RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 4:34:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You're exactly right in so many things, Bullwinkle, right down to my wrists hurting. It's taking me 2 to 5 hours every turn now. And the maps for the AAR take an additional 30 to 45 minutes. But I enjoy it.

And part of the reason for this invasion is because I need to see what kamikazes are capable of doing. I seriously considered aborting to the second target - John has no airfields to speak of up there; but I need to see how maximum power is handled on both ends of the equation.

The one place I'd quibble with you is about the level of complexity needed - or not? - to finish the game. I'm only scoring about 3k to 5k strategic points per month (not "five digits"). At this rate, victory would be five to eight months away. But I think if I work everything hard, victory may be three months away. More problematic is that I may face issues with my bomber pools. I'm counting on Strategic Bombing...but taking precautions in case it proves to be an issue.

In addition to strategic bombing, I'm scoring a lot of points by wiping out enemy units and by taking and building good bases. Those are efficient ways to rack up points.

I think destroying enemy ships is also becoming pretty efficient. I've pulled the right levers a good bit lately, because John has been rather desperate to shove convoys in tight places. That should continue as the Allies consolidate gains.

So, yes, I'm obsessing over the complexity of the game...learning, learning, learning, enjoying, enjoying, enjoying....and cognizant that these points may become vital before it's all said and done.

My bad, as I conflated strat bombing with the land/sea VPs to get to the five figs. I think maybe last month was 9500 or so, from memory?

Once you get Korea the eastern HI opens up--Tokyo, Yoka, the huge aircraft cities--and your non-B-29 4Es really come into play. Strat VPs in my experience skyrocket then. When I last did it against the AI I was operating from Hokkaido, so the sequence was reversed from yours. But you can get some huge raids going on that density. If you're still playing after VE Day and get the ETO B-17s, it's riches like you can't believe.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:46:49 AM)

2/3/45

Informacion de Vomitos: "This should prove interesting.  I was thinking you’d land on the China side or deep into the Yellow Sea.  OK.  For years, 8,831 AV have sat idle.  Orders go out…"

modrow -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:51:52 AM)

quote:

2/3/45

Informacion de Vomitos: "This should prove interesting.  I was thinking you’d land on the China side or deep into the Yellow Sea.  OK.  For years, 8,831 AV have sat idle.  Orders go out…"

Maybe you will get the Soviet activation before this war is over after all.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:58:54 AM)

2/2/45

Funnel Cakes: D-Day goes just as expected. There was minimal opposition (a few strike aircraft), the landings come ashore in great shape (Amphib HQ + 100% prep for 5th Div. means no disablements, etc.). Pre-invasion bombarding by the small gunships [LCI(G)] etc do their job. Heavy bombing by Liberators during the day disables perhaps 30-45 squads. Near the end of the day, the three paratroop units land...two evaporating and one taking an inland base.

The Japanese auto-counterattack does a fair bit of damage to the Japanese (see image). And the combat movie shows the enemy garrison weakens considerably - the mixed brigade at 96 AV and the tank regiment at 25.

Tomorrow will probably be messier, but I think John was caught so flat-footed that he's having to scramble to put things together. I do think he'll come eventually. He'll bring everything he has within range. By air this might only take a day or three. By sea, he has carriers in the Carolines that he might recall.

I suspect, but I'm not sure, that he has no troops prepared to rail in tomorrow. If that's true, Gunzan will fall. If that happens, nothing he tries to do will undo the Allies having an airfield on Japan's doorstep.

All that puffing from John yesterday?

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6409864B46D643BF8F073168E471897A.jpg[/image]

traskott -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:59:51 AM)

Vomitos: puke.....(Spanish). Reading this AAR is now somethng.... interesting[sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

[:-]

[:'(]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:22:35 AM)

2/2/45

Fancy Pants: The key bases of Hong Kong (south) and Suchow (northern coastal plain) should fall within the next few days. The former brings victory points and frees up and army to go elsewhere. The latter gives me a forward airfield form which operations deep into northern China can be covered.

One of the weirder aspects of the late game is that I've had committed in China two American divisions still equipped with 1941 squads. This is partly due to ignorance - at the time these two divisions left Pearl Harbor long ago, I wasn't aware enough of things to check stuff like that. (It's one of the critical details that was missing from my game.) By the time the units reached China, there wasn't a good base, supply, or time to upgrade. I mostly devoted these two divisions to mop-up or garrison duty. But 98th Div. helped with the final stages at Kukong. Today it upgraded to 1944 squads.

The other division is still fighting with 1941 squads. I won't tell you where it is until it upgrades...which I hope will be in just two or three days.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/9D3E8EE7CC3D4E3CAABBB359A12CACE6.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:30:43 AM)

2/2/45

KB East: Deep inside SoPac.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/4CE0F4515F954F68A7FDA634DF2F67BE.jpg[/image]

Zecke -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:34:09 AM)

quote:

2/2/45

KB East: Deep inside SoPac.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/1AC33AD356314A04A40B3AD759591A63.jpg[/image]

Wach out¡ movin the KB; sometimes are deep water; so; yes; the map has different speeds.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 12:13:40 PM)

quote:

All that puffing from John yesterday?

You're doomed! John has you right where he wants you.

[:'(]

Flicker -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 12:28:39 PM)

Great use of paratroopers in Korea. L'audace!

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 12:57:48 PM)

Rod Serling, 11th Airborne Division

[image]local://upfiles/55056/0C9B14D3F44A49128F2DA9A4DE842DC4.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 1:47:20 PM)

The turn just went back to John with this message: "....and take six days to reach the Imperial Navy."

quote:

2/3/45

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 2:52:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Rod Serling, 11th Airborne Division

[image]local://upfiles/55056/0C9B14D3F44A49128F2DA9A4DE842DC4.jpg[/image]

Way out of uniform.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 3:01:25 PM)

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call Way out of uniform.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 3:44:18 PM)

2/2/45

Assault Troop Transports Lost in the War: This is the sum total of high-value assault troop transports lost in the war. Early in the war, I sailed around and lost ships in just about every way imaginable, partly due to sheer ignorance (the same way I didn't know about fighter pools or to upgrade infantry divisions from '41 squads). But there were some things I knew not to do: lose carriers and lose assault ships.

The low casualty total is surprising since assault ships have been heavily engaged deep in enemy territory: Aleutians, Marshalls, DEI, Luzon, Formosa, China, Korea. Yet only four APA sunk, to date. I probably won't need assault ships again in the game, but I'm still working to shepherd them as carefully as possible. For John is aroused and most likely will strike as hard as he can soon.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F2741EB66BE540548F004AA4B0787584.jpg[/image]

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:09:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hartwig.modrow

quote:

2/3/45

Maybe you will get the Soviet activation before this war is over after all.

Considering that your landing force put 2034 AV ashore in 1 day, hopefully all with the latest squads and therefore massive firepower, I wouldn't be too worried about the Kwantung Army.
Plus you have a fantastic chance to hit them while detraining.

I think KB is headed to a secret japanese base on the Antartic continent.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 7:26:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I think KB is headed to a secret japanese base on the Antartic continent.

The Fortress of Sakitude.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:38:40 PM)

Today I walked the same trail I walked two weeks ago. The Pinhoti - three miles to the top of Horn Mountain and then back down to Pocket Road. Two weeks ago it was damp, gray and cold. Today the sun shone brilliantly and it was cool.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/A2310DF60C31479A8CC21585AC530ED5.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:39:44 PM)

A white oak tree, partially in honor of Makee Learn. (Makee, I stopped again at the little southern red oak sprout and confirmed that's what it is.)

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6F282D312E63458BBDEB875022F85087.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:40:39 PM)

Here I'm on the west flank of Horn Mountain, which is actually a long, narrow ridge, nearing the crest.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/D5CD66AD187B4FCE9BE9FA00AD6ECF02.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/11/2017 8:43:17 PM)

Looking west, downslope and across Furnace Valley to Johns Mountain. Ironically, there were more leaves on the trees high up than down low. This happens sometimes, I think due to cold air settling low. We had our first freeze about 12 days ago, and there's a good chance it was colder down low than up on this ridge.

The coldest temperature ever recorded in Georgia was in this valley: Minus 17 degrees, January 1940 (around the 20th, I think).

[image]local://upfiles/8143/303C9399BAB84B9C9783EDEC57163670.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 1:09:13 AM)

Part of a message from John: "You’ve fully activated the Manchurian/Korean troops.  Never thought in a million years they would actually get a chance to fight.  This WILL be fun to watch....I hoped for this so the Mainland could continue to develop new ‘toys’ and rebuild destroyed units....it should be interesting to see just how much TIME and Casualties this decision costs.  You get AFs right next to the Homeland but the troops will be occupied for quite a while. Should be fun to see how it plays out…"

What's this about "activation"? It's almost like he thinks his troops are now free to leave Manchuria (which they've always been able to do) without jeopardizing Russian Activation, which isn't the case. If he sends his Manchurian units to Korea to fight it won't be an issue for him. But if he sends them down into China...yikes for him and Russian activation.

He went on to talk about getting lots of new toys in late summer, etc. I don't think he's aware that they game has been on a steady march to auto-victory since last August or September.

As for his army moving into Korea to take care of things, it reminds me of his thoughts when the Allies invaded Foochow, Amoy and Swatow. He brought up an army, moved them into the open, and paid dearly.

Gunzan is open terrain. I don't have to move any deeper, though I am going to take a look at Keijo. It's worth some points and I have lots more units fully prepped, aboard ship and just offshore in Strat mode, waiting to land.

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine John thinking he has a chance of counterattacking in Korea successfully....or of the game lasting into summer.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 1:48:08 AM)

This could get interesting...

[image]local://upfiles/14248/EAB3ED53C4B3466586302F71F12D52E8.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 10:02:11 AM)

quote:

only four APA sunk, to date

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F2741EB66BE540548F004AA4B0787584.jpg[/image]

[X(]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:22:30 PM)

"There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw"

Does one size fit all..

The same movement of air that cools a tree on a slope in the summer will keep the frost from hurting a tree in the winter.
As with persimmons and taste change from temp Ive got evidence that covers a spectrum.

On bottom land with hills all around, the Chestnut in the middle back still has a lot of green leaves where as the all others are all brown. They like to hold on to their leave as long as possible.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/0D1023072CCB4A55A08E75BE4F27366F.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:25:37 PM)

A Sweetgum on the left and a Dawn Redwood on the right. Of all the Sweetgums around here this one is still the greenest(still some green on it) and it's the lowest. Most all the others have no leaves.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/075048A86095408CBA670BAD0227D7A8.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:34:06 PM)

The empty tree in the middle is a tree I call the "First and the Last". It's the first to lose it's leaves in the fall and it's the last to grow them back in the spring. All trees of this species do this whether low or high, Ive noticed or amount of sun/shade.

Looking at trees in the winter I see capillaries in the sky.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/E00DA325C21A45418C591677A4B45024.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:38:16 PM)

quote:

What's this about "activation"? It's almost like he thinks his troops are now free to leave Manchuria (which they've always been able to do) without jeopardizing Russian Activation, which isn't the case. If he sends his Manchurian units to Korea to fight it won't be an issue for him. But if he sends them down into China...yikes for him and Russian activation.

BTW, I assume John merely meant that you have put Allied troops where the Japan troops in the area can engage them. Frame that into fun PBM trash-talking. I doubt he plans to allow the garrison requirement to lapse.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:38:24 PM)

A disease I'am seeing on some trees.. Venisonia rubitus maybe?

[image]local://upfiles/55056/FEFCBA6B29C94803919746305CC0F89F.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/12/2017 2:44:16 PM)

Continuing with the hiking tour. Here is a patch of Oregano. It makes it through the the winter and still is usable.

Itsa' very nice'a!

[image]local://upfiles/55056/9A802530351E4D5198D0F9635F9FBCBA.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  430 431 [432] 433 434   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI