RE: Focus Pacific Beta (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/24/2016 3:37:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I did a no-Sov AI vs AI run and as of mid-43 Singapore is still Allied, most of the DEI is Allied (barring Menado and a few bases in that area; interestingly a few Java bases have the Union Jack symbol, implying a counterattack). IJ has Luzon, but the rest of the PI is Allied. Clearly this scenario isn't meant to be played vs. the AI.

Cheers,
CC

It's not. Japan certainly has the resources to do more (see my AAR vs a human opponent here for proof), but I don't have the AI scripting know-how to make it happen. A skilled human player can use the additional carriers available to them at game start to devastating effect, essentially controlling multiple theaters at once with the massed air power of the KB, KB-2 and "KB Light" - a CVL/CVE group.

Currently in my PBEM game, it's early February and my Japanese opponent has taken Singapore, pushed me back to the Chunking Plains in China, has cut off Vladivostok's rail link to the rest of the Soviet Union, is on the verge of taking Rangoon, has taken all of Northern Australia and Port Morseby, is on the verge of taking New Caledonia and has cut Java in half.

Saros -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/24/2016 12:28:12 PM)

You forgot to mention "and in doing so lost three thousand aircraft in less than two months of war." Admittedly the allies have lost about twice that so I don't feel too bad about it.

HansBolter -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/24/2016 1:08:07 PM)

My game against the Japanese AI is in July '42.

Java and Sumatra never fell and are Allied Bastions.

I never lost Rangoon. The IJA effort in Burma has been stymied.

The Chinese have liberated all but a couple of fortified cities in their homeland.

The Russians have over run Korea with a last hold of of 29 IJ LCUs in Port Arthur.

The Russians have begun strategic bombing Hiroshima from Fusan while the AI stations no fighters there, but has over 600 in Tokyo.

Clearly the scenario is not designed for play against the AI as PB has asserted many times.

I'm playing against the AI to beta test the scenario and provide feedback.

While fun to play, there is no challenge.

This scenario needs to be played against a thinking opponent.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/27/2016 3:23:44 PM)

Para,
Here's a few more;
LCU ID's 7713 and 7714 upgrade from something to just Aviation support.
Air unit ID's 3325, 3326, 3327 and 3328 are heavy bombers and appear at Port Blair. Should be Aden, I think....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/27/2016 5:55:44 PM)

The bombers appearing at Port Blair was intentional, but it's inconsistent with the rest of British forces in the theater, so I"ll change their arrival location to Aden.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/29/2016 3:07:32 AM)

Thank you. Are you getting close to finish[:)]....GP

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (2/29/2016 7:55:00 PM)

Air unit stuff;

ID's 3672 and 3747 have the same FS number. They are in the same FG.
ID 4041 Name changed to 54th FG/ 4erd FS. I think you meant 43rd FS[;)]....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/2/2016 1:36:11 AM)

Hmm, I wonder if Gary would be willing to create some air art for Focus Pacific.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/2/2016 11:56:11 AM)

What air art do you need?....GP

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/3/2016 9:49:23 PM)

Para, After running a new test thru sept 42, I think I need a new build. I have a major victory over japan. Japan, 14+ CV's, over 800 other ships, 4000+ aircraft, All lost to the enemy.[:D] By the way, download RHS. There is a lot of air art that you can use. Sid has no problem with that....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/5/2016 6:20:29 PM)

Quick update for those wondering if progress is still being made - it is! I've been spending hours fixing issues and trying to smooth out the mod.

Some changes to look forward to:

* More optimization of Japanese aircraft tree
* TOE changes to prevent some units from "downgrading"
* Added the Dewoitine D.520, thanks to Gary's fantastic air art. This will replace the P-400 for the French, and some former Morane MS.410 squadrons will start with the D.520 instead.
* Lots of tweaks to Japanese units to ensure that they didn't enter the game understrength.
* Fixed the aircraft art for a few planes, including the Chinese P-40Q.
* Added the missing French Dreadnought-Era battleship Provence, sister ship to the Lorraine.

I'm hoping that Gary can create some more French planes for us. Currently, the Joffre and Painleve use USN aircraft. I'd love to be able to have them field their intended French aircraft instead: The Dewoitine D.720 (a navalized D.520), the Latecoere Late.299 (a Late.298 with landing gear and arrestor hook instead of floats) and the Loire-Nieuport LN.42 dive-bomber. (There might be two additional French flattops to fly these planes from as well...)

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/5/2016 8:37:42 PM)

Good stuff para. Don't forget about the Australian and New Zealand F4F's that have US markings....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/5/2016 9:50:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Good stuff para. Don't forget about the Australian and New Zealand F4F's that have US markings....GP

Thanks for the reminder - switching those squadrons to Martletts.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/5/2016 9:58:27 PM)

That'll work....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/9/2016 4:51:50 PM)

I know I said I was close to release, but in my play testing, I've been dissatisfied with the French air forces. Because I've used so many lend-lease aircraft, besides the maneuverable MS.410 series and the Breguet 697 series heavy fighter, the French don't feel different, but instead like re-skinned Americans or British. There was also a lot of redundancy in the French aircraft tree, resulting in too many aircraft produced for the number of squadrons that the French field.

With the goal of fixing this issue, and making the French more exciting to play for the allies (and play against as the Japanese), I've made some significant changes to the French OOB in the air. Replacement rates for many models have been lowered, and others outright removed, while new French planes have the chance to shine.

Removed:

French Vengeance I
French Vengeance II
French Martlet
French Wildcat
French Dauntless
French Devastator
French Kittyhawk
French P-400

Replaced With:
(Full disclosure -I found most this content on the internet and slapped it into a WitP friendly format. All credit goes to the actual artists.)

[image]http://i.imgur.com/xfl1abF.png[/image]
Dewoitine D.790 (Thanks to Gary Childress) Navalized D.520

[image]http://i.imgur.com/fLrp8Ij.png[/image]
Dewoitine D.530 - An improved D.520 with a more powerful engine and 6 Darne 7.5mm in the wings instead of four.

[image]http://i.imgur.com/Qu0560T.png[/image]
Dewoitine D.551 High performance fighter. Faster but less durable and less heavily armed than the D.520 series.

[image]http://i.imgur.com/TuLdpXq.png[/image]
Latecoere Late.299 Carrier Torpedo Bomber

[image]http://i.imgur.com/0KICojG.png[/image]
LN.42 Carrier Dive bomber

I also have cleaned up a lot of art, ensuring that planes from each country are have paint jobs that reflect their nationality.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/9/2016 5:16:10 PM)

Excellent. So how much is left to do? I'm at the beginning of October and the AI has all but folded....GP

traskott -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/9/2016 5:22:50 PM)

Great job!!! And those new airplanes add lot of flavour.

@About AI: What about making a new scenario to be played against AI? : Turn japanese divisions at corps, make their sentais 144 size... You now, nasty ideas...

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/10/2016 3:30:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Excellent. So how much is left to do? I'm at the beginning of October and the AI has all but folded....GP

Right now, my challenge is figuring out how to make plane tops and transparent tops for the respective files.

If anyone has experience with this that can help me out, that would be great.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/10/2016 4:09:55 AM)

Looks good. Sorry I can't help with the art.

I always liked the D.520. Note that the P-400s were in real life intended to go to the French, so it wouldn't be a stretch to allow them in the Armée de l'air.

Cheers,
CC

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/10/2016 1:45:20 PM)

PM Gary or Sid. Both know how to do that....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/10/2016 4:48:43 PM)

I know how - I just am not an artist, and I can't make them look good.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/12/2016 5:49:35 PM)

Gary has the know how. I'll bet he would help you....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/12/2016 6:23:55 PM)

Once I have all the plane sides in, I'll ask the forum for assistance with the plane tops.

I'm doing a little more tweaking to try and flesh out the French a little more - things like adding transport aircraft and transport squadrons.

I also came across a great resource for planned French ships as of 1942. From that, we'll see an improved Morgador class destroyer, St. Louis class heavy cruisers, De Grasse class light cruisers and Le Fier class torpedo ships.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/12/2016 8:31:38 PM)

Check out the art thread above or below this thread....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/13/2016 9:39:31 PM)

I posted some art requests in the thread, hopefully I get some takers.

Here's a preview of what's to come - some very exciting assets for the French.

SNCASE SE-100. Ugly as hell French twin-engined fighter with a huge gun value.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/nfIaLne.png[/img]

Le Fier Class TB
[img]http://i.imgur.com/9sf0F4O.png[/img]

De Grasse Class Light Cruiser
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Xoa8Esn.png[/img]

St. Louis Class Heavy Cruiser
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ZdxR1lM.png[/img]

Alsace Class Battleship
[img]http://i.imgur.com/eT86yb0.png[/img]

Lyon Class Carrier
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lWIcGru.png[/img]

Revthought -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/15/2016 12:57:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

I did a no-Sov AI vs AI run and as of mid-43 Singapore is still Allied, most of the DEI is Allied (barring Menado and a few bases in that area; interestingly a few Java bases have the Union Jack symbol, implying a counterattack). IJ has Luzon, but the rest of the PI is Allied. Clearly this scenario isn't meant to be played vs. the AI.

Cheers,
CC

It's not. Japan certainly has the resources to do more (see my AAR vs a human opponent here for proof), but I don't have the AI scripting know-how to make it happen. A skilled human player can use the additional carriers available to them at game start to devastating effect, essentially controlling multiple theaters at once with the massed air power of the KB, KB-2 and "KB Light" - a CVL/CVE group.

Currently in my PBEM game, it's early February and my Japanese opponent has taken Singapore, pushed me back to the Chunking Plains in China, has cut off Vladivostok's rail link to the rest of the Soviet Union, is on the verge of taking Rangoon, has taken all of Northern Australia and Port Morseby, is on the verge of taking New Caledonia and has cut Java in half.

I sort of feel that rather than offering variant play, and unique alternative histories, that the trajectory of large mod projects for this game is going to lead to the Ultimate Yamamoto Mod--where the Japanese start with every hex in the game but the East Coast, but by 1945 the Allies will be awesome.

Or, alternatively, Ultimate Yamamoto Grand Campaign 2--designed around the old movie Final Countdown--where every contemporary Super Carrier jumps back through time, but somehow gets confused and decides to fight for Japan--but don't worry, Allied player, there are lots of new toys for you! In 1943 the Armada of Lizard Aliens arrives and shares their tech with you. [sm=00000289.gif]

Edit

So I'm a relatively new player, whose only experienced stock and a couple turns of a Dababes-C PBEM (Always as the Allies), and I see stuff like this, all of the included "toys" seem interesting; however, the way it seems to always work out is to exaggerate historical outcomes... look at the Japanese go wild and occupy everything!

However, to be honest, that doesn't that fun to me. It seems, on it's surface, rather than making for a fight, it just increases the Allied player's inferiority, where many would just want to pull the Sir Robin, but twice as fast, and twice as complete.

I think I'd personally be far more interested in a lot of the mods if I looked at AARs using them, and instead of seeing "Look at ALL of Australia fall, Japan in Canada, Japanese Pearl Harbor, and China completely conquered!" it was more "look at this epic struggle for Australia... who will win, its too close to call!?"

Just me though.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/15/2016 4:44:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CC

I sort of feel that rather than offering variant play, and unique alternative histories, that the trajectory of large mod projects for this game is going to lead to the Ultimate Yamamoto Mod--where the Japanese start with every hex in the game but the East Coast, but by 1945 the Allies will be awesome.

Or, alternatively, Ultimate Yamamoto Grand Campaign 2--designed around the old movie Final Countdown--where every contemporary Super Carrier jumps back through time, but somehow gets confused and decides to fight for Japan--but don't worry, Allied player, there are lots of new toys for you! In 1943 the Armada of Lizard Aliens arrives and shares their tech with you. [sm=00000289.gif]

Edit

So I'm a relatively new player, whose only experienced stock and a couple turns of a Dababes-C PBEM (Always as the Allies), and I see stuff like this, all of the included "toys" seem interesting; however, the way it seems to always work out is to exaggerate historical outcomes... look at the Japanese go wild and occupy everything!

However, to be honest, that doesn't that fun to me. It seems, on it's surface, rather than making for a fight, it just increases the Allied player's inferiority, where many would just want to pull the Sir Robin, but twice as fast, and twice as complete.

I think I'd personally be far more interested in a lot of the mods if I looked at AARs using them, and instead of seeing "Look at ALL of Australia fall, Japan in Canada, Japanese Pearl Harbor, and China completely conquered!" it was more "look at this epic struggle for Australia... who will win, its too close to call!?"

Just me though.

Balance in WitP:AE is a tricky, elusive thing.

I share your concerns over early Japanese blow-outs followed by late-game allied steamrolling, and I hope in Focus Pacific I have provided the tools for both sides to keep the outcome from being forgone conclusion every step of the way.

What I've found in my playtesting is that the most decisive element in Japan's expansion isn't its ground forces, or planes, or even most of their navy, but instead lies in the KB and its roster of incredibly talented pilots.

A Japanese invasion supported by the KB or KB-2 (or even KB-3 in Focus Pacific) is very difficult for the allies to counter in 1941-42. Up until the introduction of the Hellcat in early-mid 43, opportunities for the allied player to gain a favorable result against the KB are few and far between against a Japanese player who concentrates their carrier force and adequately supports it.

I'd love to see same the kind of close, vicious, epic struggles that you do, but in Focus Pacific just like in stock, those struggles come later in the game.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/15/2016 12:26:34 PM)

I think it will also depend on the players and the strategy use. If you play against a weaker Japanese player the allies could hold up the Japanese to a point where fuel becomes a big problem. And of course a weaker allied player will have a longer road ahead of them. That's why I feel you need to find an opponent who is fairly evenly matched to yourself in experience....GP

Revthought -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/15/2016 6:07:16 PM)

quote:

Balance in WitP:AE is a tricky, elusive thing.

I share your concerns over early Japanese blow-outs followed by late-game allied steamrolling, and I hope in Focus Pacific I have provided the tools for both sides to keep the outcome from being forgone conclusion every step of the way.

What I've found in my playtesting is that the most decisive element in Japan's expansion isn't its ground forces, or planes, or even most of their navy, but instead lies in the KB and its roster of incredibly talented pilots.

A Japanese invasion supported by the KB or KB-2 (or even KB-3 in Focus Pacific) is very difficult for the allies to counter in 1941-42. Up until the introduction of the Hellcat in early-mid 43, opportunities for the allied player to gain a favorable result against the KB are few and far between against a Japanese player who concentrates their carrier force and adequately supports it.

I'd love to see same the kind of close, vicious, epic struggles that you do, but in Focus Pacific just like in stock, those struggles come later in the game.

Here is my take, while I will be the very first one to scream up and down about how WITPAE is a game and not a simulation, I think somethings amiss when I see AARs with Japan controlling the whole of Australia, or any of Canada.

There are very, very good reasons the Imperial High Command dismissed the notion of a Japanese invasion of Australia out of hand, and they never even dreamed a moment about steeping on the West Coast of North America. Even if success could be achieved in an invasion, it would have been impossible for the Japanese navy to maintain those lines of supply... Particularly when there was rarely any agreement between the Japanese army and navy.

Speaking of the later, I know how difficult it would be to try to model in the game; however, this was a huge historical constraint on what was even possible for Japan to do.

And you're right, it boils down to balance. How do you balance a game. I guess I wish that, in some ways, this game could be something it's not and ensure both sides have fun, while simultaneously making wildly a-historical deep penetrations, not impossible, but an exception rather than a rule.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (3/16/2016 10:26:12 PM)

Currently running some tests in January of 44 to ensure all late-game assets are working properly.

I still need plane top art - I've reached out in the aircraft art request thread but haven't had any takers.

Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI