RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 4:10:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

I leave an appropriate response to bo's comment (below) to be provided by Cartman. Take it away little dude:

"the Fascist Tide scenario tide is a lot more fun to play than Global War".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpyGyb1J4I

I do not understand your post warspite,[&:] I have always been courteous to you in all your posts and respectful, and if this is dig at me then you can explain yourself to the other posters who yearn for something other than Global war.

Bo
warspite1

bo for goodness sake its a joke!! Please read my post 23!! I am fully up for release of both Fascist Tide and its Pacific brother, totally support their release and hope that Erik sees the value here too.

The fact I used Cartman surely told you my comment was not serious??

YES I personally would never play the single map campaigns - but that is because one of the things that attracted me to WIF was the ability to play the whole war - which I did not get from ETO or that Third Reich game.

However, I certainly see their value to new gamers and/or gamers who have a preference for either land or sea as per post 23.

Okay I apolgize I just came from the doctors with my wife who yesterday could not remember anything around her and scared the hell out of me, it was not a good time for me to answer your post, hate excuses but that is all I can say. I am just hoping Steve will release Fascist Tide, by the way never heard of Cartman.[&:] I am going nuts I just reread your post# 23 and that is why I asked Steve to release Fascist Tide, forgive me not feeling real intelligent right now.

Bo

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 4:17:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I leave an appropriate response to bo's comment (below) to be provided by Cartman. Take it away little dude:

"the Fascist Tide scenario tide is a lot more fun to play than Global War".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpyGyb1J4I

I do not understand your post warspite,[&:] I have always been courteous to you in all your posts and respectful, and if this is dig at me then you can explain yourself to the other posters who yearn for something other than Global war.

Bo
warspite1

bo for goodness sake its a joke!! Please read my post 23!! I am fully up for release of both Fascist Tide and its Pacific brother, totally support their release and hope that Erik sees the value here too.

The fact I used Cartman surely told you my comment was not serious??

YES I personally would never play the single map campaigns - but that is because one of the things that attracted me to WIF was the ability to play the whole war - which I did not get from ETO or that Third Reich game.

However, I certainly see their value to new gamers and/or gamers who have a preference for either land or sea as per post 23.

Okay I apolgize I just came from the doctors with my wife who yesterday could not remember anything around her and scared the hell out of me, it was not a good time for me to answer your post, hate excuses but that is all I can say. I am just hoping Steve will release Fascist Tide, by the way never heard of Cartman.[&:] I am going nuts I just reread your post# 23 and that is why I asked Steve to release Fascist Tide, forgive me not feeling real intelligent right now.

Bo
warspite1

No problemo bo. And I will +1 your request in the Dev forum. You never know.....

Hope Mrs bo is okay?

AlbertN -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 5:09:43 PM)

Meanwhile I would like the fullest set of Optional Rules coded, and mayhaps even some from the Annuals, I am enjoying the game when I can play it (which alas depends on my gaming pal!).

To me it is still a fresh game to explore in its possiblities, and technically the WW2 game type I see (with production, combat, etc) even if I can see already a degree of streamlining on what happens and which you can sensibly do, there is the constant of tension of "Turn is to end" or "Weather can change" and still a wide degree of results for combats that can make your plans go very sour.

To be honest if people are so eager to play WiF they can try out a Vassal module for it, which is there. Just expect a massive extra workload on the player's end.

A gamer who comes from boardgaming appreciates the ability to "save" a game without having to dedicate a table or take hours to note down setup-up at the break time and to spend more hours to place all back down on the map.
The automated (even if sometimes bugged) computing of many things, a system enforcing rules which at times could result in doubts between players, etcetera.

Does MWiF has big drawbacks?
Presently I feel the major drawback when I play is the lack of vision of ensamble.
When I've a map on a table in front of me I've a better perspective of what happens - when restrained on the monitor I tend to forget of secondary (or tertiary) fronts, or of massing up of units just past the border of the screen I looked at.
But that I can live with.

Heck, I've yet to see a large strategy game that is released bug-less and fully functional.
And let me ask, would it make any difference to play vs an AI that a human would anyhow steamroll 99% of the time? The AI is just here to let you learn the game (in other games, I feel so at least).
An AI for Barbarossa or Guadalcanal will be more than enough in my eyes, when there will be. I still had no issues learning the game without an AI at all, and without having touched WiF in real life (I've played though an amount of other wargames since I was 14.)

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 5:26:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Meanwhile I would like the fullest set of Optional Rules coded, and mayhaps even some from the Annuals, I am enjoying the game when I can play it (which alas depends on my gaming pal!).

To me it is still a fresh game to explore in its possiblities, and technically the WW2 game type I see (with production, combat, etc) even if I can see already a degree of streamlining on what happens and which you can sensibly do, there is the constant of tension of "Turn is to end" or "Weather can change" and still a wide degree of results for combats that can make your plans go very sour.

To be honest if people are so eager to play WiF they can try out a Vassal module for it, which is there. Just expect a massive extra workload on the player's end.

A gamer who comes from boardgaming appreciates the ability to "save" a game without having to dedicate a table or take hours to note down setup-up at the break time and to spend more hours to place all back down on the map.
The automated (even if sometimes bugged) computing of many things, a system enforcing rules which at times could result in doubts between players, etcetera.

Does MWiF has big drawbacks?
Presently I feel the major drawback when I play is the lack of vision of ensamble.
When I've a map on a table in front of me I've a better perspective of what happens - when restrained on the monitor I tend to forget of secondary (or tertiary) fronts, or of massing up of units just past the border of the screen I looked at.
But that I can live with.

Heck, I've yet to see a large strategy game that is released bug-less and fully functional.
And let me ask, would it make any difference to play vs an AI that a human would anyhow steamroll 99% of the time? The AI is just here to let you learn the game (in other games, I feel so at least).
An AI for Barbarossa or Guadalcanal will be more than enough in my eyes, when there will be. I still had no issues learning the game without an AI at all, and without having touched WiF in real life (I've played though an amount of other wargames since I was 14.)

Yes an AI is just there in most cases to let you learn the game but I believe that Steve has too much pride in his ability working with an AI that he will create something more than just "learning the game" [;)]

The comment you made about perspective is right on, with the whole map in front of you it is possible to see everything at one glance, the computer does not allow that so I assume you have to be more careful when playing MWIF on a computer as I have never saw the board game. That is one of the reasons why I asked Steve to release Fascist Tide so that just one map, the European map, would seem to me at least, be a lot easier to maneuver around and see all the tacticle spots. But what do I know[:(]

Bo

AxelNL -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 6:02:04 PM)

Sad.....I am sad because of the passing away of Terry Pratchett yesterday,,,,
no more discworld

Centuur -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 6:03:45 PM)

All good and nice, but as long as there are fatal bugs around, getting the half map scenario's will not do any good. There are too many nasty bugs around which you can't work around. As much as I would like to see Netplay operational, or more optional rules coded, or half map scenario's or the AI, I don't think any of those things will make sense if the basic game isn't good enough to expand on...

Sad, very sad. Progress is far too slow and to be honest, I'm frustrated that things aren't moving faster. But there aren't any resources available to hire another programmer for MWIF so that's how it is. We have to wait, and wait, and wait and hope for the best...

I've once said it would take at least two years before the AI would come back into picture. The way I'm seeing things now, I estimate that those two years are far to optimistic. Netplay isn't running and it's almost 1,5 years after release. So given this, I estimate about 5 years before the AI will be build, if it will be build at all. Five years is a long, long time...

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 6:23:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

All good and nice, but as long as there are fatal bugs around, getting the half map scenario's will not do any good. There are too many nasty bugs around which you can't work around. As much as I would like to see Netplay operational, or more optional rules coded, or half map scenario's or the AI, I don't think any of those things will make sense if the basic game isn't good enough to expand on...

Sad, very sad. Progress is far too slow and to be honest, I'm frustrated that things aren't moving faster. But there aren't any resources available to hire another programmer for MWIF so that's how it is. We have to wait, and wait, and wait and hope for the best...

I've once said it would take at least two years before the AI would come back into picture. The way I'm seeing things now, I estimate that those two years are far to optimistic. Netplay isn't running and it's almost 1,5 years after release. So given this, I estimate about 5 years before the AI will be build, if it will be build at all. Five years is a long, long time...

warspite1

Do you mean fatal bugs peculiar to the single map scenarios or the game generally. If its the former then yes, that is a problem, but if its the latter then there is no difference to us playing with the Global map is there?

pzgndr -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:17:12 PM)

quote:

Progress is far too slow and to be honest, I'm frustrated that things aren't moving faster. But there aren't any resources available to hire another programmer for MWIF so that's how it is. We have to wait, and wait, and wait and hope for the best...

It's not just MWiF. It's symptomatic of our niche computer wargame hobby. The boardgames suffered too, which is why we don't have Avalon Hill and SPI any more.

Look how long it took to get to WiFFE, and folks STILL aren't satisfied and pushing for RAW 8.0 and beyond. Hurry up and wait...

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:24:51 PM)

quote:

I admit in testing Fascist I do not go very deep into the scenario, but the last time I worked on it, albeit several months ago it seemed to play very well. centuur could you be more specific about fatal bugs in Fascist tide, thank you. I second warspites post 37 above.

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:26:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Progress is far too slow and to be honest, I'm frustrated that things aren't moving faster. But there aren't any resources available to hire another programmer for MWIF so that's how it is. We have to wait, and wait, and wait and hope for the best...

It's not just MWiF. It's symptomatic of our niche computer wargame hobby. The boardgames suffered too, which is why we don't have Avalon Hill and SPI any more.

Look how long it took to get to WiFFE, and folks STILL aren't satisfied and pushing for RAW 8.0 and beyond. Hurry up and wait...

How true, I miss Avalon Hill. I have looked at all the Matrix WW2 games in their store and I assume that some of them are good for certain players, they like this feature or that feature, but not for my taste that is why I agree with centuur 110% about frustration with MWIF. I am not saying that Grigsby's War in the West is not a good game but it is too impersonal for me.

World in Flames is a great strategic game with personal units in it and a game that requires constant thinking about this decision or that decision then just moving hordes of divisions and corps all over the place. Not saying my opinion is right but it is just the way I feel.

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:43:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

no more discworld

Who is that AxelNL?

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:47:35 PM)

quote:

Sad sad sad, good post, IMO if Steve does not get help and soon you can kiss MWIF goodby. Time for the truth now and end the rosy optimistic daydreaming.

Bo

Orm -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 7:56:38 PM)

I am saddened to hear about Mrs Bo. I hope she is on the way to recovery. You both are in my prayers.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 8:05:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am saddened to hear about Mrs Bo. I hope she is on the way to recovery. You both are in my prayers.

Thanks Orm, she seems alright now sometimes my doctor told me you lose your electrolytes once in awhile, in a few days your back to normal. I lost mine 2 years ago and according to my wife I never got them back, hmmmmm well all the posters here know that[:D]

The reason I even mentioned it was because I was stupid and harsh with warspite and he did not need my comment, it was uncalled for and it was the only lame excuse I could come up with because I was not thinking clearly, hey when your wrong fess up and move on. It only lasted for about 5 hours today, hopefully she will be alright. It could not have been caused by me because you all know how mild, positive, and laid back I am. [:(]

Bo

Orm -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 8:07:44 PM)

quote:

quote:

no more discworld

Who is that AxelNL?

Bo

Sir Terry Pratchett was a English fantasy and comedy author. He was most famous for his comic fantasy book series Discworld. He was also a great man that I had the honour of meeting and he made a lasting impression. I am truly saddened by his passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

----

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 8:11:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

no more discworld

Who is that AxelNL?

Bo

Sir Terry Pratchett was a English fantasy and comedy author. He was most famous for his comic fantasy book series Discworld. He was also a great man that I had the honour of meeting and he made a lasting impression. I am truly saddened by his passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

----

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

Thank you Orm for that entry he seems like a pretty good guy with a marvelous mind.

Bo

Orm -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 8:21:41 PM)

quote:

quote:

Thanks Orm, she seems alright now sometimes my doctor told me you lose your electrolytes once in awhile, in a few days your back to normal. I lost mine 2 years ago and according to my wife I never got them back, hmmmmm well all the posters here know that[:D]

The reason I even mentioned it was because I was stupid and harsh with warspite and he did not need my comment, it was uncalled for and it was the only lame excuse I could come up with because I was not thinking clearly, hey when your wrong fess up and move on. It only lasted for about 5 hours today, hopefully she will be alright. It could not have been caused by me because you all know how mild, positive, and laid back I am. [:(]

Bo

I am glad that Mrs Bo feels better.

Maybe you should travel to a warm place and try to relax and recuperate?

pzgndr -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 9:25:23 PM)

quote:

I was stupid and harsh with warspite and he did not need my comment, it was uncalled for and it was the only lame excuse I could come up with

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Bo! Oh, he is a naughty person, and he must pay the penalty -- and here in Castle Matrix, we have but one punishment for not thinking clearly. You must tie him down on a bed and spank him!

Wik. Sorry. I will go sack myself... [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 9:29:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

I was stupid and harsh with warspite and he did not need my comment, it was uncalled for and it was the only lame excuse I could come up with

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Bo! Oh, he is a naughty person, and he must pay the penalty -- and here in Castle Matrix, we have but one punishment for not thinking clearly. You must tie him down on a bed and spank him!

warspite1

Er.... [sm=scared0018.gif]

quote:

Yes.... I think you probably should [sm=crazy.gif]

[:)]

AxelNL -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 10:32:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

no more discworld

Who is that AxelNL?

Bo

You met him! Please tell more!
I have read over the last 30 years at least 40 of his books. He was great in using satire to describe the real world in Discworld. I really loved his work, and feel sad there will be no more.

JeffroK -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 10:53:57 PM)

I played WIF in its very early board game life. It was always a much better game for having 4-5 players drinking beer and insulting each other over a long weekend. In between turns we would play other boardgames and some of the early computer games.

The grogs then tried to add rule after rule to make it more "realistic" and at some point here it lost the fun and became tedious. We stopped meeting or went fishing on our long weekends.

I was very interested when Matrix took on the project but was concerned when Matrix went for the later, more detailed version rather than the game in its earlier form. IMVHO there was too much interaction within turns to make this work and that any chance of an AI was doomed. Netplay means I can only play in the same timezone

The attempt to get ADG's Empires in Arms going suffered from a similar problem and has struggled.

Matrix, the devs and testers have tried to get this up and running, but the return from investment is getting less & less. The map is superb, the original counters less so. Unless a breakthrough, such as smooth running mini scenario which can get the interest in the game going again this will be another game that sits in the unplayable basket.

PS. I would suggest going back to a more basic game, then build up the add-ons and later rules sets, too late for that.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 10:55:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

Promises promises pzgndr, I might actually like a spanking did you ever think of that when you made this post.[:(]

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 11:01:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I played WIF in its very early board game life. It was always a much better game for having 4-5 players drinking beer and insulting each other over a long weekend. In between turns we would play other boardgames and some of the early computer games.

The grogs then tried to add rule after rule to make it more "realistic" and at some point here it lost the fun and became tedious. We stopped meeting or went fishing on our long weekends.

I was very interested when Matrix took on the project but was concerned when Matrix went for the later, more detailed version rather than the game in its earlier form. IMVHO there was too much interaction within turns to make this work and that any chance of an AI was doomed. Netplay means I can only play in the same timezone

The attempt to get ADG's War and Peace going suffered from a similar problem and has struggled.

Matrix, the devs and testers have tried to get this up and running, but the return from investment is getting less & less. The map is superb, the original counters less so. Unless a breakthrough, such as smooth running mini scenario which can get the interest in the game going again this will be another game that sits in the unplayable basket.

PS. I would suggest going back to a more basic game, then build up the add-ons and later rules sets, too late for that.

Very interesting Jeffk, I actually proposed this several years ago even before the game came out, only because we were having too much trouble with all the bells and whistles, what would you suggest as a more basic game?

The reason I ask that is because I have never seen the board game. I doubt if any changes will be made but I truly would like to hear what could be removed to make it playable.

Too me over the years supply seemed to tie up Steve the most, took a lot of his time, and stopped him from working on other things, and worse still not as it should be.

Bo

JeffroK -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/13/2015 11:05:41 PM)

The devs would surely have copies, from memory, the original rules (and I may not still have a full copy) were about 20pages? (Long time ago)

MatJack -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 12:04:47 AM)

quote:

Boy this place is really dead... how depressing [&:][:(]

A few people doing AAR's aside there is nothing but the odd post about bugs and the odd question or two (unless you count unrelated board game threads).

Last few days here its been almost like it was pre-launch.

What a real shame.

It may be dead if the measure is "only" many/high volume post's (considering you being very active and others like me not being active and post counts to you may mean it's liked)...........but it's not dead to me if you and others keep discussing it and have something informative to say about it and I and others who do not post very much have an opportunity to read what you (and others say).

I like the game and when I try to play it and do something and fail and come in here to see what could be the issue I often find myself reading something you have said..............IMHO thats good for both of us.

Please keep playing and posting, I'm reading what you say and learning a little. I'm sure there's others in the same boat.

AllenK -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 2:04:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

ou
The attempt to get ADG's Empires in Arms going suffered from a similar problem and has struggled.

Ah yes, I remember those gaming weekends well. Sadly not WiF as it was after our time but AH's Flat Top (at some point I must look at WITP:AE) got many a replay, along with Squad Leader and 3rd Reich. The more complex the better. For a good argument over interpretation of rules AD&D was unsurpassed. We would have loved WiF. Then, however, we had bedrooms and spare rooms in our parents' houses we could leave things set up (or simply take over the house if they were away) and play these games.

Now, I don't have the space and the group have gone their separate ways but I still want to play. Perhaps I am in a very small minority but it's the scope and complexity of Global War WiF that attracted me to the game. I don't want simplified rules and introductory or half-map scenarios (but appreciate others do). It's why I found jumping straight in and, after a couple of false and experimental option/set-up starts, playing Global War in solitaire mode to be far more captivating and enjoyable than playing simpler games against an AI. The game played smoothly from S/O 39 to J/A 45 and the only initial problem was air combat forms being hidden behind others. The press F10 solution sorted that out. The game was certainly very playable.

Of course, being a complete WiF newbie, if MWiF is allowing something to happen that shouldn't be happening, or vice versa, I am less likely to pick it up, get upset about it and declare the game unplayable as others seem to do. In this case, ignorance really is bliss. I'm also not particularly bothered that some options haven't yet been coded. What you haven't had you don't miss, and all that. The absence of some particular favourite doesn't make this unplayable for me.

You are right though, wargaming is best enjoyed player vs player(s). That's why you now find me locked in battle with Mayhemizer. Via E-mail and AAR we play at a time and pace that fits our lives, has no ongoing space requirements, beyond the computer and is working well. Warspite1 and Orm take the real credit for showing how the game can be played this way. Others have pioneered using Teamviewer with success.

In its current form, without AI, working Netplay, dedicated PBEM (as oppose to playing via E-mail), and some scenarios and optional rules, it is not to everyone's preference. If, in consequence, they choose not to play, or even purchase the game, that is their choice but it does not make this an unplayable game, merely unplayable for them.

Jagdtiger14 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 4:25:09 AM)

AllenK...seems we have had the same wargaming experiences...brings back memories, but I've been lucky to have a good core group here (currently on sabbatical though). Like you I am also a grognard, and agree with what you wrote.

Cataphract88 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 11:55:01 AM)

This topic makes depressing reading. In solitaire mode, at least, have the bugs been ironed out yet?

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 12:08:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

This topic makes depressing reading. In solitaire mode, at least, have the bugs been ironed out yet?
warspite1

Nope. As you can see from the AAR's the game is playable in solitaire mode, but sometimes you have to ignore some things and just carry on e.g. not being able to send an Italian resource to a factory, some supply issues etc. It comes down to whether your love of the game is sufficient to overcome the issues or not.

Centuur -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/14/2015 1:25:49 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

warspite1

Nope. As you can see from the AAR's the game is playable in solitaire mode, but sometimes you have to ignore some things and just carry on e.g. not being able to send an Italian resource to a factory, some supply issues etc. It comes down to whether your love of the game is sufficient to overcome the issues or not.

As long as there are fatal bugs in the program, I don't consider it to be playable... To much isn't working as it should. Now, perhaps that is too harsh to conclude, but that is how I see things. One can deal with bugs when one can work around them. You could deal with bugs like not enforcing mandatory losses (since a player can take that loss themselves). But if a game freezes on the choice of naval combats, or when you are intercepting a moving stack of naval units, or when you choose a US entry option... Those things should be dealt with first and get rid of. Get solitair working in the basic game first, without any mad excepts or freezes, that should be the first goal, IMHO...

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI