RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:21:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Do you realize how many billions of dollars in damage they caused to industries dependant on the Gulf of Mexico? People's lives have been ruined here and they treat it like it's a great big joke.
warspite1

Who thinks its a joke? NO ONE is laughing over here.

You apparently are unfamiliar with boards of directors of major corporations.
warspite1

Never mind

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:23:44 AM)

Furthermore, though by saying "I knew what the company used to be called" (that's not an actual quote) while defending them "NO ONE is laughing over here" sounds like you have "patriotic" investments in this argument, while I demonstrated I do not by citing GE. Large corporations are not people, they are not citizens and they are not patriots. They are self-interested machines that will take advantage of any situation presented to them.

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:27:27 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you realize how many billions of dollars in damage they caused to industries dependant on the Gulf of Mexico? People's lives have been ruined here and they treat it like it's a great big joke.
warspite1

Who thinks its a joke? NO ONE is laughing over here.

You apparently are unfamiliar with boards of directors of major corporations.
warspite1

Never mind

Though that sounds like I won, I don't believe I did, it's far too complicated. This cannot be solved by one argument or by one point of view. It remains before us.

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:27:49 AM)

quote:

Furthermore, though by saying "I knew what the company used to be called" (that's not an actual quote) while defending them "NO ONE is laughing over here" sounds like you have "patriotic" investments in this argument, while I demonstrated I do not by citing GE. Large corporations are not people, they are not citizens and they are not patriots. They are self-interested machines that will take advantage of any situation presented to them.
warspite1

For crying out loud!!!!!!

NO this is not some patriotic, them vs us situation.

YOU started down that route with your "BP screwing America" and "BP get back to screwing Ireland" nonsense.

Listen its real simple - if a corporation £$%^ up and people suffer then they should be made to pay. Whoever they are, whatever their nationality. That's real simple.

BP (either alone or with others) £$%^^ up big time. For that they are paying billions.

I don't see anyone laughing.

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:33:17 AM)

Your arguments are as sound as mine, at least, we can cease and desist. You can take credit for the solution.

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:40:25 AM)

quote:

Your arguments are as sound as mine, at least, we can cease and desist. You can take credit for the solution.
warspite1

In which case I trust that you can use this exchange as an example of how we on earth can conduct negotiations for the good of all, to bring peace, understanding and resolution of arguments to peoples of differing persuasions. Now heed this example, take it back to the people of Gorn, and I am sure, in time, the peoples of your planet will be free to live a life of harmony and religious fulfilment. Just like we all do on earth [:D]

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:46:47 AM)

I am deeply offended by your suggestion that gorns are people. Apologize before I feed your entrails to Antares!

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:48:44 AM)

quote:

I am deeply offended by your suggestion that gorns are people. Apologize before I feed your entrails to Antares!
warspite1

Soz.... to the er... Gornians? of Gorn... is that any better?

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 5:50:01 AM)

I suppose that will have to do.

witpqs -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:00:17 AM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

In which case I trust that you can use this exchange as an example of how we on earth can conduct negotiations for the good of all, to bring peace, understanding and resolution of arguments to peoples of differing persuasions. Now heed this example, take it back to the people of Gorn, and I am sure, in time, the peoples of your planet will be free to live a life of harmony and religious fulfilment. Just like we all do on earth [:D]

A friend of mine, who is otherwise a very smart individual, has mentioned about how corporations decide who is elected for the last few decades. Recently he mentioned how the US government seeds the upper atmosphere with chemicals to prevent observation of very high flying aircraft.

I think we can conclude that some of those craft are Gorn, and those chemicals which hide the Gorn from our view are also hiding our true nature from their observation! [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:06:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

warspite1

A friend of mine, who is otherwise a very smart individual, has mentioned about how corporations decide who is elected for the last few decades. Recently he mentioned how the US government seeds the upper atmosphere with chemicals to prevent observation of very high flying aircraft.

I think we can conclude that some of those craft are Gorn, and those chemicals which hide the Gorn from our view are also hiding our true nature from their observation! [:D]
warspite1

Not so. I have it on extremely good authority from an impeccable source* that this is the work of the Illuminati.

*Well, when I say extremely good authority from an impeccable source, I mean kind of suspect authority from someone in the know....well, when I say suspect authority from someone in the know, I actually mean no authority whatsoever, from a total fruitcake [:)]

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:07:34 AM)

I can confirm that everything you posted is true. I am however disturbed by any suggestion that I or my kind might be "otherwise very smart". That is a libel and a slander, sir.

wdolson -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:07:59 AM)

I think this is getting a bit too political. Maybe it's time to back off on this particular turn in the conversation.

Bill

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:17:41 AM)

It's not "some of those craft", it's "all of them". And we see your "true natures" and are unimpressed. I am also very suspicious of your claim that you have any friends. I once had a snail who was my friend, but when I tried to feed him Hostess Twinkies, he turned up his antennae at them and just shriveled up into a stain on my carpet. I tried to enroll him in a twelve-step program, but he demurred. Cest le escargot.

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:19:05 AM)

Bill, I think we're past that and into some really stupid stuff now.

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:19:46 AM)

Okay - so to get back on track...

For people of a certain age, how many of these do you remember? Hell, how many did you make?

I must admit, seeing this brought a genuine tear to the eye. Such memories.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGr-mfkNcYM

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:27:28 AM)

Uh warspite, You're in a different time zone, but it's way way past my bedtime and you bring up this? My teddy bear is really pissed off. What do you suggest I tell him? He won't understand your post at all.

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:30:14 AM)

quote:

Uh warspite, You're in a different time zone, but it's way way past my bedtime and you bring up this? My teddy bear is really pissed off. What do you suggest I tell him? He won't understand your post at all.
warspite1

Do what I do then. Tell teddy that as a special treat* he can come and sit up with you in the man/Gorn cave and watch the pictures together.

*assuming he's been a good teddy of course.

wdolson -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:34:11 AM)

In the US Airfix was not that common until the 1980s when General Mills cereals bought them.

The two biggest brands here were Revell and Monogram which merged into one company in 1984. There were a number of other American brands too, most of those are now sold under Round2.

I'm on a forum for older modelers, the Brits talk about Airfix and Frog and the American pine for the various American brands of the 50s and 60s.

Bill

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:39:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

In the US Airfix was not that common until the 1980s when General Mills cereals bought them.

The two biggest brands here were Revell and Monogram which merged into one company in 1984. There were a number of other American brands too, most of those are now sold under Round2.

I'm on a forum for older modelers, the Brits talk about Airfix and Frog and the American pine for the various American brands of the 50s and 60s.

Bill
warspite1

That's a shame - I guess it won't mean much from a nostalgia point of you to the non-British (Europeans maybe?).

Incredible looking at that set of pictures though - there was probably one that I didn't recall. The airfix catalogue coming out was a big event for me and my brother. We couldn't afford many kits a year so looking and wishing was the next best thing!

Sadly for me, he was the one with the real modelling talent... but I sort of did my...ahem... best [:D]

wdolson -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 7:38:40 AM)

I was aware of Airfix before the 1980s. Well stocked model shops would carry a few of their kits, but being imports, the US made kits of the same subjects were usually cheaper.

I think it was 1978 or 1979 that General Mills bought Airfix and created the MPC brand which were Airfix kits molded and re-released here. The markings of the American editions usually only had decals for one version rather than the wider range usually provided in the Airfix versions.

I always liked larger scale kits and got most of the Airfix 1/24 scale aircraft reboxed as MPC. They had these points you could collect from the side of the box and get free kits from the points (you did have to pay postage). I managed to cobble together enough points for one 1/24 scale smaller plane like the Spitfire and one 1/24 scale Harrier or Stuka. I sent in my points and they must have screwed up somewhere. They sent me three Harriers and three Spitfires. I was in hog heaven. I later sold a couple of them unbuilt on Ebay, but I still have a complete set of the Airfix 1/24 scale aircraft and a few duplicates.

My now ex brother-in-law gave me a few more 1/24 scale kits when he divorced my sister and sort of walked away from everything. He was prone to dramatic gestures like that. At that point she was just sort of "whatever".

I never built much 1/72 scale and that was Airfix's primary aircraft scale. Some of those early Airfix kits really went overboard on the rivet detail. You could file your nails with the rivet detail on some of them. I was more into Monogram which had a wide range of 1/48 scale kits. I lusted after my father's 1/32 scale Hasegawa kits, but those were really expensive. I'd get some Revell 1/32 scale kits from time to time.

In ship kits the Europeans standardized before the US did. A lot of the American made ship kits out there are still old "box scale" kits originally released in the 1950s. You see Revell-Monogram kits with listed scales like 1/437 scale. That's because the kit was scaled to fit into a standard box size instead of to a standard scale.

A lot of the European ship kits are 1/400 scale, but the Japanese and Chinese have kind of established the two major ship scales at 1/700 and 1/350 which makes the European scale a bit of an odd duck these days. I did get an Airfix Ark Royal in 1/400 scale. She was probably one of the nicest looking pre-war carriers.

And then Tamiya set the scale standard for armor at 1/35 scale. Many others followed their lead. Before that Airfix and Monogram released a few armor models in 1/32 scale which is close, but I think Tamiya eclipsed them. In the US we had Aurora with 1/48 scale armor and some companies did 1/72 or 1/76 scale armor (Airfix, ESCI, and Fujimi primarily), but 1/72 scale armor today is a sort of also ran scale.

I started building models at three and I went through a lot of them. Thinking back I don't know what my parents were thinking letting a three year old use liquid glue for styrene. I never spilled it, but I did flick it into my eyes a few times. I learned very early how to wash out my eyes. After the first couple of times I also learned not to say anything about it. My mother was a worry wart.

Most of my early modeling was aircraft. They have always been my favorite and it was my father's interest too. Though I did branch out into armor and ships. I remember obsessively building a 1/48 scale Churchill from Aurora in my room pretty late at night. I may have snuck out of bed. All those small wheels were doing my head in.

Bill

Kull -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 6:46:10 PM)

Since we're traveling in the way-back machine and the topic has morphed rather dramatically away from TV shows, here's another tangent. How many of you guys collected "War Picture Library" comics? It was a British publication so no idea if there was any penetration of the US market, but I just loved these things growing up as a kid overseas. Still have 15 of them in varying states of disrepair. Here's the cover of one I'm actually holding right now:

[image]local://upfiles/25668/EED3289823E042D5829A886BD0C746B5.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:03:01 PM)

Required reading to take on holiday to Devon as a kid [:)]

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:06:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

Boy I remember all these shows with fondness. I also remember playing with the G.I. Joe dolls errr I mean action figures with the kid across the street. His parents had set him up a sand box just for playing with the figures.

Yep, I had one of these babies.....

[image]local://upfiles/21458/740370D557AD4A1FAFE46B402D3348A8.jpg[/image]

Yeah, I had one too. I eventually detached the cannon and made my own projectiles. They were matchsticks with sewing needles sticking out of them. Pretty good velocity and they stuck in just about anything. [X(]

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:11:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Favorite character-without a doubt: Ziegfried. Schmart!!! [:D] Gets me every time.

Favorite character who, as a pre-teen that I was, evoked certain "stirrings": Barbara Feldman as Agent 99. Wow! [X(]

Ok...so some of the attire was ridiculous, but she was a sultry bombshell...

[image]local://upfiles/6968/78D2A2BE8D28440580F058E11F748ADA.jpg[/image]

quote:

http://io9.com/5310191/the-bizarre-history-of-the-1960s-scifi-puppet-series-too-twisted-for-tv

Yep, I definitely watched that show because of her. [X(]

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:16:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I know that I am taking this to a whole other level, but what the heck? I still get a little warm when I see an old photo of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman. I preferred to watch this show alone, without my pants around...

I fixed that for you, crsutton. [:D]

[:D]

witpqs -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:20:21 PM)

Even more OT. Not about growing up, maybe about not growing up. [:D]

I saw a pair of shorts at a store, on sale for like 75% off. They were way too large, but a glimpse made me take a closer look at the pattern:

[image]local://upfiles/14248/382E860BCA3E427E8C21664EB2BAEF76.jpg[/image]

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:20:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

Boy I remember all these shows with fondness. I also remember playing with the G.I. Joe dolls errr I mean action figures with the kid across the street. His parents had set him up a sand box just for playing with the figures.

I was never into GI Joe much, but my brother and I each used to get one of these sets every Christmas. Man we had some epic struggles in the back yard with our little green army men armies lol.

Jim

[image]local://upfiles/5815/559D44734F6244AC9FBFCC63D179FA14.jpg[/image]

I had about a company of these little Japanese WWII soldiers in various poses. I took one end of a tin pencil lead holder (looked like a Contac capsule but larger) and made a stand to hold it out of a paper clip. I made a number of these assemblies. Then I loaded them with match heads and wadded up some aluminum foil to make the projectiles. Sometime I used a big one or other times a number of smaller ones like cannister. I lined up the Japanese troops like they were assaulting and set up my battery facing them. All I had to do was hold a lit match under my tin cannons and they would fire. The soldiers would melt and the aluminum balls would melt into them. Maybe I would've made a good General LeMay.

Genius! [:D]

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 8:25:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

I built the motorized Hood, lindberg model, pushed it out into the lake and realized I didn't do a good job on the shaft seals .....

I built the very same model! The main turrets would rotate and the guns elevated. Sadly, she never made it past the bathtub. She was destined to sit on the windowsill for all eternity. For all I know, she's still sitting there.

Mike Solli -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (9/6/2014 9:04:23 PM)

Anyone remember this? I wasted a significant portion of my childhood on this until my sister bought me Panzer Blitz one Christmas. [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/1598/4B17EDA275684AD5B205928EC7C95D45.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI