RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 8:55:37 AM)

Well it's nearly 5 a.m. and I'm still sitting here. I have 1,100 words down on "paper." In the grogginess of the long night, I'm not sure if they're good or awful. There's probably some of both. Hopefully it's good enough that some robust editing will allow it to see the light of day. My stories usually go through at least 50 edits that may take weeks or months. And they need it. And ever since Lokasenna got involved in my AAR, I've had this dreadful apprehension of Purple Prose.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 10:17:22 AM)

It's after 6 a.m. What a long, weird night. I made it through and got some words down on paper.

I pledged to post it, warts and all, so here it is.

If it's awful, don't fear that I've done something that can't be fixed or undone. It will be months before this is published. In the meantime, it'll go through about 30 drafts. My wife will proofread it. Others will proof it. So unless we're all asleep at the wheel, there will be rigorous quality-control check.

But I should know in about three hours if it has any potential whatsoever. I'm going to present it to my class at the local college. That's where the walks took place that led to this story. The students will have a particular interest for that reason, but they'll also let me know whether I'm on the right track or not.

P.S. I'm posting this via Paint. I think it'll work, but it may be overly small or large.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/258DD9B0AB79477F8FCBF3E51E7A60AF.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 12:14:45 PM)

Good Morning Little Miss Sunshine

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 12:58:45 PM)

[:'(]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 1:30:41 PM)

Two thoughts:

- the only thing I would have included in the impressions of the autumn leaves is the smell. Here where there are many Green Poplar trees (AKA Aspen) the fallen leaves yield a subtle odor reminiscent of the bark of the tree when cut. On those Indian Summer days of late October when the sky is clear of all cloud and the leafless trees allow the sun to shed some warmth on the path, it is the smell of autumn, or summer's work done and rest to prepare for spring.

- although we contemplate the end of our days and things undone, we can take satisfaction of sorts in having contributed our work, thought and (for most) offspring to the fabric of human history. As the fallen leaves and old trees fertilize the fresh growth of the forest, our departure makes space for new life but leaves the best part of us to help it flourish.

I like the way you link the threads of what you are experiencing and thinking with poets past. It reminds us that the cycle of life continues regardless of our daily concerns and much remains the same as it ever was. The poem you wrote reminded me when, as a Scout Leader, a forester was teaching us about the plants of the forest floor. Until I broke a sassafras stem and smelled the aroma, I never knew that the drink "sassafras" (referred to in old westerns) was "root beer"! Cheeers! [sm=00000436.gif]

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 1:35:03 PM)

You disenfranchised me in the first paragraph when you assumed this only happens for poets.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 1:42:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

You disenfranchised me in the first paragraph when you assumed this only happens for poets.

Don't all of us have some poet in our soul - the ability to observe our surroundings and think simple but profound thoughts about them?

dave sindel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 3:28:16 PM)

When I log onto the WITPAE forum, the first thing I look for are any new posts in this AAR. I thoroughly enjoy the discussions of the game itself, but it is also quite a treat to see what other topics are being discussed as well. Botany, fishing, poetry in just the last couple of days.

Kitakami -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 3:49:00 PM)

I wish my sleepless nights were as productive as yours... at the very least in the soul-searching. The Sassafras or anything like it would be the icing on the cake!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 3:54:41 PM)

Yeah, when I refer to "poets," I mean all of us - collectively. Like BBfanboy says, there's a bit of poet in every one of us.

I'm not much of a poet. Really, I'm not one at all. I've written about eight poems that I'm not ashamed of. I've written a bunch that I am ashamed of. Some of the words that ended up "on paper" were incredibly bad.

But avid readers and avid writers often have a love affair with words. Some writers can make words sing. Some make them squeak in protest.

Searching for just the right word is fun. When you find it, the satisfaction is amazing. As Mark Twain said, the difference between a good word and the perfect words is as the difference between the lightning bug and lightning.

I read the story to my class today. Their reaction was what I had hoped for. But they are prejudiced - I knew they would appreciate the topic, and they know and tolerate my writing and speaking. Still, they make a good sounding board. For now, I'll put it aside for a few days, then re-read it with a fresh eye.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:03:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami
I wish my sleepless nights were as productive as yours... at the very least in the soul-searching. The Sassafras or anything like it would be the icing on the cake!

Well, most of mine aren't productive. Too many of them are spent obsessing over this game.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:34:09 PM)

2/5/45

Strategic Map: Paint isn't crisp, but the red dot that represents KB East stands out sharply inside the white circle.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/DACF8B77FC1B4241B6522B10E6512525.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:36:16 PM)

You know, even Jeb Stuart only rode around the Union Army twice.....

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:40:16 PM)

2/5/45

KB East: [sm=innocent0009.gif]

[image]local://upfiles/8143/AAE469AA327A4C379B1DD40568F2D17B.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:41:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

[sm=innocent0009.gif]

General Lee to General Stuart in Gettysburg: "Could it be that you were mistaken about my orders?"

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 4:56:14 PM)

2/5/45

Fancy Pants: John lost a lot of units today: 65ht Div. near Chuhsien, the Gunzan garrison near Keijo, and a sizeable part of the Suchow defenders. Hong Kong held against a 2:1, but forts dropped to 1.

Funnel Cakes: Ikoma and Chikuma escaped further damage; the Allies eliminated the Gunzan stack; Allied units are advancing in good order to Keijo and the base east of Gunzan; and supply and reinforcements to commence landing tomorrow.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/8E74418F6FD242679F38E3319DCC2495.jpg[/image]

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 7:28:17 PM)

IMVHO

I think the para starting, "Georgia's mountain poet" is one too many paras quoting someone.

The others have enough "fill" around them, this seems to be 1 too many.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 8:21:20 PM)

"Garrison" VP losses are minor, but there are supply flow effects too, as well as potential destruction of base infrastructure. Randomized, and maybe also a functi0on of base size. I think there was a pretty significant change to the garrison penalty rules in a very early patch, but I don't recall the details.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 8:46:12 PM)

Ouch - that raid has got to hurt & I bet he lost a bunch of pilots too.....though, it seems like it was light on bombers.

He may be configured with more fighters than normal in the hopes that you'll try to attack his carriers with your own.....

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 11:29:29 PM)

Gaius Marius was a great Roman General who would only fight on his own terms and at a place of his choosing. Initially, his Legions thought him a poor general at best and more likely a coward. His opponents would taunt him and try to get him to attack saying, "if you are such a great general why not come here and fight us" to which he would respond "surely if you were a great opponent you could make me do such a thing". Gaius Marius stuck to his guns and eventually his opponents attached him at the place of his choosing. With the sun at his back (by design) Gaius Marius annihilated a larger force at the Battle of Vercellae, saving Rome from a barbarian invasion. He was celebrated as the third founder of Rome. I say all of this because it frustrates some of the peanut gallery (myself included) that you let ships escape without air attack and allow divisions to sail to battle unopposed. I also say this because I thought a Roman analogy would be a nice change from yet another Civil War analogy :-) Your a good General Dan. Stick to your guns

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 11:30:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

IMVHO

I think the para starting, "Georgia's mountain poet" is one too many paras quoting someone.

Thanks, JeffK, for that thought. I'm going to lay the story aside for a few days or weeks. Then I'll come back to it with a fresher perspective. When I do, I'll give particular attention to the Byron Reece paragraph.

P.S. I've never done something like that before - working all night, beginning a story and seeing it through to the end (subject to lots of future editing). It was pretty fun. The hours flew by.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 11:32:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Gaius Marius was a great Roman General who would only fight on his own terms and at a place of his choosing. Initially, his Legions thought him a poor general at best and more likely a coward. His opponents would taunt him and try to get him to attack saying, "if you are such a great general why not come here and fight us" to which he would respond "surely if you were a great opponent you could make me do such a thing". Gaius Marius stuck to his guns and eventually his opponents attached him at the place of his choosing. With the sun at his back (by design) Gaius Marius annihilated a larger force at the Battle of Vercellae, saving Rome from a barbarian invasion. He was celebrated as the third founder of Rome. I say all of this because it frustrates some of the peanut gallery (myself included) that you let ships escape without air attack and allow divisions to sail to battle unopposed. I also say this because I thought a Roman analogy would be a nice change from yet another Civil War analogy :-) Your a good General Dan. Stick to your guns

Hey, John, those are good words. Thanks.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/14/2017 11:37:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

"Garrison" VP losses are minor, but there are supply flow effects too, as well as potential destruction of base infrastructure. Randomized, and maybe also a functi0on of base size. I think there was a pretty significant change to the garrison penalty rules in a very early patch, but I don't recall the details.

I foresaw the garrison issues coming, to an extent. I tried to take steps to meet the need, to an extent. But the Allied advance outstripped my ability to get units as far forward as needed. And then the opportunity to move on Gunzan fast outweighed the need to keep units at Shanghai.

In John's email to me several days back, he made the stellar observation that I should have waited two more weeks to invade Korea. He simply has no clue about the various needs and opportunities guiding my hand. The weakness of Gunzan's garrison, the availability of the supply in an amount needed, the current fuel state of the Allied fleet; and the increasing pressure to detach DS to return to the DEI for more supply. I have to keep DS on station until Gunzan is self-sufficient: level 7 or 8 airfield with 500 fighters and many combat TFs. But I should have waited two weeks so that I could take better advantage of his troop deployment in China. "They're arrogant folks, you know?" (Gettysburg character speaking of the Rebels forming up and attacking again.)

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 12:11:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

IMVHO

Thanks, JeffK, for that thought. I'm going to lay the story aside for a few days or weeks. Then I'll come back to it with a fresher perspective. When I do, I'll give particular attention to the Byron Reece paragraph.

P.S. I've never done something like that before - working all night, beginning a story and seeing it through to the end (subject to lots of future editing). It was pretty fun. The hours flew by.

I suppose, if you take it out and you loose nothing from the piece then it shouldnt be there. If it leaves a gaping hole, put it back.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 12:21:55 AM)

John's going to spend the next few days with his mother; then we'll both be around Saturday to game; then I'm going to spend two days with my mom. All this developed very suddenly. So we'll mostly stand down for the next six days.

T Rav -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 1:03:26 AM)

Communication is very difficult. Had you not posted the previous email regarding your short-term turn expectations, we all would've been wondering what happened...

Sounds trivial, but most of us are lurkers, eagerly awaiting the next update. Thanks to you and JIII for a great game to see play out.

T Rav

DW -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 9:29:04 AM)

quote:

John's going to spend the next few days with his mother; then we'll both be around Saturday to game; then I'm going to spend two days with my mom. All this developed very suddenly. So we'll mostly stand down for the next six days.

Why do I feel like... "We now have but one choice. We must face the long dark of Moria ..."

Encircled -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 11:14:56 AM)

quote:

And never via California

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 1:18:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I foresaw the garrison issues coming, to an extent. I tried to take steps to meet the need, to an extent. But the Allied advance outstripped my ability to get units as far forward as needed. And then the opportunity to move on Gunzan fast outweighed the need to keep units at Shanghai.

I only posted my comment to remind that there is more effect from a lacking garrison than the tiny VP penalty. At this point and with the map you have I doubt there is any hex that traces only one supply path through a base in turmoil, or that you care much if an AF takes 20% riot damage. When I have time I should look for the patch notes that described the change. My best recollection was the penalty was made worse from the as-shipped penalty when missing the garrison floor.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (11/15/2017 2:35:21 PM)

Yeah, I knew what you meant.

It's just another fascinating aspect of the game. With regard to Shanghai, for instance, that important base has a 720 garrison requirement. I had that covered but stripped nearly every unit away to invade Gunzan. I did so mostly knowingly, calculating that the benefits far outweighed the costs. I think that's definitely the case now that I'm a week into it, but Shanghai airfield is a shambles. That's a bit of a concern because I have some combat ships repairing at the big shipyard there. I'll feel a lot better when the new garrison troops arrive, particularly a 600 AV Chinese unit inbound from Changsha.

Anticipating and managing garrison requirements in a rapidly moving and enormous front is just one small aspect of this incredibly intricate, challenging, exciting and fulfilling game. What more is there to ask for from a game?

Page: <<   < prev  433 434 [435] 436 437   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI