is probably making sincere promises while forgetting all the stuff he has to do.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 5:12:39 AM)

I'll add just a bit of explanation that may help folks understand why I brought this up.

John is very good about long term communication. If he's going to be away for vacation or something in three weeks, he let's me know. Always.

He's frequently poor at short term communication, in this way: he makes a lot of "promises" that he's going to send another turn on a particular day or afternoon or evening. Things come up and he doesn't keep that promise. That's going to happen (though it does happen a lot, as BBfanboy points out). But what chaps me is that he logs onto the forum three or four times for an hour or two and never sends a quick email to say, "Sorry. I got tied up/my kids wanted to go to a movie/Colorada just exploded. No turn until tomorrow." He'll post eight times in his AAR but leave me hanging for 12 or 24 hours with no explanation.

That happened four consecutive days last week. It happened yesterday. It happens regularly.

That doesn't change the fact that John's done a fine job sticking with the game and indeed is a busy man.

Jellicoe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 11:33:43 AM)

It may well be that John's relative unfamiliarity with this late date in the game for Japan is also slowing him down as he feels his way a bit? It may also explain frequency on the forums as the peanut gallery chip in with all the brilliant advice that abounds in this forum

zuluhour -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 12:42:42 PM)

Dan, John has addressed this in his AAR. While your basic concern is valid, it is a time thing. The replays alone can take some time then add
the plan and execute and you have a three hour block taken. This is tough when you only have 45 minutes. Great read from both sides, look forward to the conclusion. Thank you both for taking this to term.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 6:24:55 PM)

10/25/44

Fancy Pants: It looks like a major battle is developing in coastal China, from Swatow in the south to Ningpo in the north.

....and I'm looking for the right opportunity to use an airborne division freshly landed at Ningpo to unhinge John's defenses entirely.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/CA5C57F95DC1406CA7DD8360257042E1.jpg[/image]

Lecivius -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (8/7/2017 7:30:30 PM)

quote:

....and I'm looking for the right opportunity to use an airborne division freshly landed at Ningpo to unhinge John's defenses entirely.

I see a perfect spot. What extra do you have via ship to support a really audacious plan?

I read both AAR's, so I can't and won't say anything more. But there is a bulls eye on this map depending on what can support an airborne attack.

Page: <<   < prev  388 389 [390] 391 392   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI