Ulithi (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Capt Cliff -> Ulithi (8/8/2014 2:08:41 PM)

Too bad ...

Schanilec -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 3:19:50 PM)

Cool. Thanks

tocaff -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 3:25:11 PM)

Very nice, thanks.

Trugrit -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 3:41:56 PM)

Thanks,

Great pics.

Chickenboy -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 4:25:24 PM)

Very nice pictures! Thank you for sharing...[8D]

LoBaron -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 5:29:51 PM)

Awesome pics!

Anybody can explain the origins of the term 'Murderer's row' for the CVs Wasp, Yorktown, Hornet, and Hancock? It does ring a bell, but I cannot link it to a specific event.

crsutton -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 6:26:56 PM)

You have to be a baseball fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderers'_Row

tocaff -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 8:16:02 PM)

The 1927 New York Yankees lineup was referred to as Murders Row as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazzeri and company were an awesome offensive team.

JeffroK -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 10:22:34 PM)

Great pics.

Someone on the forum mentioned that this is the proof of Yamamoto's statement about "Waking the sleeping giant!"

wdolson -> RE: Ulithi (8/8/2014 10:44:20 PM)

I read a story about a sailor who got liberty at Ulithi. He said there were facilities for the officers, but the enlisted men were all crowded into a muddy area with no facilities and given a bottle of beer. They were not allowed to leave until their liberty was up. Many turned down liberty at Ulithi after that.

Bill

LoBaron -> RE: Ulithi (8/9/2014 7:28:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You have to be a baseball fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderers'_Row

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

The 1927 New York Yankees lineup was referred to as Murders Row as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazzeri and company were an awesome offensive team.

Thanks guys!

Was there some specific known situation where the term was from then on used for a row of US CVs, or is it just an obvious use of the term and noone knows who first linked it to the CVs?

Rising-Sun -> RE: Ulithi (8/9/2014 12:54:46 PM)

cool thx for the infos :)

Gaspote -> RE: Ulithi (8/9/2014 4:05:40 PM)

The unknow holiday camp [:D]

SuluSea -> RE: Ulithi (8/9/2014 6:29:05 PM)

Great site, thanks for sharing!

Herrbear -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 4:44:08 PM)

Thank you for sharing.

Capt Cliff -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 5:56:42 PM)

If you look at the anchorage layout drawing one might think that the games port size for Ulithi of 3 is off a bit. Majuro as well since it was converted into an advance base like Ulithi. Ulithi is size 3, should be 5 or 6 and Majuro is size 1 again it should be 5 or 6 ... minimum 4. IMHO.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 6:04:28 PM)

Port size in the game drives unload speeds and repair capability. While Ulithi was a vast, relatively safe anchorage, how much shore infrastructure was ever built? If you make it a 6 you're making it roughly a Brisbane, and that's nuts.

msieving1 -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 7:45:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Port size in the game drives unload speeds and repair capability. While Ulithi was a vast, relatively safe anchorage, how much shore infrastructure was ever built? If you make it a 6 you're making it roughly a Brisbane, and that's nuts.

I've always wished that the game had two port size ratings: one for anchorage size and another for facilities. As it is, there's really nothing to distinguish between someplace like Eniwetok, which had a large enough anchorage to hold all the navies of the world, and Wake Island, which could barely manage one or two ships.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 8:48:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

quote:

I've always wished that the game had two port size ratings: one for anchorage size and another for facilities. As it is, there's really nothing to distinguish between someplace like Eniwetok, which had a large enough anchorage to hold all the navies of the world, and Wake Island, which could barely manage one or two ships.

True, but if we were going to change one thing with bases I would vote for being able to direct engineers to fix a specific kind of damage before they worked on AF/port automatically. With liberal use of tenders and ARDs plus naval support you can make a small port into a "big" one to an extent now.

mikkey -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 9:01:02 PM)

Great pics, thank you for sharing.

wdolson -> RE: Ulithi (8/10/2014 11:34:59 PM)

The port size in game is the max size and complexity of the facilities. The game engine pretty much allows all anchorages, even at level 1 bases, to be infinite. There was some attempt in the AE effort to tie the size and number of ships anchored in a base to the base size, but it was taken out. I don't remember why exactly, but I believe it interfered with something else and there wasn't the time to fix it.

I agree the anchorage size and port size should be two different things. In the real world, if there is enough land around an anchorage, it can usually be built up to level 9. But atolls are a different matter. Places like Ulithi have a massive lagoon which is ideal for anchoring ships, but it has so little land, being able to build a size 6 port there is very generous. In the real war the port probably mazed out around level 2 or 3.

Bill

Capt Cliff -> RE: Ulithi (8/11/2014 1:10:26 AM)

quote:

I disagree. To have that many ship in a "lagoon harbor" and being able to refuel, resupply and rearm them does give you the same capacity of a size 6 port. It is stupid to think you would just harbor ships there without having the ability to resupply them. Actually it is laughable.

PaxMondo -> RE: Ulithi (8/11/2014 1:22:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The port size in game is the max size and complexity of the facilities. The game engine pretty much allows all anchorages, even at level 1 bases, to be infinite. There was some attempt in the AE effort to tie the size and number of ships anchored in a base to the base size, but it was taken out. I don't remember why exactly, but I believe it interfered with something else and there wasn't the time to fix it.

I agree the anchorage size and port size should be two different things. In the real world, if there is enough land around an anchorage, it can usually be built up to level 9. But atolls are a different matter. Places like Ulithi have a massive lagoon which is ideal for anchoring ships, but it has so little land, being able to build a size 6 port there is very generous. In the real war the port probably mazed out around level 2 or 3.

Bill

Bill,

I agree with you 100%.

Accounting for tides ... level 2 would be generous ... there isn't all that much land above the high tide mark. Now factor in the Typhoon surge mark and it gets really small. Most of the islands that were built up were volcanic which gave them more high water land ... but of course building on a volcano has its own risks ... [;)]

Lagoons are nice for anchorages, but not that nice for docks. The slope to the land is too gradual in most cases, and so requires a lot of dredging which in this case is cutting into the coral undermining your island. So, the infrastructure that we associate with high level ports is going to be tough to build, and historically it was never built for these reasons.

You devs got it right ....

wdolson -> RE: Ulithi (8/11/2014 4:14:05 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff
I disagree. To have that many ship in a "lagoon harbor" and being able to refuel, resupply and rearm them does give you the same capacity of a size 6 port. It is stupid to think you would just harbor ships there without having the ability to resupply them. Actually it is laughable.

The US had most of the harbor facilities afloat with a large armada of support ships. Virtually all ship services were provided from these support ships.

Bill

Lee Chard -> RE: Ulithi (8/11/2014 12:23:56 PM)

Excellent!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Ulithi (8/11/2014 3:14:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

In your haste to post a snarky response you have once again failed to grasp the points in question. So, one more time:

1. Port size in the game drives cargo load/unload rates. Supplies and fuel for storage at ashore facilities such as tank farms and warehouse complexes. Speed is a function of pier services and civilian longshoreman assets. Hence, Brisbane= fast, and a Port Level 0 atoll=slow. If you make the atoll the same level as Brisbane it becomes Brisbane on this measure. But it has no real estate to build those facilities.

2. Ship repair, which you ignore in the reply above, is also a function of port size, the other sources of repair points (naval, support, own-ship, tenders, yards) being equal. Port-based repair point generation is an abstraction of, again, ashore brick & mortar shops combined with a skilled civilian workforce. Brisbane has them, Ulithi does not. Although that guy in the breechclout in the OP's photos could be a skilled pipefitter I suppose. And that other guy in the breechclout might have superior underwater welding skills. Regardless, make Ulithi a Port Level 6, and they'll have to learn.

Barb -> RE: Ulithi (8/12/2014 7:49:54 AM)

Actually one can disband his complete USN even into size 0 port.Add lots of AE, AKE, AR, ARD, AG, AD, AGP, AO and whatever else you can think of... And you can rearm, refuel and repair with effect comparable to real-life Ulithi/Kwajalein/Majuro/Manus/Leyte/Kerama Retto advance base.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Ulithi (8/12/2014 12:36:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Actually one can disband his complete USN even into size 0 port.Add lots of AE, AKE, AR, ARD, AG, AD, AGP, AO and whatever else you can think of... And you can rearm, refuel and repair with effect comparable to real-life Ulithi/Kwajalein/Majuro/Manus/Leyte/Kerama Retto advance base.

Right, and that's the gist of wdolson's post above. I agree. The issue here though is whether atolls ought to have in-game Port ratings to reflect their vast anchorage capacity. And the answer is no. Port size in-game is involved in multiple issues, but not anchorage capacity ironically.

Capt Cliff -> RE: Ulithi (8/12/2014 8:15:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

In your haste to post a snarky response you have once again failed to grasp the points in question. So, one more time:

1. Port size in the game drives cargo load/unload rates. Supplies and fuel for storage at ashore facilities such as tank farms and warehouse complexes. Speed is a function of pier services and civilian longshoreman assets. Hence, Brisbane= fast, and a Port Level 0 atoll=slow. If you make the atoll the same level as Brisbane it becomes Brisbane on this measure. But it has no real estate to build those facilities.

2. Ship repair, which you ignore in the reply above, is also a function of port size, the other sources of repair points (naval, support, own-ship, tenders, yards) being equal. Port-based repair point generation is an abstraction of, again, ashore brick & mortar shops combined with a skilled civilian workforce. Brisbane has them, Ulithi does not. Although that guy in the breechclout in the OP's photos could be a skilled pipefitter I suppose. And that other guy in the breechclout might have superior underwater welding skills. Regardless, make Ulithi a Port Level 6, and they'll have to learn.

Sophistry! I suppose all the CB's on Ulithi does not equate to your ... "brick & mortar shops combined with a skilled civilian workforce". Ahem (ships were made from brick and motar, I thought they were steel[:'(])... Sir you have no idea what your talking about. The US Navy would not base the 3rd/5th Fleet at Ulithi if it could not maintain and supply them there. They did, so Ulithi and Brisbane must be and are effectively equal. One has docks while the other had 100's of small ships doing a similar task as dock. A means to transfer supplies.

LoBaron -> RE: Ulithi (8/12/2014 10:11:19 PM)

I am in awe about this exemplary demonstration of inability to comprehend written language. Respect. [sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI