RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 1:57:34 PM)

Well, the Allies got some good advice I guess and changed their tactics. Heavy sweeps and bombings not at Magwe but Mandalay where my fighter concentration is less. He gets the dive and shoots down 5 Oscars for no loss and then his bombers come in. Burma had been quiet, but I bet that changes which is really bad. I am going to have concentrate all fighters in the area at Magwe and hope raw numbers can protect the oil.

So, once again, a heavy plane loss day for the Empire. I have really pulled my fighters back trying only to fly where I absolutely have to until I can get some more pilots trained up. Frustrating to be so far behind the pilot training curve.... the most frustrating thing I have had to deal with so far.

I have spent a fair number of political points on installing good training leaders and working mainly on either boosting the defense or experience.

I have really shut down a lot of fighter production. Why make them? My pilots aren't up to snuff and Tojo comes online in 10 days. I inherited a size 130 factory for Tojo (80 are repaired) and built an additional 5 size 30 R&D factories which will produce for a couple of days before switching to the next model. I want to get one squadron up and running quickly.

I plan on handpicking every Tojo pilot and I am already basing some fighter units for fast upgrades and getting the pilots into their groups so I can get Tojo defending the oil.

Java

Night bombings continue at Kali, and one group of Zeroes contest the air space and disrupt the attacks. I actually like this as my pilots can gain experience without really loosing a lot of frames or pilots. However, now I have to dedicate night fighters at the oil bases and that overall weakens their daytime CAP. My night time raid on Soerabaja didn't fly.

Sank a crippled destroyer in the area, and will soon be launching an invasion of Ambon and attacking Bandoeng -- I hope the forts there aren't ridiculous. I have 1200 AV with art and eng versus his 200 however, my preparation is low. Be nice to deny another air base and keep moving south.

PITransports arrive to take away the two infantry divisions there. I believe they will go to Malang with the goal of cutting of Soerabaja. A garrison unit is enroute to pacify Manila.

My raids didn't go off, and he spotted 2 destroyers near Perth. I think I will probably retreat at Perth...not 100% sure yet.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/50FD90E79A894E34B1B2AFCCE949E12D.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 2:31:01 PM)

quote:

I have really shut down a lot of fighter production. Why make them? My pilots aren't up to snuff and Tojo comes online in 10 days. I inherited a size 130 factory for Tojo (80 are repaired) and built an additional 5 size 30 R&D factories which will produce for a couple of days before switching to the next model. I want to get one squadron up and running quickly.

Are you guys playing realistic R n D off? Wow, I just checked. You are!!

You can go nuts with R n D. I wouldn't worry about pilots at all if you are going to get late war planes 1-2 years early. Forget Rn D on the Tojo. Change those factories to Frank, Sam and Ki-83!

Spidery -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 2:52:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Are you guys playing realistic R n D off? Wow, I just checked. You are!!

You can go nuts with R n D. I wouldn't worry about pilots at all if you are going to get late war planes 1-2 years early. Forget Rn D on the Tojo. Change those factories to Frank, Sam and Ki-83!

Puzzled, why does realistic R&D off make much difference to getting the Frank, Sam or Ki-83? You still need to repair the R&D factories at the normal, slow, rate. The only benefit for these is that it may make it easier to get the engine bonus for some of these models. For the A6M8 or the D5Y1 it is a different story.

Your plan to get the Tojo IIa out early and then work on the IIc seems an excellent idea for using the benefit of realistic R&D off, and you need all the benefits you can get to recover from the situation you have inherited.

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 4:16:17 PM)

Yeah, I am confused too. The first model in the line if it needs to be researched is at the slow, slow rate.

However, I can freely move down the model line with no damage. For example I am researching the A6M5C with fully repaired factories now. I can advance down the line with no damage, but I can't go back to a previous model.

In fact, I was curious if I should go to the A6M8 -- it has faster speed, but less guns, less range, and less altitude.

I have a 150 or so Franks, but they repair at the slow rate.

Lokasenna -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 5:00:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Yeah, I am confused too. The first model in the line if it needs to be researched is at the slow, slow rate.

However, I can freely move down the model line with no damage. For example I am researching the A6M5C with fully repaired factories now. I can advance down the line with no damage, but I can't go back to a previous model.

In fact, I was curious if I should go to the A6M8 -- it has faster speed, but less guns, less range, and less altitude.

I have a 150 or so Franks, but they repair at the slow rate.

I haven't been able to do that. Maybe I just haven't tried?

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/13/2014 8:44:43 PM)

[/quote]

[/quote]

You need to be careful and only jump 1 generation at a time. But you can do it all in one day. Boom, several clicks and you are R&D with fully repaired factories the Oscar IV. It is insane...but, I need it since I am not playing the altitude game and have already lost 9 months of r&d.

Mostly, I am waiting for my factories of currently available models to get fully repaired to 30 and then I will switch them down the line. All researching the end of the line, or near end of the line generation planes all fully repaired: Oscar IV, A6M5c, Betty, Judy, Myojo, etc.

Heck, I have 160 fully repaired factories in R&D for the Oscar IV right now and 240 in the A6M5c -- however they are rather large factories and hence not optimal. But they are not wasting resources on the Oscar IC or the A6M2 or the Rufe or the A6M3 as they were when I took over.

The Tojo is going to be my stop gap fighter, mainly because is available now and better than anything else now and is also generational and I inherited a large factory of them -- but all those factories will jump down the line to research the IIC once I have a squadron or two up and running. I am hoping their presence, combined with handpicked pilots, will slow the tempo of the Allied air effort down.

One problem, and I have to live with it, is my engine pools are exceptionally low. However, If I can tone down the air war, and live with what I have now, I can have over 500 HA-35s in the pool in less than one month -- my production is over 650.[X(] I inherited that too.

I am trying to make the best of a horrible position and make a game that is fun to play. That is my goal. I am not a huge fan of PDU on, and definitely no fan of Realistic R&D off, nor advanced weather. But, I do get to start in Aug 42, with a lot of drudgery behind me. And my opponent is good. So overall it is a win.

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 11:51:58 AM)

China: It has taken a little while, but offensive actions are starting up again designed at eliminating the Changsha industrial production.

The Flying Tigers are still around, and jumped some Idas' that were experience farming and got a little more than they bargained for.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/22F8DC3B61AC407C8BBBF71524D1FBF8.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 12:01:47 PM)

Level 4 forts at Bandoeng.

The Allies are bombarding out of Batavia...I wonder why? It eats up his supply, and causes no real destruction.

The Allies are back to day time bombing and I lost 22 planes to his 6 but damaged a fair number of his 4Es.

By the way, this battle marks the return to combat of the 4th Infantry Division which was so savagely beaten and almost destroyed on my very first turn.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/416A599B04E946D8B40B099BBA7D0951.jpg[/image]

JocMeister -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 12:11:46 PM)

Looks like China is about to come tumbling down over his head! Once supply dries up its pretty much game over there.

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 12:40:14 PM)

A little r&d. That is the dive bomber Lilly...I thought she might go nice with advanced fighters and cause a fair amount of grief to the Allies. Not really sure however. Be interesting to find out.

You can see the Oscar 4 research along with the Tojo. Those size 30 Tojo factories will go to IIC and combined with hopefully 500 engines in the pool should accelerate the IIC quite nicely...IIC has armor. [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/44178/180754A7DF104118BA879B970B86577E.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 1:12:53 PM)

One thing to think about is that the Lily arrives on 1/43 anyway. You will not move it forward more than a month or so starting R n D factories now. Why not just research something later or nothing at all to conserve a bit? Or maybe you're adding these because you don't Lilys in production?

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 2:37:16 PM)

No Lilly in current production.

It was easier to change some worthless r&d facility to them than mess with my current production plants. They will repair quickly and be producing on Day 1.

Edit: I should add that there is not much plane production going on now anywhere. Jakes and Nicks and Vals about 1 a day of each -- that is it. And I would like to shut the Vals down.

Lokasenna -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 2:48:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Looks like China is about to come tumbling down over his head! Once supply dries up its pretty much game over there.

What do you mean "once"?

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:21:43 PM)

quote:

No r&d for tony, jack or most others. Sad, because I like the lines on the Tony....

Enjoying this AAR, which I only discovered this morning. Sorry I'm a late arrival. [:)]

The Tony Ki-100 is one of the best fighters in the game. With this, they *finally* got the line right. Getting early research factories running on this airframe is *the* reason for having a Ki-61 research program. The Ki-61a through -c models are unimpressive. The -d model sports quite a wallop. But it all comes together (and is worth producing) the Ki-100.

If you're playing with realistic R&D off, I'd encourage you to fast track Ki-100 production.

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:28:14 PM)

quote:

Nauru. There half a million resources here...maybe I will be able to get them.

It's a pittance compared to what's in Sakhalin, Port Arthur and (hopefully) Korea. While it's probably not a bad idea to get the Nauru resources for any ships returning to Truk from the SoPac, it's not worth the fuel (IMO) to detail resource transport TFs specifically for this purpose.

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:31:30 PM)

quote:

The Boise is last seen broken in half going down...

That's a great way to see the Boise! BANZAI!

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:32:50 PM)

quote:

I must be the only player ever not to have Tojos in August of 42 with Realistic R&D off.[:@]

Indeed! The mind boggles! [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:34:40 PM)

quote:

The Yamato is kind of fun!

[image]local://upfiles/44178/4913E5A984BE4709A1A132DE6837FB65.jpg[/image]

Nice bombardment! [X(]

JocMeister -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:35:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

What do you mean "once"?

Is that not the correct term?

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:39:43 PM)

quote:

But then, one missed click and you end up with this kind of mismatch to teach you humility.

Ouch! [:-]

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:48:59 PM)

quote:

You should be able to. PM me if you're interested in help?

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 3:52:49 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you mean "once"?

Is that not the correct term?

I think he's suggesting that supply is dried up in China from the get go. "Once" suggests a future timeline for the drying up of supply in China. A play on words.

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 4:49:57 PM)

quote:

Chickenboy
If you're playing with realistic R&D off, I'd encourage you to fast track Ki-100 production.

Welcome aboard!

I have taken Obvert's advice from his AAR and have 5 size 30 factories churning away on Tony, one of which I inherited. Two engines, what a pain.

Nauru resources. Yes, you are correct in that it is not worth the fuel. In looking at Obvert's ending resources there is no reason to worry about it.

JocMeister -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 5:11:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
I think he's suggesting that supply is dried up in China from the get go. "Once" suggests a future timeline for the drying up of supply in China. A play on words.

Ah, I see. [:)]

obvert -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 5:33:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

It's a pittance compared to what's in Sakhalin, Port Arthur and (hopefully) Korea. While it's probably not a bad idea to get the Nauru resources for any ships returning to Truk from the SoPac, it's not worth the fuel (IMO) to detail resource transport TFs specifically for this purpose.

+1

I wasted a lot of fuel there. No reason if not 'passing by' already. Also, just send empties from the DEI home full of resources.

Lokasenna -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 7:56:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

+1

I wasted a lot of fuel there. No reason if not 'passing by' already. Also, just send empties from the DEI home full of resources.

The problem with this "passing by" philosophy on Nauru is that it has a small port. I don't find that I have returning TFs from that area small enough to dock at the port...

So, for a while, I will run CS convoys from Truk to Nauru with the little xAKs and xAKLs, until I've built up a hefty 6-figures' worth of Resources at Truk (doesn't take all that long as Nauru produces them quite quickly - almost 200K Resources in the first 6 months of the war). Then I'll stop them and returning Supply convoys from Truk will grab the Resources to take back to the HI.

Lokasenna -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 7:56:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

Ah, I see. [:)]

Exactly what I meant [:D]. China is a big IJA playground from Day 1.

Lokasenna -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 7:57:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

You should be able to. PM me if you're interested in help?

I will check in a carefully saved game at next opportunity (I have a tendency to make a save file, switch to another window while it's saving, and forget what I was about to immediately try in the Industry screen...and then tinker with something else, requiring yet another save). Sunday, if I can remember.

Chickenboy -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/14/2014 8:15:59 PM)

quote:

The problem with this "passing by" philosophy on Nauru is that it has a small port. I don't find that I have returning TFs from that area small enough to dock at the port...

So, for a while, I will run CS convoys from Truk to Nauru with the little xAKs and xAKLs, until I've built up a hefty 6-figures' worth of Resources at Truk (doesn't take all that long as Nauru produces them quite quickly - almost 200K Resources in the first 6 months of the war). Then I'll stop them and returning Supply convoys from Truk will grab the Resources to take back to the HI.

Why doncha just make 'em an amphibious TF to load resources? Sure, it's inefficient and takes a while, but at least they can do it. It may take a week, but what else are they gonna do in the SoPac? Think of it as mandated R&R whilest their holds get filled by bird guano resources. [:D]

Lowpe -> RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock (3/15/2014 2:58:20 PM)

Only a few plane losses today as most weren't challenged. He is bombing at random in Burma, scouting the defenses and he has run a motorized unit down the road almost to Ramree.

A small carrier raid below...I have forces west and east. Will bombard the airbase and seek to finish them off this next day.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/AEF6D16ADC7445AC98F8DFF1494E3CA9.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI